Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I don't know how one can select anything other than "not at all satisfied" when it comes to Blues Brothers 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Uthor posted:

I don't know how one can select anything other than "not at all satisfied" when it comes to Blues Brothers 2000.

Maybe his search led him to realize he shouldn't watch it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
My wife wants to know what everyone uses for tracking water consumption. I found a few that look okay but I'm sure people here already know the best ones.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LastInLine posted:

My wife wants to know what everyone uses for tracking water consumption. I found a few that look okay but I'm sure people here already know the best ones.
my water utilities show that info on the bill every month

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

peepsalot posted:

my water utilities show that info on the bill every month

Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water? Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?

revolther
May 27, 2008

LastInLine posted:

If it's personal water consumption, there are smart water bottles (or lids) you can find on amazon that work with the various health apps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Android browser chat: What do you guys use? I don't like Chrome and I've been using Firefox for years but lately I'm using Firefox Focus and I'm liking Microsoft Edge (it feels like the desktop browser).

I have five different browsers installed right now and can't settle on using only one. Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge and Firefox Focus.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Firefox because of uBlock origin

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

revolther posted:

If it's personal water consumption, there are smart water bottles (or lids) you can find on amazon that work with the various health apps.

Also worth considering, a decent reusable metal or glass bottle. If she needs to track exact ounces, just count #refills in literally any note or keep type app (or an index card), then multiply it by 12oz or 25oz or whatever at the end of the day. If she wants to clear a gallon per day of water separately from other drinks, great, even less work since it's counting up then stopping.

bronin posted:

Yeah, Firefox is great for crazy comprehensive extension support and keeping a non-Chrome history for disposable reading. uBlock lets you skip shady mobile ads, Stylish lets you force every site to be OLED-optimized :3

Also, unless something's recently changed, it still runs Flash junk as a tap-to-play content field. Not that it's a real perk in 2017, but handy if you want that for some reason.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 31, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bronin posted:

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, Firefox is great for crazy comprehensive extension support and keeping a non-Chrome history for disposable reading. uBlock lets you skip shady mobile ads, Stylish lets you force every site to be OLED-optimized :3

Also, unless something's recently changed, it still runs Flash junk as a tap-to-play content field. Not that it's a real perk in 2017, but handy if you want that for some reason.

I removed Opera (not even using it anymore on my PC) and will try to use Firefox with ublock always. I'm honestly thinking on watching YouTube always on Firefox with ublock because I hate waiting for ads when I just want to watch some lovely YouTube video.

Is there any good addon for Firefox that shows my bookmarks in a screen instead of navigating through menus like on my desktop?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Water? Like in toilets?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Water? Like in toilets?

It doesn't even have electrolytes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sweart gliwere posted:

Also worth considering, a decent reusable metal or glass bottle. If she needs to track exact ounces, just count #refills in literally any note or keep type app (or an index card), then multiply it by 12oz or 25oz or whatever at the end of the day. If she wants to clear a gallon per day of water separately from other drinks, great, even less work since it's counting up then stopping.

If I remember right, you still need to have the Flash for Android application installed for the tap-to-play Flash content to work in Firefox, and that can be annoying to hunt down since Adobe last updated and supported it several years back. Good for when you need to get into some horrible line of business web app in a hurry though!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

sweart gliwere posted:

What style is this? I grabbed Firefox and stylish but all I see on their website is a lot of desktop styles.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

What style is this? I grabbed Firefox and stylish but all I see on their website is a lot of desktop styles.

any of the night mode or blacked out ones should work

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CascadeBeta posted:

You can search for global themes through wherever Stylish sends your FF mobile browser, some even apply theming to Firefox menu screens with mixed results (Black Coffee).

I've used "Global Black #color AMOLED" and "Pitch Black" and some others, you just toggle them as individual add-ons after enabling the Stylish add-on and installing them.

I don't bother with styles that alter the actual layout if that's what you meant, since many sites so mobile acceptably these days.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

sweart gliwere posted:

You can search for global themes through wherever Stylish sends your FF mobile browser, some even apply theming to Firefox menu screens with mixed results (Black Coffee).

I've used "Global Black #color AMOLED" and "Pitch Black" and some others, you just toggle them as individual add-ons after enabling the Stylish add-on and installing them.

I don't bother with styles that alter the actual layout if that's what you meant, since many sites so mobile acceptably these days.

All the themes I've tried to install want to do it on a desktop, not mobile.

Edit: OK now it installed and I'm not sure what I did differently. Oh well. :shrug:

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 31, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Android browser chat: What do you guys use? I don't like Chrome and I've been using Firefox for years but lately I'm using Firefox Focus and I'm liking Microsoft Edge (it feels like the desktop browser).

I used FF with uBlock for a while, but I switched to the Brave browser.

I find browsers based on Chromium to be way faster than FF on mobile, and it's basically identical to the default Chrome on Android, except it has built in ad/tracker blocking.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

LastInLine posted:

This is the best no-BS (ads, need to sign in, etc.) one I could find.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Pvt. Parts posted:

This is the best no-BS (ads, need to sign in, etc.) one I could find.

Thanks I'll pass it along.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Does anyone else run Pocket Casts with Tasker integration on Oreo? My Nexus 6P received an OTA update yesterday, and my Tasker action (resume playback when bluetooth speaker is connected) stopped working.

edit: I have the latest Pocket Casts if it matters

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Has the Chrome "Add Shortcut to Home Screen" thing vanished, or is it hiding somewhere I cant find it? I'm running Chrome Beta and Chrome and cant se it in either since a few days ago.

If it's gone, 1) WHY!?! and 2) Whats my best alternative?

E: ^^^ Re Pocket Casts auto play. I dont know about PC & Tasker specifically, but Podcast Addict has that feature built in, including filtering between bluetooth devices. I switched earlier this year from many years with PocketCasts and have not looked back.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 2, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm running chrome beta and add to home screen is still under the three dots menu.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

MeKeV posted:

E: ^^^ Re Pocket Casts auto play. I dont know about PC & Tasker specifically, but Podcast Addict has that feature built in, including filtering between bluetooth devices. I switched earlier this year from many years with PocketCasts and have not looked back.

Yeah, if I'm switching to something else, it will be Podcast Addict

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've been using BeyondPod for ages but finally got round to rooting my Moto G3 so decided to try out Podcast Addicts & PocketCasts. Pocket Casts was incredibly laggy and unresponsive, pressing the fast forward button would literally take 10 seconds to jump (while still playing), and Podcast Addicts seems to be killing my battery.

Any idea of what would be causing either of those? If I can't resolve them then back to BeyondPod for me.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

I've been using BeyondPod for ages but finally got round to rooting my Moto G3 so decided to try out Podcast Addicts & PocketCasts. Pocket Casts was incredibly laggy and unresponsive, pressing the fast forward button would literally take 10 seconds to jump (while still playing), and Podcast Addicts seems to be killing my battery.

Any idea of what would be causing either of those? If I can't resolve them then back to BeyondPod for me.

Are you streaming with Podcast Addict, or downloading the file and playing back locally? If you're not the latter, try it, I imagine it should be a big improvement.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Not streamed, all downloaded to my SD card and played at 1.3x speed, the same as I'd do on BeyondPod.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does Podcast Addict have an option to auto download podcasts once they are added to the playlist? That's one thing I miss from Pocket Casts which I had to abandon because the support for password protected feeds was not where I needed it to be.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

Not streamed, all downloaded to my SD card and played at 1.3x speed, the same as I'd do on BeyondPod.

Might be the 1.3x, I think I remember seeing a lot worse battery life when I was listening to things sped up. Afraid I don't really have a solution, I stopped listening to things at increased speed partly because of that issue and partly because I realized I was putting unrealistic expectations on my time and getting unnecessarily stressed (that part's probably more "just me").

Incessant Excess posted:

Does Podcast Addict have an option to auto download podcasts once they are added to the playlist? That's one thing I miss from Pocket Casts which I had to abandon because the support for password protected feeds was not where I needed it to be.

Sort of, the way I know offhand to accomplish this is sort of reverse. Under Playlist settings, I have it set to automatically add downloaded episodes to the playlist. So rather than adding an episode to the playlist in order for it to be downloaded, I would hit an episode to download and it gets added to the playlist.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Guillermus posted:

I have five different browsers installed right now and can't settle on using only one. Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge and Firefox Focus.

Firefox Beta with uBlock Origin.

Also been playing around with FireFox Nightly as that is the mobile version delivering the speed boosts Mozilla's been working on.

sweart gliwere posted:

All Flash support ended with the latest mobile Firefox version.

Guillermus posted:

I removed Opera (not even using it anymore on my PC) and will try to use Firefox with ublock always. I'm honestly thinking on watching YouTube always on Firefox with ublock because I hate waiting for ads when I just want to watch some lovely YouTube video.

Is there any good addon for Firefox that shows my bookmarks in a screen instead of navigating through menus like on my desktop?

Not quite what you asked for, but you can set bookmarks as the default page a new tab opens to via Settings -> General -> Home -> Panels.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

MeKeV posted:

Has the Chrome "Add Shortcut to Home Screen" thing vanished, or is it hiding somewhere I cant find it? I'm running Chrome Beta and Chrome and cant se it in either since a few days ago.

If it's gone, 1) WHY!?! and 2) Whats my best alternative?

er, 'Add to Home screen' is still there in the overflow menu. If a website is open in an incognito tab it won't let you add it to the home screen, though, which kind of makes sense I think?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Hmmm, how odd. I wonder if it matters what home app you're using? I'm on advance launcher, though I've been using that for years and the option was still there a few weeks ago.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Huh. Stock everything Pixel 2:

must be a special corner of hell reserved exclusively for the guy who invented server-side switches.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Manky posted:

Sort of, the way I know offhand to accomplish this is sort of reverse. Under Playlist settings, I have it set to automatically add downloaded episodes to the playlist. So rather than adding an episode to the playlist in order for it to be downloaded, I would hit an episode to download and it gets added to the playlist.

Thanks for this tip, takes a couple steps out of the process at least.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MeKeV posted:

Hmmm, how odd. I wonder if it matters what home app you're using? I'm on advance launcher, though I've been using that for years and the option was still there a few weeks ago.

Works for me. You're also missing bookmarks and history from your menu.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

Works for me. You're also missing bookmarks and history from your menu.

Recent versions of Chrome have bookmarks and history in a swipe up jobby from the address bar

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Recent versions of Chrome have bookmarks and history in a swipe up jobby from the address bar

smdh garbage

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
No doubt the bottom bar "Chrome Home" is terrible unintuitive trash.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now I'm used to it I quite like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As much as I tried to use both the desktop and android Chrome app, never got the feel and always ended using Firefox even if it's slower.