Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

:siren: Latest News: :siren:
Both physical and e-Store versions of EOV now available in both the US and EU regions; Persona Q & Mystery Dungeon sequels coming out "eventually, who knows."

holy poo poo y’all, it finally came out! mother. loving.
!

Welcome to the new megathread for Etrian Odyssey. For those of you new to the series, it was born from creator Kazuya Niinou’s fond memories of drawing his own dungeon maps back in the heyday of Wizardry & Bard’s Tale. When the DS came along with its handy touchscreen that let you do away with the graph paper, he seized the moment and the series has been steadily chugging along ever since. There are now five mainline EO titles, 3DS remakes of the first two, and multiple spin-offs marrying the gameplay to the Persona and Mystery Dungeon series. (Admittedly with questionable results, but more on that later.)

That it survived this long is perhaps less surprising than one might think. ATLUS continues to tinker with the math and systems underlying the core gameplay with each release. Every Etrian game revolves around sending a party of 5 to chart a 1st-person labyrinth filled with challenging battles. However changes in the available classes, and the mechanics backing them, mean each game plays differently.

In addition to the cartography, the series’ other signature is the FOE system. FOEs (either ‘Field-on Enemy’ or ‘Formido Oppagnatura Exsequens,’ depending on whether you’re trying to awkwardly cram meaning into the anagram in Japanese or English) are the elite spawns to the random encounter’s trash mobs. They show up as visible models on the top screen and map icons on the bottom, taking one (or more) steps for each of yours, and each turn spent in battle. Some passively patrol an area, others aggro on spotting you and hunt you down. All are incredibly rude, and will even barge into an ongoing battle if they catch up.

They can be killed, and most won’t respawn for 7 in-game days. However assuming you’re strong enough to do so, the hit to your party’s resources makes this spectacularly ill-advised if you want to make progress. Thus, figuring out how to avoid FOEs is a key part of exploring most floors of the labyrinth.

Etrian Odyssey V offers a 'back to basics' approach, when it comes to exploring the labyrinth. Gone are EO III & IV's sailing and airship mechanics, or the Untold games' smaller secondary dungeons. Instead there's you, there's the giant tree what has the labyrinth inside, and you're gonna climb it and probably get wiped out a bunch in the process. Always save your map data when offered. However things have changed a lot when it comes to creating your team of fighting cartographers. In previous games, your class meant everything--your stats, your race, the whole shebang. In EOV there are four playable races, each with their own stat growths, and you can switch them to any class you choose (along with selecting hair/eye/skin color & voice, with no gender restriction on the latter if you want to make Etrian Mike Tyson or something). Not all races will be equally good at any given class, but there are some fun synergies to be gained by occasionally playing against type.

The Lineage:

Nintendo DS:

Rough around the edges, but they launched the franchise. Of the 3 games, EOIII features major improvements in playability as well as one of the series' most distinctive class list. The first two aren't bad by any means, and many of the posters in this thread owe their addiction to playing them. However, with faithful-but-more-polished remakes of I & II available on the 3DS, there's little to recommend them beyond historical curiosity. Of course you could also scratch that itch by reading some of the thread regulars' many quality LPs!

Nintendo 3DS:

The great leap forward. Right off the bat, the series' move to the 3DS allowed for many improvements. Better graphics capabilities resulted in far superior draw distance while exploring the labyrinth, as well as actual enemy models so you can tell a a F.O.E's facing and what it is before you fight it. 'Untold' is the moniker applied to the remakes of the first two games in the original trilogy. In addition to the graphical improvements of EOIV, they also added a Story Mode. Story mode restricts your starting party composition to the 5 specific classes you start with. No additional characters can be created. In exchange, your characters get, well, actual character: voice acted dialogue, plot, etc. Fairly bare-bones by JRPG standards but for some people that's enough. However the general preference is for Classic Mode, allowing you to ditch the added plot and explore the Labyrinth with whatever combination of classes you choose.

The Spin-Offs:
there are a couple others, but they're japan-only phone games so i don't give a fuuuuuck

Hey! Do you like Persona 3 & 4 or the Mystery Dungeon series? Well what would you say to flaying Etrian Odyssey and draping those series in its skin? No, I kid, I kid... For one thing, Persona Q is an Etrian Odyssey game wearing the flayed skin of Persona 3 & 4 instead! :v:

As you might guess from my description, reaction to these was mixed. Persona Q has some fairly glaring gameplay balance issues, and the mazes gradually become grueling slogs even by EO standards. It is a chance to see the cast of both games bounce off each other, which is kind of fun (if superficially done). I like that it exists, however I wouldn't choose it as the introduction to the Etrian series. Nice opening, tho'. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is... well, a Mystery Dungeon game; you know, a Rogue-like. It's not terrible if you like them, but it tends to be a pain to coordinate a 4-person party through corridors only wide enough for one, among other things. Balance still not great. The Pokemon Mystery Dungeons games are a more polished product, if you can believe it.

HOW IN THE ACTUAL gently caress DOES ALL THIS WORK IN PRACTICE HUH?
My friend, why not peruse these nifty LPs (mostly) by thread regulars?

COMPLETE:
ONGOING:
and theshim basically does nothing but insane single-character-class challenges, we're all very worried about him

Real talk: if you're getting started, find it overwhelming and the FAQ isn't cutting it, just ask in the thread. We love these games, probably too much, because there isn't anything else quite like them and consequently filled about 400 pages in the last one doing nothing but chatting about gameplay mechanics, music and which portraits we want to smooch bitching about squirrels. We don't need much prompting to offer advice, regardless of which game you're playing. Hell, I'm pretty sure we have complete datamining rips of every game in the series at this point. At long last, definitive proof that the Abyssal God boss fight is, in fact, total cheating bullshit! We've got you covered, is what I'm saying.

If you happen to be capable of reading kanji at a fluent level the absurdly comprehensive wikis maintained by the Japanese fandom are also an option. The rest of you are stuck with us and GameFAQs. :v:

:siren: The Beginner's EOV FAQ (so far): :siren:
  • Class specializations (or 'Legendary Names') are unlocked after completing the 2nd Stratum. They provide an additional set of skills, and increased gains for certain attributes.
  • 'Advanced' is the base difficulty, while 'Basic' is a flat 20% buff to you, and 20% debuff to enemies. It's still harder than the Picnic mode of previous 3DS games however, so if you attempt to auto-battle everything, you will die.
  • Armor is important again, contrary to its much-reduced value in EO 3 & 4. If you try wandering around the labyrinth in nothing but tweed and sandals, you will die.
  • Stats are determined in large part by race, and in small part by specialization. Base class does not play a role at all. :biotruths:
  • Each race's base stats are suited to their default classes. Some specializations benefit from cross-classing, but it's not required.
  • '<blank> Mastery' skills provide next to no benefits in the early game, only the Shaman's Prayer Mastery is worthwhile.
  • Pugilists, Fencers, Masurao, Dragoons, Warlocks, Rovers and Botanists can more or less pull their weight from level 1. Shamans, Necromancers & Harbingers are extremely point-hungry and consequently trickier to use effectively prior to lv. 5-8 or so.
  • Union Skills are not super-moves, you should be spamming them any time they look useful. Encounters are balanced around it.
  • The only DLC consists of portraits from old games, repeatable grinding quests for money/XP, and an FM-synth version of the soundtrack.
  • Respeccing a character costs 2 levels, but refunds all skill points and lets you pick a new specialization if you have them unlocked.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

By request, links to previous iterations of the megathread:
Goon Guild QR Codes
There are scripted events (or 'Adventure Episodes') that take place as you explore the labyrinth, which frequently includes encounters with other guilds generated by streetpassing other EOV players or scanning their QR codes at Jenetta's Inn. The guild selected (it seems to be randomly chosen out of the registered cards) won't influence these, but you can also add a pre-selected party member from each card so registered to your own guild as a guest. Otherwise you're stuck with Conrad "Here Comes a Special Boy" Freeblade, of Guild Freeblade, a permanently level 5 fencer with no skill points invested.

Just FYI, these are apparently region-locked because gently caress you I guess? No EU and US crossovers allowed, so try scanning a couple if they aren't working. If you have a New 3DS and don't want to unscrew the case, you can also upload your microSD card contents wirelessly with this. (Thanks to Strange Quark for the link.)

Fortuitous Bumble

Batigh

TheOneAndOnlyT

JimmyHats

Dr. Fetus

The White Dragon

Rangpur

sethimothy

Elfface (EU Guild)

WhalerWren (EU Guild)

nekoxid (EU Guild)

also class write-ups later, I guess?

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 2, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Always trust a squirrel, for they are your friends. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ground floor

Announce a new game Atlus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like this video game series. It is good. :hai:

EO3U when

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

EO3 had the best OST

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also seriously Atlus, what the gently caress were you thinking with the EO3 Superboss!?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I read this in your LP thread and I'm still utterly fascinated by it. I never fought Abyssal God and now I'm extremely glad I didn't. Jesus god. Like is the intention that players will find the cheesiest possible cheese strategy?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PS Rangpur please link the previous 2 threads in the OP, I still like going back to them for reasons

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I decided to start a second playthrough for shiggles.

Right now I’m running:

Fencer/Masurao
Shaman/Herbalist/Necromancer

I don’t really have much in the way of defense aside Fierce Shield; my strategy is basically “chain nuke everything down ASAP or die”. It’s worked surprisingly well so far in spite of that, and I’ve successfully dropped both the Toxipede and Owl Bear. I am a big worried about the Iron Crustacean and Amalgolem, but we’ll burn those bridges when we come to them.

Any tips for a party comp like this (besides ‘roll a new party’?)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

Always trust a squirrel, for they are your friends. :)
Squirrels know what is best for your party.

then they do the exact opposite thing

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Ground floor.

EO5 is good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've only wandered round the first floor a bit, not even done the quest, and it's still the demo, but I was enjoying V. Then other stuff came out and it just sort of got forgotten. Will need to sort that.

e: also Team Draw Floor Under the Stairs 4 lyfe

McDragon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 3, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Janetta is the best part of EO5.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yay the physical version of EO5 Is out today!

Boo I can't afford it just yet!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Meet the new thread, same as the old thread

I should probably actually get back to 5 at some point

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

PS Rangpur please link the previous 2 threads in the OP, I still like going back to them for reasons
I'm not sure I even have a link to the first thread anymore, nor do I have the archives upgrade. Anyone who happens to have it, feel free to chime in. I'll edit in a link to the second one, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's not in the archives at all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516418

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
My order from Amazon failed to deliver today!

Is anyone else in the UK having issues? Is this a good excuse to finish 4 and play through the untolds?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Jesus Christ, Buster Cannon with Overextertion is bonkers. Except when cursed, gently caress you headless armor

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. I guess threads in games last longer than I thought? Either way, links to the previous 2 megathreads are now available in the 2nd post to anyone who wants to refer back to them.

edit: what are the options for inflicting curse? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth burning a formaldehyde on the Undead King's conditional drop.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk how useful the skill sims are at this point, but the atwiki should still be linked in the OP.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finally getting around to starting this game. Haven't done much with chaser parties before, so I'm thinking Chain Fencer + Combo Pugilist / Hound Rover + Phys Warlock + Herald Shaman. Does this sound workable? I'm also thinking about dropping the Pugilist for a Dragoon for more safety, though the Pugilist's damage buff seems really strong with a party that ties so much of its damage to one attacker.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
About time we had a new megathread. Etrian Odyssey is one of my all-time favorite game series.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Huh. I guess threads in games last longer than I thought? Either way, links to the previous 2 megathreads are now available in the 2nd post to anyone who wants to refer back to them.

edit: what are the options for inflicting curse? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth burning a formaldehyde on the Undead King's conditional drop.

Harbinger has a curse skill.

That said, trying to kill an enemy with curse damage is astoundingly tedious and annoying even once you inflict curse. That's basically the condition that I save formaldehyde for every time.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Finally getting around to starting this game. Haven't done much with chaser parties before, so I'm thinking Chain Fencer + Combo Pugilist / Hound Rover + Phys Warlock + Herald Shaman. Does this sound workable? I'm also thinking about dropping the Pugilist for a Dragoon for more safety, though the Pugilist's damage buff seems really strong with a party that ties so much of its damage to one attacker.

Extremely workable, yes. It's really close to my own party (I replaced the Rover with a Harbinger) and it's going great. You'll be reliant on your Rover (and items) for healing early on, because Shaman doesn't get much healing until you get master titles at the end of the 2nd stratum, but it's a strong party build overall.

Pugilist's Overexertion damage buff is extra awesome on a Chain Fencer because the HP penalty it inflicts only happens once per skill use. That means the Fencer will lose HP when they ready their chain skill, but not every time the chain activates. They can get a ton of mileage out of that damage boost, basically.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 3, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Idk how useful the skill sims are at this point, but the atwiki should still be linked in the OP.
Fair enough. Added under the LP links in the OP

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The LP did help me a little with things, which was nice. Especially when quest item names were apparently not translated the same each time. :argh:

And I will settle on a party. Eventually. It's gonna happen.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 3, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
When is jenetta party member dlc??? We know she has voicing done because she joins you for a quest...

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oh hey ground floor.

The second normal battle music for EOV is very pretty and nice, good surprise after beating the Undead King. The EO5 LP made me worry my team was underleveled for him but he was surprisingly easier than I thought, and fun too!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Jimmy Hats posted:

When is jenetta party member dlc??? We know she has voicing done because she joins you for a quest...

You can edit your save to give one of your characters Jenetta's voice, if you want.

Theoretically you could also set their portrait to Jenetta.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
The funniest part of all that Abyssal God poo poo is the fact that they seem to expect you to fight it at level 80. Uhh, no?

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I wonder if you could finagle Fierce Shield to get more out of Curse? If you can manage to stop the ghost from outright dying, it would take substantially more damage than a party member, and presumably cause more curse damage back at the enemy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just barely started out, but does my current party have enough synergy?

Fencer/Dragoon/Pugilist
Warlock/Rover

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Violently Car posted:

The funniest part of all that Abyssal God poo poo is the fact that they seem to expect you to fight it at level 80. Uhh, no?

there's a lot of things that eo3 expects you to do that don't line up at all because design????

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Which is too bad, because 3 still has my favorite theme and classes, and I enjoyed the ocean sailing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's the big reason why I want EO3U so they can actually balance the game. It would become my absolute favorite if it did.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah EO3U would be great. I started the series with EO3 and loved it but it did have some poo poo design decisions.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Kibagami in a dress better be the female lead with next-game class

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

jenetta and mirina are good and the best part of eo5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Eo4 still best EO due entirely to tharsis count