Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you forked out a grand for iphonex you might as well use faceid which has actually been made with a lot of thought and care put into its security implementation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you forked out a grand for iphonex you might as well use faceid which has actually been made with a lot of thought and care put into its security implementation

that way if you get arrested leo have no problem accessing your phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

just use it for your app store purchases or something if you sleep like a vietnam vet from an anecdote

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

yah they can lovingly come and point the phone at your face down in the holding cells every time the screen lock times out

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it is however idiotic that you can use touchid to access your entire web keychain right now, i’m assuming you can use faceid to do the same, that’s a very real privacy concern right there

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

are you implying they wouldn't just trap you in a room and spend some quality time with the rubber truncheon until you squeaked out the passcode?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
guess you could take a picture of your dilz as the unlock, don't know how good the zoom is on the front camera tho :newlol:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

are you implying they wouldn't just trap you in a room and spend some quality time with the rubber truncheon until you squeaked out the passcode?

well, they still might do that just because those sociopaths think that's a good Friday night.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
somebody needs to try out FaceID on a dead person (that previously registered their face) to see if it works. could be a huge breakthrough in criminal investigations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

somebody needs to try out FaceID on a dead person (that previously registered their face) to see if it works. could be a huge breakthrough in criminal investigations.

iPhone X2 with IR sensors so you can't have a Weekend at Bernie's sitch

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I know, I know. It’s insured but that’s not good enough to avoid heat from the wife.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the best thing about the iPhone X is that it’s a big screen but it fits in your hand really well so you can use all the swipe gesture bullshit to go forward and back on stuff

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ayyy

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
lol

cryptic error message when enabling WiFi calling. anyone else getting this? my money is it’s just at&t suckin dick though.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

when can I buy an unlocked iPhone X from Apple?

right now in canada

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

when can I buy an unlocked iPhone X from Apple?

Anywhere except the US, because in the land of the free freedom only applies to corporations

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I think you can just buy the Verizon one. i don’t think it’s really carrier locked and it’s got a gsm radio on it too.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if the only threat model you can think of is one where a hostile government entity is specifically targeting you, then your security is probably good enough

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

el
em
ayyyyyyyy
oh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
that is just a hideously ugly phone design

seriously, it looks like something samsung made two years ago

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it looks really good in person

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

I'm the tears, I suppose

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actually this is very cool and good and will sell like hotcakes. having crack screens is the new status symbol of being cool and down to earth, not obsessed with material goods and having the latest phone, like you've seen some poo poo go down, a real weathered and cool person

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Xaris posted:

actually this is very cool and good and will sell like hotcakes. having crack screens is the new status symbol of being cool and down to earth, not obsessed with material goods and having the latest phone, like you've seen some poo poo go down, a real weathered and cool person

wabi sabi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I find that the most annoying gesture on the phone is the swipe up gesture, and now you have to use it for almost everything lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does it work when the keyboard ios out

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The camera survived well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

akadajet posted:

I find that the most annoying gesture on the phone is the swipe up gesture, and now you have to use it for almost everything lol.

swiping down for control center seems even worse for me, considering you have to use your other hand

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MrMoo posted:

The camera survived well.

why don’t they just make the whole phone out of the same camera materials 🤯

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
slap some shower grip tape on it, be as good as new

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

:how:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

does it work when the keyboard ios out

yeah. they put a gap between the bottom of the keyboard and the bottom of the screen which is oddly unsightly, but is more comfortable to use than putting it all the way at the bottom

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

is this the after shot from one of those youtube channels that purposely breaks new apple products

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is this the after shot from one of those youtube channels that purposely breaks new apple products

i'm hoping it's from someone trying to remove a pop socket

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

looks like it's from trying to use wireless charging lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

akadajet posted:

looks like it's from trying to use wireless charging lol

the iphonex shatters into a million glass shards with normal use

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
also, the $1000 phone probably needs a screen saver

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208191 posted:

If you look at an OLED display off-angle, you might notice slight shifts in color and hue. This is a characteristic of OLED and is normal behavior. With extended long-term use, OLED displays can also show slight visual changes. This is also expected behavior and can include “image persistence” or “burn-in,” where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We’ve engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in."
Avoid displaying static images at maximum brightness for long periods of time. If you have an app that keeps your display on when you aren’t actively using your iPhone X, you can temporarily reduce the brightness level using Control Center.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

apple having hard lesson learned with its first phones that are glass on the front and back

wa...

wait :thunk:

quiet down u babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
faeces id