Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cascade was the most boring for me. Felt really homogenous over the whole map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Just finished the main game and found Yoshi and the Mario 64 outfit. :five:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Luncheon kingdom kind of sucks.

i think the art style is a bit crap but the level design is maybe the best one in the game? once you get hat jumps and dives down that mountain area is F U N

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Luncheon is probably the best lava level I've seen in a game. Its tied with the Lost Kingdom for my favorite level both aesthetically and gameplay wise. A big part of that is it feels more like a 64 level than a lot of other stages. It a big map with clearly defined paths through it but also a lot of side stuff to explore. Many platforming challenges are built into the stage as well rather than separated in void areas. Climbing up to the peak was a very fun experience that reminded me of scaling Tall Tall Mountain.

When I first saw the level in previews I didn't care for the aesthetic but seeing it ingame I really like it. It looks like Super Paper Mario in 3D and not lovely. The forks are adorable.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

alf_pogs posted:

i think the art style is a bit crap but the level design is maybe the best one in the game? once you get hat jumps and dives down that mountain area is F U N

I used to hate that part until I did the Races there. Now I love it for forcing me to get great with the hat jumps. Being able to get around that level revolves around learning the jumping mechanics, if you can't get them down, getting around is a chore.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

I love the giant crystalline food rocks. The shrimp rocks were my favorite.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hedrigall posted:

Cascade was the most boring for me. Felt really homogenous over the whole map.
Cascade should get some leniency for being a small tutorial level, basically. I'm not disagreeing - even doing more with the waterfalls would have been nice - but like, it's the first world.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite is sand kingdom. Maybe big open worlds would have gotten old if that was all there was but I really liked it

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I think it's bullshit that the snow level was a small 50-coin one but the seaside level was huge.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

New Donk City's probably my favourite level. It's fantastic.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Beach level is probably my least favorite, and I’m not really looking forward to going back and clearing all the moons on that, though I think it might be next on my painting warp tour (I’ve currently got 157 moons waiting to be sent to the odyssey)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

New Donk City's probably my favourite level. It's fantastic.

it really is. you can see why it was so heavy in the promos, its just a great centerpiece

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Worst levels in the game are the water ones. Not because I think they're bad but because there's two fuckin' water levels and no haunted house levels what the gently caress nintendo.

Also I'm not entirely sure what to do now. I took my time and I'm still kinda wanting more content.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress the level that opens up after the end dark side of the moon. I always found the boss fights completely unfun (though not hard when you only have to do one). Doing them all back to back sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I legitimately liked the Dark Side fights. After a few deaths you just kinda learn alternate ways to end phases early or skip them entirely and it's fun to perfect those fights and learn all their tricks. Except with Spewart he's just kinda super easy and simple from the get-go. Mecha-Broodal after the 4 fights would've been an issue but the Hammer Bros outrange them so heavily it's a lot easier than at Bowser Kingdom.

Kinda wish I knew about the free 6 heart pickup before I beat them though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I just finished Darker Side. That was a long rear end stage. And the annoying thing was that on my very last attempt, the one that was successful--I figured out a shortcut that I never got to use! Grrrr.

I almost want a 100% urban Mario game now. You can do forest zone/desert zone/ice zone/water zone/lava zone/ghost zone in a city. Cities be varied as gently caress. And Kyoto isn't quite the same urban night that Tokyo can be so they got no excuse not to do it.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 5, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Worst levels in the game are the water ones. Not because I think they're bad but because there's two fuckin' water levels and no haunted house levels what the gently caress nintendo.

Also I'm not entirely sure what to do now. I took my time and I'm still kinda wanting more content.

The first world is kind of a haunted place, though all the ghosts are friendly. I like that it's all made out of felt.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a Fork Person in the Wooded Kingdom who says he needs fire to cook, which I presume is a Power Moon situation. Thing is, I can't parse what I'm supposed to do. I tried using a fast-move fire plant to schlep from one segment to another, but I've ran over it twice and that sure doesn't work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's other sources of fire

capture a fire bro

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finally gave up and looked up what to do for "Sphynx Traveling to the Waterfall"

gently caress you game :colbert:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sadly, it seems like Nintendo wants to keep Boo/haunted house stuff a Luigi thing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

There's other sources of fire

capture a fire bro

I don't even recall seeing one of those in the game, at all. But good to know they are there, somewhere.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't mind the water levels because they look great and I want to vacation on them but yeah, where the gently caress are the ghost levels? Where are the Boos?

I'm not big on the Wooden Kingdom at all, I love the music but it's overall really lame. Though finding the Deep Forest for the first time was amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 250 moon reward is the last new level, right

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the best haunted mansion boss is still on the switch in kingdom battle. ghost boss in that game is terrific

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ciaphas posted:

The 250 moon reward is the last new level, right

There’s another for 500 moons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is that little gold pipe(?)opening in bowsers kingdom? I blew up some boxes and found it, then went to the top of the pagoda and there seemed to be another end. Can't figure out how to interact with it though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Went to New York today. All I got was the Wedding Bowser amiibo and this mother fucker is heavy. Just how I like my Bowsers. Heavy and girthy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nina posted:

There’s another for 500 moons

Oh my god I have Breath of the Wild and Golf Story and poo poo to play :cry:

Thanks, I'll go look it up

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

veni veni veni posted:

What is that little gold pipe(?)opening in bowsers kingdom? I blew up some boxes and found it, then went to the top of the pagoda and there seemed to be another end. Can't figure out how to interact with it though.

I don't actually know but if I had to guess: try going in there with the gold costume?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

As far as outfits go, I shouldn’t be upset that Odyssey has a full on Mario 64 skin for Mario, but the Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi outfits are literally just their clothes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LODGE NORTH posted:

As far as outfits go, I shouldn’t be upset that Odyssey has a full on Mario 64 skin for Mario, but the Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi outfits are literally just their clothes.

To be fair, that would involve modeling and animating 3 distinct body types just for those costumes. I wish they had done it, but I'm not really surprised that they didn't.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
rocking that diddy kong outfit

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

veni veni veni posted:

There is something in the level that you have to use multiple times that can interact with it. It's not a costume.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LODGE NORTH posted:

Went to New York today. All I got was the Wedding Bowser amiibo and this mother fucker is heavy. Just how I like my Bowsers. Heavy and girthy.

Hell yes :kimchi:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 5, 2017

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You suck :mad:

Don't insult the perfect fork boys.

For some reason seeing a fork-person like that with two tines bent up like little arms is 1000x creepier to me than assuming they had no arms and 4 tine-legs and just magically hopped around. Maybe because it makes me think of the sausage boy from Mr. Show.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love the late endgame detective work when you have <5 moons left in a kingdom and try to decipher Talkatoo hints

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Finally gave up and looked up what to do for "Sphynx Traveling to the Waterfall"

gently caress you game :colbert:

Yeah this was the first moon I gave up and looked online for

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Finished the game and I loved the HD Rumble on the carbonated beach level. Jumping into the water felt like I was holding a small can of soda each time.

After the final sequence of playing as Bowser I now want some kind of brawler beat-em-up game where you get to play as Bowser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/Zaggitz/status/927010316075933696

Finally my nightmare is over.

• Locked thread