Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Some of your assertions are not strictly true. It isn't impossible for Apple to come up with the 1 : million number, and it's not even impossible for them to test that number.

The thing about the probability is that it is likely an algorithmic calculation based on the probability of collisions in their image hash. It's not a real-world tested number, but it is likely generated by taking a massive database of sample images that are run through the facial recognition software and then checked for collisions - "matches" that are invalid. If they take 1000 images and run them through their software and 2 images match - that gives you a 2 / 1,000,000 probability that any two random faces will be erroneously matched by their software.

In fact, you would need 1,414 unique images to generate a testable 1 / 1,000,000 probability.

Now what will happen is that facial recognition will be too restrictive to start with. Different lighting conditions, different angles... it's a hard problem. If people complain that its too hard to unlock their phone because facial recognition isn't reliable enough, if it needs optimal conditions to work, then what is likely to happen is an adjustment to the algorithm to loosen those constraints. But this is a sliding scale, the more you loosen those constraints, the more likely collisions will occur. It's a balancing act between convenience and security - and that's a juggling act that will always have SOMEONE complaining about.

There are many reasons I don't like the idea of using facial recognition to unlock a device, but I won't get into them here. Accessibility wise there might be a use case where it makes sense, though I don't know what that use case is. For the general public though, I don't consider this a net positive feature.

Then, another e-mail an hour later (and just as interesting).

There are a couple of confounding factors that may cause the actual incidence of collisions being higher than the statistical incidence of collisions.

Consider a random (representative) sampling of test data, and select 1500 images. If you get a single collision, that would translate into slightly less than 1 collision per million comparisons.

But the distribution of people who look at your phone is not random, nor representative. Consider all the people in the world, which of those people is going to be mostly likely to be misidentified as you by an algorithm? The answer: your closest blood relatives. Your brothers and sisters especially (due to aging factors). What this means is that the people around you that are most likely to mistakenly unlock your phone are also the ones closest to you.

Now consider this. The chance that any random person has an identical twin is roughly 1 in 150. So if you consider a geographic sampling of people as opposed to a purely random sampling, the actual likelihood of a false-positive match is 1 in 45,000 simply due to the existence of identical twins. This is a problem that isn't likely to come up in a random image sample due to the astronomical odds of selecting BOTH twins (which is somewhere in the range of 1 in 363 billion that a sample of 1500 single portrait photos will contain pictures of each twin).

So the likelihood of your phone being able to be unlocked by another person is actually MUCH higher than 1 in a million (it's actually somewhat more frequent than 1 in 45,000).

But the numbers that Apple is giving you (although it is not explicitly stated since as far as I know they haven't published their methodology) isn't the probability that your brother or sister can unlock your phone. What they are telling you is that if your phone is stolen by a stranger, the odds of that stranger being able to unlock your phone because their face is a collision with yours is 1 in a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
face ID works great and the phone owns

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
enjoy getting your face ripped off :black101:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

you can crash most apple watches by asking Siri for the weather

future

uh how do you ask because its never been a problem with any siris for me

its one of the few things it does consistently right whereas it cant tell 15 and 50 for timers so im always setting timers for 49 minutes

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
For me it doesn't even work for timers. Well it does but acts like it doesn't and will add a bunch of steps to replace it if you ask again. Every time.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

emoji posted:

For me it doesn't even work for timers. Well it does but acts like it doesn't and will add a bunch of steps to replace it if you ask again. Every time.

charge your phone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
run that poo poo dry

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

emoji posted:

thats me and reminders where itll get words wrong so i correct it and it seems to set fine but then i get multiple reminders because each typo correction is a new reminder

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

emoji posted:

lmao every single cellphone screenshot has the battery about to die

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL what kind of marble mouths can’t be understood by Siri?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

uh how do you ask because its never been a problem with any siris for me

its one of the few things it does consistently right whereas it cant tell 15 and 50 for timers so im always setting timers for 49 minutes

“hey siri what’s the weather” > apple logo/respring

watchos 4 only i guess

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

“hey siri what’s the weather” > apple logo/respring

watchos 4 only i guess

noice, replicated. looks like the rumor is its a dst defect which given apples track record of clock glitches is very believable

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

emoji posted:

2015 called it wants its non-iphone-x screenshot back

i told it i would take care and also yelled at it MAKE BIDEN RUN FOR PRESIDENT while weeping

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

the "iPhone 8" should be called iPhone 7S and next year's phone should be 8. This year's names throws everything off. Well, that's my piece.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

charge your phone

Looks like it is charging, Jim

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
anyone else having this bug where the little action bar above the keyboard floats in the middle of the screen glitchy touchbar style?

(look below the google search bar)

i can interact with things between the keyboard and the action bar just fine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

face ID works great and the phone owns

congrats on spending over $1000 on a phone

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

echinopsis posted:

run that poo poo dry

isn't it bad to run down your iphone battery?

i thought the old style (nickel cadmium or metahydrye?) were the ones you can't trickle charge

iirc the newer style wont retain as much if you constantly drain them down

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

maskenfreiheit posted:

isn't it bad to run down your iphone battery?

i thought the old style (nickel cadmium or metahydrye?) were the ones you can't trickle charge

iirc the newer style wont retain as much if you constantly drain them down

yes, one deep discharge damages the battery more than dozens of shallow discharge/charge cycles.

battery memory is not a thing with lithium ion batteries, but an occasional complete discharge and recharge cycle does help the battery control circuitry get a better handle on changes in the battery voltage/discharge curve and give a better capacity estimate.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

and the battery circuitry is designed not to let your charge actually fall into "damage" levels as long as you aren't running it down to zero then sticking it in a drawer for a year

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

remember when phone batteries were replaceable?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

emoji posted:

update your phone

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

remember when phone batteries were replaceable?

yeah, poo poo sucked

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Endless Mike posted:

update your phone

that charge level tho

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

hi, it’s me iBooks, sure I’ll pause using the headphone remote. what’s that? start playing again? lol gently caress off

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
iBooks on both the mac and iPhone manages to almost be worse software than iTunes. almost

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've read a bajillion books on iBooks for iPad, iPhone, Mac, and I've never had any issues. Maybe you're holding the iBook wrong?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Last Chance posted:

I've read a bajillion books on iBooks for iPad, iPhone, Mac, and I've never had any issues. Maybe you're holding the iBook wrong?

its insanely dumb to not be able to copy text chunks, or to not be able to export pdfs to other apps from iBooks

its not very well integrated, basically

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
a couple more problems with the x to report. there’s no way to show the battery percent in the top right without swiping down, its completely impossible and the ringtone is different and wrong. fuckin owned over here.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

actionjackson posted:

congrats on spending over $1000 on a phone

thank you it feels good to have gently caress you money

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
actually the iPhone X is the Best iPhone Ever

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uncurable mlady posted:

actually the iPhone X is the Best iPhone Ever

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

its insanely dumb to not be able to copy text chunks, or to not be able to export pdfs to other apps from iBooks

iBooks is for reading books, not copying/exporting them wtf lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

there sure is something insanely dumb in this post but I won’t tell what it is

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Last Chance posted:

i agree, the issue is that apple does not provide Preview for iOS, which is insanely dumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

speaking of iBooks remember when Apple got sued for a possible monopoly on ebooks

and amazon is all like lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i recently bought an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2 for ridiculously cheap at a university book store clearance sale. im gonna read some mad books this winter with my pal, iBooks.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Last Chance posted:

i recently bought an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2 for ridiculously cheap at a university book store clearance sale. im gonna read some mad books this winter with my pal, iBooks.

you’re gonna download comiczeal and read Civil War II and erotic mangas, stop lying to yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
tiReader > iBooks

stock apps are good except when they aren't