Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

nerdman42 posted:

What does that comment even have to do anything

Could be referencing Spacey's, "i'm gay," deflection.

Remember: It's not sexual assault if it's the beginning of a personal growth arc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nerdman42 posted:

What does that comment even have to do anything

I shared a tweet from one of the show's writers and came back to find insanity

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Dead links, bud.

It was just a lovely stone cold / jameela face swap anyway. :iamafag:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Snak posted:

That was a great finale, but possibly the tamest cliffhanger possible. Not that that's a bad thing, but just... the least unexpected thing possible.

Just a winter finale, at least, not the end of the season. And probably not filmed to end here either.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

Just a winter finale, at least, not the end of the season. And probably not filmed to end here either.

Oh, I legit thought there was only 8 episodes in the second season. Thanks a lot, wikipedia.

but also other pages on wikipedia confirmed that there are indeed 13 eps in this season.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Snak posted:

Oh, I legit thought there was only 8 episodes in the second season. Thanks a lot, wikipedia.

but also other pages on wikipedia confirmed that there are indeed 13 eps in this season.
Yes the show comes back in January, the break is due to football.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Good Place and Great News are back in January, but Superstore and Will & Grace come back in early December. Whatevs, NBC

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I think it was just a poorly constructed joke. Rocksicles smokes more weed than I do, I think.

Yeah my bad, i had a thing and i lost it... lack of caffeine. I'm weed free 6 months now... fifo working.

My jokes are way funnier after a zoot, even my reddit karma is suffering.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Good Place and Great News are back in January, but Superstore and Will & Grace come back in early December. Whatevs, NBC

Isn't that at least partly because those shows have larger episode orders than Good Place? And, also, y'know... it's Will & Grace, and your mom will watch it even if it's timeslot is hosed because of football?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

pwn posted:

I don’t mind Superstore. It isn’t great but it isn’t horrible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

That was a great finale, but possibly the tamest cliffhanger possible. Not that that's a bad thing, but just... the least unexpected thing possible.

Nah. I think pretty much everyone figured this whole "Michael and humans trying to keep the other demons happy while becoming better people" thing was going to run out the season, at least, if not become the ongoing premise of the show.

Now, however, Shaun knows, and it's out the window. Like, unless it turns out that what we knew about this possibility was basically entirely wrong, I'm really not sure where the show can go from here, because our heroes are totally hosed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Shaun won't give Michael the ol' "Eternal Shriek", but he'll instead just hand Vicky the reins to the "Good" Place explicitly and force Michael to stick around as a huge demotion.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nah. I think pretty much everyone figured this whole "Michael and humans trying to keep the other demons happy while becoming better people" thing was going to run out the season, at least, if not become the ongoing premise of the show.

Now, however, Shaun knows, and it's out the window. Like, unless it turns out that what we knew about this possibility was basically entirely wrong, I'm really not sure where the show can go from here, because our heroes are totally hosed.

There is still a chance he doesn't know anything yet and just dropped in to see how things were going.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's why the show just got canceled. Schur says they "wrote themselves into a corner" and will "just run Parks and Rec reruns for a while."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I don’t mind Superstore. It isn’t great but it isn’t horrible.

If you've ever worked retail it really nails it in a lot of ways.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

swickles posted:

There is still a chance he doesn't know anything yet and just dropped in to see how things were going.

The next episode is gonna be Michael + Humans scrambling around just out of Sean's field of vision to keep the act up. Bank on it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

If you've ever worked retail it really nails it in a lot of ways.

It makes you want to kill yourself? Intriguing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wait, Vicki is the voice of Sabine in Star Wars Rebels? :aaa:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

precision posted:

The next episode is gonna be Michael + Humans scrambling around just out of Sean's field of vision to keep the act up. Bank on it.

Yeah, I expect this.

Also reckon there is a reasonable chance that Sean takes Michael being sneaky as a positive trait and is happy he finally showed some real initiative and acted like a proper demon.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

howe_sam posted:

This made me look at other stuff she's done or doing, and led me to this horrible trailer. It's everything you'd expect from a new Zach Braff show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dBJf3arrNY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

howe_sam posted:

She also played Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh, that explains why they included that scene where she holds out a bag of meth and then winks towards the camera.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why the show just got canceled. Schur says they "wrote themselves into a corner" and will "just run Parks and Rec reruns for a while."

I actually am pretty worried that the show's ending soon. It's getting slaughtered in the ratings and can't be terribly cheap to make.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I doubt Parks and Rec was cheap to make, especially in later seasons as the actors in it blew up (and it had a huge cast), and it got abysmal ratings too. I'm praying.

Plus Michael Schur is hopefully one of the people in entertainment who isn't a horrible creep so after they cancel or shitcan everyone with ties to sexual assault, this show will be one of the few left standing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The show looks expensive as hell to make. Like maybe a little bit under the level of "prestige tv" game of thrones/netflix originals level.

But boy do they sure cheap out on the cgi

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

The show looks expensive as hell to make.

It depends quite a bit, I think, on how much they have to pay to keep using the same sets. If they had some kind of "one and done" payment deal for season 1, it would make sense that S2 is a lot cheaper.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

drunken officeparty posted:

The show looks expensive as hell to make. Like maybe a little bit under the level of "prestige tv" game of thrones/netflix originals level.

But boy do they sure cheap out on the cgi
It strikes me as a show that knows it's budget and how to stay under it. Kristen Bell is almost certainly their most expensive cast member, so the transition towards a more ensemble approach may partly be a cost-cutting move.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Uhhh last I checked it was one of the top 5 nbc shows?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-nbc-week-5-the-blacklist-sits-on-the-fence/

1.2 ratings for 2 weeks ago

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Why is this show expensive to make? There are like 3 sets

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Good episode. I really identified w Michael’s speech to Eleanor about not giving up and running when things get tough. Gonna have a new acronym to think of when the chips are down: B.L.E.S.S, Be Like Eleanor ShellStrop

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

It strikes me as a show that knows it's budget and how to stay under it. Kristen Bell is almost certainly their most expensive cast member, so the transition towards a more ensemble approach may partly be a cost-cutting move.

I know Kristen Bell is real famous, especially after Frozen, but I'm willing to bet the highest paid cast member is Ted Danson. Or if not they've gotta be close, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TwoPair posted:

I know Kristen Bell is real famous, especially after Frozen, but I'm willing to bet the highest paid cast member is Ted Danson. Or if not they've gotta be close, right?

Not sure if it's true on this show, but he worked on Bored to Death for cheap because he just liked doing it. I could see that being true here too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Variety estimates him at $225k and her at $125k.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Some of the scenes are shot in the Huntington Library and Gardens which is probably not the cheapest.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Shooting time, special effects, props, costumes, an ensemble cast of returning and established actors

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Compared to your average sitcom there are way more special effects shots, but also fewer episodes per season, so it probably all balances out.

Either way, the show is doing fine in live ratings, and probably has good time shifted numbers as well. It's a safeish bet to get a third season.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jerkface posted:

The episode with the Trolley Problem was probably pretty expensive to make.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Max22 posted:

Shooting time, special effects, props, costumes, an ensemble cast of returning and established actors

It’s a small cast with only two major actors and there are very few big location days, background actors, stunts, licensed music, or other huge money sinks. Even the camera setups are simple: no excessive crane, drone, nor long tracking shots, prrrrrobably two cameras.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They've also done like 3 bottle episodes this season so they're clearly aware of when they need to conserve their budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

howe_sam posted:

Compared to your average sitcom there are way more special effects shots, but also fewer episodes per season, so it probably all balances out.

Either way, the show is doing fine in live ratings, and probably has good time shifted numbers as well. It's a safeish bet to get a third season.

Yeah but fewer episodes means fewer commercial breaks to sell time in and lower syndication prices.

• Locked thread