Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pastry of the Year posted:

different viewpoints, honestly stated, are Good.

...always?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i dont know if you people are seriosu about tiggum or not but he was born with no hands so making fun of him for not being able to use a controller is a really low blow

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

im pooping! posted:

i dont know if you people are seriosu about tiggum or not but he was born with no hands so making fun of him for not being able to use a controller is a really low blow

You're right, we should all chip in to buy him a hot dog to make up for it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How are you typing on a keyboard if you can't press buttons?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Who What Now posted:

He has a gigantic one on the floor that functions like a DDR pad.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nonono!

It's a normal sized keyboard, he's just 3 inches tall!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ah, Thumblina Syndrome

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

You're right, we should all chip in to buy him a hot dog to make up for it.

i think you are confusing tiggum and mr bibs

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

... probably. Maybe dull, tedious lightning can strike twice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

im pooping! posted:

Foot% speedruns are a thing. No excuses.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Who What Now posted:

How do you play games if you can't tell the difference between keys, face buttons, clickable mousewheels, and clickable thumbsticks?

Like, I don't find controllers unusable, but "click the thumbstick" is the second worst UI gesture ("click the thumbstick while also moving it" is the worst) and I hate it when games bind some commonly-used action to that rather than to any other input on the controller.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Nov 4, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ToxicFrog posted:

How do you play games if you can't tell the difference between keys, face buttons, clickable mousewheels, and clickable thumbsticks?

They're all buttons, one of the simplest things to use. If you can press a key you can press a stick.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Isn't moving the sticks while clicked on a 360 pad also a fantastic way to wear them out?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I am also bad at pushing buttons. Such is life

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Seems to me like Tiggum is really good at pushing YOUR buttons!

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Nah, I've figured out Tiggum is actually posting from another reality where everything is ever so slightly different so he seems crazy to us but in his universe thumbsticks have triple the sensitivety, mousewheels are frictionless, and buttons are only usable by precision punching.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i'd watch that lighthearted but introspective comedy film

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've seen dark souls completed with a drum kit, I've seen ornstein and smough beaten with voice commands, none of you have an excuse to complain about dodgy controller layouts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah we do

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Can't believe I'm seeing someone defend the user unfriendly nature of stick buttons. Yeah they're usable and sometimes you need that extra button, but it's never a pleasure to use those things.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't moving the sticks while clicked on a 360 pad also a fantastic way to wear them out?

You just gotta click it, not compress it with a hydraulic press and grind it around.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I like clicking thumbsticks, it's got a nice tactile feel to it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Brother Entropy posted:

Same I don't know what y'all are going on about because adding a click to joysticks is a straight up upgrade

Though I don't see why every game doesn't have fully bindable controls by default

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Brother Entropy posted:

During boring cutscenes I like to click the sticks a bunch. I also mapped dodge to both the trigger and clicking the stick in Nier Automata, because I wanted to be able to click the stick to start running but still use a trigger to actually dodge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've seen dark souls completed with a drum kit, I've seen ornstein and smough beaten with voice commands, none of you have an excuse to complain about dodgy controller layouts.
All those things will be lost like tears in rain. Time to die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On a note of bindable controls, Mario Odyssey what are you doing with your layout. Your camera is not very good so I have to fidget with it constantly, so it'd be nice if I could bind jump to one of the triggers instead of having two copies of crouch and throw hat on the triggers. Hell, just get rid of all your motion controls while we're fixing your bad control decisions.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Super Mario Odyssey is so good and it's practically criminal that the motion control actions don't have an alternate bind for handheld mode.

Futuresight posted:

Can't believe I'm seeing someone defend the user unfriendly nature of stick buttons. Yeah they're usable and sometimes you need that extra button, but it's never a pleasure to use those things.

what the gently caress even is this, lmao, a lot of you should see doctors for your hosed up crab hands

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Right but the protag wasn't the reason the writing was good. The protag was just ~there~ and the rest of the world is what made the writing good.

The point is that 'open ended character', in order to be good, needs to not be about the character. Which is a totally different sort of story. You just can't write an open ended guy in a compelling way because they can just be all over the place in personality between every conversation

Also the NV protagonist doesn't have amnesia his background just doesn't matter lol

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also the NV protagonist doesn't have amnesia his background just doesn't matter lol

i recall ulysses bitching about my background the whole time in lonesome road and i just clicked random responses and bludgeoned him to death with a old car bumper

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

im pooping! posted:

i recall ulysses bitching about my background the whole time in lonesome road and i just clicked random responses and bludgeoned him to death with a old car bumper

your background in lonesome road is 'was a courier'

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

your background in lonesome road is 'was a courier'

Well, except for a very particular package which bothered me since it calcified your history more.

Thing is it didnt do it like, a lot or anything, it was pretty minor, but it stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the game.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The bit in New Colossus (monster chapter) where BJ gets a new body is extremely heavily telegraphed and I'm not sure if I was supposed to be surprised. Also unless I missed something you still have to reload if you die during the all a dream section, and that part loving sucks.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

food court bailiff posted:

what the gently caress even is this, lmao, a lot of you should see doctors for your hosed up crab hands

Crab hands? It's not hard to access the button, it just feels off to press. Especially if it's for sprinting or something so you've also got the stick pressed to one side. Feels like you're breaking it.

Actually I suppose it's really only the left stick I don't like pressing cause you're so often also using it to move at the same time.

The other thing I don't like is when the functions aren't the same for one stick. Pressing right stick to lock on or moving right stick to move camera in dark souls is pretty intuitive, but if it's mapped to something dumb like move to look, click to melee I hate it.

Futuresight has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Nov 5, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

im pooping! posted:

I went with any response that was essentially "You're reading too much into this." That place hadn't been my home, I didn't care what had happened to it, Ulysses was a lunatic blaming the postman because he's received a phone bill. Shame there wasn't an ending that reflected that you had Lonesome Road installed but didn't play it, so you'd get a post-game blurb about how Ulysses died alone and confused because the Courier didn't give a poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, except for a very particular package which bothered me since it calcified your history more.

Thing is it didnt do it like, a lot or anything, it was pretty minor, but it stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the game.

How so? Like, they made it clear in the game that you're a Courier, stats/choices/whatever be damned. What you did beforehand was Be a Courier.

Sunswipe posted:

I went with any response that was essentially "You're reading too much into this." That place hadn't been my home, I didn't care what had happened to it, Ulysses was a lunatic blaming the postman because he's received a phone bill.

I thought that was the point of the expansion. Ulysses ascribed much to the Courier's actions, when they were literally just "I had a lot of deliveries to this place called Hopesville, I guess" and "One of the things I schlepped to that place activated its underground nukes".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Nov 5, 2017

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

food court bailiff posted:

I don't think it's that controversial to say it's annoying to have to press down on something you're also simultaneously having to slide around. It's not really a problem when you're just pressing it, or pressing it when you're jamming the stick all the way in some direction, but there are a number of games that require finer control of the sticks while also pressing down on them and it's just awkward

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Wolf2 has consistently been pingponging between good and terrible and it's really frustrating.

I also really regret picking Wyatt at the start, but I wanted to mirror my first playthrough of TNO. Oh well.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Gitro posted:

Wolf2 has consistently been pingponging between good and terrible and it's really frustrating.

I also really regret picking Wyatt at the start, but I wanted to mirror my first playthrough of TNO. Oh well.

Does it still have that huge story to shooting ratio?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

How so? Like, they made it clear in the game that you're a Courier, stats/choices/whatever be damned. What you did beforehand was Be a Courier.

You dropped off a particular package in a particular place that, granted, your character probably don't know what it did, but you end up having to sit through a 4 hour DLC where you're yelled at for doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I enjoyed that, because that dude was so angry about my post-apocalyptic postman giving no fucks. Not my job man, not my problem.