Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

Loot crates.

There are some good ones, like the Hackerbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

There are some good ones, like the Hackerbox.

:wrong:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BigDave posted:

GOOD smokes, not that Maverick crap. Newports or Camels.

...know what, just gimme your wallet.

You don't look like the wallet inspector that came by yesterday though :tinfoil:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

republicant posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against the people responsible for a ton of "free cruise" robocalls, and if your phone number is listed in the call records you can be eligible to receive $300 per call up to 3 calls.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

(Website has been swamped all day today but seems to be working now.)

Reminder that this closes next friday, don't be an idiot like me and forget about it and be scramble to find out if there's a way to be eligible for this after moving out of country.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Reminder that this closes next friday, don't be an idiot like me and forget about it and be scramble to find out if there's a way to be eligible for this after moving out of country.

You're not going to see that money.

quote:

The Court has authorized this update to inform consumers who have filed claims that, to date, over two million claims have been filed seeking to recover from a Settlement Fund expected to total $12.5 million.

Due to the large number of claims, the individual recovery per consumer will be a pro rata share of the Settlement Fund. The exact per consumer recovery is still unknown, but it is expected to amount to several dollars per Class Member.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for that, I feel much better now.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I am going to post triumphantly to this thread when I get my $1.56.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Panfilo posted:

I gotta wonder what the scams are gonna be like when Millennials are retirement age.

Probably stuff like "Boomer prosperity was in fact buried in the form of Gold boullion in land plots in XYZ location! Buy a plot and recover what your parents unjustly stole from you all these years!"

Basically Fallout was an attempt to simulate exactly this

I fear the day I'm old and daft enough to fall for the stupid scams my grandma would get ripped off by if she were online. She was smart and with it just like younguns now

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I asked this a while back but it's really starting to become an issue - my phone number keeps being used to call other people. I've gotten no less than five calls in the past two months from people pissed off that I'm trying to scam them. Unless I've been trying to scam people in my sleep, I'm pretty sure this isn't me.

I was told by this thread to wait it out a few months but it doesn't seem like it's getting any better (it seems like it's getting worse). Is changing my phone number the only option at this point?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Depressio111117 posted:

I asked this a while back but it's really starting to become an issue - my phone number keeps being used to call other people. I've gotten no less than five calls in the past two months from people pissed off that I'm trying to scam them. Unless I've been trying to scam people in my sleep, I'm pretty sure this isn't me.

I was told by this thread to wait it out a few months but it doesn't seem like it's getting any better (it seems like it's getting worse). Is changing my phone number the only option at this point?

I think that may be all you can really do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Goodbye, phone number I've had since I was fourteen. :sadwave:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Depressio111117 posted:

Goodbye, phone number I've had since I was fourteen. :sadwave:

Try not picking up.

Many of these numbers will mark you as inactive if you don’t answer. They won’t stop completely but it can cut them down significantly

A new # will probably also get lots of misdials

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maskenfreiheit posted:

Try not picking up.

Many of these numbers will mark you as inactive if you don’t answer. They won’t stop completely but it can cut them down significantly

A new # will probably also get lots of misdials

No it's that the number is being used to spoof caller ID by a telemarketer. They're getting angry voicemail/calls from people being called by the telemarketer.

That ain't gonna go away.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Got a new one the other day. Just a voicemail, from Washington (state, not DC), stating that the cops (their word, they didn't say police) were looking to speak to me over a few separate charges. As soon as I heard cops I giggled and deleted the voicemail.

One that I'm not sure if it's a scam or not, but apparently a third party seller on Amazon has/had my phone number listed as their customer support line. I've only had one interaction from a customer so far, but it was repeated phone calls until I picked up and told him he had the wrong number, which took him a little bit to believe. Anything to do about that since I have no other information for the company?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Got a new one the other day. Just a voicemail, from Washington (state, not DC), stating that the cops (their word, they didn't say police) were looking to speak to me over a few separate charges. As soon as I heard cops I giggled and deleted the voicemail.

One that I'm not sure if it's a scam or not, but apparently a third party seller on Amazon has/had my phone number listed as their customer support line. I've only had one interaction from a customer so far, but it was repeated phone calls until I picked up and told him he had the wrong number, which took him a little bit to believe. Anything to do about that since I have no other information for the company?

do a google search on site:amazon for your phone number?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

At one point a bunch of people became convinced my Google Voice number was a doctor's office. (I think I either got one that used to be, or maybe something somewhere had a misprint because people would be really insistent they had "papers" that had the number)

I would give them the correct # since they tended to be old and I felt some pity, but one old guy was really pissy and insistent that I better schedule his appointment RIGHT loving NOW or he'd make sure my supervisor fires me (and cursed a lot).

So I apologized, asked him what time he wanted an appointment, and told him to come on down at that time.

Never got any more calls after that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From another thread:

minato posted:

I don't know if this counts as a security fuckup, but I was talking to an Uber engineer today who told me a couple of interesting scams they encountered the past couple of years.

Apparently Uber got heavily scammed in China by people exploiting the subsidies used to incentivize drivers to cruise around waiting for fares.

The first scam involved phone emulators and fake GPS units to organize fake trips. When scammers tried to parallelize the system with multiple fake driver accounts, Uber caught on when they saw "snakes" of cars moving around the map.

The second scam involved the drivers deliberately putting up scary profile pictures, making the driver look like a vampire or a ghost. The hope was that the customer would be so put off that they'd cancel the ride before pickup, which would give the driver a few yuan as compensation for the cancelled ride. Uber had to implement a facial recognition system that ensured profile pictures closely matched their owner.

edit:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Midjack posted:

From another thread:

:allears: Man, yaoguai drivers has gotta be my favorite scam idea ever.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Nice to see Uber get scammed for once after all the time they've spent ripping off their drivers.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Tunicate posted:

do a google search on site:amazon for your phone number?

Tried that, got a bunch of links for old Apple products, with no seller info anywhere close to my number.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

From another thread:

Is this somehow more profitable than actually driving people around? I assume the first one was a "no work" scam, but the second...

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Got a call from a hidden number, so I sent it to voicemail. A message was left and I was curious.

It was a full minute of ringing tone (the boops you hear when you're calling someone and their phone is ringing). No-one ever picked it up. :tinfoil:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Stick Insect posted:

Got a call from a hidden number, so I sent it to voicemail. A message was left and I was curious.

It was a full minute of ringing tone (the boops you hear when you're calling someone and their phone is ringing). No-one ever picked it up. :tinfoil:

This is similar to the only type of unwanted call that I ever get. Maybe once a week I'll get a call from a spoofed number. Answer it and there'll be some tones on the other end; never a human or even a recording of one. When I hang up, I'll get 2-5 more calls from the same number in the next half hour or so, with the same tones on the other end. Same result if I let it go to voicemail. The next time it happens it'll be a different number, but the same result.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Is this somehow more profitable than actually driving people around? I assume the first one was a "no work" scam, but the second...

Second is also no work, it banks on people being so freaked out by the driver photo that they cancel the ride and the driver rakes in a few yuan from Uber for the cancellation.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Craptacular posted:

This is similar to the only type of unwanted call that I ever get. Maybe once a week I'll get a call from a spoofed number. Answer it and there'll be some tones on the other end; never a human or even a recording of one. When I hang up, I'll get 2-5 more calls from the same number in the next half hour or so, with the same tones on the other end. Same result if I let it go to voicemail. The next time it happens it'll be a different number, but the same result.

this is an automated outbound dialing software that normally connects you to a free agent when you answer. the beeps are it attempting to detect if it called a fax machine by mistake.

in your case there's no agent to talk to you, so it hangs up and puts you in the "call back quickly since you are answering" queue.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

unknown posted:

this is an automated outbound dialing software that normally connects you to a free agent when you answer. the beeps are it attempting to detect if it called a fax machine by mistake.

in your case there's no agent to talk to you, so it hangs up and puts you in the "call back quickly since you are answering" queue.

That makes sense, but it calls me back quickly even if I don't answer the first call and let it go to voicemail. I can't remember the last time I got an actual human on the other end of a telemarketing call.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Not really a scam but I do enjoy having myname @Gmail.com and getting every legal document and official correspondence for every other person with my name who believes somehow that even though they've never used the address it is totally their email address so better put it on official forms.

Bonus fun when some Muppet with my name booked a holiday and used my address for the accommodation so I just clicked the "cancel" button in the confirmation email and hosed it off. Wonder what happened when they got to Bali on that trip.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

iajanus posted:

Not really a scam but I do enjoy having myname @Gmail.com and getting every legal document and official correspondence for every other person with my name who believes somehow that even though they've never used the address it is totally their email address so better put it on official forms.

I get this so much I considered making a thread. It’s also why I don’t bother actually using gmail because most mail I get is for roughly 5-10 other people who think it’s theirs.

The two I want to gently caress with the most are the Aussies who have a kid in some school and I now have their grade report, and whichever rear end in a top hat belongs to the NRA.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

iajanus posted:

I managed to track down one guy who used my email adress by mistake. I got a confirmation email for his car's annual roadworthiness test and looked up the license plate. Turned out it was a company car, so I went to the company's web site and it was some small 5 man shop where they all had presentations on the web page, so I found his work email and sent him a mail.

I have firstname.lastname at gmail.com Turns out he has firstname.lastname at company.com and also firstname.middleinitial.lastname at gmail.com and occasionally gets the two mixed up.

I occasionally get his emails still, but I just delete them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

iajanus posted:

Bonus fun when some Muppet with my name booked a holiday and used my address for the accommodation so I just clicked the "cancel" button in the confirmation email and hosed it off. Wonder what happened when they got to Bali on that trip.

That’s technically illegal, as stupid as it is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Platystemon posted:

That’s technically illegal, as stupid as it is.

I don't know, the booking is in my name, has my details on it (name and email) and I have all the confirmation information. Pretty sure it's my booking since no money has changed hands :colbert:

A couple of times when the documents have looked really important (or dangerous to be sending to random people) I've sent a reply to let them know. They're usually confused but appreciative.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

iajanus posted:

Goddamn you're a prick.

I've got lastname @ gmail (no initials, firstname dot, etc) so I get all sorts of random poo poo. It's not a common last name in the US, but it's around Switzerland a fair bit. There's some swiss boat club that just loving refuses to stop sending me membership emails despite my explaining that I'm some random American in English, French, and German.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 6, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That sounds like wire fraud to me. You knowingly misrepresented yourself to cancel a transaction you did not originate.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
My name is an old lady name (the census says there's about 40 of us and all but me are over age 60) and I have had a lot of emails sent to me including: pole dancing lessons for seniors, a lot of MLM spam mail, some very personal family correspondence, and several senior dating website confirmations. Years ago I tracked down the most frequent one, called her in Canada, and explained that just because her name is my name, I have the gmail.com address and hers has a 123 after our name for a reason. She seemed embarrassed and the emails stopped for awhile, but it's happening again. For the really personal stuff, I email the sender and they're always horrified. I feel kind of sorry for her.

My nickname gets a lot of younger women entering in my email and once it had her iTunes login and credit card info. I called her as well (number was in the email) and she was really freaked out. I bet she's pissed because I also registered our full name as .com years ago. Tough cookies, doppelganger; I'm way more of a nerd than you are.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I once got an email for a highschool teacher with homework, also addressed to his work email and another gmail variation.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

please stop talking to them

E: No seriously, every single post in here that involves 'lol i owned that cold call scammer' is basically just that.

E2: read to present lol

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 6, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My private gmail is firstname + 3 initials and I still somehow get mail addressed to some Californian professor. I just ignore it. :shrug:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My Gmail is two random-rear end words stuck together because I made it when I was 14 and into monkey cheese humor. It's along the lines of dirigibleabortion@Gmail.com. Whatever script scammers use apparently parses this as first name last name, because I routinely get emails that start with "Hey, Dirigible" or the more formal "Dear Mr. Abortion."

Thanks for assuming my gender, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You need to read the Indian sex weirdos thread in gbs for similar, as one of the posters keeps getting batshit emails addressed to ‘Contracts’ like it’s someone’s actual name, trying to persuade them to hire Indian workers in Australia.