Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

These quick encounter cards feel more like they're plot generators, which isn't a bad thing especially if you're short a player or two, but not what it's intended for.

Some of them feel that way, yeah. Luckily, if your problem is that you have too many players who want to be in your game, they have cards like Birds of a Feather that will solve that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nessus posted:

I think one of the factors that balances out Sonic the Elfhog here is that this combo stacker can only be done on a single person - by necessity! So I'm not sure it would be quite as necessary to nerf it, although you might could owl it down a notch or two by saying this particular elf was a trained long distance runner or a mutant or part-wind sylph or something.

Maybe he can only make the sonic boom because he's wearing some stupid jacket.

Maybe the speed of sound is slower in D&D land.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dallbun posted:

115: The Speedster

Okay, brace yourself.

The PCs are in an uncrowded street when something streaks by and they’re hit with a sonic boom (2d6 damage, save for half).

the thing to remember here is that D&D is extremely a fan of natural language. it's not implying that the sonic boom has anything to do with the speedy elf; instead it's just another thing that happens.

so if your players are trying to argue that his new move speed is faster than the speed of sound, just have another random sonic boom strike their heroes. lather, rinse, repeat until they knock it off.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Perhaps FlashElf is carrying a separate item just to make sonic booms for flashy entrances and exits. It's what I'd do. And apparently it does damage, too?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
It's a wand. Ask your DM for more information.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

slap me and kiss me posted:

This is the best option. It allows the PCs to loot it with a plot significant number of charges left.

Also lets the GM add special effects, e.g. blazing footprints.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

slap me and kiss me posted:

No. Gold ring.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Nessus posted:

No. Gold ring.

If you get hit while wearing it, it flies off your finger at high speed.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

I'm interested to find out the phlogiston fire rules. It seems like ship to ship combat is going to get destructive.

Just a quickie tonight, as I'm packing to leave town for a few days:

Phlogiston blows the gently caress up. For all intents and purposes it's like a fuel air explosive mixture, it seeps into the air envelope of a ship and makes everything explode, instantly, upon the creation of any flame. The handy dandy chart the book includes for the relative flame and the resulting boom-boom is as follows:

Candle (lit) - 1 die fireball 4" across
Lantern (lit) - 3 die fireball 1' across
Oil flask (lit) - 3 die fireball 3' across
Cooking Fire - 4 die fireball 10' across
Fireball - 3 times size and effect
Match (fuse) 1-2 points (plus immediate misfire if used for a gun)

Dampening the enthusiasm somewhat of mages here is that the hugely-buffed fireball will in fact explode centered on them. So unless they have some really impressive fire resistance, that's probably not the best idea. So it looks at first glance like trying to use the phlogiston offensively is pretty much off the table, since it goes boom at the instant you light a fuse, not on the other side where your target would be. And the substance for unknown reasons cannot be carried into a crystal sphere, evaporating instantly, so you can't snag bottles of it to make into molotov cocktails.

But never fear! Space sailors are clever devils, and there are some items listed specifically for harnessing the phlogiston as a weapon. There's a magic trident that, upon impact, creates a bit of fire at its tines, with the intention that the wielder would be outside the resulting explosion. There are also anti-ship weapons that are essentially spark grenades, glass balls at the end of a ballista bolt or just meant to be tossed from a catapult, that shatter on impact and release a magic flame inside with poor results for the people on the receiving end.

Fire in general is uncomfortable in Spelljammer, given that many of the ships are wood and that having your space boat on fire isn't great for the finite air bubble around it.

Oh, and I nearly forgot, there's a weird property of phlogiston where if you run out of air, it will preserve you in some kind of suspended animation. It's possible to encounter long-lost ships in the flow from years or centuries ago with a crew that could still be rescued, if you don't ruin your own air supply by coming close to a ship with bad air. Also, gnomes have invented their own take on stasis pods by basically locking poor fuckers into an airtight box in the phlogiston; as soon as they asphyxiate and pass out they will, in theory, be preserved and not using air or supplies for that part of the journey. There is a saving throw involved to not die, however, and if someone forgets to let them out of the box before leaving the phlogiston they'll die regardless, so it's not really the best of ideas.

Valatar fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 6, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Sounds like an invention a goblin would make, tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like a lot of Spelljammer fluff is based on debunked and obsolete scientific theories. Which is always pretty cool.

You could possibly make a more reliable phlogiston time bomb with clockwork.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Ptolemaic cosmology of Spelljammer is wonderful.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
You are magically compelled to read more of

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 20: The Deck of Normal People and Hunting Gods

117: The Contract

There’s a bard entertaining in a crowded bar, directing her songs toward the PCs. She’s an assassin. After her set, she’ll order a pitcher of wine for their table and bribe the serving boy to slip powder into it. She’ll take a pre-emptive antidote for the Type K poison (onset 1-4 minutes, 20 damage/death). After sharing a drink with them, she’ll leave to work the bar for tips, and slip out the back.

“The PCs may make a wisdom check to notice that the wine seems a little murky, but what they choose to make of this is up to them.” News flash - if anything is notable about a drink after some kind of check, the PCs ain’t drinking it.

So this seems fine. The PCs won’t die if you let them notice the wine, and the anger they feel at their assassin-hiring enemies will help drive them forward. Keep.

118: The Wild Hunt

Near some standing stones in the forest, during stormy weather. Lightning strikes the stones, knocking PCs to the ground unless they make a Strength check (note: this doesn’t matter at all). When their eyes clear they see a tall, dark-skinned man with an antlered helmet, with dogs with flaming eyes and tongues. Anyone with a good alignment needs to save or join in the hunt. They’ll run without tiring, “though it all seems dream-like later.”

The hunt falls on a group of 30 travellers who wear an evil god’s sigil, including a level 14 evil cleric, and they fight. Nice and folkloric, though I don’t usually think of fairie hunts as a good vs evil thing. Keep, though I would probably give the good-aligned PCs a choice rather than make it a save-based effect.

119: Charlatan

A local thief in a small town tried to steal from a wizard and got cursed with a babble spell. Aaaaaand also permanency. The people decided that she’s touched by the gods, and she’s been milking it for all its worth. She’ll still try to steal from the PCs when they visit, but if they notice and take action against her, the villagers will drive them out of town. They’ll also be annoyed if someone removes thebabble spell, “thinking that this means that the gods no longer smile upon them.” Not many interesting PC choices here, but keep.

120: The Rumor Mill

The PCs come back to their home base town and find slanderous rumors circulating about them. Lots of acquaintances give them strange looks or worse. Good friends will be able to explain the rumors to them. “An intense campaign of do-gooding” or a confession from their enemies will clear their name. Some possible accusations: “the PCs worship an evil god, kill farmers, commit unspeakable acts with animals, have bad morals, breath, or the like.” OK then.

I dunno… it takes a little too much effort on my part to think up the PCs’ rumor-mongering enemies and make it interesting for them to track down. But if this is their home base, maybe I already have some candidates in place. Keep, since I can always throw it back when drawn if it doesn’t feel appropriate.

121: Bread and Fish

The PCs are in a crowded marketplace. A WIS-2 check allows them to notice a woman stealing bread from a merchant. “It vanishes into her coat, though it looks as if there is not enough room in the coat.” (It’s a bag of holding, of course - a “light-weight” one that carries up to 250 lbs or 30 cubic feet.) If they keep watching, she steals more food. If they follow her, she is of course the mother of hungry children and has a sob story. (Can’t get a job because people assume she’s “shiftless and lazy,” etc.)

The card says “the PCs must decide whether to hand her over to the city guards.” Tell me, what PC isn’t going to just buy the bag off of her? (Answer: the ones who are going to rob and/or murder her for it.)

Anyway, I guess it’s interesting enough. Keep.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like reading your thoughts on player reactions to these cards because for a lot of these, the sob story in bread and fish in particular. My players would definitely look at this woman and go “yeah, not my problem”. Hell Ive got one player who 100% certanty would drink the poisoned wine because “If I dont drink it, we dont know its poisoned so we cant murder her”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, uh, how did Poor Hungry Mom manage to get herself a bag of holding? Those things ain't cheap.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mors Rattus posted:

So, uh, how did Poor Hungry Mom manage to get herself a bag of holding? Those things ain't cheap.

Left behind by deadbeat adventuring father to those kids? She can't sell it because no-one in town could buy it, or the people who could are going to rip her off?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Bag of carrying mom, just like elf armor highwayman, can be explained by bad game design. gently caress Oblivion.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well I choose to believe that random brigands scope my character from afar and adjust their equipment according to their code of honour.
"stow that glass armour away jack, he doesn't look ready for more than orkish steel."

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dallbun posted:

You are magically compelled to read more of

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 20: The Deck of Normal People and Hunting Gods

117: The Contract

120: The Rumor Mill

I like that some of these could conceivably link together to actually fill in the details of a larger campaign arc, but I then have to wonder, are these intended to be drawn before the game by an idle DM who doesn't have inspiration for this week and could then weave them together, or are they meant to just be a deck of cards you draw from during play rather than rolling on random encounter tables?

if it's just a replacement for random encounter tables during play then having any of them synchronize is extremely unlikely.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

As we get about halfway through the Deck of Encounters, Set one, a valiant party meets in a tavern and sets out through...

The Fighter, Beavis skullshirt
The Paladin , Bhead the Blue
The Conjurer, Magonna Silverkin
The half-elve Fighter/Cleric, Quota Greensleeves

and finally,

Druid, Janie Greensleeves

I only bothered to buy weapons, armor, and war dogs. Other equipment will be assumed, as long as it seems reasonable. HP were rolled by taking the best of two rolls.

quote:

Name: Beavis Skullshirt
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Level: 1

Str: 14
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 7
Wis: 8
Chr: 10

THAC0: 20
AC: 5
HP: 9

Saves
-----
Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic: 14
Rod, Staff, or Wand: 16
Petrification or Polymorph: 15
Breath Weapon: 17
Spell: 17

Weapons
-------
Longsword (S), Short bow, Dagger

Secondary Skills
----------------
No skill of measurable worth

Hide Armour (AC 6), Medium shield, Longsword (+1, 1d8+2/1d12+2, 3/2 attk), Short bow, 60 sheaf arrows (1d8/1d8), Dagger (1d4/1d3)

quote:

Name: Sir Bhead the Blue
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Good

Str: 12
Dex: 10
Con: 10
Int: 8
Wis: 13
Chr: 17 +6 Reaction bonus, 10 henchment

HP: 10
AC: 4
ThAC0: 20

Saves
-----
Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic: 12
Rod, Staff, or Wand: 14
Petrification or Polymorph: 13
Breath Weapon: 15
Spell: 15

Abilities
---------
Detect Evil 60'
+2 bonus to all saves
Immunity to disease
Lay on hands 2hp/day
Cure Disease 1/week
Aura of protection 10'

Weapons
-------
Lance, Longsword, Short bow, Mace

Secondary skills
----------------
Teamster/Freighter

Equipment
---------
Chainmail (AC 5), Medium shield (AC -1), Long sword (1d8/1d12), Footman's mace (1d6+1, 1d6)

quote:

Name: Magonna Silverkin
Class: Wizard (Conjurer)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 15 +1 hp
Int: 14 7th level spells, 60% chance to learn, 9 spells/level
Wis: 14
Chr: 10

HP: 5
AC:

Saves
-----
Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic: 14
Rod, Staff, or Wand: 11
Petrification or Polymorph: 13
Spell: 12

Abilities
---------
Spells (Can't use Greater Divination and Invocation)
+1 bonus to conjuration saves

Spells/level
------------
1+1

Spells known
------------
1st: Read Magic, Detect Magic, Cantrip*, Armor* (AC 6, 9HP), Grease*, Sleep, Identify

Weapons
-------
Staff

Secondary skills
----------------
Stone-cutter

Equipment (50gp)
---------
Quarterstaff (1d6), Sling (-4 to hit, 1d4+1, 1d6+1), 2x war dogs

War dog
-------
AC 6; HP 9,8; ThAC0 19; Attacks 1; Dmg 2d4; Morale 9

quote:

Name: Quota Greensleeves
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Fighter/Cleric
Alignment: NG

Dex: 12
Con: 10
Int: 7
Wis: 14 Bonus 1st level spell
Chr: 8

HP: 8
AC: 3

Saves
-----
Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic: 10
Petrification or Polymorph: 12

Abilities
---------
Resist Sleep/Charm 30%
Infravision 60'
Spot secret doors 1/6
Spells
Turn Undead (Skeleton 10, Zombie 13, Ghoul 16, Shadow 19, Wight 20)

Spells/level
------------

Spells memorised
----------------
Bless, Cure light wounds (1d8)

Weapons
-------
Mace, Sling, Flail, Staff

Secondary skills
----------------
No skill of measurable worth

Equipment
---------
Splint mail (AC 4), Medium shield (AC -1), Sling, Sling bullets (1d4+1, 1d6+1), Footman's flail (1d6+1/2d4)

quote:

Name: Janie Greensleeves
Class: Druid
Alignment: N

Dex: 13
Con: 14
Int: 11
Wis: 14 Bonus 1st level spell
Chr: 17

HP: 7
AC:

Saves
-----
Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic: 10
Petrification or Polymorph: 12

Abilities
---------
Spells (M: All, Animal, Elemental, Healing, Plant, Weather; m: Divination)
+2 save vs. Fire or Electricity
Secret druid language

Spells/level
------------

Spells memorised
----------------
Cure light wounds, Entangle

Weapons
-------
Sling, Scimitar

Secondary skills
----------------
Painter

Equipment
---------
Leather armor, medium shield, Sling, Sling stones (1d4), Scimitar (1d8), 3 war dogs

War dogs
AC 6; HP 9,8; ThAC0 19; Attacks 1; Dmg 2d4; Morale 9

Their up to date character sheets and other notes can be found here: https://goo.gl/sjERV7

My cards are not in numerical order, because I couldn't see a number on them and I've split them by danger level. Without further ado, it's time for our party of idiots to travel onwards.

Splitting hairs
Low danger, 630xp (I guess for defeating the gnolls and finding the treasure)

The party hear the sounds of a battle ahead, and if they investigate, they discover a large group of gnolls (30 or so) intent on tearing each other to bits. There are two factions of the gnolls, and this fight is the escalation of an argument; if any of the characters understand Gnoll, they can tell that each side is accussign the other of having stolen, hoarding or having or lost some great treasure.

If the characters wade in immediately, all 30 turn on them. If they wait for the gnolls to stop, only 2d6 are left alive. The treasure is a Broach of Shielding, an item that absorbs magic missiles (101 points of damage). It is somewhere amongst the bodies.

Keep, though how the characters deal with it will depend a lot on their view of gnolls and whether they can understand them.

We're going to check if any of our guys can speak Gnollish, and it turns out that Magonna does. There's enough people in the party with half a brain, so they wait until the gnolls are done fighting, meaning they only have to deal with 9 of them. Magonna has both Sleep and Grease memorised, and Quota or Janie can cast Bless. They also have a total of 5 war dogs.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 7, 2017

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Going back to the Elf of Blinding Speed for a second, according to another poster, he runs at about 240 ft. per second. That's equivalent to approximately 7.48 Gs of force.

Here is a video of a human experiencing that level of force: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT2WuKERUJY

Now imagine that elf making that man's face the entire time he's running.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is maneuvering at that speed in urban areas even plausible?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ya'll forgetting that A Wizard Did It. none of this has to follow the observable rules of natural forces on Earth.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Is maneuvering at that speed in urban areas even plausible?

Depends. Does momentum exist in this edition? If not, sure, he can turn on a dime.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
So I've been posting a batch of encounter cards every day. Is that too much, especially if we're getting cards from the other deck as well? Or should I just keep 'em coming?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I like that some of these could conceivably link together to actually fill in the details of a larger campaign arc, but I then have to wonder, are these intended to be drawn before the game by an idle DM who doesn't have inspiration for this week and could then weave them together, or are they meant to just be a deck of cards you draw from during play rather than rolling on random encounter tables?
It feels like the various writers for the deck aren't 100% in agreement about how it's supposed to be used or what its purpose is.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

ya'll forgetting that A Wizard Did It. none of this has to follow the observable rules of natural forces on Earth.

Yeah, but if as a DM you start invoking stuff like the "speed of sound," you've opened that huge can of worms. Get ready for player nitpicking.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dallbun posted:

Yeah, but if as a DM you start invoking stuff like the "speed of sound," you've opened that huge can of worms. Get ready for player nitpicking.

Wizardry can break the speed of sound and make that elf turn on a dime Macross 5 style, suck it, nerds.

MightyMatilda
Sep 2, 2015
@Angrymog: The sheets don't mention the ACs for the Wizard or the Druid. I assume they're quite high, though I don't know too much about 2nd edition.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mors Rattus posted:

Depends. Does momentum exist in this edition? If not, sure, he can turn on a dime.

Superspeed just turns you into a light cycle from Tron.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

What you're doing is fine, Dallbun, just go at a pace that keeps you invested but not burning yourself ou.lt.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I'm digging the cards and your discussion of them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

4chan made a translation of Nechronica is anyone is interested in this insane poo poo:

first page after the cover posted:

A world in which humanity has met its end.
A world in which everyone has died.
A world in which nothing more can die.
In which naught stirs but walking corpses.

The protagonists of Nechronica are the girls of this world unfortunate enough to possess
hearts- the Dolls.
To put it simply, it is a game in which the players become zombie girls and fight against
other zombies.
The one who caused the dead to wake- the ruler of this shattered world- is the
Necromancer.
The Necromancer serves as both the master of the game and the archenemy.
For it could be none other than the Necromancer who gave hearts to the Dolls.
For in a world filled with mindless puppets, the Dolls- they alone whom possess wills of
their own- are no more than toys.
For the tragic comedy wrought by the foes sent against them is a delightful spectacle.
Since Dolls are already dead, they will find no rest when they are broken.
The peace of death came to an end long ago, just as did the world itself.
As we have a cup of tea, beneath these skies as gray as lead
let us tell the tale of this long, long epilogue.

Nechronica -The Long Long Sequel- is a tabletop (pencil-and-paper, face-to-face, et al.)
RPG published by Incog Labs/Tsugihagi Honbo/Patch Works and designed by Ryo
Kamiya, previously the designer of Golden Sky Stories, Maid RPG, and Zettai Reido.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

MightyMatilda posted:

@Angrymog: The sheets don't mention the ACs for the Wizard or the Druid. I assume they're quite high, though I don't know too much about 2nd edition.

They're in the stored one. Wizard is AC 10 (or 6 with Armour cast, which since it lasts until it takes too much damage she'll be starting with it) and Druid is 7

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Do not GIS "Nechronica".

Just...don't.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do not GIS "Nechronica".

Just...don't.

Did Kamiya make a guro game or did 4chan adopt it as one

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Looks like more the former. It's not total :nms: "poo poo am I on a watch list now" stuff, but it's still not fun to look at.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do not GIS "Nechronica".

Just...don't.
too late

I don't know what this is, but it definitely is not creepy at all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do not GIS "Nechronica".

Just...don't.

How bad could it boh no...

Thank God I searched that in incognito mode.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ryo Kamiya's ability to compartmentalize his poo poo when doing different games confuses the gently caress out of me.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mors Rattus posted:

Did Kamiya make a guro game or did 4chan adopt it as one

Short answer: yes

Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees (and all the zombies are little girls)

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, I read through some of it and art is... something. Not the worst I've seen on 4chan, since these are happy dismembered zombie girls, but still, this is a game where at least two "classes" work by maiming themselves.

The awkward translation makes it even better (read: worse).