Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Just bought a Switch yesterday after borrowing a friend's for awhile and becoming hooked. One of the nicest surprises for me is how well it worked as a portable. That really does change the console dynamic.

I bought a Pro controller and Mario Odyssey. I'm borrowing BOTW from a friend. What else is a must for the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

minya posted:

Just bought a Switch yesterday after borrowing a friend's for awhile and becoming hooked. One of the nicest surprises for me is how well it worked as a portable. That really does change the console dynamic.

I bought a Pro controller and Mario Odyssey. I'm borrowing BOTW from a friend. What else is a must for the system?

Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are the other musts imo. Digital games like Sonic Mania and Stardew Valley are worth a look.

EDIT: Forgot about Mario + Rabbids. That’s very very good too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 5, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

minya posted:

Splatoon 2
Mario x rabbids
Golf story

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I would say Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, and Mario + Rabbids are. Other games like ARMS are less universal recommend. I personally think ARMS is a really good game however others will disagree!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

minya posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors is solid, and if you didn't play Hyrule Warriors before than you're in for more of a treat. Both Nintendo-franchise Warriors games have been really solid, probably the best Warriors spin-off titles of the huge lot of them. It's Dynasty Warriors and Fire Emblem, what's not to like?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

I swear the only reasoning I’ll except for Luigi not being in Odyssey is that he got sucked away to get some ghosts in Luigi’s Mansion

I was really disappointed that Bowser didn't whip out a vacuum to take cappy out of the final fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Actually it owns because Yoko Taro initially didn't want a sexaulized character as the lead, then when they did it anyways, he decided that 2B needed to have the sexiest butt in gaming

What I'm saying is play Nier Automata

"Originally he was going to have a reasonable design but then he started thinking with his dick again."

That's not a good endorsement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately Nier A is both the best selling Yoko Taro and Platinum game by quite a bit so it worked out well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how do you know that the design undermines the story if you haven't played the game and therefore don't know the story?

like for all you know the game could be entirely about butts

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TF came out back when the WiiU thread was a sharktank so it was largely shrugged off as "not a system seller", because that's something people cared about for some reason.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Augus posted:

how do you know that the design undermines the story if you haven't played the game and therefore don't know the story?

Because everything I've seen about 2B's character suggests that she is trying to pass herself off as an emotionless, super serious robot soldier. There's zero reason for her to be dressed like that in that regard. Maybe in one of the routes I haven't seen it turns out that 2B secretly desires to be a combat prostitute but I highly doubt that.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

After Mario XCom turned out great there is no game concept I will straight up reject

Luigi's Mansion by FROM Software

Find out what happened to Luigi..

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Thanks all, good recs — one thing I forgot to ask, does the Switch have a built in stand for portable play? When I borrowed my friend's I played it in bed, holding the system with the joycons attached, but that fired my hands out after awhile. Wondering if there's a better setup for portable use.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

minya posted:

Thanks all, good recs — one thing I forgot to ask, does the Switch have a built in stand for portable play? When I borrowed my friend's I played it in bed, holding the system with the joycons attached, but that fired my hands out after awhile. Wondering if there's a better setup for portable use.

Yes but it sucks major rear end. My Switch will never in a million years stand upright and always tips over.

Best option, IMO, is either just going out of handheld mode or copping a $10 PlayStand from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Play...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Because everything I've seen about 2B's character suggests that she is trying to pass herself off as an emotionless, super serious robot soldier. There's zero reason for her to be dressed like that in that regard. Maybe in one of the routes I haven't seen it turns out that 2B secretly desires to be a combat prostitute but I highly doubt that.

Nah

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The stand on mine is fine and works well for what it is.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Adam and Eve are sexy as gently caress. I just wanted to play the game as them.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Motto posted:

TF came out back when the WiiU thread was a sharktank so it was largely shrugged off as "not a system seller", because that's something people cared about for some reason.

Also during the time when people were like "A game needs to use the Wii U's unique features to justify its existence"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the real problem with nier:automata is its nto available for the switch

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

minya posted:

The official case has an inside bit that can be folded into a rigid triangle so the Switch stands at an angle. It's okay for couch Pokken. But as said above, if you want to use the built in stand it'd have to stand on a desk or something similarly hard and stable, I don't think it'd even work in a bed because the surface would be too soft.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zeeman posted:

Also during the time when people were like "A game needs to use the Wii U's unique features to justify its existence"

That always made me laugh since while I liked games that made use of both at the same time, the best feature of the pad was always the ability to just play games without the tv. I’m glad that idea was built upon with the Switch.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My man..

https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Goose...2290YVFZ63J9K8Y

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SeANMcBAY posted:

That always made me laugh since while I liked games that made use of both at the same time, the best feature of the pad was always the ability to just play games without the tv. I’m glad that idea was built upon with the Switch.

I don't think I ever used that feature. I also barely ever play the Switch undocked either. When I want to play a game (not on my PC) I usually just settle down on the couch for a few hours and enjoy my oversized TV.

Its cool that we have all these different options so people can play games the way they like though.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
im pretty sure the switch was the original vision and the wiiu was the compromise when someone did the math

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah the nintendo strategy of let's be cheap as gently caress has always been irritating as hell to me

*gets flashbacks of the disappointment I felt when I first booted up a 3DS in 2011*

....or the "solution" to the lack of a second stick that they gracefully decided to incldue in the New3DS

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supposedly console R&D happens basically back to back so the WiiU was probably designed at least partly without consideration for mobile games existing and the Wii fad petering out.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah but a cornerstone of their business model has always been to use tech that is a generation or two behind as their products tend to sell well regardless

see: history of the gameboy

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'd probably beat that Kirby game if it was brought to the Switch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf pretty much every handheld competitor tried leapfrogging Nintendo in tech and ended up failing for one reason or another.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any word on Black Friday deals yet? Looking to snag a switch for my nephew and a bundle with Mario or Zelda would be great.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh I don't fault the method, it's certainly effective. I would just personally rather pony up the cash for a more premium device everytime, but I understand why they opt for the most attractive price point possible.

Thankfully, Vita realized what my dream handheld would be like, and the Switch is basically a better, bigger Vita with the added bonus of nintendo games so as far as premium hardware goes, the Switch nailed it (cept for the plastic screen but a glass protector fixes that up reaaal quick)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

KingSlime posted:

(cept for the plastic screen but a glass protector fixes that up reaaal quick)

It's crazy how much higher quality it looks and feels with one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mine doesn't have a protector because on every device I've tried to apply one I've gotten a single bubbles or a tiny micrometer or microradian misalignment and it drives me loving mad

Still haven't scratched a device screen but I know I'm going to eventually

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Augus posted:

like for all you know the game could be entirely about butts

Rier: Automata

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

yeah but a cornerstone of their business model has always been to use tech that is a generation or two behind as their products tend to sell well regardless

Not always, up til the Gamecube, Nintendo was as cutting edge as every other console maker. But when Sony and Microsoft made the PS3 and 360 they made them so ridiculously powerful that every unit sold was costing them money, and Nintendo looked at that, looked at the GC, and went "yeah, no" then duct taped two GC's together and bundled it with a Wiimote. They were still using GC tech in the WiiU as well.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah that's true, the cheaper tech approach was relegated to their handhelds for the most part, at least until after the GC as you pointed out

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

What the hell was wrong with those people? Someone even poo poo on Mario Kart.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not clickbait when it's an accurate description of the video and article.

If it wasn’t clickbait they would mention it was a bug in the video’s title or description, but they do not. It misrepresents it as the default load time until the very end so that people’s outrage and desire to sneer at stuff will inspire clicks and pre-emptive shares. You also didn’t link any article and there isn’t one in the tweet, so that’s not even relevant.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Bottom Liner posted:

Any word on Black Friday deals yet? Looking to snag a switch for my nephew and a bundle with Mario or Zelda would be great.

I think the Black Friday deal will be getting one at all. I’d doubt the switches will be discounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tried turning on my wii u and it is stuck on the white wii u loading screen at start up. I dusted it and same problem. It’s the black Mario kart wii u. Did it just brick itself after I got my switch? Know if a fix?

• Locked thread