Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

How exactly is twitter supposed to make money, anyway? I don't really use twitter, or care about it for the most part, but I've never seen like, ads on it or anything so I'm not really sure how they make money.

Really poorly targeted ads from my experience. Here is my average sponsored tweet experience:

'No Twitter, I'm not interested in investing in Portuguese real-estate funds.', 'I don't think this German who found the term value investing in a business management textbook is getting my money', 'I'm definitely not investing in gold anytime soon' or 'Why are you advertising Bitcoins to me'.

I just follow Youtube personalities and a bunch of local politics. I cannot imagine what target audience slot the Twitter algorithm has hap-hazardly slotted me into. :psyduck:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Nobody gives a poo poo. They're not tanked at all and they just openly wring their hand about being "presentable" to the media to save face. The same media that hangs on their every tweet while they continually ban everyone but nazis.

Twitter may not be profitable, but for the foreseeable future, it's indispensable which is far more valuable.

If you view @Jack as being a straight-up nazi, the business plan makes the most sense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Trump Organization is totally gonna buy Twitter.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Twitter may not be profitable, but for the foreseeable future, it's indispensable which is far more valuable.

But they still have to have revenue, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maxwell Lord posted:

TNA has existed for longer than Ted Turner's version of WCW has existed, and i'm not sure TNA has EVER turned a profit.

Inexplicable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress new Will & Grace is so good.

I missed weekly Sean Hayes in my life so loving much.

e: Megan Mullally is obvs a given

e2: oh god leslie jordan finally appeared

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 5, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

TNA has existed for longer than Ted Turner's version of WCW has existed, and i'm not sure TNA has EVER turned a profit.

Inexplicable.

So Twitter is being funded by Panda Energy?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jack Dorsey's other company Square has also not made a profit and actually lost over $400 million but he's somehow a tech billionaire.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Maxwell Lord posted:

As long as they keep growing that doesn't matter

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nope. They don't have to do poo poo. If they "need" revenue on paper, then they'll manufacture it. But at that level of power/influence/money, they don't need poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Nope. They don't have to do poo poo. If they "need" revenue on paper, then they'll manufacture it. But at that level of power/influence/money, they don't need poo poo.

I mean in the simplest terms, payroll, overhead, keeping the lights on in the offices. Unless they've managed some deal with local governments where they just don't have to pay utilities (which is entirely possible.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Twitter HQ is in like the shittiest part of San Francisco so they probably got a sweet deal.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean in the simplest terms, payroll, overhead, keeping the lights on in the offices. Unless they've managed some deal with local governments where they just don't have to pay utilities (which is entirely possible.)
All that would be well under a million at absolute most.

All for a platform that guides America and the world.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yasss Minnie Driver appeared.

Also Twitter sucks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Twitter has done some good. It's not a bad way to destroy a sexual abuser's career. On the other hand it seems countless people have been fired over a dumb tweet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Twitter has done some good. It's not a bad way to destroy a sexual abuser's career. On the other hand it seems countless people have been fired over a dumb tweet.

Not a bad way to give Terrorists, Nazi's and Chelsea FC a voice either

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Remember when cable companies got slapped with an order to stop doing the thing where commercials would be way louder than the shows/movies they were showing?

Well streaming sites are doing it now and it's really fuckin' annoying. Comedy Central's site is the worst offender.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anyone questioning these business models really needs to watch Silicon Valley.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sure, but if you think they're anywhere approaching operating and R&D costs I have a boat to sell you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose my question is, are they just doing constant refinancing or are they constantly finding new investors?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Finishing up season 3 of The Good Wife and I don't know if I'm going to bother with the other seasons. The subplots seem to go in circles and the court stuff is getting less and less interesting.

This ain't no Law & Order.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching Lexx. It's great, but I got a question; why did they switch actresses for Zev in season 2?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Finishing up season 3 of The Good Wife and I don't know if I'm going to bother with the other seasons. The subplots seem to go in circles and the court stuff is getting less and less interesting.

This ain't no Law & Order.
Yeah, I stopped by Good Wife marathon around there as well. I'm just not invested in the characters.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I started watching Lexx. It's great, but I got a question; why did they switch actresses for Zev in season 2?
Scheduling conflict arose from 2 year gap between seasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think The Good Wife is at its peak in season 5. It does some really fun things with Cary later on, but it's also mixed in with a bunch of Kalinda bullshit. I don't blame people for dropping off but it has good stuff.

Also, I learned Conan O'Brien's team were thinking of switching to a weekly format earlier this year. Their most popular videos online are when he does wacky stuff like Comic Con or his special trips to countries like Korea and Israel. I think it's clear at this point that the standard format of "monologue - 8 minute bit/sketch - 3 boring interviews" is getting stale. I would love if every week was just going to another city.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/conan-kevin-reilly-format-changes-1202137493/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I always thought it was weird that TBS decided to clone the Tonight Show format instead of doing something more tailored to Conan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it probably made sense at the time with all the Leno controversy and stuff but now with so many other weekly late night shows breaking the nightly format it really doesn't mean anything for Conan to still be doing the Carson thing.

And I imagine that TBS now has Samantha Bee and a bunch of comedies makes the need for a nightly Conan a little less.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lexx did the Orgy episode of Always Sunny, but in space

Josh Lyman posted:

Scheduling conflict arose from 2 year gap between seasons.

I'm glad there wasn't anything untoward going on in the Production of Lexx

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Also, I learned Conan O'Brien's team were thinking of switching to a weekly format earlier this year. Their most popular videos online are when he does wacky stuff like Comic Con or his special trips to countries like Korea and Israel. I think it's clear at this point that the standard format of "monologue - 8 minute bit/sketch - 3 boring interviews" is getting stale. I would love if every week was just going to another city.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/conan-kevin-reilly-format-changes-1202137493/

IIRC there's been talk about how nobody cares about Late Night show ratings anymore and instead the networks only care about cutting them up and putting bits on Youtube that can be spun off into their own things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stopped caring about late night tv the second Craig Ferguson quit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

That show was magical, a combination of producers who didn't seem to care and a comedy team that would try anything once and liked to see what they could get away with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

That show was magical, a combination of producers who didn't seem to care and a comedy team that would try anything once and liked to see what they could get away with.

It really was. I seem to recall that Craig got sort of Jon Stewart hosed? Like he was in line for the Letterman time slot but they went to Colbert instead so Craig just said gently caress this poo poo and left.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He always said he’d retire when Letterman did, but it sounds like there might have been more to it. Not that I think his awesome little show would’ve worked in the earlier time slot, and definitely would’ve been micromanaged to hell and back. Theres no way they’d let him keep his interviewing style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Same.

Everyone knows SNL is uneven but my God the "Baby Steps" song/sketch was incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

He always said he’d retire when Letterman did, but it sounds like there might have been more to it. Not that I think his awesome little show would’ve worked in the earlier time slot, and definitely would’ve been micromanaged to hell and back. Theres no way they’d let him keep his interviewing style.

I don't remember where I read it but it sounded plausible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also, I learned Conan O'Brien's team were thinking of switching to a weekly format earlier this year. Their most popular videos online are when he does wacky stuff like Comic Con or his special trips to countries like Korea and Israel. I think it's clear at this point that the standard format of "monologue - 8 minute bit/sketch - 3 boring interviews" is getting stale.

I would argue that it got "stale" at least 15 or so years ago when you could start easily following whatever you wanted to know about your favorite celebrities and the product they were trying to push on the internet, and with social media where it is now it's more of a mummified corpse at this point. I think the only thing really keeping the format afloat at all are the boomers that have way too much nostalgia and genuinely liked seeing Jay Leno on their TVs every night and the hosts themselves that venerate Carson like a saint. I can't remember the last time I watched any of the currently running late night shows myself, which is a shame because I was hoping Colbert would at least make things somewhat interesting.

Rhyno posted:

:same:
I don't think we're ever going to see something like that again, not even among shows hosted by Ferguson.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll occasionally turn on a late night show when I'm doing late night chores and just want something on in the background I don't really pay attention to. But yeah, it just seems like an antiquated notion in this day and age. You don't need to promote your movie that way or get your big exposure as a stand up or musician. We have the internet now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

We have the internet now.

Submitted for your approval, the new Couch Chat thread title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

raditts posted:

I was hoping Colbert would at least make things somewhat interesting.

I knew from the start that Colbert wouldn't bring anything new to the table. His schtick was old and grating less than a year into his old show.

precision posted:

Submitted for your approval, the new Couch Chat thread title.

I dig it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I knew from the start that Colbert wouldn't bring anything new to the table. His schtick was old and grating less than a year into his old show.
Colbert is the only late night show that has a political monologue. Jimmy Kimmel had a few high profile things with the Obamacare repeal but he doesn't do it regularly and when he does it's like 3 minutes. James Corden and Jimmy Fallon are of course useless, Seth Meyers' already terrible delivery comes with terrible writing, and Trevor Noah still doesn't have the bite of Jon Stewart. John Oliver is good but he's only weekly and his pieces aren't as satisfying as they were in earlier seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

Colbert is the only late night show that has a political monologue. Jimmy Kimmel had a few high profile things with the Obamacare repeal but he doesn't do it regularly and when he does it's like 3 minutes. James Corden and Jimmy Fallon are of course useless, Seth Meyers' already terrible delivery comes with terrible writing, and Trevor Noah still doesn't have the bite of Jon Stewart. John Oliver is good but he's only weekly and his pieces aren't as satisfying as they were in earlier seasons.

I can't stand Colbert so I don't care what he has to say about the political climate or anything.

• Locked thread