Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Re: co-sleeping; I had my now 3.5 year old in my bed until she was 2.5 and we transitioned her fully into her big girl bed at 3. It took maybe a month or two? of dad handling bed time. At first it sucked and took forever but now she gets three stories and goes right to sleep. Occasionally wakes at night and needs a hug or cuddle, but often just sleeps through the night.

This kid was one of those ultra attached babies who had to always be touching me, and nursed before bedtime until I got pregnant with her brother (at the very beginning of booting her to her own bed). She didn't sleep through the night until she was 18mo.

So, like, it can be done. And painlessly. It took a while and a lot of baby steps, but we didn't have to have any major screaming fits. Don't despair if co-sleeping is working for you!

Mr. Baby is a happy co-sleeper now. I'm not even entirety sure how many times a night he wakes up because I can apparently pop a boob in his mouth before either of us are fully awake and back to sleep we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Our 2.5 year old that we bedshared with since birth just straight up started asking to sleep in her own bed. She still comes in ours in the morning but there was no conscious transition. So yeah whatever works for you and don't get all judgy about it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

Our 2.5 year old that we bedshared with since birth just straight up started asking to sleep in her own bed. She still comes in ours in the morning but there was no conscious transition. So yeah whatever works for you and don't get all judgy about it.

Its almost like...every child is unique and every situation is different so maybe sometimes when talking about raising kids we should save absolutes for things that really matter like vaccines. :aaaaa:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah mine only wants to sleep with us when he is sick. Normally he has to be in his ground crib (NOT his car bed his mom got him, he doesnt like that becase he fell out once, so ground crib only) AND he has to be zipped in and we have to be the ones that let him out even though he is perfectly capable of unzipping it.

I guess it means we dont have to worry about nighttime wanders or bedroom injuries while we are asleep though so thats nice

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 6, 2017

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Related to sleep chat: daylight savings is the devil.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

TacoNight posted:

Related to sleep chat: daylight savings is the devil.

Ditto. Whole new level of hatred for it this year.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My wife and I are reaching our wits' ends. Our daughter, who is five and a half, very much sums up that old rhyme, "when she was good, she was really, really good; but when she was bad, she was horrid".

In general, she just seems to experience her emotions incredibly strongly, and has no mechanism for handling it. When she's happy, she's bouncing-off-the-walls-screaming happy; when she's sad, she's practically bawling her eyes out; and when she's angry, she's a screaming, howling, punching/kicking machine. What's worse is that her mood turns on a dime: things can be going great and it's fun being a family, then someone says something she doesn't like and suddenly it's temper tantrum central. When she's tired/hungry, it's even worse.

I don't want to stifle her having emotions, because emotions are good (although she could learn to not get mad at all the petty poo poo she does); but I do want to get it through her head that she needs to learn how to have emotions without becoming a practical embodiment of that emotion.

Does anyone have good recommendations on things to try, or books to read (her or us), or anything like that to help teach her how to handle her own emotions?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/mathewi/status/927629577920438274

fyi, never let your kids watch youtube kids unsupervised.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
A friend linked me an article about strange things in youtube targeting kids. Given the understandable hatred for finger family baby nursery rhyme crap videos in this thread, I think it's worth linking: https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

Edit: ^^ guess it's been widely distributed!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Axiem posted:

My wife and I are reaching our wits' ends. Our daughter, who is five and a half, very much sums up that old rhyme, "when she was good, she was really, really good; but when she was bad, she was horrid".

In general, she just seems to experience her emotions incredibly strongly, and has no mechanism for handling it. When she's happy, she's bouncing-off-the-walls-screaming happy; when she's sad, she's practically bawling her eyes out; and when she's angry, she's a screaming, howling, punching/kicking machine. What's worse is that her mood turns on a dime: things can be going great and it's fun being a family, then someone says something she doesn't like and suddenly it's temper tantrum central. When she's tired/hungry, it's even worse.

I don't want to stifle her having emotions, because emotions are good (although she could learn to not get mad at all the petty poo poo she does); but I do want to get it through her head that she needs to learn how to have emotions without becoming a practical embodiment of that emotion.

Does anyone have good recommendations on things to try, or books to read (her or us), or anything like that to help teach her how to handle her own emotions?

There is nothing wrong with consulting with a professional. If you've got the time / means / etc, do it sooner rather than later. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your kid or your parenting. Sometimes an outside perspective / someone with expertise is all you need.

Start out by managing the things that trigger her - keep snacks with you and don't let her get hungry. Same thing with her getting too tired, plan ahead and try to avoid it.

Are the really strong reactions reinforced by you (not intentionally)? If the screaming finally gets you to give her that candy she wants, or the crying gets her the extra attention she wants, she's going to keep doing it. Don't allow the escalating behavior to get her the results she wants.

Talk to her before she gets really sad or really mad about what is appropriate behavior. Come up with a plan ahead of time about what she can do when she's really sad or mad.

Probably lots of other stuff you could try as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
that articles already been linked in the thread a couple times. guess its making the rounds again?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The idea of bots commenting on those insipid YouTube videos makes sense and at the same time isn't something I had previously considered. Is there a way to tell a robot from a human on YouTube? My kids are in love with "come play with me" (about the toddler girls of Elsa and Anna from frozen) and those videos are always lousy with comments.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

that articles already been linked in the thread a couple times. guess its making the rounds again?

It said it was published on November 6th? Unless it was reposted from somewhere else? I mean it's not groundbreaking research so it might have been covered elsewhere, but it does a decent job of showcasing the absurdist horrors of YouTube-for-kids.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I took my five (almost six) year old daughter with me while I voted today (governor) so she could see how it worked. Afterward, she told me it was different than what she expected. In her head we were going to be in a big crowd and the governors would be on a stage talking and asking for us to vote for them by show of hands. I was sorry to disappoint her but it seemed like such a good glimpse into the perceptions of a young kid and I thought it was cute.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

sheri posted:

I think judging other people on things like where their kids sleep is pretty lovely. If everyone is safe and getting sleep who the gently caress cares. Kids are different, parents are different, what works for one doesn't work for all.

100x this. If the parents don’t mind, who cares. Heaven forbid a kid feel a strong relationship with their parents? Like Pnurtis is going to be out and in his own bed far longer than he’ll be in mine so until then, I’ll take it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have Some Opinions™ and what I see as biologically normal for humans but that’s a whole stream of consciousness that I’m certain nobody cares about and might not be the best fit for the thread anyway

GlyphGryph posted:

I believe that one is new. There’s a handful of them. I really hope YouTube cracks down on it

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 7, 2017

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

n8r posted:

Are the really strong reactions reinforced by you (not intentionally)? If the screaming finally gets you to give her that candy she wants, or the crying gets her the extra attention she wants, she's going to keep doing it. Don't allow the escalating behavior to get her the results she wants.

We try very hard; it's just difficult when her emotions turn on a dime.

quote:

Talk to her before she gets really sad or really mad about what is appropriate behavior. Come up with a plan ahead of time about what she can do when she's really sad or mad.

We have many times; the problem is that when she actually is mad, she refuses to do them.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

me your dad posted:

I took my five (almost six) year old daughter with me while I voted today (governor) so she could see how it worked. Afterward, she told me it was different than what she expected. In her head we were going to be in a big crowd and the governors would be on a stage talking and asking for us to vote for them by show of hands. I was sorry to disappoint her but it seemed like such a good glimpse into the perceptions of a young kid and I thought it was cute.

https://politics.theonion.com/disappointed-first-time-voter-thought-he-was-going-to-g-1819579420

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Interesting article. I know occasionally when I let my son watch about 30 min of videos on YouTube, he sometimes finds those weird matching videos- another good reason to limit that to just the Peppa season I bought from Amazon instead.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Recommend your favourite toddler-friendly TV shows to binge watch on the internet without running the YouTube horror show gauntlet itt

Based in the UK so mine might not all be available in the US or vice versa but whatever.

Puffin Rock: Nice gentle adventures featuring young puffins and other animals on a small island. Minor peril from seagulls but always resolved quickly. Narrated by Chris O'Dowd (of IT Crowd fame). Animation, Available on UK Netflix.

Clangers: You all know what Clangers are, right? It was a big deal in the 80s(?) and recently revived. Little alien mice that live on/in a small planet and have a chill time with the Soup Dragon, Iron Chicken and other visitors which are totally just objects the producers found in their homes and brought in. Stop-motion, narrated by Michael Palin. BBC iPlayer. Apparently there's a US version narrated by Bill Shatner for some reason?

Rastamouse: He's a mouse who solves mysteries and also plays reggae. Dubious accents and cheese jokes. Emphasis on rehabilitation rather than retribution "make a bad thing good." Stop motion, BBC iPlayer

Bing: A rabbit has various toddler-style experiences with his friends and their helpers. Helpers take the role of adults but are smaller than the toddlers and resemble soft toys. Frequently involves accidents or mistakes but everything being ok and dealt with calmly and lovingly. Includes a short summary of the episode at the end which is helpful too. CGI, BBC iPlayer

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if you can access Canadian shows but:

Dot : a kids show about responsible use of technology

Scout and the Gumboot Kids - a show about exploring nature (I really like this one and it's also pretty short)

Napkin Man - a show about dealing with emotions

The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That - is also mostly about nature and animals

I hate Super Why but my kid loves it, and I think it's helped a lot with her reading skills.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

US here. Puffin Rock and Sarah & Duck are my personal favorites of the kid shows. Dinotrux is good too. But to be honest he's not really a huge fan of either of them, he much prefers to see people playing with toys in youtube videos (or what youtube videos of vehicles).

He also likes this japanese language show about a box, and people guess what the box is, and it changes shape? That one is on Netflix. Surprisingly good, but there's no way he knows what they are saying.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Puffin Rock: Nice gentle adventures featuring young puffins and other animals on a small island. Minor peril from seagulls but always resolved quickly. Narrated by Chris O'Dowd (of IT Crowd fame). Animation, Available on UK Netflix.

It's also on US Netflix, and is a delightful show.

I'm fond of Sarah & Duck, which is a delightfully absurd show.

Though my kids are also over the moon for Paw Patrol :rolleyes: And my daughter went through a Robocar Poli phase; my son still likes Thomas the Tank Engine and Chuggington because trains.

A while back, I noted that there was a My Little Pony movie in theatres, and my daughter asked to go see it; I pointed out that she never seemed that interested in MLP, so I didn't think she'd be interested in the movie. Cue the next time she gets ahold of Netflix (since she can control it on the Apple TV), she starts binge watching MLP.

That only lasted a day or two, then it was back to True and the Rainbow Kingdom, which is alright I guess.

I dislike Super Why, but I don't ban it like I do Curious George. Curious George is a scourge that should be purged from this Earth.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh yeah, we have Sarah & Duck too, it's awesome! Another one of the kid's favourites. She's also into Olobob Top right now which is on the verge of being too fast and colourful for my liking but drat if the song isn't catchy as hell.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Peg + cat and dinosaur train are the two best shows I've found.

gently caress paw patrol forever.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Axiem posted:

I dislike Super Why, but I don't ban it like I do Curious George. Curious George is a scourge that should be purged from this Earth.

This is me and Caillou. Not now, not ever.

Mine loves My Little Pony but also really likes Spirit:Riding Free on Netflix (and the Spirit movie from 2000, which is legitimately pretty great). I don't mind either until she starts asking for the toys. The Spirit toys are loving expensive as hell for no reason that I can see. At least there's MLP stuff at pretty much any price point.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Our kids love Dinosaur Train, as well as Dino Dan and Dino Dana. They also love Zaboomafoo and Kratt's Creatures.

We also watch Tumbleleaf, Stinky and Dirty, Creative Galaxy, and Sid the Science Kid.

Peep and the Big Wide World they think is completely hilarious, and they've recently been watching Shaun the Sheep as well.

We have also watched classic Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers, but they generally seem to prefer animated shows.

We don't let them watch stuff on Youtube because of how easy it is to get sidetracked into who knows what, so they generally pick shows off an Amazon watchlist that we curate. Sometimes things come up on recommendations that we'll take about with them and decide if we're going to add to the list.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
The only videos I let my kids watch on Youtube are wacky kitten videos. Sometimes it feeds to other crazy animal videos, sometimes it brings up cosplayers or video games or something, so I monitor it constantly.

It's the only social media I expose them to, except for the occasional family video on Facebook.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
God help me, but the Bubble Guppies aren’t terrible and sometimes actually have catchy songs in their episodes. The show also does a good job modeling how preschool classes should function, it has kids of different sexes interacting together (which doesn’t happen all the time at the age group the show targets), and often teaches worthwhile lessons/has a fair bit of STEM in it.

First season is on amazon prime, but I think you can find subsequent seasons elsewhere on the web.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

God help me, but the Bubble Guppies aren’t terrible and sometimes actually have catchy songs in their episodes. The show also does a good job modeling how preschool classes should function, it has kids of different sexes interacting together (which doesn’t happen all the time at the age group the show targets), and often teaches worthwhile lessons/has a fair bit of STEM in it.

First season is on amazon prime, but I think you can find subsequent seasons elsewhere on the web.

Bubble Guppy songs are legit catchy.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I like Ben & Holly.

I mean, my kids like Ben & Holly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My two year old constantly asks to "watch trucks"

Which is a random car show I found on Netflix called Dirt Every Day.

It's basically a low budget top gear dedicated to off-roading, but he loves it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Odd squad on pbs isn't bad.
My kid also likes Good Eats and Bob Ross.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
We've had our kids off youtube for a while. We use Netflix with the little kids profile. They of course went through the Paw Patrol stage, which comes back every so often. Our 6 year old is all about Lego Ninjago and our 2 year old Masha and the Bear (which she asks with her cry for: "neneeeeeee? more neneeeeeee? neneeeeeee?").

I try to push other things like The Magic School Bus every so often as a pre-requisite to watch something else.

Edit: Oh, also, they will happily watch The Piano Guys videos endlessly, but that comes with the youtube rabbit hole.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I'll do educational videos with my kids on Youtube, though I watch it with them (partly to monitor length, partly because I like learning too, and partly because I'll switch it to something else if it's inaccurate (there's a lot of bad science videos out there)). Our daughter will sometimes ask for one of those in lieu of a bedtime story.

So we've watched videos on caterpillars turning into butterflies; the history/formation of the Earth; how hurricanes and tornadoes form; and about blizzards. Turns out the older grades in her school are studying weather :shrug:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am looking forward to a time when I can bust out some Bill Nye the Science Guy videos, there is a fair bit of them up on YouTube it seems.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
No youtube for the kids here except music videos and only when I'm actively watching it with him. That's our politic for TV too though and we mostly stick to movies.

He mostly wants to watch a few songs a day and look at pictures of us and other family members on Facebook, but when he wants to watch TV it's one of these

He really likes Paw Patrol which is meh but ubiquitous so I don't think you can really avoid it. It's also not that terrible so I don't really care
He loves Kubo and the two strings. I don't understand how he manage to not get scared shitless from this (he gets scared easily) but hey he always asks for it.
He loves finding Nemo.
Other than that we watch TV shows in french from Quebec

Once he grows older I plan on finding good science, and other educational videos. And probably cave in and let him watch a few terrible shows too. But up to now we've been pretty good at keeping the TV off from the moment they wake up to the moment they go to bed. I'm going to keep it that way for as long as possible

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 8, 2017

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alterian posted:

Odd squad on pbs isn't bad.
My kid also likes Good Eats and Bob Ross.

Odd Squad rules and I wish my kid liked it as much as I do. The only live action stuff she's really into is Dino Dan and (the far superior) Dino Dana, and Napkin Man.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
My kids are also on the Paw Patrol and Bubble Guppy trains. The English dub of Masha and the Bear is a drat scourge in our house because we've had them watching it in Russian forever but at some point we came across it in English on Netflix and now they ask for that. We're trying to keep them exposed to Russian stuff, so that doesn't help. They also really like an old Russian cartoon called Nu Pogodi, but boy is it problematic sometimes.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My 3.5 year old is super into Sarah & Duck, Doc McStuffins, and Our Lord and Master Daniel Tiger.

We listen to the music from the latter two during breakfast - she likes to bellow at Alexa to make it happen. Especially Daniel Tiger. His songs are constants in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is PJ Masks a Pandora's Box that I should consider opening? My kid was asking about it when a commercial came on the other day. Better, worse, or a lateral move from that bloody Paw Patrol?