Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Zeikier posted:

It's the best use of Klasky-Csupo's grotesque style, which I forget if we already brought that up. It goes a little too gross sometimes but yeah.

It's a prime example of a show you talked up to your friends and when you'd try to show it to them they'd air the worst episode. I won't miss that age of television.

yeah I remember enjoying the show back when it was on, but it just looks messy and lovely all the time. The thing I like the least now is the voice on the Pig Detective, it's just so flat and boring and trying to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zeikier posted:

It's a prime example of a show you talked up to your friends and when you'd try to show it to them they'd air the worst episode. I won't miss that age of television.

Ah, so you've seen Mr Show too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Duckman I remember for having the same art style as the Jumanji cartoon, which is mostly memorable for tons of really hosed up poo poo. See the bogleech entry on it.

The Oblongs reminds me of Quads!, which was more along the South Park style of humour, though I don't think its depictions of women and homosexuals were particularly good in the first place. Then again, it's pretty much from the point of view of not particularly sympathetic but still underdog disabled people trying to make their way in the world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Duckman I remember for having the same art style as the Jumanji cartoon, which is mostly memorable for tons of really hosed up poo poo. See the bogleech entry on it.

The Oblongs reminds me of Quads!, which was more along the South Park style of humour, though I don't think its depictions of women and homosexuals were particularly good in the first place. Then again, it's pretty much from the point of view of not particularly sympathetic but still underdog disabled people trying to make their way in the world.

I believe the showrunner of Quads was himself a disabled guy, which kind of helped a lot with that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just ran into an old SNL Weekend Update segment that has aspects which really did not age well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvYBx0qEbk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I believe the showrunner of Quads was himself a disabled guy, which kind of helped a lot with that.

The show was based on the comics of John Callahan, a quadriplegic cartoonist of pervert cartoons.

e. misplaced modifier

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hey remember the SNL character Pat? They were androgynous.

Are you laughing yet? No? Well too bad, because that’s THE WHOLE JOKE. They did like a hundred of those things. Thare was a Pat movie. What the gently caress was the movie about?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Help I can't stop watching old poorly aged SNL somebody help me ohgodohgod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Help I can't stop watching old poorly aged SNL somebody help me ohgodohgod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM

DAN AYKROYD DEFENDER HAS BEEN SUMMONED TO THE THREAD

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Speaking of things that haven't aged well, how about that Chevy Chase?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

Speaking of things that haven't aged well, how about that Chevy Chase?

Well, he's Chevy Chase, and we're not.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Absurd Alhazred posted:

thank goodness for that!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ariong posted:

Are you laughing yet? No? Well too bad, because that’s THE WHOLE JOKE. They did like a hundred of those things. Thare was a Pat movie. What the gently caress was the movie about?

IT was about a normal successful person slowly going insane trying to determine pats gender and pats relationship with a person of equally undeterminable gender named Chris

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^:arghfist:

Ariong posted:

I don't know what the movie was about. I thought the funny part of Pat sketches wasn't laughing at the character, but rather laughing at the increasingly frustrated people trying to fit him/her into a definite category and failing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Beachcomber posted:

^^^:arghfist:

I don't know what the movie was about. I thought the funny part of Pat sketches wasn't laughing at the character, but rather laughing at the increasingly frustrated people trying to fit him/her into a definite category and failing.

They just wanted to have them down pat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pat sketches were either 'lol how weeeeeeird they're androgynous' or 'someone who considers themselves a 'regular' person gets increasingly flustered trying to force Pat into their binary worldview while Pat remains unaware and friendly regardless'. The former have obviously aged pretty rough but the latter had some solid jokes still.

That movie, like near every SNL movie, was dogshit

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
I don't feel like looking it up very hard but there's a pretty striking old Weekend Update bit about the assassination of Harvey Milk that involves showing "footage" of his memorial parade that's actually footage of a Chinese communist march and how to identify which people in the footage are tops and which are bottoms, and it ends with Bill Murray accidentally calling him Harry Milk.

It has not, if I may dare say, aged well

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's aged so poorly that it now concerns Harvey Yoghurt.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Weekend update was always the weakest part of SNL to me so learning it hasn't aged well isn't that much of a shocker.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Norm mcdonalds weekend update was usually the funniest part of the show

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
the weakest part of SNL is the writing, followed by the acting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Medium talent!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
'It's Pat' was awesome because it really does freak people out when they can't gender define you. I'm not even talking about transgender people because you can define their gender pretty easy as long as you're not being an rear end in a top hat. But no one knew what Pat was.

Pat's boyfriend being named Chris as brilliant writing. Also I think the movie version only showed at one theater in Alabama and for awhile was the lowest grossing film of all time.

Gaunab posted:

Weekend update was always the weakest part of SNL to me so learning it hasn't aged well isn't that much of a shocker.

All Weekend Update episodes suck in retrospect because it's 100% topical humor and makes no sense or is just tired rehashes when you watch them years later. Like if Shrek was distilled to just the parts with SmashMouth songs and jokes about the Matrix.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just ran into an old SNL Weekend Update segment that has aspects which really did not age well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvYBx0qEbk

Going by the audience reaction, I don't think it was good at the time.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I liked weekend update, but some of their character bits in the later seasons just drag on for way too long. Except Stefon, he's always great..

From the newer episodes I've seen, the latest anchor doesn't have his own voice. It always sounds like his lines were written specifically for Seth Meyers and he's just the one reading them off.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Probably the reason Norm MacDonald's weekend update worked so much better is precisely because of how often his jokes were nonsequitors, avoiding topical humor. My brother and I still will rarely surprise each other with "You guessed it: Frank Stallone" for example.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kay Kessler posted:

I liked weekend update, but some of their character bits in the later seasons just drag on for way too long. Except Stefon, he's always great..

From the newer episodes I've seen, the latest anchor doesn't have his own voice. It always sounds like his lines were written specifically for Seth Meyers and he's just the one reading them off.

I think the Weekend Update guys are usually the head writers. Like Tina Fey and then Seth Meyers after her. Colin Jost (the latest anchor) was the head writer for awhile there. So maybe he's writing the lines as Seth for himself.

I'm a little amazed at how little the cast gets paid. First year cast members don't even break 100k while having to pay NYC cost of living. Cocaine must have been a lot cheaper in the 70's and 80's.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm a little amazed at how little the cast gets paid. First year cast members don't even break 100k while having to pay NYC cost of living. Cocaine must have been a lot cheaper in the 70's and 80's.
I think they do this so they can hire unknowns from improv troupes or standup or w/e.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SNL's writing is pretty hit and miss, but I'm always impressed at their ability to find talent. Mad TV was the same way, but with an even lower hit:miss ratio.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Choco1980 posted:

Probably the reason Norm MacDonald's weekend update worked so much better is precisely because of how often his jokes were nonsequitors, avoiding topical humor. My brother and I still will rarely surprise each other with "You guessed it: Frank Stallone" for example.

Well, that just goes to prove his theory:

Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

FactsAreUseless posted:

SNL's writing is pretty hit and miss, but I'm always impressed at their ability to find talent. Mad TV was the same way, but with an even lower hit:miss ratio.

Hey, Will Sasso deserved way more love than he got (and Alex Borstein and Michael McDonald did pretty well for themselves). You're right though, in large part MADTV doesn't really hold up like old SNL. Mid-90s SNL was a shitshow so at least MADTV started at the right time, when SNL was down to the understudies' understudies and in a Bad Place. I'm kinda surprised the endless font of dumb jokes that was MAD magazine didn't come up with better writers for the show but eh, it was the mid 90s. Nothing was good in the early-mid 90s.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKennedys posted:

Hey, Will Sasso deserved way more love than he got (and Alex Borstein and Michael McDonald did pretty well for themselves).
Yes, this is what I'm saying. MADTV had a great cast but more bad sketches.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I'm watching some America's Next Top Model compilations and it's hilarious to see Tyra "feminist boss lady" Banks tell girls to tone down their intelligence or confidence because it's intimidating. I'm constantly waiting for her to put on a Warren Jeffs cult dress and tell them to "Stay sweet".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TheKennedys posted:

Nothing was good in the early-mid 90s.

Seinfeld

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SNL was always terrible, and the only way people find it bearable is when they cherry pick the three or four funny skits they did over the course of an entire year.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
This cup has aged well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Nothing was good in the early-mid 90s that did not technically start in the late 80s.

See also: The Simpsons

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
SNL has always been mostly mediocre and always will be, it is pretty much that way by design.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

londonarbuckle posted:

SNL has always been mostly mediocre and always will be, it is pretty much that way by design.

Someone hasn't seen patrick stewart's erotic cakes sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wouldn't say it's so much a hit:miss ratio regarding talent so much as it is success.