Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be your champions come Sunday Morning?
This poll is closed.
Bisping/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 51 29.82%
Bisping/Garbrandt/Namajunas 8 4.68%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 16 9.36%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Namajunas 3 1.75%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Namajunas 12 7.02%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 62 36.26%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Namajunas 6 3.51%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 13 7.60%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
mighty johnsons wrestling had some issues when everyone was bigger. brad pickett threw him around. if anyone decides to strictly stand with him hes got a shot based on skill and speed but i think at least cody and cruz would use takedowns to whip him. tj might be the best match up, maybe cody since maybe his aggression leaves some openings, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Trast posted:

Some people from his old fight camp accused him of doping. Rampage was the loudest about it.

I think that was after Rampage did a camp at Wolfslair and was dumbfounded at Bisping's cardio capacity.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm going to say that anyone's wrestling at 135 would be comparable to the guy at 125 who won an Olympic medal. Or at least not drastically better. MM will make anyone at 135 look stupid.

Jk I'm sure mm will just stand there and eat a head kick thrown completely without set up.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

He doesn’t carry a ton of muscle to slow him down and seems to have really good conditioning. It’s not all that crazy to me. Doesn’t blow his adrenaline load quick nowadays either.

Also rarely commits to strikes, throwing wee little pitty-patty bitch hits with no real energy expenditure. It's no coincidence that the Rockhold fight was also the fight where he didn't get a full camp so couldn't go all in on his retarded one-eyed tip-toeing hummingbird style of fighting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

freud mayweather posted:

he was getting clearly exhausted from missing overhand rights and failing to keep bisping down, and it looked like he'd either lose a lopsided decision or take an accumulation tko. then he landed a gorgeous punch and showed a killer instinct we've never really seen from him before. it was pretty great.

gsp's ground and pound was really good. very accurate and meticulous. it looked for a moment like bisping might recover or gsp might gas himself out trying to finish, but he didn't throw much that didn't land hard and picked his shots.

i miss the pre-knee injury days of infinite gas gsp.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol ya his ground and pound was so great that he got elbowed to poo poo and cut up from the top until he had bisping hurt badly

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think saying that Dillashaw throws head kicks without setup is kind of a disservice to him. He's not just going in with them, he jumps in and uses them to test range and follows up on them quite well. He uses weird angles on them too so they come from a slightly different angle than you expect. It's not like say, late career cro cop who just really threw out arbitrary kicks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bisping should've lost to Thales Leites.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CRISPYBABY posted:

I think saying that Dillashaw throws head kicks without setup is kind of a disservice to him. He's not just going in with them, he jumps in and uses them to test range and follows up on them quite well. He uses weird angles on them too so they come from a slightly different angle than you expect. It's not like say, late career cro cop who just really threw out arbitrary kicks.

It's stupid because Duane called for him to stand in front of him and "blast kicks".

Garbrandt was outboxing him but doesnt use his feet super well to get all the way out. He's more reliant on slips and feints. Tj started blasting his body and arms with kicks and then went high.

The strategy immediately paid off and its different from what tj did in his last two fights. It's like his camp actively finds a weakness in their opponent and has a pattern to exploit it.

It's why dj would be a cool opponent for him. The only weakness i can see in Johnson's game is he occasionally backs straight out when pressured instead of angling and can at times leave his hands a little low.

It's how he got caught against Dodson and its how he got dropped by Tim Elliott. It's rare that it happens but it's a hole.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Another weakness is that he's the size of a child.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

mighty johnsons wrestling had some issues when everyone was bigger. brad pickett threw him around. if anyone decides to strictly stand with him hes got a shot based on skill and speed but i think at least cody and cruz would use takedowns to whip him. tj might be the best match up, maybe cody since maybe his aggression leaves some openings, I dunno.

The Pickett fight was fully 7 years ago. I don't even think Johnson was training full time. I see your point, it's just a weird fight to use to illustrate it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Another weakness is that he's the size of a child.

hmmm yes mountain of a man TJ Dillashaw sure does tower over him.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Demetrious Johnson is a great fighter. Perhaps the greatest we have.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
DJ vs TJ is gonna be like Matt Hume and Bang playing a video game against each other

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Skip My Posts posted:

lol ya his ground and pound was so great that he got elbowed to poo poo and cut up from the top until he had bisping hurt badly

despite having an opponent hurt badly, many fighters still don't manage to land accurately or effectively and commit to flurries which gas themselves out. i was impressed with bisping's guard and bottom game, given how good gsp is at passing guards. i was also impressed with gsp's desire to get into his opponent's fight shorts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Neurosis posted:

despite having an opponent hurt badly, many fighters still don't manage to land accurately or effectively and commit to flurries which gas themselves out. i was impressed with bisping's guard and bottom game, given how good gsp is at passing guards. i was also impressed with gsp's desire to get into his opponent's fight shorts.
I wish Yves Lavingne could have reffed that fight and done the opposite of his "DON'T HOLD THE SHORTS" from Anderson-Chael 2.

Seriously though GSP's famous crawl-over pass got stopped twice but it felt like he had a read on Bisping's previous escapes from his back and played that perfectly. I haven't enjoyed watching a fight that much in years, or at least Diaz-McGregor 1.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 6, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Joanna vs Cyborg when?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grem posted:

Joanna vs Cyborg when?

Joanna would probably win that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Snowman_McK posted:

Joanna would probably win that.

Not with the striking defence she showed on Saturday.

Joanna has always had issues fighting on her back foot. It’s just that she’s never run into someone with good enough pressure and power to make her pay for it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

No one's talking about Stephen Thompson's win over Masvidal. Who should he fight next? You really can't throw him up against Woodley again. Maybe Colby Covington or...or...I think everyone else is booked up. Even fuckin Ponzinibbio.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Untrustable posted:

No one's talking about Stephen Thompson's win over Masvidal. Who should he fight next? You really can't throw him up against Woodley again. Maybe Colby Covington or...or...I think everyone else is booked up. Even fuckin Ponzinibbio.

don't care. not woodley. don't care.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Untrustable posted:

No one's talking about Stephen Thompson's win over Masvidal.

That's because no one cares.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

don't care. not woodley. don't care.

There may have been a point in time when I looked forward to a Wonderboy fight but it was at least three Wonderboy fights ago.

Man the Welterweight title picture took a dump in the last year and a half.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The closer a contender is to fighting Woodley, the less I give a poo poo about them.

Unless they're Brutal Bob, naturally.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Wonderboy styling on Masvidal was cool as gently caress

I'm willing to forgive him for the dreadful Woodley rematch, outside of that poo poo show he's usually entertaining as hell

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Has there ever been any ~epo chatter around 38 year old infinite gas tank Mike Bisping?

theres no real evidence. frankly i think anyone can have more than enough gas for a 5 round fight if they specifically train for it, nobody accuses diaz of taking epo and its not like his cardio is even world class either since hes ranked like 80th in his state as a triathlete

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t even remember anything about the Thompson/Masvidal fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

theres no real evidence. frankly i think anyone can have more than enough gas for a 5 round fight if they specifically train for it, nobody accuses diaz of taking epo and its not like his cardio is even world class either since hes ranked like 80th in his state as a triathlete

cardio doesn't one for one when you switch sports. his cardio in in mma is better than 80th and that's in the entire world.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wonderboy vs Darren Till is extremely my poo poo.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I remember when Wonderboy completely dismantling Hendricks was insanely impressive, way back in 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to give Hendricks some credit for his consistent hilariousness.

From being very fat to liking creampies on twitter, I think he's given the MMA community a lot.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

cardio doesn't one for one when you switch sports. his cardio in in mma is better than 80th and that's in the entire world.

thats not what im saying

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

K

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I want to give Hendricks some credit for his consistent hilariousness.

From being very fat to liking creampies on twitter, I think he's given the MMA community a lot.

I missed the creampies stuff, but hoo boy is it hilarious to look at this last 3 years. From 15-2, since then 3-6, missing weight 3 times, coincidentally opening a cheesesteak place.

In other news, holy poo poo do I seem to have missed an amazing show in UFC 217!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wazzu posted:

I missed the creampies stuff, but hoo boy is it hilarious to look at this last 3 years. From 15-2, since then 3-6, missing weight 3 times, coincidentally opening a cheesesteak place.

In other news, holy poo poo do I seem to have missed an amazing show in UFC 217!

Opening a cheesesteak place and then seeing it go bust

And yeah you did that was a seriously incredible card

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Has there ever been any ~epo chatter around 38 year old infinite gas tank Mike Bisping?

Yeah. Particularly after usada came in and he gassed against tim kennedy.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

The Pickett fight was fully 7 years ago. I don't even think Johnson was training full time. I see your point, it's just a weird fight to use to illustrate it.

i think he had a job then but he trained like a pro even when he had a job. maybe his strength and wrestling have picked up but i dunno. the reason i brought it up is he hasnt fought at 135 in a long time, he wasnt an elite wrestler there, and brad pickett was the worst wrestler who gave him problems

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

sean sherk said it takes 5 years to build up the cardio for 5 rounds , and he was roiding like crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bigg Rigg owned a lovely steakhouse. Cheesesteaks are a philly/yankee thing where Johny is a standard oklahoma redneck.

• Locked thread