Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Game out yet?

e: sorry, is the patch that was supposed to release last year out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sillybones posted:

I have a vague memory of something like this. Chris complaining that these newfangled programmers that have lost the idea of OPTIMISATION. His magic hands will come in and make the impossible happen in this new era because of ancient knowledge and just plain ol' gusto.

Look guys, EHHMMMN you just need to, you know, EHM, just sort of OPTIMIZE your code so, AH, it will run FASTER and hold more PLAYERS guys, ok?

Tebulot
Apr 25, 2007

im hip now bois

Pillbug

Berious posted:

although we might get star citizen before mount and blade 2

I don't think I could handle that.

On that same note though, goddamn am I excited for that game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tebulot posted:

I don't think I could handle that.

On that same note though, goddamn am I excited for that game.

My excitement can only increase if they change that god drat font.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

holy gently caress mountain blade 2?!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solarin posted:

holy gently caress mountain blade 2?!

Wait is it out?

Also Toops you should play Nier: Automata. Videogames are still good.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Taintrunner posted:

Also Toops you should play Nier: Automata. Videogames are still good.

I've heard that one is good, I'll give it a try on your recommendation, provided it does not have loot crates.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

I've heard that one is good, I'll give it a try on your recommendation, provided it does not have loot crates.

No loot crates. Does have some hot butts tho.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

no_recall posted:

No loot crates. Does have some hot butts tho.

If you play Nier: Automata too long, they burn into your retina. The world I witness is now overlayed by android butts.

Could be worse.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just played Wing Commander IV for like the millionth time, I can't help but feel that if Roberts didn't have delusions of grandeur he'd have made a passable TV director

my time probably would have been better spent hauling my old A1200 out of storage to play Frontier Elite II again though

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Warhawk109 posted:

Request for thread if anyone has links handy:

Crobert’s limited edition Porsche picture
Chris’s Monaco vacation pic
Anything detailing the ascendant pictures fiasco with Kevin Costner and mishandling of money.
Anything about Chris’s time as a used cars salesman, and that story about him couch surfing when going through the first divorce with Sandy.

Trying to convince my cousin that it’s time to get out. He was the first to sell me on SC, and still all in.

there is also photo from hawaii airport just before 2016 gamescom. But i cant find it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pedrocamacho/status/926940098767327242

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

I like how Adzadama just quietly in the background keeps on doing what he's doing all these years.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/188076113?t=01h39m42s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Miami_BaT/status/927160926943322114

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Toops posted:

Look guys, EHHMMMN you just need to, you know, EHM, just sort of OPTIMIZE your code so, AH, it will run FASTER and hold more PLAYERS guys, ok?

Heh, the amusing thing is, that while premature optimisation is a bad thing, some things are pretty much optimised these days from the get go. Such as defining data structures in a particular way, if possible, to align them for SIMD processing. Its an utter ballache to swizzle them at a later date, so you keep the structure required in mind when you code the system in the first place. (most modern compilers are smart enough to spot the SIMD friendly structure and implement the SIMD code at compile time, saving you the hassle of writing the drat code.)

Which is good as SIMD code can be tricky to read. For Example.
(code below has been changed to protect the innocent, is incomplete and contains pseudo code, but it's effectively part of an audio mixer)

while( some audio samples left to do )
{
int64_t const *dcb0 = reinterpret_cast<int64_t const*>(&db0[idx0]);
int64_t const *dcb1 = reinterpret_cast<int64_t const*>(&db1[idx1]);
__m128 s0 = _mm_castsi128_ps(_mm_set_epi64x(*dcb1, *dcb0));
Vector128 sampling0 = (_mm_shuffle_ps(s0, s1, _MM_SHUFFLE(2, 0, 2, 0)));
c0 = DirectX::XMVectorSubtract(sampling0, sampling1);
sampling0 = DirectX::XMVectorMultiplyAdd(c0, propThough0, sampling0);
buffer[outIndex] = DirectX::XMVectorAdd(sampling0, volumes0);
}

etc...

If you think thats bad, yo should see the whole mixer, I wrote it and have trouble following it as everything is flipped and switched around to speed up processing. However it had to be written like this from the get go, and people asking me to optimise it, get *that* look, as its pretty much optimal as it stands... ;)

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 6, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/VfYkmmM.gifv

3.0 is good

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Michael Phelps confirmed.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

at least the doors are working

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

The light in the hallway shining through the crack under the doors, turns off after the doors close. Energy conservation is in.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Found this example of real life catte game development, in case anyone needs to archer it for tax:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Warhawk109 posted:

Request for thread if anyone has links handy:

Crobert’s limited edition Porsche picture
Chris’s Monaco vacation pic
Anything detailing the ascendant pictures fiasco with Kevin Costner and mishandling of money.
Anything about Chris’s time as a used cars salesman, and that story about him couch surfing when going through the first divorce with Sandy.

Trying to convince my cousin that it’s time to get out. He was the first to sell me on SC, and still all in.

Ascendant pays Kevin Costner undisclosed settlement

Ascendant Pictures Leadership team

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The twhat?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A ribbon for twits.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just look at that guy's twitter name. Just look at it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
We shall give you open development.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RadioHorizon42/status/927476711905775616
https://twitter.com/RadioHorizon42/status/927496251779796992

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

but is the pixel Blue or Green?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

stimpire muscle torture fetish is IN

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Codezombie posted:

Heh, the amusing thing is, that while premature optimisation is a bad thing, some things are pretty much optimised these days from the get go. Such as defining data structures in a particular way, if possible, to align them for SIMD processing. Its an utter ballache to swizzle them at a later date, so you keep the structure required in mind when you code the system in the first place. (most modern compilers are smart enough to spot the SIMD friendly structure and implement the SIMD code at compile time, saving you the hassle of writing the drat code.)

Which is good as SIMD code can be tricky to read. For Example.
(code below has been changed to protect the innocent, is incomplete and contains pseudo code, but it's effectively part of an audio mixer)

while( some audio samples left to do )
{
int64_t const *dcb0 = reinterpret_cast<int64_t const*>(&db0[idx0]);
int64_t const *dcb1 = reinterpret_cast<int64_t const*>(&db1[idx1]);
__m128 s0 = _mm_castsi128_ps(_mm_set_epi64x(*dcb1, *dcb0));
Vector128 sampling0 = (_mm_shuffle_ps(s0, s1, _MM_SHUFFLE(2, 0, 2, 0)));
c0 = DirectX::XMVectorSubtract(sampling0, sampling1);
sampling0 = DirectX::XMVectorMultiplyAdd(c0, propThough0, sampling0);
buffer[outIndex] = DirectX::XMVectorAdd(sampling0, volumes0);
}

etc...

If you think thats bad, yo should see the whole mixer, I wrote it and have trouble following it as everything is flipped and switched around to speed up processing. However it had to be written like this from the get go, and people asking me to optimise it, get *that* look, as its pretty much optimal as it stands... ;)

Your spaceships jpegs aren't archeredized so none of the above counts. :smugdon:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Let me get this straight, CIG showed of an area they had showed years earlier, and paired it with a procgen city planet that was just the same skyscraper copy pasted a million times. And now PC gaming is saved?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sandweed posted:

Let me get this straight, CIG showed of an area they had showed years earlier, and paired it with a procgen city planet that was just the same skyscraper copy pasted a million times. And now PC gaming is saved?

Yes. Hopefully you are building a powerful system to handle Robert's vision.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes. Hopefully you are building a powerful system to handle Robert's vision.

You should prefer products from intel and facetech

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Next year - FecesOverIP!

Where's that citizen-made gif of Crobbler making GBS threads?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

his nibs posted:

at least the doors are working

:golfclap:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

A guy I went to school with wants to buy a gaming laptop that can run Star Citizen, what should I tell him?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
You know what's fun? Wandering around aimlessly in a procedurally generated landscape with basically no variation, no way of interacting and nothing to do. It's why people love Mine-walk so much.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Toops posted:

*DEEP BREATH IN*

Elite Dangerous is a loving EMBARRASSMENT. What a TERRIBLE loving game. I knew on paper that "The Engineers" dlc would make everything worse, so I refused to play it. Well, for no particular reason I finally did this weekend, and holy gently caress MOLEY did they fudge the bucket. Not even a swing and a miss, not a strikeout, more like the "special" kid standing facing the wrong way at home plate swinging towards the backstop hitting the umpire's face mask off and getting ejected because he's a danger to himself and others. "Playing" Elite loving Dangerous is like swimming around trying to find your girlfriend's toe ring in an olympic sized swimming pool filled to the lip with hot liquid beer poo poo that's been set on fire.

I thought hey! Let's upgrade my Vulture! It's kitted as a fighter, so I started with weapons. Well, how do I start? What do I do? Where should I go? No idea. Game doesn't tell me anything, so I go to the internet and follow some fuckwad's reddit guide. This is the only way to learn any god drat thing about how to play Elite Dangerous, because the people who make it have loving aspberger's, and have no concept of other people, what information is, what knowledge is, and least of all how to transmit it to others. So, bad start.

After I read the dishearteningly shallow and tedious list of things I had to do, I spent the next 10 hours loving FUTZING around looking for randomly spawned "USS's" (which I had to google in a DIFFERENT loving tab only to discover that means "Unidentified Signal Sources") collecting randomly spawned "materials" and "data" the engineer "requires" for the upgrade, or, when that loving failed horribly because most of the "materials" that randomly spawn in the randomly spawned "USS's" are loving USELESS, I searched the internet for ways to scum the game systems to collect said "data" because it was taking too god drat long and flying around waiting for random loving DICE ROLLS of DICE ROLLS ain't my idea of "playing" a "game". Never mind Frontier has still provided NO ACTUAL gently caress REASON to upgrade your ship at all, because once you do, you will left with the same empty mindless NOTHING that is Elite's trademark...

So I finally luck and scum into the bullshit crap I need to get the ultimately useless upgrade I want. I travel back to the engineer, which takes about 15 mins of mindless jumping from star to star and "scooping" of fuel so I don't wind up stranded, although the entire gameplay experience feels like being stranded, so I could have just saved myself some time there. I get to the engineer's system, fart around for another 5 minutes in "super cruise" or "frame shift drive" or whatever those loving turbo spergs decided to call it, another 5 minutes entering the atmosphere and landing. I land. loving BRAVO!! WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!

Kay now here's where it REALLY gets good. I traipse through menus and finally locate the upgrade I want, and wha da ya FUCKIN' know, I can't buy it. Oh, look at that, I failed to see the little "locked, lol gently caress you" icon next to that upgrade among all the clutter and bric-a-brac Frontier calls a UI. I can't get the level 4 one. I can only get the level 1 one. Why? What the gently caress? WHY?? I exclaim. The dog's ears are firmly glued to his head, butt down and he's shaking, and the cat's tail is puffed out. Because even though I wasted my loving life grinding bullshit random drops from bullshit random "areas," I still need to grind "reputation" with this loving dickshit engineer.

So I say gently caress that, NO MORE OF THIS BULLSHIT, and just purchase the level 1 upgrade. Well, it makes my weapons objectively loving worse. They're now loving USELESS, the lasers swing wildly, to and fro like loving Ray Charles except ain't NOBODY got a giant grin on their face, except maybe the guy I'm trying to shoot. My aim is all hosed up, can't hit poo poo. Did I notice that right away? No. Hahaha no, of course not, why, I only learned that after ANOTHER 30 mins of mindless nothing travel and boring AI dogfighting, then almost getting blown to loving smithereens cause my weapons were hosed, and more boring mindless return travel.

In order to "level up" with the engineer, I have to keep buying this engineer's useless loving upgrades I DON'T WANT that make my weapons WORSE, which I can only GET from tooling around the galaxy like a fuckin' IDIOT looking for randomly spawned bullshit within randomly spawned bullshit.

I've never seen better tech wasted on such terrible loving ideas of what a game is. It's like watching a loving elephant paint. Like, good job? You kind of mixed paints and made colors? Still, art doesn't grade on a curve, your painting is horrible, elephant. Elite is a massive turd. A circus of nothing. Cirque de Rien. And if you like Elite, you're a loving moron. Seriously, if you like Elite, go into the bathroom. Go look at yourself in the mirror, and look hard. Right in the eyes. Then hit yourself in the face with a loving dinner plate.

*DEEP BREATH OUT*

Dear Inch Deep style critics, this is how you make me realise a game isn't worth getting. Not by spending 150 millions hours in it and telling me there's not much to it. Also by making me laugh reading it.

Sandweed posted:

A guy I went to school with wants to buy a gaming laptop that can run Star Citizen, what should I tell him?

Tell him you can't run something that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sandweed posted:

Tell him to make sure any laptop he buys uses an Optane SSD, since he would be cheating himself of the full Star Citizen experience otherwise.