Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

speaking of iBooks remember when Apple got sued for a possible monopoly on ebooks

and amazon is all like lol

the lawsuit basically ended any development efforts on iBooks and book selling and just handed the monopoly to amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Laslow posted:

a couple more problems with the x to report. there’s no way to show the battery percent in the top right without swiping down

you don't need to swipe down tho, u can just ask siri :banjo:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
now it's coming out that bluetooth support is entirely broken on ios 11, devices failing to pair properly and the added fun bug of the occasional phone call making the caller hear everything super slowed down

eh, it's not a big deal as long as you plug in your headphones to take a call

lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
my iPhone seven plus forces a contact update on my car's head unit every time I go to a dominos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
loving ios 11.1

my phone's cell modem just shut off or something since last night. wifi worked and i've been home all day, so i didn't notice until i went to make a call. had to switch airplane mode on then off again to get it to reconnect

now i have a bunch of voicemail and text messages show up all of a sudden.

goddammit iphone you had one job

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Laslow posted:

a couple more problems with the x to report. there’s no way to show the battery percent in the top right without swiping down, its completely impossible and the ringtone is different and wrong. fuckin owned over here.

battery percentage checking is one of the more boring neuroses and i'm glad it's dead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

there's new dynamic wallpapers but only on the x

crapple!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

now it's coming out that bluetooth support is entirely broken on ios 11, devices failing to pair properly and the added fun bug of the occasional phone call making the caller hear everything super slowed down

eh, it's not a big deal as long as you plug in your headphones to take a call

lol

bluetooth calling works for me on ios11 mr dog tits.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah idk about 11 and bt being busted i basically have taken a call from car to headset and from headset to another headset (!!!) fine, all while also being connected to a watch and both headsets having other secondary parings to my other stuff

now the 6 hour battery life on my one headset not being enough for one day of meetings is another issue but thats because those meetings suck and run long

since my work phone sucks i use my cell for everything so if this is an issue i havent encountered it in my normal use

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Millstone posted:

my iPhone seven plus forces a contact update on my car's head unit every time I go to a dominos

I would think eating pizza made of pieces of poop and cum would be the more disruptive thing in that scenario.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

speaking of iBooks remember when Apple got sued for a possible monopoly on ebooks

and amazon is all like lol

it wasn't a "possibility" they got caught red handed colluding to raise ebook prices with publishers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

the lawsuit basically ended any development efforts on iBooks and book selling and just handed the monopoly to amazon.

theres also the tiny little detail that ibooks sucked poo poo and reading on an lcd sucks double poo poo.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emoji posted:

I would think eating pizza made of pieces of poop and cum would be the more disruptive thing in that scenario.

you're thinking of papa john's

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shaggar posted:

it wasn't a "possibility" they got caught red handed colluding to raise ebook prices with publishers.

Apple didn’t get caught doing poo poo. They allowed publishers to set their own price, just like they let app developers and movie studios set their own price. They just didn’t expect the publishers to then go and loving collude to fix prices. (Since nobody else on the store was doing that poo poo.) The publishers were the ones who got caught, since they were the ones in the wrong. They finally had a good competitor to Amazon for ebooks and they hosed it all up.

Anyways, actual content: Sikh comic gets an IPhone X and tests it against his less-conventional hair/facial attire. (Sorry about the Facebook link.) https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155855604536419&id=512871418

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stymie posted:

the rightest stymie post ever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Apple didn’t get caught doing poo poo. They allowed publishers to set their own price, just like they let app developers and movie studios set their own price. They just didn’t expect the publishers to then go and loving collude to fix prices. (Since nobody else on the store was doing that poo poo.) The publishers were the ones who got caught, since they were the ones in the wrong. They finally had a good competitor to Amazon for ebooks and they hosed it all up.

Anyways, actual content: Sikh comic gets an IPhone X and tests it against his less-conventional hair/facial attire. (Sorry about the Facebook link.) https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155855604536419&id=512871418

apple promoted the use of apple's platform and services to coordinate the fixing of prices. they didn't say "oh just set whatever price" they said, "here are some tools so you guys can make your prices all the same like we previously discussed"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
steve jobs litterrallly said he didn't like amazons low prices and that he was going to make sure apples prices were higher and that they were all the same.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's the thing about monopolies in the US - you can have one and you can even abuse it to maintain it as long as you make sure it is the producers getting screwed and not the end customers.

Amazon is totally a monopoly on ebooks, but they gently caress the publishers in order to lower prices for consumers so it is a-ok as far as the law is concerned.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
sikh phone, dude

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LanceHunter posted:

not found

what was the gist

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"sure enough, the iface doesn't work if your personal style or facial features differ from a standard white engineer"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LanceHunter posted:

less conventional than what? there's like 22 million sikhs

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Stymie posted:

That one is worse sure but all nationally known pizza chain products are made of bile and pus etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually pizza hut and domineos are very internatioanal

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Agile Vector posted:

thats me and reminders where itll get words wrong so i correct it and it seems to set fine but then i get multiple reminders because each typo correction is a new reminder

i love voice interfaces

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://twitter.com/neonwario/status/927238317208244224

coke
Jul 12, 2009
eh, do we have to get Stymie to tell you off about how you should not poo poo on other people's decisions? especially armchair doctoring with hindsight

also lol @ apple getting owned by samsung in the newest ad on how lovely the iphone line is

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

carry on then posted:

not found

what was the gist

He tried six different ways of wrapping his hair and beard, and no matter what he did Face ID still worked just fine and unlocked his phone.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LanceHunter posted:

He tried six different ways of wrapping his hair and beard, and no matter what he did Face ID still worked just fine and unlocked his phone.

can confirm thats the video and pleasantly surprised with the effectiveness

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i dunno, he didnt change anything inside his face zone.

i need more evidence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

here's the thing about monopolies in the US - you can have one and you can even abuse it to maintain it as long as you make sure it is the producers getting screwed and not the end customers.

Amazon is totally a monopoly on ebooks, but they gently caress the publishers in order to lower prices for consumers so it is a-ok as far as the law is concerned.

the apple lawsuit scared amazon enough to cave to the publishers a while back and while they don't appear to collude on pricing anymore, they aren't having their feet held to the fire by amazon like they were before. so ebook prices are not as bad as what apple wanted, but they're not as good as they were before.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ffs why is iOS still such poo poo when it comes to switching keyboards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ffs why is iOS still such poo poo

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
What exactly was the purpose of the virtual home button on the iPhone 7/8 and then just switching to gestures on the X? Is this just some scheme to increase market share in places where the home buttons were expensive or almost impossible to replace & having a virtual one or no home button at all meant more people would buy iPhones? I once read somewhere that people in China and some markets would use Assistive Touch to avoid putting too much stress on the home button.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What exactly was the purpose of the virtual home button on the iPhone 7/8 and then just switching to gestures on the X? Is this just some scheme to increase market share in places where the home buttons were expensive or almost impossible to replace & having a virtual one or no home button at all meant more people would buy iPhones? I once read somewhere that people in China and some markets would use Assistive Touch to avoid putting too much stress on the home button.

it was for waterproofing

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

carry on then posted:

it was for waterproofing

:rolleyes: you can’t use a touchscreen and subsequently the X’s gestures underwater, buddy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the latter is true, but it is almost certainly a cost measure. a button costs more than not a button. also not a button is more reliable than a button

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

:rolleyes: you can’t use a touchscreen and subsequently the X’s gestures underwater, buddy

that's not what i was talking about you willfully dense piece of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ffs why is iOS still such poo poo when it comes to switching keyboards

the only person doing quality control on ios started letting stuff through around ios 4 and then totally stopped after ios 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fewer moving parts is good, people in china were super weird about it and they had to to the haptic thing for 3d touch anyway so why not