Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Volcott posted:

Someone hasn't seen patrick stewart's erotic cakes sketch.

Probably because they were too busy living in a van down by the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

SNL was always terrible, and the only way people find it bearable is when they cherry pick the three or four funny skits they did over the course of an entire year.

They had a best of SNL special on a few years back and it was horrible. Like skits that didn’t even get more than tepid laughs in the first place. It was like a 30 year special and it was just so poorly chosen I’m not sure what happened. There were two sketches with Louis CK that were just painful

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Volcott posted:

Someone hasn't seen patrick stewart's erotic cakes sketch.

Hey, I said "mostly"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

SpacePig posted:

Nothing was good in the early-mid 90s that did not technically start in the late 80s.

See also: The Simpsons

Counterpoint:

Reboot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Beavis and Butthead, too.

It's too bad that the rights to that show are a Gordian knot. The music video segments should fall under fair use :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

I wouldn't say it's so much a hit:miss ratio regarding talent so much as it is success.
It was an ambiguous sentence, I meant the writing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Counterpoint:

Reboot.

The Critic
Batman Animated Series
Gargoyles (I think)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Animaniacs

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
HUGGBEES!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dTocBQXR05M

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

SNL's writing is pretty hit and miss, but I'm always impressed at their ability to find talent. Mad TV was the same way, but with an even lower hit:miss ratio.

Signing on Key and Peele is one hell of a hit though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never watched Mad TV after the first season or whatever but I remember a big problem they had was overly milking recurring characters. If a character proved popular they would put a sketch with them in just about every episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I never watched Mad TV after the first season or whatever but I remember a big problem they had was overly milking recurring characters. If a character proved popular they would put a sketch with them in just about every episode.
Also all their sketches went on too long.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

londonarbuckle posted:

SNL has always been mostly mediocre and always will be, it is pretty much that way by design.

you mean to tell me that MY DICK IN A BOX is MEDIOCRE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

maskenfreiheit posted:

you mean to tell me that MY DICK IN A BOX is MEDIOCRE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Samberg in his entirety is mediocre. He's not even the top 5 characters in his own show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The think about SNL that will always stick out to me is that it's impossible to find the sketch with Jamie Foxx and Cheri Oteri playing Diddy and J-Lo in couples consouling. I don't even care if I find it funny, I just want to find it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As a kid who could finally stay up late enough to watch snl in the early 90s it was great. I'm crazy egg beater head!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gaunab posted:

The think about SNL that will always stick out to me is that it's impossible to find the sketch with Jamie Foxx and Cheri Oteri playing Diddy and J-Lo in couples consouling. I don't even care if I find it funny, I just want to find it.
I found a transcript, at least:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/99ipuff.phtml

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Being a kid whose not old enough to recognize satire was weird on SNL. Like one old episode had a fake commercial where your Hot Wheels raced around a track, got into accidents, and then caught on fire. It even included an ambulance that'd race off with the horribly burned driver. I wanted that toy.

I have no idea what a 6 year old was doing watching SNL. I know they sometimes replayed episodes in syndication during the day. I also recall the Jogger Motel fake commercial being really really dark.

EDIT: I tried to find the Jamie Foxx skit in the SNL app, but no dice.

However that same episode (1/8/2000) had an episode with Bill Clinton calling Putin to discuss peace in Syria. The more things change...

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 6, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Help I can't stop watching old poorly aged SNL somebody help me ohgodohgod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM

I don't know that this can be said to have aged poorly when OG SNL was all about being as transgressive and tasteless as it possibly could be.

Chevy Chase still sucks, though.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Being a kid whose not old enough to recognize satire was weird on SNL. Like one old episode had a fake commercial where your Hot Wheels raced around a track, got into accidents, and then caught on fire. It even included an ambulance that'd race off with the horribly burned driver. I wanted that toy.

The Meat Wagon!

https://vimeo.com/211400697

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
SNL is weird because the political stuff is so topical that it ends up acting as a time capsule.

Even if you end up needing footnotes and annotations for some of the sketches. For example, the episode hosted by Ford's press secretary Ron Nessen had a sketch about the Supreme Court barging in on a couple in bed. How many people nowadays remember Doe v. Commonwealth's Attorney of Richmond? Even though that was the court case it was satirizing.

But those time capsule sketches like that are so dated that they actually come back around to helping people understand the social and cultural context of an event.

For the record, Doe v. Commonwealth's Attorney of Richmond was a 1976 Supreme Court Case involving Virginia's anti-sodomy laws, which the Supreme Court upheld at the time. It wouldn't be until 2003 with Lawrence v. Texas that anti-sodomy laws would be overturned.

Instant Sunrise has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Nov 6, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.hulu.com/watch/61333

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Help I can't stop watching old poorly aged SNL somebody help me ohgodohgod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM

My favorite The Office joke!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Instant Sunrise posted:

SNL is weird because the political stuff is so topical that it ends up acting as a time capsule.

Even if you end up needing footnotes and annotations for some of the sketches. For example, the episode hosted by Ford's press secretary Ron Nessen had a sketch about the Supreme Court barging in on a couple in bed. How many people nowadays remember Doe v. Commonwealth's Attorney of Richmond? Even though that was the court case it was satirizing.

But those time capsule sketches like that are so dated that they actually come back around to helping people understand the social and cultural context of an event.

For the record, Doe v. Commonwealth's Attorney of Richmond was a 1976 Supreme Court Case involving Virginia's anti-sodomy laws, which the Supreme Court upheld at the time. It wouldn't be until 2003 with Lawrence v. Texas that anti-sodomy laws would be overturned.

I watched the first two seasons on DVD in order, and the setup to that episode was amazing. They basically made fun of Ford for most of the first season, Chevy Chase playing him as a bumbling fool who kept bumping into things. Then they get the actual President to do their "Live from NY it's Saturday Night!" bit (on tape), and his press secretary is their guest host. I keep trying to imagine what that was like for the people who lived through that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly only know SNL had an alien invasion sketch that was basically The Road Not Taken.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also all their sketches went on too long.
There's a sketch from the first season that I loved and have fond memories for but I've been terrified to try and look up again online because I'm afraid it will suffer from this problem. It's the one where Phil LaMarr is a random executive complaining about Bryan Callen's insanely disappointing report.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I watched the first two seasons on DVD in order, and the setup to that episode was amazing. They basically made fun of Ford for most of the first season, Chevy Chase playing him as a bumbling fool who kept bumping into things. Then they get the actual President to do their "Live from NY it's Saturday Night!" bit (on tape), and his press secretary is their guest host. I keep trying to imagine what that was like for the people who lived through that.

The long form gags in the early days were really some of the best. Like the time Lorne Michaels showed up on Weekend Update inviting the Beatles to reunite on the show for a laughably low sum of money (fun fact: Paul McCartney was visiting John Lennon in New York at the time, and they were watching and almost decided to take him up on the offer just for fun) and then a few weeks later George Harrison shows up in a backstage bit talking with Michaels, and apparently expecting the deal to still be good if it's only himself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Choco1980 posted:

The long form gags in the early days were really some of the best. Like the time Lorne Michaels showed up on Weekend Update inviting the Beatles to reunite on the show for a laughably low sum of money (fun fact: Paul McCartney was visiting John Lennon in New York at the time, and they were watching and almost decided to take him up on the offer just for fun) and then a few weeks later George Harrison shows up in a backstage bit talking with Michaels, and apparently expecting the deal to still be good if it's only himself.

Bringing in Paul Simon, introducing himself singing "Still Crazy After All These Years". Then bringing him back next season, around Thanksgiving, in a Turkey suit, singing the same song, until he gets sick of the crowd laughing at him and the cameras follow him as he ragequits backstage.

:discourse:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!"

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It was fuckin' weird, is what. I know that most people here probably know SNL as just this old lovely show that's been around forever and is about as dangerous as a sleep-deprived hamster, but back in its day it really felt like the lunatics were taking over. Best analogue I can think of as to how shocking and fresh it felt is early South Park, though god knows that's a relic and a shell of its former self as well these days.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mostly only know SNL had an alien invasion sketch that was basically The Road Not Taken.

Do you know what year/cast that was?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Mind posted:

Do you know what year/cast that was?

Not in the slightest, it's third-hand knowledge. Similar deal where aliens invade wielding wildly outdated weapons.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZvlZZ0DY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

londonarbuckle posted:

I don't feel like looking it up very hard but there's a pretty striking old Weekend Update bit about the assassination of Harvey Milk that involves showing "footage" of his memorial parade that's actually footage of a Chinese communist march and how to identify which people in the footage are tops and which are bottoms, and it ends with Bill Murray accidentally calling him Harry Milk.

It has not, if I may dare say, aged well

They missed a golden opportunity to say that the milk expired

oldpainless posted:

Norm mcdonalds weekend update was usually the funniest part of the show

I'm pretty sure they cut the one with the vietnamese napalm kids running away and he says something like Woody Allen must be dating again which is a loving riot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm pretty sure they cut the one with the vietnamese napalm kids running away and he says something like Woody Allen must be dating again which is a loving riot.

At this point I'm willing to believe that anytime someone makes a joke about X being a rapist/child abuser, it's actually true and they're saying it in the only way that won't get them sued for slander/libel.

Like with Catholic priests, and now all these Hollywood stars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

At this point I'm willing to believe that anytime someone makes a joke about X being a rapist/child abuser, it's actually true and they're saying it in the only way that won't get them sued for slander/libel.

Like with Catholic priests, and now all these Hollywood stars.

Remember when Madonna - who has obviously never sought to capitalise on religious controversy in her career - said Sinead O'Connor had gone too far by ripping up a photo of the Pope on SNL to protest inaction over child sex abuse in the Catholic church?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

There's a sketch from the first season that I loved and have fond memories for but I've been terrified to try and look up again online because I'm afraid it will suffer from this problem. It's the one where Phil LaMarr is a random executive complaining about Bryan Callen's insanely disappointing report.
If you remember a sketch being good it probably was. When it was good, it was good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Madonna - who has obviously never sought to capitalise on religious controversy in her career - said Sinead O'Connor had gone too far by ripping up a photo of the Pope on SNL to protest inaction over child sex abuse in the Catholic church?

Uh... no...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not only that, Joe Pesci hosted after her and taped the picture back together and made a big speech about it. Yup, the same man that did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHdWyL4va0E

Took a stand against calling out child rapists and the people that protected them.

edit:
And on rewatching it he gets a big cheer when he said he would have hit her if it had been his show. This was 1992.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Nov 7, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That was like early 1990's though, had the Catholic sex scandal even hit mainstream news yet?

I remember thinking it was IRA related or some poo poo. I also remember not being offended because I'm Methodist yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Instant Sunrise posted:

Not TV but very much on the subject of weird time capsules - The Atrocity Exhibition is a JG Ballard book which consists of hosed up short stories, or possibly a coherent, linked narrative, who knows? One of the common themes is a repetitive obsession with particular celebrities - Marilyn Monroe, JFK, etc.

One of the stranger inclusions if Ralph Nader. The book was written in the 70s, so it has absolutely nothing to do with Nader's presidential run - instead he was prominent for his campaigning work around vehicle safety. The book has a bizarre timeline when you remember that. For a long period Nader must have seemed like a complete nobody compared to the other people mentioned, then after that he's once again very famous but for completely different reasons to what Ballard intended.