Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Edit: whoops, nevermind. Only the beam ships can do 5k

I suggest we keep running but increase speed to match them. Unless I remember wrong we can also do 5k.

A few reasons to do this:

1. We keep the distance, obviously. There's no reason for us to get in a fight here now, if we can avoid it.
  2. We show that we are not interested in a fight.
  3. We show our capability. They might be less inclined to fight a stronger enemy.
  4. We learn something about their capability. We already know they have at least 4 armor layers and enough engine to do 5k. They clearly wanted to get closer, so if they can, they probably will increase speed again.

Anta fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
My suggestion: Keep running as fast as we can and do not shoot first, but be ready to shoot back with all available weapons as soon as their first shot is on the way/out.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I think we have to assume that they're hostile, the coming straight at us without acknowledging our hails or even attempting to respond either means they're hostile or so far removed from our own frame of reference as sentients that they may as well be. More importantly though if we let them close to beam range we risk potentially losing the entire squadron in a knife fight because with the exception of the two Azrael destroyers the squadron is entirely defenseless and too slow to outrun them.

Which means there are good odds our ships will be massacred if we wait for them to fire first.

That being the case I would like to propose Plan Alpha.

1) The two Azrael Class Beam destroyers will break with the rest of the squadron and head directly towards the approaching ships at their top speed of 5,000 km/s until they reach maximum range for their beam armament, 300,000km. Once they have reached this range they will reverse course back towards the rest of the squadron at maximum safe speed, effectively keeping the range between themselves and the unknown ships stationary.

2) They will then wait one minute before one ship fires a pair of warning shots from their 30cm and 15cm lasers across the bows of the unknown ships. Making sure to have them miss by a large enough margin that it was clearly deliberate. Leave them a full minute to reduce speed to the squadron's current speed or slower.

3) If the warning shots do not have the desired effect the Azrael's will open fire upon the unknowns whilst again reversing course towards the attackers to bring the range down to either 150,000kms or the commencement of enemy fire, whichever comes first before resuming the previous heading to rendezvous with the rest of the squadron. This should provide the Azrael's 20+ minutes to fire upon the unknowns with their 30cm and 15cm lasers before the unknowns overtake the rest of the squadron. Hopefully long enough to negate the threat they pose.

Edit: Changed slightly to give the unknowns time to actually react to the warning shots.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 6, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Anta posted:

I suggest we keep running but increase speed to match them. Unless I remember wrong we can also do 5k.

A few reasons to do this:

1. We keep the distance, obviously. There's no reason for us to get in a fight here now, if we can avoid it.
  2. We show that we are not interested in a fight.
  3. We show our capability. They might be less inclined to fight a stronger enemy.
  4. We learn something about their capability. We already know they have at least 4 armor layers and enough engine to do 5k. They clearly wanted to get closer, so if they can, they probably will increase speed again.
We can't match their current speed. They're going to be on us in under an hour no matter what we do.

I'm with Bwen's plan. If they chase us down, ignore warning shots, and come into weapons range then we have to assume the worst. If they have close range weapons like plasma or mesons and we let them start shooting at point blank range, we most likely lose the entire squadron.

Fray fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 6, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Yeah Plan BwenGun looks good!

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

BwenGun posted:

I think we have to assume that they're hostile, the coming straight at us without acknowledging our hails or even attempting to respond either means they're hostile or so far removed from our own frame of reference as sentients that they may as well be. More importantly though if we let them close to beam range we risk potentially losing the entire squadron in a knife fight because with the exception of the two Azrael destroyers the squadron is entirely defenseless and too slow to outrun them.

Which means there are good odds our ships will be massacred if we wait for them to fire first.

That being the case I would like to propose Plan Alpha.

1) The two Azrael Class Beam destroyers will break with the rest of the squadron and head directly towards the approaching ships at their top speed of 5,000 km/s until they reach maximum range for their beam armament, 320,000km. Once they have reached this range they will reverse course back towards the rest of the squadron at maximum safe speed, effectively keeping the range between themselves and the unknown ships stationary. They will then fire a pair of warning shots from their 30cm lasers across the bows of the unknown ships.

2) If the warning shots do not have the desired effect the Azrael's will open fire upon the unknowns whilst again reversing course towards the attackers to bring the range down to either 150,000kms or the commencement of enemy fire, whichever comes first before resuming the previous heading to rendezvous with the rest of the squadron. This should provide the Azrael's 20+ minutes to fire upon the unknowns with their 30cm and 15cm lasers before the unknowns overtake the rest of the squadron. Hopefully long enough to negate the threat they pose.

Sounds goood, this gets my vote.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Plan BwenGun

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008
That does sound extremely reasonable, +1 for Plan Bwengun

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

The Azrael class are capable of 5000kps in the nebula

Saros posted:

The Alien ships are just under 2m, km away and have suddenly increased speed to 5000kps.

We can match their current speed.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

We can match their current speed.

The azraels can. The squadron cannot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nevets posted:

Definately DO fire first

Missile don't work in nebulas, right? So any possible confrontation will be decided by beam range & max ship speed. These guys can at least match our speed, maybe exceed it. This means that there are two possiblilties:

They are at least as fast as us & have farther ranged weapons - We're screwed as they can dictate range & fire on us from outside ours.

They are at least as fast as us & have shorter ranged weapons - We have the advantage as long as we start firing at max range & try to maintain it (if possible).

I recommend we continue running away at 3750 kps & broadcasting messages of peace, until they get to our max beam range. The we accelerate & try to maintain range & start shooting.

Close enough

Prefer to kite at max range if we outrange them. Otherwise, we should probably close to minimum range to inflict maximum damage.

Saros' writing has been entertaining throughout, but I'm looking forward to getting back to the shooty bits.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bwen plan good.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 6, 2017

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't agree, don't forget this is their system, not ours. If we come into it and start shooting, warning shots or not (assuming their culture has any concept of "warning") then we are going to get are going to blow pretty much any chance of peaceful contact.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Plan Bwengun sounds good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

BwenGun posted:

I think we have to assume that they're hostile, the coming straight at us without acknowledging our hails or even attempting to respond either means they're hostile or so far removed from our own frame of reference as sentients that they may as well be.

I like the plan, but this is a dumb assumption to make. There are a trillion minor things between evolution and thousands of year of cultural quirks that could explain trying to get close being seen as non-threatening/peaceful, and they might not even recognize our comms as comms - a radio transmission just looks a lot like a weird radar if your culture never invented/doesn't use radios as communications devices. They may be pinging away at us with whatever nebula-friendly/novel alien method of communications they use and we don't even recognize it as communications. Assuming that they're inscrutable xenos who we will never understand because in our roughly 10 minutes of experience they don't use radios isn't much better than saying the same about a deaf person who doesn't use spoken language.

Now, the second they actually shoot at us all bets are off, but let's not start a massive interstellar war with a polity of unknown power because they look vaguely scary.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Let's split the difference, let a sacrificial Destroyer slow to close with them and see if they fire while the rest stand back at laser range. That way if they are packing plasma or mesons we only lose or damage the one before we find out.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

Let's split the difference, let a sacrificial Destroyer slow to close with them and see if they fire while the rest stand back at laser range. That way if they are packing plasma or mesons we only lose or damage the one before we find out.

We’ll just lose that DD, then all the others a little later if we sacrifice half our combat power. So it better be one of the missile boats

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Fray posted:

We’ll just lose that DD, then all the others a little later if we sacrifice half our combat power. So it better be one of the missile boats

Hmm. In the future we might want to make some kind of "first contact" ship or decoy to test if unknowns are hostile or friendly. If such a thing is even possible. A giant space balloon in the shape of a spaceship.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
While I'd prefer to avoid combat at all costs, we also have to do what's best for the men and women in the line of (potential) fire here. Plan Bwengun

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

I like the plan, but this is a dumb assumption to make. There are a trillion minor things between evolution and thousands of year of cultural quirks that could explain trying to get close being seen as non-threatening/peaceful, and they might not even recognize our comms as comms - a radio transmission just looks a lot like a weird radar if your culture never invented/doesn't use radios as communications devices. They may be pinging away at us with whatever nebula-friendly/novel alien method of communications they use and we don't even recognize it as communications. Assuming that they're inscrutable xenos who we will never understand because in our roughly 10 minutes of experience they don't use radios isn't much better than saying the same about a deaf person who doesn't use spoken language.

That's a fair observation, but we did try communication with both radiowaves and laser comms, which are the basic forms of communication through space as far as I can tell. But you may be right, they may be attempting to communicate to us via telepathic messaging, tachyon pulse transmitters, even google hangouts and are having the exact same frustrating experience as we are having with only silence. However if they are you'd expect them to be looking very closely at their sensor readings and trying to pick up anything other info on who or what we are and what threat we pose. At which point I'd assume they'd notice the comm lasers we've been repeatedly shining on their ships like thirteen years old with a laser pointer. Even if they have no experience using laser comms themselves they're smart enough to build TN starships so I'd hope they would recognize it as an attempt at communication and perhaps try and do something similar back in order to let us know they're at least trying to communicate.

Even then we can alter the plan to fire multiple warning shots before actively targeting them, to give them more time to back off without actively harming the ability of the Azrael's to the protect the rest of the squadron.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I am opposed to firing first and to firing any warning shots. If they fire and hit us we had better hit back. For all we know these aliens are space salmon and shooting a laser into the nebula would be shooting their eggs. Or it could ignite volatile pockets of gas or any drat thing.

I would be willing to shoot back with only one laser if they only lightly damaged our armor. It could be that they want to know what sort of weapons we use, to suss out whether or not we wield the same powers that they are hiding from.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

BwenGun posted:

That's a fair observation, but we did try communication with both radiowaves and laser comms, which are the basic forms of communication through space as far as I can tell. But you may be right, they may be attempting to communicate to us via telepathic messaging, tachyon pulse transmitters, even google hangouts and are having the exact same frustrating experience as we are having with only silence. However if they are you'd expect them to be looking very closely at their sensor readings and trying to pick up anything other info on who or what we are and what threat we pose. At which point I'd assume they'd notice the comm lasers we've been repeatedly shining on their ships like thirteen years old with a laser pointer. Even if they have no experience using laser comms themselves they're smart enough to build TN starships so I'd hope they would recognize it as an attempt at communication and perhaps try and do something similar back in order to let us know they're at least trying to communicate.

Even then we can alter the plan to fire multiple warning shots before actively targeting them, to give them more time to back off without actively harming the ability of the Azrael's to the protect the rest of the squadron.

I could agree with your plan but only if it is modified such that the Azraels hold the range without firing until they are 2 minutes from rejoining the slow ships. If nothing has changed and the enemies are still holding speed behind the Azraels then fire some warning shots. Do not fire for effect until the Azraels have rejoined the slow ships.

Like habituallyred said, we don't know how firing will be interpreted. Let's wait until the absolute last second before we do anything violent.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh yeah, I've no major problems with the actual plan, just the assumption that those inscrutable xenos can never be understood. Radios can look like rangefinders or radars, laser comms can look like LIDAR/targeting lasers, there are plenty of reasons why they might not realize we're trying to communicate and vice versa. But the plan you proposed is decent, although even warning shots might be provocative - they were here first, after all, barging into someone's house and shooting at them is kinda bad manners even if you miss on purpose.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

BwenGun posted:

Even then we can alter the plan to fire multiple warning shots before actively targeting them, to give them more time to back off without actively harming the ability of the Azrael's to the protect the rest of the

[quote="BwenGun" post="478128536"]

Well, we know for a fact that they have EM receivers because they’re using radar. Even they don’t typically use it for comms they should surely notice if we start pinging then with the fib sequence or something. At that point they should realize that that’s how we do things.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
If there are any Space Penguin survivors in the Time Tube, they would certainly be looking down at us in disappointment.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
1,000 tons eh?

How do stealth and signal dampeners work in Aurora? I believe I remember the IC had some ships that appeared tiny until we blew up the device that was masking them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I’m curious, is there a goon controlling the Xenos like there was during the previous war?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Don't shoot first, rejoin with the rest of the fleet, keep pinging and sending first-contact messages.

I'm not interested in an unnecessary fight, and if it comes to a fight, I'd rather leverage the full task force's strength if possible. If they fire at us though, we're free to open full fire back upon them.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Not Alex posted:

1,000 tons eh?

How do stealth and signal dampeners work in Aurora? I believe I remember the IC had some ships that appeared tiny until we blew up the device that was masking them.

Percentage reduction of signature. 75% is the earlier cloaking tech, which would mean these ships are actually 4,000 tons (but early cloaking devices are huge and have a high minimum size so probably not that specific case).

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

I could agree with your plan but only if it is modified such that the Azraels hold the range without firing until they are 2 minutes from rejoining the slow ships. If nothing has changed and the enemies are still holding speed behind the Azraels then fire some warning shots. Do not fire for effect until the Azraels have rejoined the slow ships.

Like habituallyred said, we don't know how firing will be interpreted. Let's wait until the absolute last second before we do anything violent.

An acceptable compromise? Giving them more time to back away and also making it more clear that we are firing warning shots rather than just being terrible shots and giving them time to react to us before firing on them:

quote:

1) The two Azrael Class Beam destroyers will break with the rest of the squadron and head directly towards the approaching ships at their top speed of 5,000 km/s until they reach maximum range for their beam armament, 300,000km. Once they have reached this range they will reverse course back towards the rest of the squadron at maximum safe speed, effectively keeping the range between themselves and the unknown ships stationary.

2) They will then wait one minute before one ship fires a pair of warning shots from their 30cm and 15cm lasers across the bows of the unknown ships. Making sure to have them miss by a large enough margin that it was clearly deliberate. Leave them a full minute to reduce speed to the squadron's current speed or slower.

3) If the warning shots do not have the desired effect the Azrael's will open fire upon the unknowns whilst again reversing course towards the attackers to bring the range down to either 150,000kms or the commencement of enemy fire, whichever comes first before resuming the previous heading to rendezvous with the rest of the squadron. This should provide the Azrael's 20+ minutes to fire upon the unknowns with their 30cm and 15cm lasers before the unknowns overtake the rest of the squadron. Hopefully long enough to negate the threat they pose.

An acceptable compromise? Giving them more time to back away and also making it more clear that we are firing warning shots rather than just being terrible shots and giving them time to react to us before firing on them.

Rorac posted:

Don't shoot first, rejoin with the rest of the fleet, keep pinging and sending first-contact messages.

I'm not interested in an unnecessary fight, and if it comes to a fight, I'd rather leverage the full task force's strength if possible. If they fire at us though, we're free to open full fire back upon them.

They will overtake us in 26 or so minutes, there is no time to get back to the rest of the fleet.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 6, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm probably being hard-headed, but I can't agree with a plan that involves us shooting first, even warning shots. We might be starting an interstellar war with those, and after that lots of ships will get blown up and lots of people will die.

This is what I propose:

Split off a single slow ship and let her fall behind the rest of the task force, going at a slower speed, allowing the aliens to catch up. All the while keep broadcasting peaceful messages.

After that, split off the Azraels. The rest of the task force will continue for the main fleet, while the Azraels will stay behind and see what happens to the ship.

Now, what happens next depends on what the aliens do:

a - If the aliens open fire, the Azraels close with the aliens to maximum weapons range, then open up on them; they then turn around, keeping the distance while firing, and book it at max speed towards the main fleet.

b - If the aliens don't open fire, congrats! We have a successful and peaceful first contact.

I agree that with this plan we risk three ships, but this is in my opinion the best chance to make a good first impression.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 6, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mikl posted:

I agree that with this plan we risk a destroyer and all the loyal men and women who are heroically serving Mars among the stars in addition to the Azraels, but this is in my opinion the best chance to make a good first impression.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

If we blow up our first contact (pardon the pun), countless more will die than those aboard the three ships.

I'm not in that task force (or at least, I don't think I am?), else I would volunteer to be the one whose ship stays behind.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Mikl posted:

I'm probably being hard-headed, but I can't agree with a plan that involves us shooting first, even warning shots. We might be starting an interstellar war with those, and after that lots of ships will get blown up and lots of people will die.

This is what I propose:

Split off a single slow ship and let her fall behind the rest of the task force, going at a slower speed, allowing the aliens to catch up. All the while keep broadcasting peaceful messages.

After that, split off the Azraels. The rest of the task force will continue for the main fleet, while the Azraels will stay behind and see what happens to the ship.

Now, what happens next depends on what the aliens do:

a - If the aliens open fire, the Azraels close with the aliens to maximum weapons range, then open up on them; they then turn around, keeping the distance while firing, and book it at max speed towards the main fleet.

b - If the aliens don't open fire, congrats! We have a successful and peaceful first contact.

I agree that with this plan we risk three ships, but this is in my opinion the best chance to make a good first impression.

No, if we're letting them catch us we need to do it with the entire squadron. If they attack we still stand a good chance of surviving the encounter. If they don't, fine and good.

At this point the rest of the squadron are effectively ablative armor for the Azraels, which have our only weapons. So don't leave a third of that hanging. And that's without even going into the morality of sacrificing people and ships like that.

E: hell, if we're doing this then it's better to just come to a full stop, at least that sends some kind of message to them

Our slow ships are completely reliant on the Azraels, to the extent that I would say we should change our nebula doctrine. Treat the missile destroyers and all the other ships that don't have nebula-capable weapons or that can't keep up with the Azraels like the support ships. Just leave them in the rear.

Anta fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 6, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Just to avoid any confusion about who and what, here is the OOB and stats for the 1st Destroyer Squadron.

Don't forget sensor ranges are halved and speed is limited to 1250kps per armor layer.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Do not fire first under any circumstance, even warning shots. Just detach the DE and send it towards them and see what happens. For heaven's sake, goons would approve bursting into someone's house and shooting their dog as "reasonable" if someone attached enough scifi RP to it. You form the exploratory fleet, you assume the risk that one of your ships blow up because of a misunderstanding.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
accidental double post

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Anta posted:

No, if we're letting them catch us we need to do it with the entire squadron. If they attack we still stand a good chance of surviving the encounter. If they don't, fine and good.

At this point the rest of the squadron are effectively ablative armor for the Azraels, which have our only weapons. So don't leave a third of that hanging. And that's without even going into the morality of sacrificing people and ships like that.

E: hell, if we're doing this then it's better to just come to a full stop, at least that sends some kind of message to them

Our slow ships are completely reliant on the Azraels, to the extent that I would say we should change our nebula doctrine. Treat the missile destroyers and all the other ships that don't have nebula-capable weapons or that can't keep up with the Azraels like the support ships. Just leave them in the rear.

We wouldn't be sacrificing people and ships, since we don't know if they're going to get fired upon; personally I don't think so, I would never send someone to their certain death. I cannot 100% guarantee they won't get shot at, of course. But considering that some of our ships can't outpace the aliens, sooner or later they will get into weapons range, and I'd very much prefer for it to be on our terms, and I'd like to send a message. Stopping a ship and letting them approach says "we want to talk, let's get to know each other."

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm onboard with Bwengun B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

BwenGun posted:

They will overtake us in 26 or so minutes, there is no time to get back to the rest of the fleet.

Can we signal to get at least the other destroyer squadron to get to us? If there's a fight and it turns out bad for us, I'd like some reinforcements.