Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
That voice cracks me up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:rip: :gary:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

thatguy posted:

How did Chris take award-winning animators and an award-winning actor and produce this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk&t=45s

maybe it's the stoli talking but i know right?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

holy poo poo

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
lol could you imagine if they fail to deliver the VFX in time to whatever movie studio it was? imagine all the refactoring and “make that pixel blue” micro management from chris on something they actually have to deliver on a set date. omg so perfect.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

You're the only one who appreciates my genius.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Honestly, I'm fuckin' proud of you, Chris. You aimed for the stars, missed horribly, and landed in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Got an idea? Just loving do it. Find a way. Make it work. Always do, even if you're a complete gently caress up. The universe loves action, it needs juice, and as long as you just show up and try, you win. Get off the loving internet. Stop watching the loving TV. Don't play video games, they're all just poo poo designed to keep you off the playing field. And NEVER let that nagging fuckster in the back of your mind tell you you're gonna fail.

Chris Roberts wins at life. He laughs all the way to the mobile banking app on his phone to check his auto-regenerating bank account balance. Scummy? Oh what the gently caress ever. He played by the written rules and that's all that matters. Bad person? I don't know him, but he pays for his wife's movie dreams and gives all his friends jobs, and that's a hell of a lot more than most of us. Immoral? Didn't know you were runing the books on that one. And I'll tell you what. It's immoral to let people as stupid as Star Citizens, with their loving cringecore stunted bullshit fantasies, keep their money. Who the gently caress would wanna make a game for that lot of losers anyway?

gently caress em. gently caress you. And gently caress me.

Chris Roberts is a genius, and he deserves to enjoy his Porches, because god dammit, at least he got up off his rear end and tried.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You're the only one who appreciates my genius.

It was a good comic. i would pat you on the back but we are on the internet and if you were close enough to actually do it it would be very creepy for both of us

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Toops posted:

Honestly, I'm fuckin' proud of you, Chris. You aimed for the stars, missed horribly, and landed in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Got an idea? Just loving do it. Find a way. Make it work. Always do, even if you're a complete gently caress up. The universe loves action, it needs juice, and as long as you just show up and try, you win. Get off the loving internet. Stop watching the loving TV. Don't play video games, they're all just poo poo designed to keep you off the playing field. And NEVER let that nagging fuckster in the back of your mind tell you you're gonna fail.

Chris Roberts wins at life. He laughs all the way to the mobile banking app on his phone to check his auto-regenerating bank account balance. Scummy? Oh what the gently caress ever. He played by the written rules and that's all that matters. Bad person? I don't know him, but he pays for his wife's movie dreams and gives all his friends jobs, and that's a hell of a lot more than most of us. Immoral? Didn't know you were runing the books on that one. And I'll tell you what. It's immoral to let people as stupid as Star Citizens, with their loving cringecore stunted bullshit fantasies, keep their money. Who the gently caress would wanna make a game for that lot of losers anyway?

Chris Roberts is a genius, and he deserves to enjoy his Porches, because god dammit, at least he got up off his rear end and tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwlhHdhOcc

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
:laffo:

Now SC is double the (door) pleasure.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/927726286482448384

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You know how they have two doors? Your retarded designers put them on there. This poo poo ain't magic

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

DOORS! :argh:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

I am loving FULLY TORQUED

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Once you figure it out, apply that to the Khartu-al scout so it can have two seats.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Toops posted:

I am loving FULLY TORQUED

Carefull where all that Torque could end up at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ln3VuvQBWg&t=90s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'm, I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

What triggered your meltdown today? Just curious.

I was playing Stellaris and one of my admirals got a random gen name by the name of Momath, part of one of the name pack mods

After sending him to fight the Contingency alone in the most technologically advanced corvette that dreams could pledge for, I came to shitpost about it, but forgot to include the source material for said shitpost until you now reminded me.

That you for your efforts in aiding the "gently caress off MoMA, you smug oval office" initiative.

I don't actually hate you MoMA, I just think the posters in this thread have invested too much time in attempting to rehabilitate you back to reality. No matter how hard the good effort posters of the thread appeal to literally any part of knowledge or reason, or how little SC develops, you get part way to the truth, "I feel grief" and then you double down and do what only literally insane people are capable of and "believe harder".

Have you eaten your belt yet MoMA?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Is it gross incompetence? I'm going with gross incompetence.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Derek, video of 63 people clinging to the side of your carrier like spiders young in real time when?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

drat it seems all the poo poo pieces are falling together into one big poo poo pile.... a poo poo puzzle if you will

If Cubic Motion is doing all the mocap cleanup, most of the art is offshored to chinese contractors, and the web and IT stuff is taken care of by another contractor, what in the flying gently caress does CIG as a company actually do?

I guess it's basically a vessel to take in money, dispense it to other companies, and give the rest to Chris and his exec's for showing up a few hours a week

Pretty sweet setup if you ask me

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

The Agent only continues to post rumours to work over the /r/ds marks. They've been bullshit forever but people keep treating them like a legit source, so why stop?
I mean I just tend to post whatever poo poo I heard/read, and a lot of it evaporated

but some of it has been spot on, especially the January leak about 3.0 in 2018 (the same guy who said the scope of the game has decreased)

derek don't even tweet me out no more, so the r/ds guys don't even care about me

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

If that's really what it were, they wouldn't have people working the mines 12 hours a day/70 hours a week for years to keep up appearances-- too wasteful of company money that's unrightfully yours. I'm pretty sure Crobber an, earnest, lucky fool. Who, if he had any competition or oversight, would be a fall guy or scapegoat... And if Sandy or Ortwin have the slightest foresight, may well still be.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the great thing about unpaid overtime, is that its unpaid overtime

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Combat Theory posted:

Carefull where all that Torque could end up at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ln3VuvQBWg&t=90s

That video is my wikipedia bio section.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Toops posted:

Sickening but true.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Roflan posted:

If that's really what it were, they wouldn't have people working the mines 12 hours a day/70 hours a week for years to keep up appearances-- too wasteful of company money that's unrightfully yours. I'm pretty sure Crobber an, earnest, lucky fool. Who, if he had any competition or oversight, would be a fall guy or scapegoat... And if Sandy or Ortwin have the slightest foresight, may well still be.

Roberts is a born leader. He has natural charisma, the evidence is right there for all to see. He has followers wherever he goes.

Unfortunately, he's an imbecile, and is rarely, if ever, right. Well, thems the breaks.

"There are remarkable people alive today, but I don't think they're being allowed to compete with fatuous, attention-grabbing personalities" - Richard Feynman

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't understand where people see charisma in anything that mush mouthed idiot says

As badly as he stumbles on his words and sounds shifty as gently caress I wouldn't follow him to a local diner on a meal recommendation let alone invest money into his bullshit

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I dunno maybe there's something other people see we don't.

I think this success is more about nostalgia gamers and the early hype of crowd funding. I don't think he could make one-tenth the money if he'd started at any other time, it really needed that big momentum to spark a space ship jpeg cult.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

I mean I just tend to post whatever poo poo I heard/read, and a lot of it evaporated

but some of it has been spot on, especially the January leak about 3.0 in 2018 (the same guy who said the scope of the game has decreased)

derek don't even tweet me out no more, so the r/ds guys don't even care about me

Have most of the people you know who work there quit at this point or is everything so bogged down that there's literally nothing new to leak?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

Today's accounting error/mistake is the final one. It builds on the ones that were previously highlighted but this is actually more a series of deliberate decisions. I'm struggling to find a generously innocuous word that conveys making deliberate decisions that are possibly not correct.

4.) Prior year adjustments.

At some point a set of accounts will be filed that are incorrect. Humans can make mistakes. I'll give an example. Say in 2015 a client paid you in cash for £1000 and you accidentally lost the sales receipt and accidentally banked the money in your personal bank account instead of the company bank account. Later on in 2016, the client asks for a receipt and this helps you remember this event. You're now faced with three options.
(i) You could file an amended set of accounts for 2015 that makes corrections. This seems intuitive and I'm sure textbooks and "experts" online will tell you this is the right thing to do. No one ever files amended accounts. To be honest I'm not entirely sure why, but it doesn't happen.
(ii) You can "do nothing". This doesn't really mean you do nothing. It means when you file the 2016 accounts, you add on those £1000 sales that were really in 2015 and you pay the company back the cash from your personal account. So now the company is declaring that missing income, albeit in the wrong period.
(iii) You make a prior year adjustment to the 2015 figures in the comparative when you compile the 2016 accounts. You disclose all of these items and you can file an amended tax return, without adjusting the 2015 accounts themselves.

The UK CIG group were faced with such a situation. Here is the disclosure in the Foundry 42 Ltd accounts that explains the decision:

So the original turnover amount was £15,169,773 and it was adjusted to be £12,737,713. A reduction in turnover of £2,432,060. This means they also had to add £2,432,060 to the balance sheet, as a liability. Since they now owed Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd that amount. You can see they did all this correct (since they were owed £83,979 separately, this is netted off against this amount due to CIG UK).

So far this is all correct from an accounting angle. However, the UK group of companies are all irrevocably linked. Because of the way the accounts were filed, we have access to the individual filings for 2015 but not the group accounts. In 2016 we have the accounts for Foundry 42, RSI and the group accounts (but not the individual accounts for the CIG company). We can pretty much recreate the missing sets of accounts.

Here is a summary of the 2015 accounts, as they were originally filed. It should be noted that the linked green items, do not appear in the group accounts. These inter-company transactions cancel each other.

Here is an extract from the 2016 consolidated group accounts. Note the profit for the year 2015 shown as £1,088,498.

So the group profit in my summary differs from the 2015 group profit that is disclosed in the 2016 accounts by £2,432,060. Now we know what that is, it's that prior year adjustment. But nowhere in the 2016 group accounts is any prior-year adjustment disclosed. What is disclosed is that the CIG company profit was the same as filed in 2015 at £265,299 profit.

So now we have a big problem. How can we adjust the summary of the 2015 accounts to correct for this prior-year adjustment. Remember all the linked boxes in my summary that can't be changed individually? If we are reducing Foundry 42s turnover figure by £2,432,060 we also have to reduce CIGs cost of sales by £2,432,060 since that is where the turnover came from. We know that CIG (the company) profit stayed the same though, so we know we have to reduce CIGs turnover, also by £2,432,060. So now we also need to reduce RSIs cost of sales by £2,432,060. All good so far. We know that that RSIs profit remains zero also, because we know the groups profit so we also have to reduce their turnover by £2,432,060 however this goes outside the UK group because this is a refund to Roberts Space Industries Corporation, in the USA. So this is going to be an amount in dollars, so it may not match exactly and we have to rely on the accountants to get this right.

We arrive at a new summary, something like this. Bolded numbers are the figures that have been adjusted:

For some reason, they changed the cost of sales in RSI by adding £239,986 to the costs. I've noted it down as a suspense amount because we have no idea why they did this. So to maintain a zero profit, we need to counter this by adding £239,986 to their revenue. This seems like a leap of faith but our summary now matches the group accounts exactly.

So now the group accounts match our summary there are some implications to this. The UK group derives all its income from RSI International Ltd, which derives all its income from the USA company RSI Corporation. Now we can solve why the 2015 turnover figures don't match and the 2016 ones do match. Note the figure does match our summary for RSI, that we have recreated with our own turnover figure by deduction from the group accounts.

We sort of have to now conclude that there must be two different sets of RSI accounts for them to get this "correct" in the group accounts. The RSI accounts that were filed were never corrected for any prior-year adjustment and yet, there must exist a set of RSI accounts that have been corrected in order to get a set of group accounts that is accurate.

The implications here are decidedly tricky. Back in 2015 the US companies would have presumably filed accounts and tax returns to US authories that claimed a dollar amount of expenses equal to £15.3m. Any audits done at this time, would have confirmation letters and invoices for these amounts. As far as audit trails for this £2.4m refund that would have gone back to the United States, well I hope I have demonstrated that this trail is really unclear for anyone that might investigate it. If it were accidentally paid to the wrong entity and then never declared, there would not be any trail.

So the corrections were handled appropriately in the Foundry 42 Ltd accounts. Adjustments were made and disclosures for those adjustments. They used option (iii) from my opening statement. The CIG accounts are slightly trickier, since we have the company accounts for 2015 and the group accounts for 2016 but we can safely say that some adjustments were made but absolutely no disclosures at all. That is sort of an incorrectly implented option (iii) from my opening statement. The RSI accounts have not had any adjustments made and therefore no disclosures and we have some pretty firm suspicions that there may in fact be two different sets of RSI accounts and they are certainly aware that the filed RSI accounts do not match the RSI accounts used for the consolidation of the group accounts that were filed. So it turns out that there was a hidden fourth option that you will not find in any text books and Chris Roberts has developed new solutions to problems and a way to make money apparently disappear.

I can only imagine the state of the dozen or so American companies that are open to zero public scrutiny.

Unrelated hypothetical paragraph
Imagine your company is sitting on £2.4m in the bank that it should not have, that should be refunded to another company in another country. However, in that country, that company does not know it's due any money from years ago. It was all audited and balances confirmed at that time and it's not asking or expecting any money. However, this company with the money in the bank has to get rid of it to make its books balance, it sure should go to the right place and I'm sure anyone would make certain that the right people get this £2.4m.

So as a disclaimer I should stress that I am in no way suggesting that anything unlawful was actually done here. I guess this highlights the "perils" of having multiple shell companies with regard to nice clean audit trails.

Good post

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Spiderdrake posted:

I dunno maybe there's something other people see we don't.

I think this success is more about nostalgia gamers and the early hype of crowd funding. I don't think he could make one-tenth the money if he'd started at any other time, it really needed that big momentum to spark a space ship jpeg cult.

Honestly i think the truth of it is in the posts of backers and whales - which has been a consistent message of 'because gently caress modern games' for several years.

That is reflected in Chris's consistent messages of 'see how game X does it? Well we won't do it like that'

That's the thing that has carried the funding this far whether anyone agrees with it or not. Personally I think there has been a startling lack of innovation from AAA studio game designs over the last 10 years and Chris Roberts happened to latch on to a desire for something truly innovative.

I don't think there is an economic incentive for these big publishers to take risks with game design.

The rights and wrongs of it all can be argued but I firmly believe that's the central pillar of belief holding up the project and the funding. I see 1 or 2 posts a week basically saying this, and there's enough truth to it for CIG to build all of their marketing on it.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

TheAgent posted:

imagine putting in, say, $300,000 into a film to ensure you got at least 10 speaking lines in or roughly 90 seconds of screentime, only to find our your entire scene had been cut and that the movie is a tremendous failure and will, without a doubt, net an extreme loss even after the streaming and tv rights are sold

so your 300k is just gone but that's okay since the company kicked in for it anyway but goddamn are you pissed about not seeing yourself on the big screen

Was it this POS movie or a youtube project(that went exactly nowhere) where the cast were reading lines of the script at the CiG offices because both are lol but the former is just a bit funnier.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

The Amazon payment thing is very unlikely, I'd suspect better support access and maybe a little something for attending twitch events. The $300k for the movie is bullshit considering what happened with "Gemini 42 Entertainment", they aren't likely to be so blatant.

The paid VFX work thing, also bullshit, no way the name of the company involved or the project wouldn't immediately leak too. I also suspect Cubic Motion aren't that heavily involved with CIG anymore as, most of the time, CIG can't keep a subcontractor that long without a major fallout.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Fun fact: If you squeeze ortwin you get oil

I don't think we need snake oil for anything at the moment, though

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Attention thread: this is pgabz irl:

:eyepop:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
How will teledildonics be incorporated into the final product?

Pleasure stimulation should be part of the immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/923978302120972288

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/927740990026371074