Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be your champions come Sunday Morning?
This poll is closed.
Bisping/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 51 29.82%
Bisping/Garbrandt/Namajunas 8 4.68%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 16 9.36%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Namajunas 3 1.75%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Namajunas 12 7.02%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 62 36.26%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Namajunas 6 3.51%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 13 7.60%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

If this is true then it's probably just the UFC servers being compromised which wouldn't be surprising unfortunately
No it's the parent company doing literally everything they can to pay their loans back.

Nierbo posted:

Like every single one of those reports about a website installing bitcoin miners, its usually either an advertiser doing so without their permission or a security breach.
It doesn't install it - it runs the Javascript in your browser while you have a UFC tab open. With how crummy their XBox app performs with such a minimal UI I wouldn't be surprised if it's in there too.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh good, I had really missed people crying about WME and debt

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Oh good, I had really missed people crying about WME and debt

Hopefully we can get this over with quickly so we can have discussions about which fighters jack their hogs the best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kensei posted:

A. Pettis, Bendo, Cruz and Cerrone were all on the Main Card of WEC 53. What a magical card that was.

I do feel sympathy for the Pride never die fans. There's been multiple WEC imports as champions and top contenders (that's actually where Chael came from) and there continue to be, even 7 years afterwards. And it seems like that's really what they expected to happen when Pride was folded.

Memento posted:

Yeah that's Yoel Romero.

Although moving to Middle seems to have been the magic Bullet for Bobby Knuckles

I was thinking of Hendo losing to Shields, but that's also a fine answer.

Bundt Cake posted:

Yeah I kinda doubt he improved that much at wrestling

I hope you asked Keven permission to use his gimmick of saying insane, wrong things.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Captain Log posted:

Hopefully we can get this over with quickly so we can have discussions about which fighters jack their hogs the best.

GSPs hog heralded his victorious return

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

No it's the parent company doing literally everything they can to pay their loans back.

Lmao yeah. That’s what they’re doin

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

I do feel sympathy for the Pride never die fans. There's been multiple WEC imports as champions and top contenders (that's actually where Chael came from) and there continue to be, even 7 years afterwards. And it seems like that's really what they expected to happen when Pride was folded.

I was thinking of Hendo losing to Shields, but that's also a fine answer.

I hope you asked Keven permission to use his gimmick of saying insane, wrong things.

isn't there some video game you could be making long bad posts about instead

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

Nope , using common sense to say yeah this guy probably didn't make up the difference of skill and size with Dominick Cruz, cuz theres only a little reason to think his wrestling is better, and a real big reason to think his body is still built to fight at 125

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I thought they were paying their debt by monetizing racism and misogyny.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Snowman_McK posted:

Shogun
Rampage
Big Nog*
Anderson Silva

Plus UFC>Pride>UFC...
Coleman
Barnett
Wanderlei (lol)
Dan Henderson
Nick Diaz

???

Edit - VVVVVV Yeah, you'll hear no arguments there.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 7, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gomi was bad in UFC though and that was depressing.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
aurelio already choked out gomi; he was already depressing

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

MassRafTer posted:

Gomi was bad in UFC though and that was depressing.

His last championship is now old enough to drive. Gomi is a special kind of fighter.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
august 26th should here forth be a day of mourning, marking the day pride finally died, with the lineal belt getting wrapped around the waist of floyd mayweather

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MysteryNad posted:

august 26th should here forth be a day of mourning, marking the day pride finally died, with the lineal belt getting wrapped around the waist of floyd mayweather

lol

Fun MMAth fact: I wasn't sure if you got to this result by going through Gomi's first UFC fight to Florian or by going through his loss to Sergey Golaev, so I double checked it and it turns out both paths lead to McGregor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

Nope , using common sense to say yeah this guy probably didn't make up the difference of skill and size with Dominick Cruz, cuz theres only a little reason to think his wrestling is better, and a real big reason to think his body is still built to fight at 125

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. You're using common sense to determine that a guy who has, since the Pickett fight, consistently outwrestled the top tier of two divisions (short of the bantamweight champion, who no one else has managed to out wrestle either) hasn't improved? In seven years?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Shogun
Rampage
Big Nog*
Anderson Silva

Plus UFC>Pride>UFC...
Coleman
Barnett
Wanderlei (lol)
Dan Henderson
Nick Diaz

???

Edit - VVVVVV Yeah, you'll hear no arguments there.

Three champs and 1 successful title defence between them is a bit short of a takeover. The majority of Pride imports flamed out quickly. A good chunk of them struggled to even have winning records in the UFC. One of the people you named lost to Ryan Bader and another got finished by Travis Browne. The merger was underwhelming for those expecting the Pride guys to come over and dominate.

Also, Anderson Silva wasn't a Pride import. He fought there about the same number he competed in Cage Rage, the organisation the UFC brought him in from. And even if you will him into being a Pride fighter, that's one.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The only fighter from pride that mattered broke Akiyama's face and publicly chastised him, had 2 of the best fights ever, then out struck Paul Daley and retired because a pop singer told him to. That's a more important legacy than any championship

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The only fighter from pride that I give a poo poo about is barred from fighting outside Brazil ever again by a massive airline conspiracy known as "No Shirt No Service"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ad by Khad posted:

The only fighter from pride that I give a poo poo about is barred from fighting outside Brazil ever again by a massive airline conspiracy known as "No Shirt No Service"

.... Faber?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
IMO the lasting legacy of pride's death is the end of smoke and mirrors bullshit matchmaking where one guy gets 3 months notice and the other gets 2 weeks, and the squeeze on talent availability/the end of the bizarre feudal system of power brokers making the follow-up promotions book Koreans

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wanderlei, Rampage, Shogun and Crocop are all cool for different reasons and the ones who went of the deep end did so in an entertaining manner

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

arona, though i think the main prison for him was not giving enough of a gently caress to leave his parents' sybaritic beach houses where he fucks his many girlfriends and occasionally hides cuban boxing teams.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I forget if it was after the Rampage or Shogun KO but I always found it darkly funny when the ref pulled out Arona's mouthpiece and he yells "what?" then gets informed he got knocked out and says "oh, ok"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. You're using common sense to determine that a guy who has, since the Pickett fight, consistently outwrestled the top tier of two divisions (short of the bantamweight champion, who no one else has managed to out wrestle either) hasn't improved? In seven years?

I dont think you ever knew cuz my point was I thought tj was probably a better match up for mj than cruz

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

I dont think you ever knew cuz my point was I thought tj was probably a better match up for mj than cruz

You might try saying that outright instead of making a bunch of patently ridiculous statements like DJ's wrestling hasn't gotten better.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I always liked the video of a dude swinging for Arona at a grappling match and his instinctive reaction to someone punching him was to stand bolt upright, drop his hands and expose his chin.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Disgusting Coward posted:

I always liked the video of a dude swinging for Arona at a grappling match and his instinctive reaction to someone punching him was to stand bolt upright, drop his hands and expose his chin.

the man has outstanding posture

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MysteryNad posted:

o gently caress that owns

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You might try saying that outright instead of making a bunch of patently ridiculous statements like DJ's wrestling hasn't gotten better.

I did

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Its not ridiculous either. Wrestlings hard to improve compared to the amount of time wrestlers put into it on the amateur level. You guys can keep pretending I think stuff outside the context of the conversation, and I expect you to, because you're stupid

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I haven't posted in these threads in ages because I kind of fell out of watching UFC for various reasons- the WME deal, inflated number of cards, my favorites retiring etc. But, I just wanna say UFC 217 was absolutely awesome and reminded me of when I was a big fan ~3-5 years ago. GSP was what got me into watching MMA and my stupid unrelenting belief in his ability to come back after four years a still be a top class fighter being verified was a feel good moment. Watching such a great card with a bunch of people was awesome. I don't know if I'll pick up watching much again because the card dilution is still a big issue with me but I guess all I want to say is 217 was great. Sorry for typing up this earnest non-ironic word salad in the UFC thread.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I haven't posted in these threads in ages because I kind of fell out of watching UFC for various reasons- the WME deal, inflated number of cards, my favorites retiring etc. But, I just wanna say UFC 217 was absolutely awesome and reminded me of when I was a big fan ~3-5 years ago. GSP was what got me into watching MMA and my stupid unrelenting belief in his ability to come back after four years a still be a top class fighter being verified was a feel good moment. Watching such a great card with a bunch of people was awesome. I don't know if I'll pick up watching much again because the card dilution is still a big issue with me but I guess all I want to say is 217 was great. Sorry for typing up this earnest non-ironic word salad in the UFC thread.

DJ killed a man named Bort recently

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seltzer posted:

It's still easy to just watch the PPVs with people you know on them, you don't have to watch fight nights headlined by Artem Lobov

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I'm excited that thr UFC is finally coming to St Louis but its a Sunday Fight Night so it is probably gon a be a real bad card.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Its not ridiculous either. Wrestlings hard to improve compared to the amount of time wrestlers put into it on the amateur level. You guys can keep pretending I think stuff outside the context of the conversation, and I expect you to, because you're stupid

It's ridiculous because you're ignoring everything he has done in the last 6 years to argue your point with literally zero evidence supporting it. DJ went from being taken down and controlled by Ian McCall to manhandling an Olympic gold medalist in the clinch and being the only guy to take down John Dodson in the UFC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's ridiculous because you're ignoring everything he has done in the last 6 years to argue your point with literally zero evidence supporting it. DJ went from being taken down and controlled by Ian McCall to manhandling an Olympic gold medalist in the clinch and being the only guy to take down John Dodson in the UFC.

The fight against McCall happened after an extremely bad weight cut and the rematch basically showed it was a weird fluke, let's not try to take anything from it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Could you please at least tell me what you think I said

Quote it

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 7, 2017

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
bundt cake is correct but I am not going to waste my time arguing that for the benefit of the world's most tedious morons

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If only Fatherdog were here to do a venomous top-to-bottom quote-by-quote post analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I always preferred the quick 'call em a moron and move on' style .

• Locked thread