Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
My first playthrough of Divinity OS2 was 176 hours... I like to stop and smell the roses.

That's 176 more hours of content than Star Citizen has.

BluesShaman fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Honestly, I'm fuckin' proud of you, Chris. You aimed for the stars, missed horribly, and landed in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Got an idea? Just loving do it. Find a way. Make it work. Always do, even if you're a complete gently caress up. The universe loves action, it needs juice, and as long as you just show up and try, you win. Get off the loving internet. Stop watching the loving TV. Don't play video games, they're all just poo poo designed to keep you off the playing field. And NEVER let that nagging fuckster in the back of your mind tell you you're gonna fail.

Chris Roberts wins at life. He laughs all the way to the mobile banking app on his phone to check his auto-regenerating bank account balance. Scummy? Oh what the gently caress ever. He played by the written rules and that's all that matters. Bad person? I don't know him, but he pays for his wife's movie dreams and gives all his friends jobs, and that's a hell of a lot more than most of us. Immoral? Didn't know you were runing the books on that one. And I'll tell you what. It's immoral to let people as stupid as Star Citizens, with their loving cringecore stunted bullshit fantasies, keep their money. Who the gently caress would wanna make a game for that lot of losers anyway?

gently caress em. gently caress you. And gently caress me.

Chris Roberts is a genius, and he deserves to enjoy his Porches, because god dammit, at least he got up off his rear end and tried.

Are you ok, commando?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Bofast posted:

Are you ok, commando?

#ISTANDWITHTOOPSIE

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 7, 2017

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Tokamak posted:

They're a facial animation contractor that CIG have been funnelling money to since forever. They're basically one of their 'big' contractors along with Turbulent and 3Lateral.

Pretty much. The contractors that are making the "never done before" high fidelity performance capture also do performance capture for other games. Cause, you know, they're contractors.

They might be the company that CIG hired the equipment off to do the original mocap sessions with, you know, the sessions where I heard they were unable to turn on / record the facial data from, but did'nt bother to tell the A list actors that this was the case.

Cubic Motion themselves predate CIG, and were set up around 2009.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

As so often with these citizen tweets, I just can't help asking myself if they understand what they're actually saying and how insanely negative their apparent cheering really is, or if they think that their most recent comparison is somehow positive in some fantasy universe.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't understand where people see charisma in anything that mush mouthed idiot says

As badly as he stumbles on his words and sounds shifty as gently caress I wouldn't follow him to a local diner on a meal recommendation let alone invest money into his bullshit

No, you don't see it, and be thankful you don't. But a lot of other people do. I happen to think those people are irredeemable morons but who the gently caress am I? Look I love you all, but let's square up and take this question in the face: How many people in this forum could create multiple multi-million dollar companies, build teams of powerful people who all report to you, and hire hundreds of employees all working toward whatever bullshit comes flopping out of your mouth? Spoiler, it's not an accident. It's not luck.

The guy has some kind of strange aura, and people enjoy believing in him. If you can't at least admit that, you need to rub the poo poo out of your eyes.

My point was, that's where it stops. Roberts is a mindless garbling husk with a sort of retarded charisma that certain types of people find irresistible. And his self-belief and entrepreneurial spirit are genuinely positive qualities.

This is why I hope he dies in a loving fire. He's highly persuasive and dangerously stupid.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, my 80 year old mother got the following pitch!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7b4379/how_do_you_explain_star_citizen_to_a_caveman/

But those games have very little in common so how could SC be a... my head!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 7, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Bofast posted:

Are you ok, commando?

I'm fuckin' far from ok. I'm still absolutely REELING from just how bad Elite Dangerous is. The funny thing is, Elite is Star Citizen's best-case-scenario.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I bought E:D two years ago, when it was on discount. After learning how to park my space minivan and doing a few delivery and combat missions, I decided to transport some slaves or something to a system a few jumps away, so I plotted a course, realized it would take like 20 minutes to arrive to my destination and said "gently caress this dumb poo poo!".

I am also the top poster in the Puzzle & Dragons thread and I consider E:D to be a waste of time. Yeah.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

I'm fuckin' far from ok. I'm still absolutely REELING from just how bad Elite Dangerous is. The funny thing is, Elite is Star Citizen's best-case-scenario.

Please go have a few drinks commando, and play destiny 2.

Elite is a strange case scenario, I enjoy the hell out of it. I'd log in and play space pilot flying my favorite gunship or in an SLF just for kicks then log in next month to see whats new or just to start the ship up only to dock and log out.

There's some MMO shenanigans going on with that game about literally getting somewhere, be it ships, rank or even going to the outer edge of the universe. I've been to both the ceiling of the galaxy and its floor, and you may say its all ProcGen and poo poo. But being at the top of the galaxy and just sitting there with a whiskey in your hand and looking at it all, its something.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

No, you don't see it, and be thankful you don't. But a lot of other people do. I happen to think those people are irredeemable morons but who the gently caress am I? Look I love you all, but let's square up and take this question in the face: How many people in this forum could create multiple multi-million dollar companies, build teams of powerful people who all report to you, and hire hundreds of employees all working toward whatever bullshit comes flopping out of your mouth? Spoiler, it's not an accident. It's not luck.

The guy has some kind of strange aura, and people enjoy believing in him. If you can't at least admit that, you need to rub the poo poo out of your eyes.

My point was, that's where it stops. Roberts is a mindless garbling husk with a sort of retarded charisma that certain types of people find irresistible. And his self-belief and entrepreneurial spirit are genuinely positive qualities.

This is why I hope he dies in a loving fire. He's highly persuasive and dangerously stupid.

TRUMP!

*click*

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

TheAgent posted:

but hey, here's a good thing: we got a loving major cash injection from a movie production company to do their digital effects! the company is saved

Is it likely that they will deliver those digital effects on time and of required quality to that movie production company?
Would there be a contract between them that is less free-wheeling than "it's a donation"?
I don't understand movie development, but I see some risks here.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, why is a game development studio doing movie effects? Tell me I don't understand game development, but I think it might be very unrelated to the process of completing the required tasks of finishing and shipping a video game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

As so often with these citizen tweets, I just can't help asking myself if they understand what they're actually saying and how insanely negative their apparent cheering really is, or if they think that their most recent comparison is somehow positive in some fantasy universe.

Wait, this guy is criticising SC, right?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tokamak posted:

They're a facial animation contractor that CIG have been funnelling money to since forever. They're basically one of their 'big' contractors along with Turbulent and 3Lateral.

Pretty much. The contractors that are making the "never done before" high fidelity performance capture also do performance capture for other games. Cause, you know, they're contractors.

I figured they were a contractor, but didn't know if there was more to the story. It seems awful odd that the CFO, an officer of the company with a fiduciary responsibility, would be on the (advisory) board of one of their contractors.

The CFO is someone who should be in the business of saying 'are we getting a good value for the contracting dollar?' Since he is on the board, the answer will always be 'of course'.

Remember, in Enron, one of the big issues is that Fastow (CFO) benefited financially from both sides of transactions between Enron and their shell companies.

Not saying that is necessarily true in this case, but the parallel stood out to me.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Toops posted:

It's not charisma, though. He is now actively building on every marketing trick he can think of to further his scam (Yes, it's a definitely scam by now. It's no longer in the "but maybe he believes it's going to happen" innocent territory.

The man is riding a wave of fortunate coincidences and hopes of PC gamers who haven't learned anything from the PC Game (and all the surrounding ecosystem) market from the last decade (to say the least) nor learned anything from the crowdfunding myths and schemes again of the last decade.

People still believing the tired "No publishers! We are free to make the game of your dreams" is not a testament to any charisma Crobblz has. It's a testament to how gullible people can be. And it proves that there are opportunities in this industry to take advantage of stupid people for years without actually producing anything.

I can understand if at some point people in the past (around the Double Fine adventure game Kickstarter) were willing to believe that, but we are way past that point. At least a dozen of "Kickstarter successes" but "end product failures" cases past that point.

But yeah, of course it takes effort to be a scam artist. Not anyone can do it successfully. And with such visibility, it must require a lot of hard work on double talking, coming up with ideas for impressive fake demos and maintaining the balance between inexplicably remaining in a pre-alpha for years and having (most) backers be ok with it.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 7, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
A lack of direction would be an improvement in star citizen

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Chris has that pig ignorant charisma. Pignorisma

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

McGiggins posted:

Wait, why is a game development studio doing movie effects? Tell me I don't understand game development, but I think it might be very unrelated to the process of completing the required tasks of finishing and shipping a video game.
It might not be, but I'm guessing that they're hoping that it's very related to the process of covering payroll.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Toops posted:

Just remember, only one banker was prosecuted as a result of the financial meltdown of 2008.

ONE.

Ortwin is a master, none of the higher ups will get anything but rich from this.

Calling it.

First it was SC being the BDSSE, then Elite is shite, now Ortwin is a Master including ironclad ToS.

Is there no end to the bullshit?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Elite is an ok space sim that I played quite a bit, but probably won't again until they add some more cool poo poo in again.

That's my elite story.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

BluesShaman posted:

How will teledildonics be incorporated into the final product?
Uh, they've been loving backers for years now?

"It's already in the game." -- Chris Roberts.

Tippis posted:

"Remember tulips?" /wink

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hahahaha he blocked me at some point and I didn't even realize it.

Beanie Babies really is the perfect comparison.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

How did Chris take award-winning animators and an award-winning actor and produce this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk&t=45s

Incompetence has no limits. :shrug:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Golli posted:

What's the connection between CubicMotion and CIG, aside from the CIG CFO (Simon Elms) being on their advisory board and having this image prominently featured?

http://www.develop-online.net/news/star-citizen-single-player-will-have-top-level-movie-cast/0211861

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
lol remember this? :member:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/857019349781037056

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I didn't see the date on this and was about to post "lmao on the anniversary of announcing 3.0 was right around the corner they're finally trying to skin out the main bad guy for their lovely Archered video game, how could this possibly get any worse?" and then I realized that in fact that was several months ago and we haven't heard poo poo about it since.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

like hey, here's a bad thing: we are running out of money to develop a game

and yeah, we've taken out a few loans and are really, really hoping no one looks too closely at this whole UK tax credit thing and yeah, yeah we are down almost 30% in revenue from last year so far

but also! intel paid for our last two shows, amazon floated us some monies and we're only a wee bit behind

but hey, here's a good thing: we got a loving major cash injection from a movie production company to do their digital effects! the company is saved

also I need all the art teams focused on the movie stuff because we have a four month deadline for our portion of the vfx, but this is also okay because we need six months or so to get our programmers to finish our engine

lol remember those rumours about Freelancer money being used to pay for WC movie VFX. Once a crobber, always a crobber.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Golli posted:

I figured they were a contractor, but didn't know if there was more to the story. It seems awful odd that the CFO, an officer of the company with a fiduciary responsibility, would be on the (advisory) board of one of their contractors.

The CFO is someone who should be in the business of saying 'are we getting a good value for the contracting dollar?' Since he is on the board, the answer will always be 'of course'.

Remember, in Enron, one of the big issues is that Fastow (CFO) benefited financially from both sides of transactions between Enron and their shell companies.

Not saying that is necessarily true in this case, but the parallel stood out to me.
In Star Citizen all of the job positions are meaningless titles arbitrarily given by Chris depending on how much he likes you.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Jesus loving christ. These dense loving cultists.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

For being the most recent cool kid on the block, the entertainment software industry sure seems stuck in 1920 a lot.

Granted CIG is a horrible example I imagine

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't understand where people see charisma in anything that mush mouthed idiot says

As badly as he stumbles on his words and sounds shifty as gently caress I wouldn't follow him to a local diner on a meal recommendation let alone invest money into his bullshit

Some people are just born to be scammed, just look at projects like GODUS or that SIM ANT fiasco a while back. Sometimes its nostalgia, sometimes its ignorance, but its always a lack of questions or understanding on how things work.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

I mean I just tend to post whatever poo poo I heard/read, and a lot of it evaporated

Gee, maybe it's because it's all made up bullshit?

quote:

but some of it has been spot on, especially the January leak about 3.0 in 2018 (the same guy who said the scope of the game has decreased)

Oh really? Please cite where you posted that and when. Here, I'll go first. :colbert:

quote:

derek don't even tweet me out no more, so the r/ds guys don't even care about me

That's because at some point you have to realize that being in it for shits and lols is fine. But at the end of the day, I never entered this fray to capitalize on the angst and anguish of gamers - my install base. Regarding Star Citizen, I do what I do specifically for accountability and vindication. I have been consistent throughout; and along the way there were some lols to be had.

When you keep flooding people with bullshit, eventually they become de-sensitized to it. And that's also how fake news, used correctly, works. That's why even those cultist rear end-clowns on /r/ds aren't even paying attention any more.

It's also the reason that I no longer even post leaks. And even when I do, I tend to run it through 2-3 people I trust as sources, before I make anything public. The situation is so fluid, that something can change at any time. But there is a difference between things like "they have 90 days worth of funding left" that ends up changing due to external sources, and something like "croberts financed a movie with backer money" which, while having a hint of plausibility, is just preposterous - all things considered.

A lot of industry people connected to this poo poo-show are talking. But it doesn't mean that everyone is blurting out bullshit, let alone making poo poo up on the fly. All that does is take away from the seriousness of the issue regarding the loss of over $163 million in public gamer money - and the huge impact that the impending collapse will have on our industry as a whole.

Let's examine your latest for example:

quote:

imagine putting in, say, $300,000 into a film to ensure you got at least 10 speaking lines in or roughly 90 seconds of screentime, only to find our your entire scene had been cut and that the movie is a tremendous failure and will, without a doubt, net an extreme loss even after the streaming and tv rights are sold

so your 300k is just gone but that's okay since the company kicked in for it anyway but goddamn are you pissed about not seeing yourself on the big screen

This is all bullshit.

For one thing, there is no way anyone who doesn't have first hand knowledge of this, could possibly know how much money - if any - croberts and/or Sandi put into a production.

That aside from the fact that the way the movie business works, there is no way they could have funded any part of it, only to see Sandi's part completely cut from the movie. I mean, seriously.

In contrast to my reporting of this from years ago. Sandi is an aspiring actress. It's like a side gig, no different from us who have hobbies. But back when I leaked news that she was not only making films on company property, but also using company funds to do it, a lot of people called me crazy. Until I started posting the pics as proof. It wasn't long before she was forced to cop to it on social media; and to the extent that she even had to deny using company funds for it. Then even more video proof showed up; some showing performances by staff (e.g. Alex Mayberry), and again on company property. Then I found and linked the production company to her and Ortwin. The rest is history. It's in the blogs.

And there is no loving way that they're dumb enough to use company money, especially not to that amount, to fund external activities that have no bearing on the company's goal of building two games for which they were funded. Paper trail and unjust enrichment claims aside, that's just recipe for fraud charges down the road. Not so long ago, the Lily drone fiasco, as well as the FTC own guidelines, have made it clear that using crowd-funding money for other purposes, was legally actionable.

If croberts and his entourage are using their own personal money (from backer funded paychecks) for things like this, then it's perfectly legal. The issue at hand would be if they were starving the company of funding, while lining their pockets, and using those gains to benefit themselves. And that Red flag would be the sort of things already seen in the UK financials whereby they they are taking money out of the company, lining their pockets, while putting the company into debt via loans.

quote:

at what point do you mention to the backers that you're financing film careers? that you're starting to broadcast yourself as a digital effects company, with access to superior motion capture and CGI technologies? don't you think someone on this great big internet is going to loving find out about it?

I mean, I guess you can hope that the game comes out to rousing success before then, and of course, of course! hollywood and special effects are a perfect fit for chris roberts, so its no big deal he's spending a lot of time and resources and backer money doing hollywood things

but goddamn chris, y'all playing with loving fire

Gee, shocker.

Chris, Ortwin, Sandi come from the dregs of the movie industry. So it's not far-fetched that they would still be involved in it somehow. Especially knowing that the games they're supposed to be building, are FUBAR.

Here's the thing. They can do wtf they want with the money; whether or not they deliver any games. Making plans for the future after this dumpster fire stops burning, makes perfect sense. Always have a plan B. And seeing as he knows that he's completely hosed as far as gaming is concerned; unprepared, he'd be back selling (yes, this is an absolute fact, and there are public records to prove that he was selling exotic cars, along with a partner) cars if he's not sitting in jail when the flames die down.

I don't believe for one second that they're promoting the company as a digital effects company. It's pure bullshit. There are literally DOZENS of those companies right there in Hollywood and it's their core business.

A game company which has never shipped a product of any kind, and which is primarily funded by public money, promoting itself as a digital effects company is so ludicrous, it beggars belief. Aside from the fact that they could never - ever - keep that secret. Heck, croberts is in Comcast Spectrum ads, has done promo deals with AMD, Intel, and Saitek. But yeah, the big one is the one they're going to keep secret, because it's so loving special.

Because it was rumored that croberts used part of the Freelancer funding to make effects for the Wing Commander movie, is probably where this bullshit "leak" comes from. Low hanging fruit if you ask me.

quote:

like hey, here's a bad thing: we are running out of money to develop a game

and yeah, we've taken out a few loans and are really, really hoping no one looks too closely at this whole UK tax credit thing and yeah, yeah we are down almost 30% in revenue from last year so far

but also! intel paid for our last two shows, amazon floated us some monies and we're only a wee bit behind

also I need all the art teams focused on the movie stuff because we have a four month deadline for our portion of the vfx, but this is also okay because we need six months or so to get our programmers to finish our engine

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

- Running out of money? Gee, you think?

- Hope nobody looks too closely at the UK tax credit?

Why? Unless they've committed fraud, and Coutts (who loaned them money) is in on it, there's nothing here. Other than they took out a payday loan due to low funds. Of course, anyone paying attention to the financial filings for the UK, already knows that their financial situation is in the crapper, and that they've been ripping off backers by taking money out of the company for personal gain, while saddling the company with debt. And we don't even have 2017 figures yet.

- Intel funded two shows?

That's not how that works.

In my entire industry tenure, having done exclusive deals, promo deals, E3/GDC and similar showcases with partners etc, money tends not to change hands just because you showed up as a partner. It's a marketing partnership that is usually about getting paid on units sold through the promo you are attached to. e.g. the AMD video card giveaways, the Saitek branded controller etc, are all most likely standard backend deals. The Intel SSD is no different. That's why they have a ship tie-in for which the redeem code can be used to track the number of units sold, and on which they get paid. Same with the video card. In some cases, depending on the deal, you may get some advance on a number of units. e.g. when I did my exclusive deal with Electronics Boutique for Battlecruiser Millennium Gold, I got a cash advance, which was then recouped against a number of units sold. When I did my exclusive deal with Turner GameTap for the original Echo Squad game, same thing.

- Amazon floated some money?

No, that's not how that works either. They have ZERO incentive to give them ANY money. There is no product. There is nothing of value for Amazon in such a deal. Not to mention that Amazon is actually building several game studios in their on-going bid to justify their LumberYard (a Trojan horse for AWS) investment which they have yet to recoup seeing as NOTHING has been produced from it - not even from their own studios.

- cash injection from a movie company?

Yeah, OK, whatever, man.

At some point, I am hoping that you have enough sense to know that the bulk of the poo poo you're posting, even in a tongue-in-cheek manner, expecting to get a rise, does more harm than good because it just creates more noise which then detracts from the real issues.

Stop this bullshit, because you're NOT helping.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 7, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Edit: God loving drat did I have to post after all that crap ^ Ignore that poo poo, just enjoy my wonderful shitpost:

Crobberts might just be a chump used to make other people rich: Ortwin. Sandi. Gizmondo. WC movie. Shitloads of contractors. Porn. School kid film producers(????). All complete trash with no real value (lol)

And after all that, he ended up broke as poo poo, selling used cars.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

AP posted:

The Amazon payment thing is very unlikely, I'd suspect better support access and maybe a little something for attending twitch events. The $300k for the movie is bullshit considering what happened with "Gemini 42 Entertainment", they aren't likely to be so blatant.

The paid VFX work thing, also bullshit, no way the name of the company involved or the project wouldn't immediately leak too. I also suspect Cubic Motion aren't that heavily involved with CIG anymore as, most of the time, CIG can't keep a subcontractor that long without a major fallout.
so for all this to be true, chris roberts would have to be repeating his mistakes

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Roberts is a born leader. He has natural charisma, the evidence is right there for all to see. He has followers wherever he goes.

Unfortunately, he's an imbecile, and is rarely, if ever, right. Well, thems the breaks.

"There are remarkable people alive today, but I don't think they're being allowed to compete with fatuous, attention-grabbing personalities" - Richard Feynman

Shirley you jest? Unless they've changed the definition of what a "leader" is.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AbstractNapper posted:

It's not charisma, though. He is now actively building on every marketing trick he can think of to further his scam (Yes, it's a definitely scam by now. It's no longer in the "but maybe he believes it's going to happen" innocent territory.

The man is riding a wave of fortunate coincidences and hopes of PC gamers who haven't learned anything from the PC Game (and all the surrounding ecosystem) market from the last decade (to say the least) nor learned anything from the crowdfunding myths and schemes again of the last decade.

People still believing the tired "No publishers! We are free to make the game of your dreams" is not a testament to any charisma Crobblz has. It's a testament to how gullible people can be. And it proves that there are opportunities in this industry to take advantage of stupid people for years without actually producing anything.

I can understand if at some point people in the past (around the Double Fine adventure game Kickstarter) were willing to believe that, but we are way past that point. At least a dozen of "Kickstarter successes" but "end product failures" cases past that point.

But yeah, of course it takes effort to be a scam artist. Not anyone can do it successfully. And with such visibility, it must require a lot of hard work on double talking, coming up with ideas for impressive fake demos and maintaining the balance between inexplicably remaining in a pre-alpha for years and having (most) backers be ok with it.

:perfect:

----------------

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Best post in a couple pages is definitely college kid commenting on crunch time. Nothing really speaks volumes more than a kid who’s experience in the world is “working really hard on this project” one time.

I hope he gets his dream job at CIG and can see for himself how fun constant crunch time is; especially since he can be salaried.

He can enjoy working to the breaking point and going home tired, with enough time to eat a meal and maybe watch a tv show before it’s time for bed.

He can enjoy the sound of an alarm bright and early to wake him up for a fresh 12+ hour day! Maybe since he’s still young and definitely sexy (because all programmers are sexy) he can read the text messages from his girlfriend as she asks about the weekend.

When he’s at his desk, looking over a Jira list with 200 entries he can find time to respond with a quick “working on the dream this weekend, sorry!”

He can enjoy a couple weeks of this, and maybe at the end of it he can be told his work wasn’t good enough for the new version other developers working on the other side of the world did, and none of his changes could be merged in; and he can start over.

He can enjoy that while he’s grinding into the third month, and his last day off was last Sunday, a video conference with the CEO, who’s in Monaco this week. The connection isn’t too good though because the internet is only so good on the yacht, but he did inform the manager to make sure the Porsche is serviced before he gets back, and also that all the programmers will need to switch shifts next week and work at night because Sandi is having another indie film made, and she doesn’t want anybody getting in her way; nobody there is competent enough to be trusted.

He can remember his girlfriend who left him last week while he cashes his slightly over minimum wage pay check one day during a lunch break a month later. But he’s got to hurry because there’s a new emergency today that’s asap and the jira list is 250 items long and the sprints are a confused knot and nobody really knows what’s going on.

He can realize he’s living the dream at that moment. :allears:

Your post reminds of the classic EA Spouse thing that actually forced the industry to improve working conditions a bit - http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

Oh man, clearly when evil EA does it, it's bad and lovely, but when passionate and honest CIG does the exact same drat thing, it's the people that burn out that are the problem.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Nice meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

Well, my 80 year old mother got the following pitch!

Dear Star Citizen Sub-reddit,

I am eight years old and I need tips on how to market a game to people. Ideally, it should contain no words with more than 4 syllables because I am functionally retarded, hence my need to crowdsource this. Also, if you could make it sound like the best thing ever, despite knowing that its actually a steaming pile of poo poo right now, that would be great!

I would also like a pony and a power rangers megazord for christmas.

Signed,

A loving Idiot