Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It seems topical, so I'll mention CloudReady in case others might want to try it out. If you haven't used a Chromebook before and want to see what it's like to use the OS then you can use this with your existing PC hardware. I installed it on my 6 year old ASUS netbook with a single-core Atom N450 and 2GB of DDR2 and am surprised at how well it works. The hardware is slow, of course, but there don't seem to be any incompatibilities and the UI scales great to the 1024x600 screen. I'll probably leave it on this over my previous installs of Windows 10 (which also works OK, but is definitely more sluggish) or LXDE Fedora.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

incoherent posted:

cross post from /r/sysadmin re: HP 11 chromebooks

4,000 deployment in 1 year with a 15% failure rate is pretty spectacular.

I actually just read this too! For what it's worth, I've never had an issue with any laptop, Windows or ChromeOS, HP or otherwise, except for Toshiba. Toshiba also stopped making laptops, hmm....

:thunk:

Eletriarnation posted:

It seems topical, so I'll mention CloudReady in case others might want to try it out. If you haven't used a Chromebook before and want to see what it's like to use the OS then you can use this with your existing PC hardware. I installed it on my 6 year old ASUS netbook with a single-core Atom N450 and 2GB of DDR2 and am surprised at how well it works. The hardware is slow, of course, but there don't seem to be any incompatibilities and the UI scales great to the 1024x600 screen. I'll probably leave it on this over my previous installs of Windows 10 (which also works OK, but is definitely more sluggish) or LXDE Fedora.

*Ahem*

Atomizer posted:

A company called Neverware maintains a ChromiumOS distro known as CloudReady. You can download it for free and create a USB flash drive-based installer to run on almost any existing system. Upon booting it runs as a live OS, letting you try it out before installing it locally. This is perhaps the best way to try out the OS to see if you can live with it, but it also allows you to repurpose some old hardware to get some more life out of it. Without going this route, you could also just install Chrome on an existing computer to see if you can do whatever you need to do with the browser before committing to a CB purchase.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Whoops, my bad. Should have checked again instead of assuming that it wasn't there because I didn't remember it... anyway, I can add that it works great on really low-end hardware!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This guide to setting up a development chromebook using Termux was what made it click for me: https://blog.lessonslearned.org/building-a-more-secure-development-chromebook/

That + usb 3 gigabit ethernet adapter, yubikey, and a fast microsd and it's the perfect dev terminal

On the other side of things, I've also found that having one of these backstage is extremely useful for ferrying mp3s to/from thumbdrives/the internet. It's relatively cheap so it's not the end of the world if some piece of poo poo ganks it.

The new ones with the nice screens are tempting, but the $169 one still has HDMI out.

I was looking to get a Chromebook for exactly this purpose. Did you set it up like that and if so, how did you like it?

Any recoomendations on what kinda CB would be nest suited? I’d like to use it as portable dev environment when I can’t take my 17” with me and/or as couch/bed machine to do some minor browsing/coding.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I was looking to get a Chromebook for exactly this purpose. Did you set it up like that and if so, how did you like it?

Any recoomendations on what kinda CB would be nest suited? I’d like to use it as portable dev environment when I can’t take my 17” with me and/or as couch/bed machine to do some minor browsing/coding.

All CBs work the same, so your choice can be narrowed down to price and/or features. Do you have any questions about my recommendations in the 2nd post?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Atomizer posted:

All CBs work the same, so your choice can be narrowed down to price and/or features. Do you have any questions about my recommendations in the 2nd post?

I understand they all work the same, but I was wondering if for just (basic) development / browsing / managing remote machines (rdp/ssh) a 4GB model would be sufficient. Hence me asking if people are using the setup mentioned in that article.

At the moment I'm looking for a CB that's larger than 11" and smaller than 15" and which costs about 250 euro (290 dollar). The Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431-C5FM mentioned in the recommendations looks perfect for what I want to us it for. The problem is, I can't find the C5FM model, just the C5FK which appears to be exactly the same, except it carries a 369 euro (428 dollar) pricetag. Which is a rather steep difference and outside of the price range I'm looking at.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have have an old Acer 11" Chromebook that i bought 3-4 years ago, but the thing is starting to crap out. It also tends to be slow with video and the screen sucks. It used to not work with my office's Citrix server, but for some reason it does not. I don't know if that was Google or my office making an upgrade, but because of this Chromebooks have become 10x more useful to me.

I have also long ago made the decision to buy movies and what not in Google's ecosystem, and I like their offline functionality for long flights, etc. The Chrome movies app used to be horrendous, but they really fixed it up a lot.

I want a new Chromebook with a decent size & sharp screen, touch sceen, convertible and good performance. I have been strongly considering the pixelbook, but I haven't been able to mess around with it because it is only offered online. Anyone have any experience or heard good things about the Pixelbook?

One of the things I always loved about Chromebooks was that they were so cheap. My current one was like $200. I travel a lot, so if I lose or break it, I wouldn't lose much sleep. However, it seems they they are becoming more mainstream and feature heavy and I am considering getting a premium one (such as the pixelbook). I just don't know if is "there" yet. The early versions of offline docs, apps, etc, were extremely buggy.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This guide to setting up a development chromebook using Termux was what made it click for me: https://blog.lessonslearned.org/building-a-more-secure-development-chromebook/

That + usb 3 gigabit ethernet adapter, yubikey, and a fast microsd and it's the perfect dev terminal

On the other side of things, I've also found that having one of these backstage is extremely useful for ferrying mp3s to/from thumbdrives/the internet. It's relatively cheap so it's not the end of the world if some piece of poo poo ganks it.

The new ones with the nice screens are tempting, but the $169 one still has HDMI out.

This sounds great! I've got an old Samsung Chromebook 2 without Android support (even on beta), but it sounds a lot better than turning off OS verification and using crouton

e: Actually it looks like Google Play is on the beta branch!

myDad fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 7, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I understand they all work the same, but I was wondering if for just (basic) development / browsing / managing remote machines (rdp/ssh) a 4GB model would be sufficient. Hence me asking if people are using the setup mentioned in that article.

At the moment I'm looking for a CB that's larger than 11" and smaller than 15" and which costs about 250 euro (290 dollar). The Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431-C5FM mentioned in the recommendations looks perfect for what I want to us it for. The problem is, I can't find the C5FM model, just the C5FK which appears to be exactly the same, except it carries a 369 euro (428 dollar) pricetag. Which is a rather steep difference and outside of the price range I'm looking at.

Since you mentioned wanting to do both dev stuff and leisure activity, I'd lean you towards one of the "mid-range" convertibles in the 2nd post. If you're going to be spending a lot of time with a machine it should be halfway decent. The vast majority of CBs have 4 GB of RAM, which is fine if you're using upwards of a dozen or so tabs and I don't think the other uses you mentioned are any more demanding than that. What complicates matters is that you're outside the US and have a somewhat low budget, so actually finding devices that are available for you to purchase is going to be a challenge. Can you link that C5FK model so I can look at it? I'm not sure that's an actual official Acer model.

I think something like the Samsung CB Plus would work best for you if you stretched your budget a little and found a refurb, but failing that the Acer R13 is a nice alternative, and if you check eBay I'm pretty sure you can find one under your budget.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have have an old Acer 11" Chromebook that i bought 3-4 years ago, but the thing is starting to crap out. It also tends to be slow with video and the screen sucks. It used to not work with my office's Citrix server, but for some reason it does not. I don't know if that was Google or my office making an upgrade, but because of this Chromebooks have become 10x more useful to me.

I have also long ago made the decision to buy movies and what not in Google's ecosystem, and I like their offline functionality for long flights, etc. The Chrome movies app used to be horrendous, but they really fixed it up a lot.

I want a new Chromebook with a decent size & sharp screen, touch sceen, convertible and good performance. I have been strongly considering the pixelbook, but I haven't been able to mess around with it because it is only offered online. Anyone have any experience or heard good things about the Pixelbook?

One of the things I always loved about Chromebooks was that they were so cheap. My current one was like $200. I travel a lot, so if I lose or break it, I wouldn't lose much sleep. However, it seems they they are becoming more mainstream and feature heavy and I am considering getting a premium one (such as the pixelbook). I just don't know if is "there" yet. The early versions of offline docs, apps, etc, were extremely buggy.

Is the bolded sentence supposed to end "does now?" Because if that's the case then it's not so much that anything changed on the ChromeOS or Citrix end, your employer just permitted your client access.

The Pixelbook has been receiving rave reviews, although I'm holding out for the top model because I'm an idiot and am obsessed with CBs. :doh: You can just read any review; the consensus is that the hardware is excellent, it's simply expensive and you have to be able to work within the limitations of ChromeOS.

You might consider the "mid-range convertible" recommendations in the 2nd post, the Samsung Plus/Pro, Asus Flip, and even the Acer R13. The first two are ~$500 and are solid convertibles with good specs, and are much more reasonably priced alternatives to the $1k+ Pixelbook. Note that both the Asus Flip and Samsung Pro are getting upgrades to put them closer in performance to the Pixelbook, which will also put them closer in price to it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Termux is pretty dang cool

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Atomizer posted:

Since you mentioned wanting to do both dev stuff and leisure activity, I'd lean you towards one of the "mid-range" convertibles in the 2nd post. If you're going to be spending a lot of time with a machine it should be halfway decent. The vast majority of CBs have 4 GB of RAM, which is fine if you're using upwards of a dozen or so tabs and I don't think the other uses you mentioned are any more demanding than that. What complicates matters is that you're outside the US and have a somewhat low budget, so actually finding devices that are available for you to purchase is going to be a challenge. Can you link that C5FK model so I can look at it? I'm not sure that's an actual official Acer model.

I think something like the Samsung CB Plus would work best for you if you stretched your budget a little and found a refurb, but failing that the Acer R13 is a nice alternative, and if you check eBay I'm pretty sure you can find one under your budget.

I see I called it C5FK but it’s actually C5K7. Here’s a link to the model: link

I think it’s the same model as the one you mentioned but for a different market. It’s only for sale under this type at several large retailers whereas the FM model is nowhere to be found.

I also looked into Samsung CB’s (even before finding my way to this thread), but Samsung pulled back all laptop/CB activities from my country and I can’t find any on either Amazon UK or DE so I assume they’re not available anywhere in Western Europe.

I’m not sure if I want to stretch my budget anywhere beyond 300 euro. I was looking for a lightweight/portable device I could take if I needed to go somewhere for an hour or 2 and didn’t wnat to bring my HP ZBook. Midrange might already be overkill as I expect to only use it for 1-2 hour periods at any given time.

If the price goes beyond 300 euros it might just not be worth it for me. Apparently CBs are awesome priced in the US but are almost 50% more expensive in Europe.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: Here's a slightly-discounted HP CB 13, the Pentium model for $300 (versus $330.) I'm not sure why they added another listing for this as it's still for sale in that other link. :shrug:

LochNessMonster posted:

I see I called it C5FK but it’s actually C5K7. Here’s a link to the model: link

I think it’s the same model as the one you mentioned but for a different market. It’s only for sale under this type at several large retailers whereas the FM model is nowhere to be found.

I also looked into Samsung CB’s (even before finding my way to this thread), but Samsung pulled back all laptop/CB activities from my country and I can’t find any on either Amazon UK or DE so I assume they’re not available anywhere in Western Europe.

I’m not sure if I want to stretch my budget anywhere beyond 300 euro. I was looking for a lightweight/portable device I could take if I needed to go somewhere for an hour or 2 and didn’t wnat to bring my HP ZBook. Midrange might already be overkill as I expect to only use it for 1-2 hour periods at any given time.

If the price goes beyond 300 euros it might just not be worth it for me. Apparently CBs are awesome priced in the US but are almost 50% more expensive in Europe.

Ok, that Acer 14 looks fine as far as the display/RAM/CPU go. Like I've said, Acer makes a shitton of different models, and it's a headache trying to keep them straightened out.

It's true, the selection of devices and the pricing of them are both worse outside the US. It's pretty sad, because these are among the most flexible, easy-to-use devices that would put little burden on the tech support/customer service departments of any company selling them (except for the idiots who don't understand they're not buying a Windows machine) because they just work, there's very little to go wrong with a CB.

That Acer 14 is probably the best option in your case in terms of size, functionality, and price; there's really nothing else that I'd recommend for those parameters (unless you could miraculously find a used Toshiba CB 2 2015 with the 3205U.)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 7, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just fired up the Acer R11 I have around in case of some sort of computing emergency/backup is required and ran a system update. Having Android apps out of beta is pretty dang neat!

There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Chromebooks replacing Android tablets, which rules super hard in my opinion. I know it’s kinda tangential to the thread, but Android 3.0 Honeycomb kiiiiiinda sucked. Super hard. It fills in some of the offline gaps where Chromebooks can be weak, too.

Thanks for putting this thread together, Atomizer! Do you plan on keeping it more towards explicit hardware recommendations, or are news, updates, and things like that cool as well?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What does Android 3.0 have to do with anything?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Atomizer posted:

Is the bolded sentence supposed to end "does now?" Because if that's the case then it's not so much that anything changed on the ChromeOS or Citrix end, your employer just permitted your client access.

The Pixelbook has been receiving rave reviews, although I'm holding out for the top model because I'm an idiot and am obsessed with CBs. :doh: You can just read any review; the consensus is that the hardware is excellent, it's simply expensive and you have to be able to work within the limitations of ChromeOS.

You might consider the "mid-range convertible" recommendations in the 2nd post, the Samsung Plus/Pro, Asus Flip, and even the Acer R13. The first two are ~$500 and are solid convertibles with good specs, and are much more reasonably priced alternatives to the $1k+ Pixelbook. Note that both the Asus Flip and Samsung Pro are getting upgrades to put them closer in performance to the Pixelbook, which will also put them closer in price to it.

Err, yes. It works now. This essentially gives me a portal to my office windows machine with a full suite of engineering software. Aside from that, I don't really have any Windows specific programs that I use anymore. I am a bit of a Google whore, so all my docs, photos, calendar, contacts, movies, mail, etc. are all on Google cloud apps. That's why I really love the Chromebooks, it does everything I need very well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thermopyle posted:

What does Android 3.0 have to do with anything?

Just that it was the tablet-specific flavor of Android. Chromebooks replacing Android tablets is a common discussion lately, and I think it's cool.

E: neat! A beta program to run Windows programs on Chrome:

https://www.androidcentral.com/crossover-chrome-os-lets-you-run-windows-apps-chromebooks

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 7, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Thanks for putting this thread together, Atomizer! Do you plan on keeping it more towards explicit hardware recommendations, or are news, updates, and things like that cool as well?

I envision this thread as a cross between the Chrome (browser) thread and the laptop megathread, but really you're free to post anything remotely relevant! I'll mostly be adding details about new software developments and of course new hardware recommendations in-between answering questions and helping people find the best CB for them.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Err, yes. It works now. This essentially gives me a portal to my office windows machine with a full suite of engineering software. Aside from that, I don't really have any Windows specific programs that I use anymore. I am a bit of a Google whore, so all my docs, photos, calendar, contacts, movies, mail, etc. are all on Google cloud apps. That's why I really love the Chromebooks, it does everything I need very well.

This is why I've embraced them as well. When you don't need to run Windows software, why would you run the OS just for the hell of it to perform general-purpose tasks? ChromeOS does those things better, and you never have to worry about driver updates or security issues. (I mean practically speaking these things are pretty much covered for you, not that there couldn't theoretically be some unknown, 0-day vulnerabilities.)

NewFatMike posted:

Just that it was the tablet-specific flavor of Android. Chromebooks replacing Android tablets is a common discussion lately, and I think it's cool.

E: neat! A beta program to run Windows programs on Chrome:

https://www.androidcentral.com/crossover-chrome-os-lets-you-run-windows-apps-chromebooks

Ah, I had forgotten about Honeycomb! I know a lot of people are bothered that Android tablets don't really have tablet optimizations generally and basically just run the phone OS, but that's never concerned me. Android tablets do exactly what I need them to do, and that's run Android apps. I don't give a poo poo if there's no tablet-specific Android version or whatever.

I was going to post something about CrossOver after trying it myself. In the meantime, AndroidCentral also has another "all about ChromeOS" article that I really like; it's basically a different take on my OP here. I kind of want to post it here, maybe in that third reserved post, but I don't want to break any rules regarding posting third-party content even if it's cited. Maybe I'll mark it up and add annotations when I get the chance; I really do think it's a good [alternate] assessment of what CBs are and why you'd use them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm an Android dev who uses Macs at work and Windows at home. I've never used Linux other than at university ten years ago and it was pretty lovely and hard to configure but that was Red Hat / White Box which are probably quite different to Ubuntu.

I want a laptop to use for personal Android projects but don't want to pay Mac prices. Windows is more annoying due to USB driver issues specific to Android, plus it has lovely trackpad support.

I'm considering a Chromebook and using Crouton to get Android Studio on it? Anyone tried this for dev work? Should I just buy a Mac? Also am I going to get angry with anything lower spec than a Pixelbook?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

For those people with CBooks that are "almost ready" (ie: server side support) for Android Apps but not actually listed as available, here's the latest instructions on enabling them (2 different ways):

https://iggy82.blogspot.ca/2017/05/how-to-enable-android-apps-on-dell.html

Chromebooks with server-side support:

Acer Chromebook 14
Acer Chromebook 15 (not all models)
Acer Chromebook 11 c740
ASUS C201
ASUS C202SA
ASUS C300SA
Dell Chromebook 13
Edugear CMT Chromebook
HP Chromebook 11 G5
Lenovo ThinkPad 13
Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015)

Edit: wtf, not that long details - here they are:

quote:

Temporary mode via developer mode shell (ctrl-alt-t)
shell
sudo -s
cp /etc/chrome_dev.conf /usr/local/
mount --bind /usr/local/chrome_dev.conf /etc/chrome_dev.conf
echo "--arc-availability=officially-supported " >> /etc/chrome_dev.conf
restart ui
exit
Once you have logged back in, you should see Play Store available from the main menu.

Followup:
If you turn off your Chromebook (complete power off opposed to sleep), you will need to re-enter some of the code above from terminal (Ctrl & Alt & press T):
shell
sudo su
mount --bind /usr/local/chrome_dev.conf /etc/chrome_dev.conf
restart ui
exit

Permanent method (warning - reformats your partition). Also, doesn't always work? (see URL above)

quote:

Click Settings > About Chrome OS > More Info....
Click Change Channel > Select Developer - unstable > Change Channel
Wait for download to complete, then reboot and wait for system to apply changes.
Once rebooted, you should see the Play Store appear from the main menu. If not, you may need to go to Settings and check "Enable Android apps to run on your Chromebook".

unknown fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 8, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Accidentally posted this in the laptop megathread: "My coworker is looking for a few Chromebooks for her 9 year old triplets. Have any good BF deals been posted for them?"

I've seen the BF ad for Best Buy with the two Samsungs for $100 and $120. Wondering if those are the best bet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Picked up a pixel book today with the pen. Oh my this thing is outrageously beautiful.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Accidentally posted this in the laptop megathread: "My coworker is looking for a few Chromebooks for her 9 year old triplets. Have any good BF deals been posted for them?"

I've seen the BF ad for Best Buy with the two Samsungs for $100 and $120. Wondering if those are the best bet.

For that price, the $120/4 GB RAM one is probably the best bet. Never get less RAM than that. I'm still not a fan of the N3060 (it's a low-end dual-core, and the quad-core N3150/3160 are better,) but if you're buying 3 of them and need to keep the price as low as possible I don't see an obvious better choice. You generally have to spend closer to $300 to get a solid CB. However, if the following sales materialize then I would absolutely recommend either of the following options for $200 even though they're almost double the Samsung's price:

Atomizer posted:

I wanted to share this deal alert story from Chrome Unboxed because a couple of the devices I recommend are going to be on sale. Starting 11/17 at Costco, you can get either the Acer 14 or the Acer R11 (the best models of either) for $200. That's a good price for a refurb of either of those, let alone a new one. It looks like, when active, the deals will be here and here.

hotsauce posted:

Picked up a pixel book today with the pen. Oh my this thing is outrageously beautiful.

Pics or it didn't happen. :colbert: Also, plz make them horny & sexy. :shobon:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Let us know if mkbhd's criticism of the pen is accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_GMU7-sjs

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 10, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Atomizer posted:

For that price, the $120/4 GB RAM one is probably the best bet. Never get less RAM than that. I'm still not a fan of the N3060 (it's a low-end dual-core, and the quad-core N3150/3160 are better,) but if you're buying 3 of them and need to keep the price as low as possible I don't see an obvious better choice. You generally have to spend closer to $300 to get a solid CB. However, if the following sales materialize then I would absolutely recommend either of the following options for $200 even though they're almost double the Samsung's price:

Pics or it didn't happen. :colbert: Also, plz make them horny & sexy. :shobon:

Great thanks. Passed the info along.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I don't have any such issue, no fanboy. My pen honestly works just fine...no different than, say, a Surface Pro in my experience. There is a slight amount of lag, but in it's current form it's fine. There is no need to press so hard the screen bends...looks like he has a defective something there to me.

Also MKBHD looks like someone pissed in his Cheerio's in this review. Kind of weird how he seems bent out of shape at Google for releasing this product at $999. I mean, sure cheaper everything is just exciting, but I feel this product warrants the price-tag. Would I love it to be $499? Sure thing, but let's be realistic here; the hardware is what you are buying. It's ridiculously nice. Should soccer moms buy it over a Macbook? Of course not.

I'm busy today but I'll try to post some :heysexy: pics.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 10, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That looks like a malfunctioning stylus/digitizer/whatever.

I like his review, and he gets the convertible-compromise issue spot-on. Also, I noticed the same thing regarding the Chrome/Android shortcut duplication; when I was testing out whether or not you could cache video from streaming services (Plex, Netflix, YT, etc., and the answer by the way is "yes," to internal storage only,) I ended up not being able to differentiate which version was which, and ultimately uninstalled the Android versions (which were completely unnecessary, as the Web versions work fine.) Also, I have YT notifications turned on and I was getting duplicates, one each from the Web and Android apps.... :wtc:

Marques still falls for the fallacy of, "Why spend $ on A when you could spend the same on B?" WHAT IF I DON'T WANT B?!? gently caress B!!! Seriously, if I was in the market for a tablet maybe (but not really) I'd consider an iPad, Pro or otherwise. But if you're looking for something with a built-in keyboard then tablets are out. If I was interested in [another] CB, why would I side-step to a MacOS or Windows device? I don't care if they cost the same, I don't have any MacOS-specific applications, have no need for anything that runs on that OS, don't want to pay the Apple Tax, and anything that the device can do the CB can do at least as well. The same for the Surface or any other alternative Windows device: if ChromeOS does what you're looking for then why would you add complexity? I like never having to deal with complex system or driver updates (ChromeOS handles this in the background and usually requires only a quick reboot whenever you're ready) not to mention exploits/viruses/etc.

And all of that criticism doesn't get into the added functionality that CBs get from Android apps and potentially other software in the future with containers. Seriously, if you're in the market for a CB because they do everything you need, why the gently caress would you instead buy a Mac or Windows system?!?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so why is a pixelbook worth $1000? i know little about it

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

so why is a pixelbook worth $1000? i know little about it

The same reason any other device is worth that much: performance, build quality, features. In this case, the Pixelbook is among the best-performing CBs; it basically matches any other of the highest-end i5/i7 CBs like the 2015 CB Pixel, Acer CB for Work, Toshiba Thinkpad 13, etc. It has a build as nice as any other premium laptop (metal & glass.) It's a convertible with a high-res display, backlit keyboard, and stylus support.

The "cost" is $1k or more; it's "worth" that much if you spend a lot of time using it. Nevertheless, you can spend less money than that and get a nice ChromeOS experience.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atomizer posted:

That looks like a malfunctioning stylus/digitizer/whatever.

I like his review, and he gets the convertible-compromise issue spot-on. Also, I noticed the same thing regarding the Chrome/Android shortcut duplication; when I was testing out whether or not you could cache video from streaming services (Plex, Netflix, YT, etc., and the answer by the way is "yes," to internal storage only,) I ended up not being able to differentiate which version was which, and ultimately uninstalled the Android versions (which were completely unnecessary, as the Web versions work fine.) Also, I have YT notifications turned on and I was getting duplicates, one each from the Web and Android apps.... :wtc:

Marques still falls for the fallacy of, "Why spend $ on A when you could spend the same on B?" WHAT IF I DON'T WANT B?!? gently caress B!!! Seriously, if I was in the market for a tablet maybe (but not really) I'd consider an iPad, Pro or otherwise. But if you're looking for something with a built-in keyboard then tablets are out. If I was interested in [another] CB, why would I side-step to a MacOS or Windows device? I don't care if they cost the same, I don't have any MacOS-specific applications, have no need for anything that runs on that OS, don't want to pay the Apple Tax, and anything that the device can do the CB can do at least as well. The same for the Surface or any other alternative Windows device: if ChromeOS does what you're looking for then why would you add complexity? I like never having to deal with complex system or driver updates (ChromeOS handles this in the background and usually requires only a quick reboot whenever you're ready) not to mention exploits/viruses/etc.

And all of that criticism doesn't get into the added functionality that CBs get from Android apps and potentially other software in the future with containers. Seriously, if you're in the market for a CB because they do everything you need, why the gently caress would you instead buy a Mac or Windows system?!?

Re: iPad Pro, I think the Pixelbook is for the same *kind* of consumer, just if they fall more on the development side vs creative side, I guess. I'm still learning my way around some of the software that I bought the iPad Pro for workflow-wise, but for sketching and some relatively simple 3D modeling, it's doing a real good job. It's a very narrow line, like one or two exclusive apps or mouse support, that separate a Pixelbook buyer from an iPad Pro buyer.

MKB also fails to note that for your grand, you get there keyboard included on the Pixelbook, and sometimes the smart keyboard is a little finicky on the iPad.

If I find myself with the money, I might pick up whatever Samsung comes up with to replace their current Chromebook Pro next year to compare more similar products.

Computers are cool! Sucks that MKB has a broken stylus.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Re: iPad Pro, I think the Pixelbook is for the same *kind* of consumer, just if they fall more on the development side vs creative side, I guess. I'm still learning my way around some of the software that I bought the iPad Pro for workflow-wise, but for sketching and some relatively simple 3D modeling, it's doing a real good job. It's a very narrow line, like one or two exclusive apps or mouse support, that separate a Pixelbook buyer from an iPad Pro buyer.

MKB also fails to note that for your grand, you get there keyboard included on the Pixelbook, and sometimes the smart keyboard is a little finicky on the iPad.

If I find myself with the money, I might pick up whatever Samsung comes up with to replace their current Chromebook Pro next year to compare more similar products.

Computers are cool! Sucks that MKB has a broken stylus.

Samsung's going to upgrade the specs on the Pro to put it closer to the Pixelbook in terms of performance. The same is the plan for the Asus Flip C302.

When I compare a tablet to an actual laptop with a built-in keyboard, I'm referencing the fact that no keyboard cover/detachable keyboard setup with a kickstand for the tablet comes close to the usability of an actual laptop setup. So while tablets are better for consumption and I guess you can get some sketching or whatever done on the iPad Pro, I'm considering CBs to be in a separate category where text input is a priority. I type a lot (if that wasn't obvious) so a laptop setup (or even a desktop with a nice mechanical keyboard) is necessary. Not everyone has the same use case as me, of course.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Atomizer posted:

Samsung's going to upgrade the specs on the Pro to put it closer to the Pixelbook in terms of performance. The same is the plan for the Asus Flip C302.

Do we have even a rough timeframe on this? Where do you read about this stuff?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Do we have even a rough timeframe on this? Where do you read about this stuff?

Timeframe: Soon™. Although to be fair the C302 has already had some other modes, notably a high-end m7 one only available in the UK.

I first read about this on Chrome Unboxed, the article is linked in the 2nd post under the description for the Samsung CBs in the recommendation section.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I had an iPad Pro 12.9" before the Pixelbook. It was neat-o and iOS 11 brought it ever so closer to being a device I could do everything on. One thing always bugged me...severely.

No mouse.

I know, that's not the spirit of iOS, etc, but without a mouse it became laborious and unpleasant to use for lengths of time, even with the pencil and keyboard. Having to reach up and tap for every navigation function is ridiculous.

I saw this on reddit and honestly think it belongs in the OP. The mouse gestures on ChromeOS are great, especially on the Pixelbook (the glass pad is macbook like). Two finger back/forward is a bit janky with the animation. This flag changes that, for the better:

Go into chrome://flags and find "overscroll history navigation"

Set to "simple" :aaaaa:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Add me in as someone who doesn't have the same issues with the Pixelbook pen that he did. Mine works with minimal pressure.

That said, I initially had issues with it stopping to register at certain angles. I just pulled the tip out and put it back in and haven't had an issue since.

I've been loving the poo poo out of my Pixelbook and I have one of the devices he mentioned in the video, the Surface Pro (i7, 8gb, 256gb config). Now, I also love the Surface Pro and if I needed to take a general high powered computer somewhere to use a desktop app, I would carry it with me. However, most of the time, I don't need something like that. I need a browser and Android apps will give me the rest of the functionality I need.

For example, if I was worried about logging into my work VDI from anywhere if I knew I was going to be away from home for awhile, it would likely be the Pixelbook that gets thrown in my bag rather than my Surface pro because the keyboard/trackpad combo is better and the Android Horizon app is nearly as good as the Windows client.

Most of the apps I use on a daily basis are Android apps since my phone is the thing I have with me all the time. So, it makes sense that the larger screen I want to carry around with me the most also runs those android apps.

Yeah, I can do it for cheaper and I have tried cheaper in the past. I've had a Toshiba Chromebook 2, HP Chromebook 13, and Samsung Chromebook Pro.

The Toshiba was dipping my first toes into ChromeOS and I really liked the simplicity of it. The HP purchase was to get that simplicity in a better hardware package and it mostly succeeded at that, but then it became important that chromebooks have a touchscreen.

I went after the Chromebook Pro before it became clear that Google was coming out with their own. It looked great on paper, but the hardware quality is severely lacking. It developed creaking in the chassis after only a few months of light use and I need to RMA it for an issue that's plaguing a lot of people (phantom touch inputs after you convert it between tablet and laptop mode.) The keyboard also was the worst out of the three chromebooks I previously owned.

So, I had a device that I used on a daily basis who's high points (screen, speed, simplicity) were marred by various hardware nits. So, when they announced the Pixelbook, that basically became the perfect device for me. It took the screen, OS, even more performance and wrapped them into a top notch hardware package with no real faults that I've been able to find. It's been a joy to use.

You can get cheaper chromebooks with pretty much the same functionality and I say go for it. However, the Pixelbook is best feeling and best thought out piece of hardware I've used in a long long time. I think it's worth every cent if you love using ChromeOS.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way at all of making Smart Lock (unlock your Chromebook while your Android phone is unlocked) more ... useful?

I'm absolutely, utterly fed up of setting up Smart Lock, then having it somehow lose sight of my phone; so it's forever at the yellow 'uh-oh can't find your phone, better enter your Google account's entire 64-character password string, gently caress you' login prompt instead. Or its latest trick, which is getting the green 'unlocked, click your profile image' thing and it then turning into the yellow 'uh whoops that didn't work, gimme your password, gently caress you' prompt anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I dunno, but I'm also fed up with its uselessness.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atomizer posted:

When I compare a tablet to an actual laptop with a built-in keyboard, I'm referencing the fact that no keyboard cover/detachable keyboard setup with a kickstand for the tablet comes close to the usability of an actual laptop setup. So while tablets are better for consumption and I guess you can get some sketching or whatever done on the iPad Pro, I'm considering CBs to be in a separate category where text input is a priority. I type a lot (if that wasn't obvious) so a laptop setup (or even a desktop with a nice mechanical keyboard) is necessary. Not everyone has the same use case as me, of course.

Oh yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. For me typing is a secondary kind of function for the machine I needed. I'm still mastering the CAD applications, but I can see it getting really fast once I get a few things figured out.

If word processing functions outside of email composition, I probably would have gone to a nicer Chromebook. It doesn't seem like the CAD environment for Android and Chrome are quite as robust. Tinkercad is nice, but if I want to work offline, I couldn't find a solution for it.

I didn't realize the Flip was getting a spec upgrade, can't wait to see the update on that and the Samsung! The fact that the Samsung has a taller than 16:9 ratio is awesome, too.

hotsauce posted:

I had an iPad Pro 12.9" before the Pixelbook. It was neat-o and iOS 11 brought it ever so closer to being a device I could do everything on. One thing always bugged me...severely.

No mouse.

I know, that's not the spirit of iOS, etc, but without a mouse it became laborious and unpleasant to use for lengths of time, even with the pencil and keyboard. Having to reach up and tap for every navigation function is ridiculous.

I can definitely see things getting old for a lot of folks there. I do use the Apple pencil for some finer control stuff, but it's also $100 extra, so it's a bad point anyway.

It's super nice that there's something for everyone. I apologize for a semi derail. Hopefully it reads for genuine enthusiasm and comparison.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The best thing about Chromebooks is that they are good machines to put regular Linux on. Still a shame that you have to open the machines up if you want to write to the firmware so you don't have to watch a warning screen everytime you boot it.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Does anyone think Google with drop the price of the Pixelbook for Black Friday or the holidays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Does anyone think Google with drop the price of the Pixelbook for Black Friday or the holidays?

I don't really expect this to happen, at least not as long as it's selling reasonably well. This is partially because it's a brand-new product; if it was released in, say, March, then yeah, I could see them giving it a little discount after half a year. But even if it's profitable, with a healthy margin, discounting a new product so soon after launch can give the impression that it's not selling well, that maybe they want to clearance it out, etc. You wouldn't want prospective customers to think you're abandoning a new product.

But who knows, I could be totally wrong! :shrug: