Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I was pretty hard sold on picking Cogmind up but saw a few pages back that its hard locked to an American keyboard layout with no option to change. Did that ever change? That's enough of a pain to be a dealbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

A Magical Lamp posted:

I was pretty hard sold on picking Cogmind up but saw a few pages back that its hard locked to an American keyboard layout with no option to change. Did that ever change? That's enough of a pain to be a dealbreaker
IIRC, it can be changed, you just have to do so from outside the game, in a file. (Kyz or someone can confirm.)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Cogmind: Had my most successful run the other day (-7 :w00t:) that involved me stupidly getting into a fight with some Pests that I thought would be a breeze with my grenade launcher. Fastfoward 20 turns and I've blown up so many walls that reinforcements are bee-lining their way towards me and I'm standing out in the open with no cover like a moron. Predictibly all my parts get shot off and for a brief moment I am a naked core again, barely able to roll towards a mini grenade launcher which I used to mop up the last of the enemies. Then I started piecing myself back together without any propulsion for far too long, finally get a halfway working rig, then get chased by a Defender that forces me to hop blindly into a branch. I did alright in Storage but even with great coverage my last 20 points of core HP didn't last long enough to find the exit. Some sharpshooting Pest ended my run, but I feel like I learned a little bit. Namely that the advice in the game's manual, taking two propulsion upgrades at the first evolution, was a pretty good decision. I feel like 2 propulsion, 1 utility and 1 weapon, then 1 utility and 1 propulsion is probably a good start assuming I'm not overly reliant on energy for weapons or shielding. When I was piecing myself back together I tried using some flight units but I couldn't find enough to offset my weight; I was just barely scooting along the ground for a while.

DoomRL: I fired this up for the first time yesterday since work was slow and I'm pretty impressed. I went in blind on the Medium difficulty and got maybe 9 floors down, doing as many of the optional areas as I could find. I bit the dust in the Skull City/Bone City because I used a large med kit off the ground instead of picking it up. Towards the end I was just starting to experiment with the alt-fire and alt-reload techniques and once I died I checked out the wiki. I'm really surprised with how much depth there is for such a simple concept. I had no idea about the assembled weapons and had been picking traits kind of willy-nilly. I took some newfound knowledge and started up a character on the normal/hard difficulty and promptly died in the arena.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 7, 2017

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Infra Arcana with another substantial sweeping update to v19.2

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cogmind: I have found a very special door with 80 "armour", which the tooltip tells me I need to exceed in damage in a single instance to be able to damage it's integrity. Will a singly volley from multiple weapons count, or is it literally all guns whose dmg range doesn't go over 80 (ie, all of them but a few special ones) are useless? Originally, I had a very special toy I was keeping for this, whose AoE was so comically large that it took me by surprise when targeting so I had to back up a lot. Queue enemy patrol coming in and one-shotting it out of my hands with a crit. I'm livid.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LawfulWaffle posted:

DoomRL: I fired this up for the first time yesterday since work was slow and I'm pretty impressed. I went in blind on the Medium difficulty and got maybe 9 floors down, doing as many of the optional areas as I could find. I bit the dust in the Skull City/Bone City because I used a large med kit off the ground instead of picking it up. Towards the end I was just starting to experiment with the alt-fire and alt-reload techniques and once I died I checked out the wiki. I'm really surprised with how much depth there is for such a simple concept. I had no idea about the assembled weapons and had been picking traits kind of willy-nilly. I took some newfound knowledge and started up a character on the normal/hard difficulty and promptly died in the arena.

DoomRL is still one of my favorite roguelikes because although it is a simple concept, and it has a fairly narrow focus, it executes that focus extremely well and has enough depth and complexity to keep it interesting.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Otherwise agreeable, but the line of sight fuckery and having to listen to sounds are both rather annoying features.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Downloaded Cardinal Quest 2 based on a recommendation here. Took my first character to the end of Act 1 in exactly 50 minutes. I feel I didn't quite earn the achievement since it reads "Beat Act 1 in less than 50:00 (game time)" - although when I went to look up the wording of the achievement I see that my time played clock reads 43:17 and counting. So I don't know.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Otherwise agreeable, but the line of sight fuckery and having to listen to sounds are both rather annoying features.

The line of sight fuckery in DoomRL is, like, the entire game. I can understand not liking it (although I do) but liking DoomRL but hating the LoS mechanics seems really strange.

e: As for the sounds, wasn't there someone who made a net-hosted terminal port of DoomRL that changed the sounds into text warnings?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 7, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've only played DoomRL with the sound off so I don't know what I'm missing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Infra Arcana with another substantial sweeping update to v19.2

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

everyone should be playing infra arcana because it's a great example of keeping things streamlined while still including an absolute shitload of flavor

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Serephina posted:

It's really hard to enjoy the game when it's so busy trying to unrepentantly murder you. I'm starting to suspect Cogmind will eventually end up categorized next to IVAN.

Nah. I'm far from the best cogmind player and most of my runs end somewhere between -3 and -1 There are some people with literally dozens of wins under their belt and some strategies that can very reliably win. The easiest and straightforward way to play - make a bee line for the exit, shoot up the opposition, ignore hacking, use what you find - is viable but not optimal. But the benefits from Zion alone make getting to the end game very doable.

I just need to figure out how to avoid getting obliterated when I enter Testing with a heavy combat build.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Cogmind's definitely no IVAN, it's just that it hasn't had years of people pulling it apart and writing up spoilers and guides yet so you don't know which branches to hit and when and what's coming up

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Elona has it's hooks in me again. Sometimes you just want to play something completely loving ridiculous for awhile.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

That's where Dungeonmans made its world debut <3

What I really liked about it back then was that people found a lot of weird obscure roguelikes and talked about them. We're in a RL golden age right now so there's more mainstream stuff to discuss, but back then you'd hear about poo poo like Meritous http://www.asceai.net/meritous/

I agree with this and I really like the little oddities. The thing is there are so many drat roguelikes now and so many of them are good. People in this thread are responsible for as many high quality “second tier” (referring to notoriety not quality) roguelikes as even existed seven or eight years ago.

e: and a bit late but the problem with micro transactions in games that are already hard is that it’s really tough to determine whether or not you’re balancing around the microtransactions.

e2: what roguelikes would go in a new thread (I have a view, it’s a lot) and anyone have bookmarked posts from this one worth calling out?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 7, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Like, to make a new Roguelike thread?

Definitely for the lite-r side I would go with Isaac, Gungeon, Necrodancer, Nuclear Throne, and Spelunky as the tent poles. Probably throw in Risk of Rain, Streets of Rogue, Strafe and Immortal Redneck too.

For lesser known ones that maybe deserve mention from a discovery or historical standpoint: Caveblazers, Ziggurat, Flamebreak and Neon Chrome

eta: Should probably mention Rogue Legacy and FTL as well.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 7, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd want there to be a clear division between roguelikes and roguelites, as much as I love some of them. But then I'm a purist. :shrug:

As for the ones to go into the OP, start with newbie friendly ones - Sproggiwood, DoomRL, Dungeonmans, Tangledeep. Then bring up the rest like Caves of Qud, Cogmind, Crawl, ToME4, etc.

As much as I like some of the newer roguelikes like Golden Krone Hotel, Midboss - not sure if they're OP worthy? Unless you want to do a novel-sized OP again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The line of sight fuckery in DoomRL is, like, the entire game. I can understand not liking it (although I do) but liking DoomRL but hating the LoS mechanics seems really strange.

e: As for the sounds, wasn't there someone who made a net-hosted terminal port of DoomRL that changed the sounds into text warnings?

That was me; you can play it (in the browser or over telnet) at phobos.ancilla.ca.

You can also use the closed captions locally (in terminal or graphical mode; the latter puts the "sounds" in the title bar), but the instructions for doing so are kind of rough around the edges and you'll have to build libttysound from scratch.

At some point I want to either make an "unzip and play" ready package for it, or (now that DoomRL is open source) get this feature integrated into the game itself and dispense with the ugly hacks I use here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

That was me; you can play it (in the browser or over telnet) at phobos.ancilla.ca.

You can also use the closed captions locally (in terminal or graphical mode; the latter puts the "sounds" in the title bar), but the instructions for doing so are kind of rough around the edges and you'll have to build libttysound from scratch.

At some point I want to either make an "unzip and play" ready package for it, or (now that DoomRL is open source) get this feature integrated into the game itself and dispense with the ugly hacks I use here.

You, you are a saint.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is the old steam OP too long for a new roguelikes thread OP?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Is the old steam OP too long for a new roguelikes thread OP?

:allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In all seriousness, an OP being a comprehensive resource for a topic is one of the coolest things that SA has. I haven't seen other forums consistently bring as much information to an OP - to the point where it's worth it to peruse other subforums here just to see what kind of OPs they have. I remember the old Deus Ex: whatever the reboot was called having a long OP that was a ton of fun to read.

Also it's thematically appropriate for a roguelike to have a long readme.txt compared to how barebones the games appear to be.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd want there to be a clear division between roguelikes and roguelites, as much as I love some of them. But then I'm a purist. :shrug:

The current OP has the first post for traditional roguelikes and the second post for roguelites, although even then it doesn't cover most of the action roguelites like Spelunky.

There isn't a separate roguelite thread and I don't think there ought to be one. But given how Steam has made "roguelike" the catchall tag for every game from Qud to Isaac to Heat Signature, the thread ought to cover the ground.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 7, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. I think you’re looking at... 2 posts for roguelikes. 2 posts for roguelites. 1 for general.

Uh. So a lot. When we did the contest like 2 years ago a ton of people posted summaries of their favourite little nothing roguelikes.

There are SO MANY now.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PMush Perfect posted:

IIRC, it can be changed, you just have to do so from outside the game, in a file. (Kyz or someone can confirm.)

I'd be super interested in confirmation on this too

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah. I think you’re looking at... 2 posts for roguelikes. 2 posts for roguelites. 1 for general.

Uh. So a lot. When we did the contest like 2 years ago a ton of people posted summaries of their favourite little nothing roguelikes.

There are SO MANY now.

Not every game really merits a full breakdown in the OP though, sometimes just a name, a one-sentence description and a link to the website or Steam store page would be enough. Like yeah, a description of what Nuclear Throne is with a couple pics or Youtube links and a summary of how it stands out in the genre would probably be smart, but it's also pretty widely acclaimed. Something like Necropolis probably merits a mention even though it is (apparently) not very good, but that's it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jordan7hm posted:

There are SO MANY now.

The hack slash loot review from that contest is still one of my favorites.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Like, to make a new Roguelike thread?

Definitely for the lite-r side I would go with Isaac, Gungeon, Necrodancer, Nuclear Throne, and Spelunky as the tent poles. Probably throw in Risk of Rain, Streets of Rogue, Strafe and Immortal Redneck too.

For lesser known ones that maybe deserve mention from a discovery or historical standpoint: Caveblazers, Ziggurat, Flamebreak and Neon Chrome

eta: Should probably mention Rogue Legacy and FTL as well.

Starward Rogue deserves a mention. Maybe Monster Slayers (probably yes)? Maybe Tharsis (probably no)?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Could you do a Steam list for everything that falls in the "These are good and fun games but we don't have enough space to go in to details" category?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

The current OP has the first post for traditional roguelikes and the second post for roguelites, although even then it doesn't cover most of the action roguelites like Spelunky.

There isn't a separate roguelite thread and I don't think there ought to be one. But given how Steam has made "roguelike" the catchall tag for every game from Qud to Isaac to Heat Signature, the thread ought to cover the ground.

Agreed. I'm happy to have this thread cover roguelites, just as long as we're not mixing Caves of Qud with Gungeon.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just put Rogue, a copy of the Berlin Interpretation wiki page run through buttbot, and Robot Finds Kitten in the OP. Discussion can take it from there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Floodkiller posted:

Just put Rogue, a copy of the Berlin Interpretation wiki page run through buttbot, and Robot Finds Kitten in the OP. Discussion can take it from there.
Ah, a procedurally generated first page :goonsay:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Heffer posted:

Could you do a Steam list for everything that falls in the "These are good and fun games but we don't have enough space to go in to details" category?

Towerclimb definitely deserves to be in this list, if it happens. Still the second best raw platformer roguelite, after Spelunky.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Include No Roguelites. also let me determine what is and isn't a roguelike (results may surprise you (spoilers: if i dont personally like it it's not a roguelike. (even if it is)))

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Klaus Kinski posted:

The hack slash loot review from that contest is still one of my favorites.

Do you have a link to it? I have forgotten it, though I remember HSL is bad.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm kinda of the opinion that the Rogue Basin could use writeups more than a new roguelike thread would, but if you want to highlight popular roguelikes and then direct people to the Rogue Basin for more, that would probably be fine.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Prism posted:

Do you have a link to it? I have forgotten it, though I remember HSL is bad.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post423313329

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OH MY GOD ADOM WHAT IS WITH ALL THESE lovely UGLY ENDLESS POP UP MESSAGES, I TURNED THEM OFF AND THEY ARE STILL HAPPENING

Biskup you loving dimwit

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I seem to have commented on it back then but it slipped my mind.

Accurate review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*downloads infra arcana*

*stares at the abbreviated name*