Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CubsWoo posted:

Giants pick up Pablo Sandoval's (18MM, but Boston is required to pay all but 545K of it as per the terms of his Red Sox contract) team options

:lol: that's such a dick move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

:lol: that's such a dick move

I completely missed that and it is amazing

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Boston would have to pay that regardless. The Giants are only picking up the option to retain Sandoval for the ML minimum another year.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Which is through age 40 and probably his retirement

I just can't fathom somebody wanting to be in Ohio that long

There's nothing wrong with Ohio, except the snow and the rain.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My Canadian lover also has anxiety issues and such, so familiarity and stability are important to him. Plus I think he really enjoys the community in Cincinnati where he can be Joey Votto doing charitable/public things without a ton of public fanfare and be Joey Votto just a dude without trying to hide himself.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Still baffled that Anthony Rendon didn't make the cut.

I'm also disappointed, but I get it. Rendon's MVP candidacy was based almost entirely on his Fangraphs WAR, which rated his defensive prowess significantly higher than BRef or BP WAR, to the tune of a full additional win. Relying purely on advanced defensive metrics to keep pace with traditional offensive numbers is already a tough hill to climb, and when those advanced metrics also disagree so significantly on how much value he added then it becomes tough to make the case.

But I love you Tony two-bags and you're the MVP of my heart.

Edit: Also, Ohio is cool. I moved to Columbus 2 years ago thinking it was going to be horrible but it's actually great. I've noticed that the people who bag on Ohio have usually never been there (myself included).

ego symphonic fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 7, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

Sorry, another dumb question.

Let's say you traded a player like Verlander but agreed to pick up $10 million of his contract each year remaining. Would the $10 million count toward the luxury tax or is it based on the salaries that are currently on the team regardless of who is paying portions of it? Hope that makes sense.

Retained salary counts just like normal salary.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Nah cbus sucks

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Counterpoint: it's good

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ego symphonic posted:

Edit: Also, Ohio is cool. I moved to Columbus 2 years ago thinking it was going to be horrible but it's actually great. I've noticed that the people who bag on Ohio have usually never been there (myself included).

I lived in Ohio for five years, it bad.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees added Jake Cave and Nick Rumbleow to the 40-man to protect them from the Rule 5 draft.

Gotta shore up your minor league name tool reserve, no question.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Gotta shore up your minor league name tool reserve, no question.

Yeah but Nestor Cortes is still unprotected :ohdear:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Otani is going to be so underpaid if he comes over..

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CubsWoo posted:

Carlos Santana (CLE)
Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Lorenzo Cain (KCR)
Lance Lynn (STL)
Alex Cobb (TBR)
Wade Davis, Jake Arrieta (CHC)
Greg Holland (COL)

Who is going to be the Yearly "Turns down the QO and no one wants to sign him so he goes until mid June before signing" case this year?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who is going to be the Yearly "Turns down the QO and no one wants to sign him so he goes until mid June before signing" case this year?

nobody, considering how it works now

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

nobody, considering how it works now

Did I miss something? How does the QO now work?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Paul Zuvella posted:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/259650658/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained/

It has changed quite a bit, and it's actually kind of complicated.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

It was posted a page or so ago but I put it in the op too, basically the signing team's penalties were greatly reduced.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Otani is going to be so underpaid if he comes over..

For sure, and I think the MLBPA has been going in the wrong direction for a bit now on player protections, but Otani knows he's going to get underpaid and is choosing to do it anyway. It's a weird situation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Otani is going to get taken care of even if his official contract is very low, and it sounds like any time that signs him is going to do it with a wink and a nudge that he'll be getting a VERY handsome arbitration increase/extension after the first year. MLB has crossed their arms and said they wouldn't let it happen, but honestly I have no idea how they intend to stop it given how much precedent there is for extending young talent.

Honestly the whole thing is really, really dumb. Otani wants to play here. The MLB likewise wants Otani to play here because they know he's exciting and will draw attention & revenue. All this dumb red tape they've thrown up in the way of something everybody wants to happen seems incredibly self defeating at this point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

For sure, and I think the MLBPA has been going in the wrong direction for a bit now on player protections, but Otani knows he's going to get underpaid and is choosing to do it anyway. It's a weird situation.

I'm also curious how the whole hitting thing is going to work... Is he going to DH every day? Is he going to hit when he pitches and if so his team is going to lose the DH for the rest of the game when he comes out? What if he's just a league avg hitter?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cardinals have released Trevor Rosenthal

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I'm also curious how the whole hitting thing is going to work... Is he going to DH every day? Is he going to hit when he pitches and if so his team is going to lose the DH for the rest of the game when he comes out? What if he's just a league avg hitter?

He will pitch and if he’s on an AL team they will still use a DH. He might pinch hit in weird situations. Don’t delude yourself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

beejay posted:

He will pitch and if he’s on an AL team they will still use a DH. He might pinch hit in weird situations. Don’t delude yourself.

It's going to be interesting depending on if he's a better hitter than pitcher or visa versa. Lots of room for second guessing.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'd love for an awesome pitcher/hitter guy to happen in the MLB but I just don't see it. Starting pitchers are too valuable now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

beejay posted:

The team who offers him the chance to hit regularly is going to sign him, he's made that clear. Who knows how it will shake out performance-wise, but initially it's going to be a big deal.

I think an AL team will say he'll have the DH spot when he's not pitching, and use the DH normally when he is pitching.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Don't think any of the QO guys will have any problem getting signed. Even if it still cost a first round pick to sign them, instead of a 2nd-5th rounder, I think they'd all be fine. There's no real questionable QOs this year, not like when Colby Rasmus got one.

That said, I wouldn't want to be the team that gives Eric Hosmer a megadeal. That could go bad real quick.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

The team who offers him the chance to hit regularly is going to sign him, he's made that clear. Who knows how it will shake out performance-wise, but initially it's going to be a big deal.

I think an AL team will say he'll have the DH spot when he's not pitching, and use the DH normally when he is pitching.

Yeah I think DH'ing on days where he doesn't start for an AL team is the closest Otani can get to being the true two-way player he wants to be. That said I still have a feeling that the second his performance begins to decline on the pitching front, whatever team he's on is going to ease off letting him hit as much.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
So uh Roy Halladay's plane crashed in the gulf of Mexico but authorities have not confirmed if he was on board

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't Zambrano resist going to an AL team because he wanted to hit

ElwoodCuse posted:

So uh Roy Halladay's plane crashed in the gulf of Mexico but authorities have not confirmed if he was on board

Whoa :stare:

One confirmed fatality, no word on if it's him :stare::stare:

e:

No idea who this is but

https://twitter.com/SannyDamet/status/927993357049188352

No check mark so

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 7, 2017

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

ElwoodCuse posted:

What the gently caress :cry:

Please don't be on that plane Roy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He was one of the guys you never wanted to pitch against your team when he was in his prime. He was borderline unhitable for 3-4 years there.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

jfc it's always the random people you don't expect to die

Hope that news isn't true!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ry_Bass/status/927995860985794561

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ElwoodCuse posted:

gently caress, this is scary news. One confirmed dead, but they haven't confirmed that it's him.

I'm expecting the worst. honestly.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm expecting the worst. honestly.

Yeah. "Lemme borrow your plane" doesn't seem too likely.

This sucks.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ElwoodCuse posted:

What the fuuuuuck :cry:

Famous people need to stop flying their own planes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
drat Roy Halladay - this sucks.

Has this long dead forum matured or will we see a Corey Lidle situation here.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sab0921 posted:

drat Roy Halladay - this sucks.

Has this long dead forum matured or will we see a Corey Lidle situation here.

there's no 9/11 analogue to make here. maybe a BP joke? idk but there's something here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Oh no Doc :(

• Locked thread