Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's really not a discussion, to be honest. He is getting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/zoowithroy/status/928004645796155392

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ALFbrot posted:

It gets waived down to six months after the death, not immediate. The rule was changed to "immediate" after Clemente died, and then later amended.

August 5, 1973: Rule amended to allow consideration after six months has passed or after five years have passed, whichever comes first.

Out of context of "six months after death or five years after retirement," this is a really humorous rule. "Six months or five years, whichever comes first"

Is that for induction or voting? Because votings in like 2 months.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Your Taint posted:

Is that for induction or voting? Because votings in like 2 months.

Then he won't be eligible.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Halladay would have been eligible after next season but I don't know if that means he's eligible for this year's class?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

Then he won't be eligible.

Could they grant a special waiver? It's not often you see a tragedy like this.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's really not a discussion, to be honest. He is getting in.

100%. What lovely news. I really liked watching him pitch.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Paul Zuvella posted:

Doc Has to be the front runner for "best pitcher of the mid 2000s" right?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Was that the 1-0 game where Howard blew out his knee on the final out?

Achilles I thought, but yeah. Leadoff triple by Furcal, RBI by Skip Schumaker of all people, then Halladay shut the Cardinals down until he got lifted for a pinch hitter. Carpenter pitched a CGSO, the commentary was emphasizing how they were good friends. One of the best pitchers’ duels I’ve ever seen.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hall of fame voters made an exception for Roberto Clemente in his eligibility.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

axeil posted:

Could they grant a special waiver? It's not often you see a tragedy like this.

The rule was put in place specifically for tragedies like this.

They put in a rule that players that pass away can be immediately eligible 3 days after Roberto Clemente died. Seven months later, they amended that rule to say "maybe we shouldn't make it immediate"

seiferguy posted:

Again, not an exception. It was a codified rule change for Clemente. Then they amended it later that year.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

This is some really goddamn lovely news to come home to...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I remember this game. He was completely unhitable.

https://twitter.com/RailRidersTT/status/928013393264562176

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

There is also something different (not to take away from a tragedy) of a player dying in his career and one dying 4 years into retirement.

e: Clemente also died literally en route to deliver disaster relief

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Cotdamnit. Gone too soon.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

drat, that's a bummer. He was my favourite Jay of all-time. I remember the best game I've ever seen live was Doc vs. Buerhle that took less than 2 hours.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Are flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders required on small, private planes?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Are flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders required on small, private planes?

No.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/1684/which-aircraft-are-required-to-have-a-black-box

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Red Red Blue posted:

This is some really goddamn lovely news to come home to...

You think you have it bad? Imagine Charlie Morton when he finds out A5 doesn’t accept returns.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Well gently caress.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
I only saw Halladay pitch one time, on Opening Day in Toronto in 2009 against Justin Verlander. I was expecting the pitchers' duel to end all pitchers' duels.

They allowed a combined 13 ER, and the Blue Jays waxed the Tigers 12-5.

RIP Doc :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The NTSB is definitely gonna be under heavy scrutiny to figure out exactly what went wrong, which is gonna be more difficult without a black box.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC The A5 originally did plan to have a black box and flight recorder, but there was a huge uproar because people didn't want the company recording them in their private plane, so the idea was dumped.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

drat Roy Halladay always sounded like a nice rear end dude and I liked watching him pitch, which is obviously most important.

He was awesome.
https://twitter.com/RoyHalladay/status/780376390155833346

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I literally yelled "NO." I don't even know why it hit me so viscerally. It has to be the surprise factor. Dude was always one of my favorites.

Also that Johan/Doc comparison is... something else. Can we just compromise and say best RHP and LHP?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The NTSB is definitely gonna be under heavy scrutiny to figure out exactly what went wrong, which is gonna be more difficult without a black box.

The vast majority of small craft crashes don't ever get an official cause listed. This one's high-profile, but there's no chance it causes them to rethink their requirements, as it would require retrofitting expensive
and occasionally bulky equipment into decades of small craft that really don't have a lot of real estate to spare

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

The vast majority of small craft crashes don't ever get an official cause listed. This one's high-profile, but there's no chance it causes them to rethink their requirements, as it would require retrofitting expensive
and occasionally bulky equipment into decades of small craft that really don't have a lot of real estate to spare

https://twitter.com/RoyHalladay/status/925328575372423168

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A quick jolt of levity

https://twitter.com/thebig_fella/status/927979541582184451

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyHalladay/status/911218302185345024

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

God drat that first response.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

RIP Doc :smith:

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Roy was my favourite Bluejay. My volunteer club was inquiring with the Blue jays to do a Tribute to Roy sports celeb dinner. (fund raiser) this or next year. He was one athlete I would have really liked to have met.

Oh well. We'll still have some Blue Jays and we can still do a tribute to him. :smith:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/928009030785753089

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I need a loving drink.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/1gnePgnirednaW/status/928022312061845504

:thunk:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Stiev Awt posted:

I need a loving drink.

Seriously, I wish I could just take a Megabus down to Philly so I can mourn with people.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

what the gently caress is this lmao

Man with ironic thoughts and prayers twitter handle mad organization didnt offer thoughts and prayers quickly enough

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That plane topped out at about 100 mph. And it was also a boat. And there's only been about a dozen built so far.

So long, sinkerman. You had the best pitching mechanics this side of Nolan Ryan.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Paul Zuvella posted:

what the gently caress is this lmao

Man with ironic thoughts and prayers twitter handle mad organization didnt offer thoughts and prayers quickly enough

Hello I think you're critiquing a literal bot.

• Locked thread