Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lobsterpillar posted:

Not necessarily, there could be some other stable equilibrium reached. Probably as a result of some more combinations of shards, though. There's probably shard slashfic out there somewhere.

"Endowment-san, your shard is..."

"Hush, Devotion-chan, now is the time for Connection."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I can't wait! http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/oathbringer-spoiler-free-review-r350/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It starts with us finally seeing [REDACTED] go [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. Then it turns out [REDACTED] didn't [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED], but [REDACTED], and [REDACTED]. You get [REDACTED] and it's immediately time for [REDACTED], and it's this epic [REDACTED] right away. Oh, and not only is it [REDACTED] [REDACTED], but just [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED] is [REDACTED].

It turns out [REDACTED] was the [REDACTED] [REDACTED] was [REDACTED] to be [REDACTED], and for a moment you [REDACTED]. All in [REDACTED] [REDACTED] was so [REDACTED], and [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] makes [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. All the while, [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED] are in [REDACTED] (because of [REDACTED]) at [REDACTED], fighting [REDACTED] and trying to get [REDACTED], but the [REDACTED] refuses to [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] tries to get [REDACTED] to [REDACTED], but [REDACTED] keeps [REDACTED]. All the while there's [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. Oh also there are [REDACTED], because why not, clearly more needed to be happening.

But then, [REDACTED] (the actual chapter title), [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED].

[REDACTED] just [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED], or [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] faces [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], and it is so [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED], reaches [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED] to [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED], and they are [REDACTED] into the [REDACTED] and it's so freaking amazingly awesome. You see [REDACTED] and [REDACTED]. Oh, and that's just the first half of the avalanche because then [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED] [REDACTED] with [REDACTED] and it's just insane. The most intense thing ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cartoon Man posted:

It starts with us finally seeing [REDACTED] go [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. Then it turns out [REDACTED] didn't [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED], but [REDACTED], and [REDACTED]. You get [REDACTED] and it's immediately time for [REDACTED], and it's this epic [REDACTED] right away. Oh, and not only is it [REDACTED] [REDACTED], but just [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED] is [REDACTED].

It turns out [REDACTED] was the [REDACTED] [REDACTED] was [REDACTED] to be [REDACTED], and for a moment you [REDACTED]. All in [REDACTED] [REDACTED] was so [REDACTED], and [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] makes [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. All the while, [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED] are in [REDACTED] (because of [REDACTED]) at [REDACTED], fighting [REDACTED] and trying to get [REDACTED], but the [REDACTED] refuses to [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] tries to get [REDACTED] to [REDACTED], but [REDACTED] keeps [REDACTED]. All the while there's [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. Oh also there are [REDACTED], because why not, clearly more needed to be happening.

But then, [REDACTED] (the actual chapter title), [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED].

[REDACTED] just [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED], or [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] faces [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], and it is so [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED], reaches [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED] to [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED], and they are [REDACTED] into the [REDACTED] and it's so freaking amazingly awesome. You see [REDACTED] and [REDACTED]. Oh, and that's just the first half of the avalanche because then [redacted for swearing] [REDACTED] [REDACTED] with [REDACTED] and it's just insane. The most intense thing ever.

Wow I can't believe they spoiled that Hoid is actually a former vessel of Adonalsium like that in their review! :v:

I'd honestly be stunned if he wasn't directed connected to Adonalsium considering he seems to be trying to become a lesser version by collecting every investiture in the Cosmere, which would probably still make him no more of a threat to a Shard than any other non-Shard but godlike to everything else.

Probably going to binge this book next week as a nice break from playing Mario Odyssey.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wow I can't believe they spoiled that Hoid is actually a former vessel of Adonalsium like that in their review! :v:

I'd honestly be stunned if he wasn't directed connected to Adonalsium considering he seems to be trying to become a lesser version by collecting every investiture in the Cosmere, which would probably still make him no more of a threat to a Shard than any other non-Shard but godlike to everything else.

Probably going to binge this book next week as a nice break from playing Mario Odyssey.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was running a long racket involving collecting Connection via Investiture "flavors" to do...something.

Safe to say that his long game will remain inscrutable for another few years at least. We may get a glimpse by the end of SA book 5.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Final chapters of part 1 are up on tor, not too sure what to make of it.

It seems as if the Parshmen "Voidbringers" are similar to Humans in that only a very small % of them are able to become Odium radiants? Could possibly imply that Dalinars vision to "unite them" is also supposed to include the regular Parshmen and to break the cycle of hatred. Maybe the recreance happened when they somehow managed to remove the free will of the Parshman to leave them as slaves, and the radiants at the time couldn't live with themselves at the thought of what they had done to an entire race of people?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dravs posted:

It seems as if the Parshmen "Voidbringers" are similar to Humans in that only a very small % of them are able to become Odium radiants? Could possibly imply that Dalinars vision to "unite them" is also supposed to include the regular Parshmen and to break the cycle of hatred. Maybe the recreance happened when they somehow managed to remove the free will of the Parshman to leave them as slaves, and the radiants at the time couldn't live with themselves at the thought of what they had done to an entire race of people?

Well, the parshendi had zero problem converting every man woman and child into stormform that didn't actively refuse the transformation, so I don't think that's it. Odium is probably looking at the long term though--armies need to eat and get provisions. For that you need citizens/non soldiers. Plus the parshmen are all universally ignorant. They're effectively children; some level of crash-remedial education is required before they can become a viable army. Stormform offers many advantages, but it doesn't give skills for free.

Still, the actual voidbinding may be limited to a few. Not sure if that's a part of stormform or something beyond it. Keep in mind that the Listeners natively do something similar to a Nahel bond by interacting with a spren for changes, and the stormform/Odium forms seems to fuse a spren into them that leaves when they die. So the 'regular' stormform may or may not have access to void surges when they get charged from the Everstorm.

The Recreance notion is a good one though, and potentially likely. Also a possibility that Nale's philosophy infected the Radiants and they broke their Oaths to prevent a Desolation. Guess we'll see!

Also, JASNAH'S BACK!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Theory time: The named spren like ReShephir are some aspects of the former Radiants and freeing them like Shallan just did will turn out to be a good thing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I always thought Hoid was going to some day put together the Cosmere version of the Justice Leaugue.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cartoon Man posted:

I always thought Hoid was going to some day put together the Cosmere version of the Justice Leaugue.

I picture Hoid more like Lex Luthor. He's in it for his own goals, and understands that destroying everything runs counter productive to those goals. Allies, Powers, kingdoms to draw upon in the future. Even a Shardborn (Mistbearer?) can't fight a war without logistical support.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Outside of offering moral quandaries within stories to Kaladin, Hoid really hasn't done much of anything to actively help the protagonists of any setting. Even if you assume he can't physically get involved in conflicts, he has a lot of information that could have pointed the various heroes in the right direction at various points. He's playing his own game, whatever that may be. Presumably gaining access to various magic systems for himself and combining their effects to achieve something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Outside of offering moral quandaries within stories to Kaladin, Hoid really hasn't done much of anything to actively help the protagonists of any setting. Even if you assume he can't physically get involved in conflicts, he has a lot of information that could have pointed the various heroes in the right direction at various points. He's playing his own game, whatever that may be. Presumably gaining access to various magic systems for himself and combining their effects to achieve something.

There's probably an argument that the protagonists we've met have not reached the point where all the information Hoid may have for them would be anything but counterproductive. Jasnah seems to have a better idea of what's going on, and Hoid is freer around her with his information. And yet, Hoid has to some extent been a critical component of both Kaladin and Shallan recognizing and coming to terms with their past and surgebinding.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dravs posted:

Yes. The 'unite them' comment is all but certain to be a reference to uniting parshmen and the rest of humanity. It's something that would likely worry Odium enough to get him to agree to a contest of champions since he'd rather risk a loss that makes him wait another few millennia than risk a real, lasting defeat somehow.

Cartoon Man posted:

That group already exists.

Subvisual Haze posted:

The end of Bands of Mourning, where Wax taps in to the coin Hoid gave him and sees whose memory it recorded has likely helped the character in a pretty huge way and I'm sure we'll see it affect their actions in their next book.

Hoid's outright told someone (kaladin?) that he's not their friend and while it'd make him sad to do so he'd sacrifice the world if he had to. His actions are being done on a Cosmere-level which is why I think his end goal is along what I mentioned before. A world, or several, is a small price to pay if so.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dravs posted:

According to reddit "One last new chapter is coming on Monday, an audiobook preview. And of course we picked one sure to increase the hype even more."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

That group already exists.

17th shard ba-by!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Starting to get that "4 days left" anticipation. Good thing I have a lot of PCB design work to keep me busy!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I've got the audiobook on pre-order, that way it's a bit less jarring to re-read all the preview chapters.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Well if you're looking for something to fill the time before release date, 17th Shard just announced the launch of Arcanum:

https://wob.coppermind.net/

Otherwise...continue on nail biting after how that last set of preview chapters ended!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Leng posted:

Well if you're looking for something to fill the time before release date, 17th Shard just announced the launch of Arcanum:

https://wob.coppermind.net/

Otherwise...continue on nail biting after how that last set of preview chapters ended!

Oooh, updated QA!

Found this tidbit, good to know for the future and timeline of things:

quote:

Are we going to get a Jasnah book?

Brandon Sanderson
Lift, Renarin, Ash, Taln, and Jasnah are the back 5. Jasnah is book 8 right now, maybe book 10.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Lobsterpillar posted:

I've got the audiobook on pre-order, that way it's a bit less jarring to re-read all the preview chapters.

I haven't listened to any of the audiobooks for Sandersons books.

Are they James Marsters good or are they mediocre?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Local bookstore that is going out of business soon had this beauty on the shelf. Very enjoyable, but personally I found Words of Radiance a better book. Some of the characters felt a little flat or unpleasant and the story may be starting to strain from too many pov characters. Overall a very good read though.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Subvisual Haze posted:

Local bookstore that is going out of business soon had this beauty on the shelf. Very enjoyable, but personally I found Words of Radiance a better book. Some of the characters felt a little flat or unpleasant and the story may be starting to strain from too many pov characters. Overall a very good read though.

Please post all the spoilers you want (in spoiler tags, of course). I enjoy them.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Oooh, updated QA!

Who are the two left for the front five? Szeth and Adolin?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Please post all the spoilers you want (in spoiler tags, of course). I enjoy them.

Same

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006

So It Goes posted:

Szeth and Eshonai I think

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you are a Sanderson fan, I think it would be nice not to post spoilers before his book is officially released.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

So It Goes posted:

Found another quote

quote:

For those who don't know it is Dalinar's book. Each story, each novel in The Stormlight Archive delves into one of the main characters' backstories and catches you up how they got to their first chapters in the first book. So the first book was Kaladin, second book's Shallan, third book's Dalinar. Right now, fourth book is Eshonai, fifth book is Szeth. I could end up switching those two. But that's kind of how that works. And then, for those who don't know, The Stormlight Archive-- at the end of book five there will come to a conclusion, though it's not the main conclusion, it's the end of the arc. We will leave Roshar for a while while I write a few more books, and when we come back Roshar in-world will have passed about fifteen years. And then we will do the back five characters as I call them-- their backstories. So that's Lift, Jasnah, Taln, Renarin, and Ash-- yeah, Ash. There's two Heralds among that group, so you can kind of guess what those flashbacks will deal with, in the back five. The main characters of the first five, who survive, will still be a big part of those back five. So it's not a separate series, but I do consider it two separate arcs. We need to pass some time for some various reasons.

So uh, spoiler: eshonai survived the fall. I know, shocking twist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Oh hell yes.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

So uh, spoiler: eshonai survived the fall. I know, shocking twist.

There are other quotes I'm too lazy to find where Sanderson states that just because it's someones flashback book doesn't mean they're alive in that book. He's perfectly willing to show flashbacks for a dead character.

I mean I agree with you, she probably survived that fall but it's no guarantee just because she's going to get a book.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I should probably restrain myself from doing so. In the chapters immediately after those that have been posted online Sanderson kills off a character that actually made me put the book down for a solid minute out of sheer WHAT THE gently caress

My dumb generic thoughts regarding our main characters:

Dalinar - no surprise since this is his focus book, but his are the strongest sections by far. He offers insight into the lore of the world's past and the politics of present time, his flashbacks are well written and alternate well between past revelation and current impact as Dalinar's curse slowly unlocks his memories offering revelations to him simultaneously as to the reader. Dalinar does not disappoint, and his arc of coming to grip with the animal that he was perfectly sets up the final confrontation. His visions from the Stormfather also develop in extremely interesting directions.

Shallan - our second most featured character, and probably the one I was the most dissatisfied with. The much feared "love triangle" has minimal impact on the story. It is hinted at occasionally but doesn't distract from the main story much at all. I'm sure the shipper hoards online will be sad, but Thank God! What did surprise me though is where Sanderson takes Shallan's characters. Shallan essentially develops Hollywood-bullshit Multiple Personality Disorder. Not even the more vague (but still clinically controversial) Dissociative Identity Disorder, but she flat out has multiple distinct named personalities that disagree about things and she refers to her personalities in the 3rd person and goes through the utterly predictable "Which one is the real me!?" crap you can find in countless books/films/etc. This was especially grating in contrast to how realistically Sanderson displayed Kaladin's repeated struggles with depression or Shallan's previous trauma avoidance mechanisms.

Kaladin is pretty good, but a little flat compared to the first 2 books. This surprised me a lot because from my perspective his best scenes and the bulk of his character development occur in the chapters we've already had released online. Kal has plenty of action scenes, but pretty limited character growth. Mostly he acts as supporting character to others including a certain Cosmere crossover character who practically has a neon sign floating over his/her head proclaiming their true identity. Bridge 4 when they do appear (way too briefly) are absolutely amazing and you get fantastic POV chapters from almost all the major Bridge 4 members.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well now for realzies i have to avoid this thread for a week. Too much risk of mousing over the wrong spoilers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeroc2 posted:

There are other quotes I'm too lazy to find where Sanderson states that just because it's someones flashback book doesn't mean they're alive in that book. He's perfectly willing to show flashbacks for a dead character.

I mean I agree with you, she probably survived that fall but it's no guarantee just because she's going to get a book.

Having a whole book devoted to flashbacks in the main series would be awful.

Plus very few characters actually die in Sanderson books.

Well important characters.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven't listened to any of the audiobooks for Sandersons books.

Are they James Marsters good or are they mediocre?

Very they are done by the Michael Kramer/Kate Redding team where he reads male POVs and she reads female POVs, they pronounce some stuff differently but they are my favorite audiobook readers, they did Wheel of Time too and that came out fantastic.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

M_Gargantua posted:

Well now for realzies i have to avoid this thread for a week. Too much risk of mousing over the wrong spoilers.

Yep, me too, checking out until I'm done!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I'll post the first Epigraph Letter from Oathbringer since those are basically Easter Eggs anyways and only offer opaque clues about the Cosmere having no real impact on the story.

Dearest Cephandrius,

I received your communication, of course. I noticed its arrival immediately, just as I noticed your many intrusions into my land. You think yourself so clever, but my eyes are not those of some pretty noble, to be clouded by a false nose and some dirt on the cheeks.

You mustn't worry yourself about Rayse. It is a pity about Aona and Skai, but they were foolish-- violating our pact from the very beginning.

Your skills are admirable, but you are merely a man. You had your chance to be more, and refused it.

No good can come of two Shards settling in one location. It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement. As for Uli Da, it was obvious from the outset that she was going to be a problem. Good riddance.

Regardless this is not your concern. You turned your back on divinity. If Rayse becomes an issue, he will be dealt with.

And so will you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gonna clock out until I finish the book so I'll see you guys in a week.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna clock out until I finish the book so I'll see you guys in a week.

This but 3 weeks for me because I'm slow.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Oathbringer ebook is available to read, just bought it on google play books.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is my day off and I just got this. I haven't even read anything new, just browsing the chapter icons of the chapters previously revealed on Tor.com. Turns out there's a Hoid icon over one of those chapters, yet he's not showing up in the text! Sneaky of Tor to hide those symbols when they released the sample chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Ok I giggled through the Ellista interlude.