Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Was that the best or worst fight tonight? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

InfrastructureWeek posted:

Was that the best or worst fight tonight? :thunk:

It's 3.47am and now I can go to bed, best fight

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

can't wait til fury decisions wilder and ruins it all

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
UFC is a fuckin joke. This title fight was over during the time between two UFC title fights!

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

can't wait til fury decisions wilder and ruins it all

Only decision Fury is making is pie or pie and peas, or pie and peas and coke

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm glad boxing and ufc are working together to sync up so well tonight

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Did he call him A Juicin' J lol

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

yes lol

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So was there a backstory here as to why Wilder wanted to literally murder this man? Im a pretty casual observer

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Wilder had 3? fights fall through over the past year, so the only person that would face him was someone he already beat. That plus trash talking.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

So was there a backstory here as to why Wilder wanted to literally murder this man? Im a pretty casual observer

Stiverne was already handily beaten by Wilder years back. It was Wilder's biggest fight, but people still accused Wilder of not being legit because Stiverne looked bad in the fight. Wilder then had two consecutive fights scrapped by PED usage. At some point here a guy was supposed to beat Stiverne to become the mandatory for Wilder, but then popped for PED usage and the fight was canceled. After this, Stiverne somehow became the mandatory despite popping for PED usage himself along the way (the somehow was certainly corruption) Stiverne then took a lot of money from Wilder to not push his mandatory and allow him to make a fight with Ortiz. Ortiz then popped for PEDs and was removed from the fight, so Stiverne was pushed back in because he was the mandatory even though he already took a lot of money to not fight wilder. Throughout all this Wilder was criticized for not fighting quality opposition and this fight with Stiverne was met with similar disappointment. Wilder is upset about all this for a lot of reasons and wanted to take it out on Stiverne, who he blames for at least some of this.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Joshua's camp is going to come up with some bullshit to duck Wilder even though it should be a good fight and this is why boxing is so dumb sometimes

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Lionel Richie posted:

Fury talking to some Sky Sports reporter about being back in the ring by summer next year despite looking coked off his tits was a weird juxtaposition.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Joshua's camp is going to come up with some bullshit to duck Wilder even though it should be a good fight and this is why boxing is so dumb sometimes
Apparently unbeaten records are all that matters? Got to protect them even at the expense of good fights, money and the chance to make boxing suck slightly less.

Right now Wilder would probably beat Joshua imo so you're right to expect ducking. It's already started with the "come knock out Whyte instead" thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No chance in hell of Eddie Hearn putting his golden goose in danger.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Doubt Joshua's team are worried, if he can be drilled to slip Wlad's leaping left hook he can avoid the Wilder Windmill.

They're trying to make another Wembley event but they need Wilder to get his name out there, in America he's still getting overshadowed by tribal tatted cage fighters. He also refused a massive payday to fight Dillan Whyte for some unknown reason.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lionel Richie posted:

I always had Fury down as a Tizer man.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the wilder fight happens late next year they're just building it up now, starting with all this delay talk to make people go "good fight but it'll never happen" then wilder will fight whyte, maybe even somebody else in Britain and then they'll have their fight in wembley in September or October

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I'm not sure if the fight was fixed, or Stiverne was just looking for a paycheck, but that was a joke.

I imagine Whyte or Breazeale are next for Wilder, both of whom could beat Wilder. I'm hoping he doesn't get derailed before a fight with Joshua, but it could absolutely happen. Wilder is still basically the same awkward, flawed beanpole he was 20 fights ago.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lol if you really think whyte or even breazeale could beat Wilder.

Dude has his flaws, but he's very good and I feel like he fights to his opposition level.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Stiverne was already handily beaten by Wilder years back. It was Wilder's biggest fight, but people still accused Wilder of not being legit because Stiverne looked bad in the fight. Wilder then had two consecutive fights scrapped by PED usage. At some point here a guy was supposed to beat Stiverne to become the mandatory for Wilder, but then popped for PED usage and the fight was canceled. After this, Stiverne somehow became the mandatory despite popping for PED usage himself along the way (the somehow was certainly corruption) Stiverne then took a lot of money from Wilder to not push his mandatory and allow him to make a fight with Ortiz. Ortiz then popped for PEDs and was removed from the fight, so Stiverne was pushed back in because he was the mandatory even though he already took a lot of money to not fight wilder. Throughout all this Wilder was criticized for not fighting quality opposition and this fight with Stiverne was met with similar disappointment. Wilder is upset about all this for a lot of reasons and wanted to take it out on Stiverne, who he blames for at least some of this.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Josuke Higashikata posted:

No chance in hell of Eddie Hearn putting his golden goose in danger.

He put Tony Bellew in against a very dangerous heavy weight in David Haye, and it was an amazing fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

willie_dee posted:

He put Tony Bellew in against a very dangerous heavy weight in David Haye, and it was an amazing fight.

Hahaha no it wasn't it was bellew racing David Hayes body to see who could take out David Haye first and bellew lost. It was an embarrassing, excruciating spectacle unless you hate David Haye.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Dude has his flaws, but he's very good and I feel like he fights to his opposition level.

Yeah but Whyte and Breazeale would (presumably) not just show up to get rolled over.
Personally i'd actually kind of like to see Wilder against Takam just to see what he does but clearly he's either going up against Whyte or Breazeale next.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He was arguably losing to Gerald Washington before he stopped him, and he's been dropped by literal club fighters like Dustin Nichols and Harold Sconiers. He'd be the favourite over anyone in the division outside of Joshua, but he could absolutely lose to some inferior dude before he gets to a Joshua fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like measuring Wilder by whether he's winning rounds is not the way to tell whether he's winning the fight

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I dunno if Deontay is Legitimately Elite or not but I do know I enjoy watching a man enter the ring with murder in his heart.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Marching Powder posted:

Hahaha no it wasn't it was bellew racing David Hayes body to see who could take out David Haye first and bellew lost. It was an embarrassing, excruciating spectacle unless you hate David Haye.

It was an intense race all the same, not many people go up to Heavy Weight against respected HW contenders and survive just over personal beef.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

willie_dee posted:

the steroids have rotted your brain something fierce m8

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Bellew isn't even in the same universe as Joshua when it comes to box office value.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I was emotionally invested in that fight. I really enjoyed it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Lionel Richie posted:

Oh look, Shawn Porter. I can't recall seeing Granados before but it's Porter so I suppose this'll be something crude

I was listening to the Sundaypuncher podcast and the British guy they had on was making GBS threads on Porter too. I'm not the biggest fan of his style but drat what do ya'll (the British) have against him?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I said golden goose not spray painted pigeon

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

I was listening to the Sundaypuncher podcast and the British guy they had on was making GBS threads on Porter too. I'm not the biggest fan of his style but drat what do ya'll (the British) have against him?

I don't think it's just a British thing. A lot of people don't like his style because it's a little ugly with him smothering his own work and constantly bumrushing in with his head down.

I think he seems like a pretty decent guy (his dad is a bit of a tool though) so I don't really have a problem with it, but I can see why some would.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm no connoisseur but I watched the last few Wilder fights and he just doesn't look like a professional boxer to me. His punches look like schoolyard garbage.

Again when people say Joshua is slow I also don't get it. He looks quite quick and light on his toes and can put in a pretty fast combination.

Buuut I'm British so maybe I'm just being a homer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm no connoisseur but I watched the last few Wilder fights and he just doesn't look like a professional boxer to me. His punches look like schoolyard garbage.

Again when people say Joshua is slow I also don't get it. He looks quite quick and light on his toes and can put in a pretty fast combination.

Buuut I'm British so maybe I'm just being a homer.

I think Wilder's straight rights are long and smooth and beautiful.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Wait people say Joshua is slow? Like with his footwork or his hands or...? Because like the second most impressive thing about the uppercut he hit Klitschko with (first most being that Wlad survived it) is how quick and accurate the whole exchange was.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
There used to be some criticism that Joshua was a stiff, robotic "manufactured" boxer a la Frank Bruno but the Wlad fight dispelled most of that.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Wilder seems to have paid lip service to the prospect of fighting Whyte to set up a fight with Joshua. "I'll only fight a peasant if the king is behind him" or whatever.

I don't really know anything about Parker other than that he won unconvincingly against Hughie Fury. Have he and Wilder ever expressed any interest in fighting each other? Would Wilder or Joshua murder him?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Still B.A.E posted:

Would Wilder or Joshua murder him?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/anthonyfjoshua/status/928549795802869761