Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny that things that used to be marks of poverty are now bourgie stuff. Chicory coffee, raw sugar, brown rice, leather clothes, and so on.

Chicory coffee (just coffee cut with chicory) is still the cheap poo poo in New Orleans grocery stores today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Would this be replicable with MRE beverage powder and the aforementioned 180 proof alcohol?

Only if you stole the alcohol from a German first.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Isn't that how WW1 started?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

chitoryu12 posted:

Stuff about grog

A thing I love is that while the Royal Navy ended the daily ration of rum in 1970 but there is still an order that can be given to issue a measure of booze to the sailors on certain occaisons: Splice the mainbrace! recently issued fleet-wide by Queen Elizabeth in 2012.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are there any other drinks that I could try and simulate or brew up on my own from military history? Torpedo juice is easy as hell since it's just alcohol of a certain purity and pineapple juice to cut down some of the burn.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Check out whatever is on JAS Townsend and son in the drink category

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Check out whatever is on JAS Townsend and son in the drink category

I would do so much more historical cooking if I didn't have so many problems with our kitchen. We only have one burner working on the stove, our sink is leaky, and our dishwasher is broken.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I found some excerpts detailing the many ways Soviet soldiers in Afghanistan tried desperately to get drunk.

quote:

Regulations permitted two bottles of spirits and four of wine but unlimited beer, and so beer bottles were emptied, filled with vodka and imported in some quantity. Apart from this there was shaving lotion and cologne, antifreeze and toothpaste, glue and brake fluid (heated up, for preference, 'with some nails in it'). And then there was shoe polish, smeared on a piece of bread and left out in the sun until the alcohol had separated off and could be consumed.

At a certain point, you need to realize that you've got a problem. Fermenting shoe polish is probably that point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
After I heard an NPR story about Russian men drinking perfume to get drunk, I thought Russian alcoholism had lost its ability to shock me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Townsends haven't yet covered spruce beer to my knowledge. I'll be brewing some when the new spruce growth comes on, though, so if this dear thread is still unarchived, I'll post a trip report. I didn't realize it was related to military rations...

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny that things that used to be marks of poverty are now bourgie stuff. Chicory coffee, raw sugar, brown rice, leather clothes, and so on.

See also: street tacos (particularly lengua)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Tin cans...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-06/tiffany-s-foray-into-everyday-objects-includes-1-000-tin-can

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is only one accurate grog recipe, as passed on by the Three Pirate Leaders.

Kerosene, Propylene Glycol, Artificial Sweeteners, Sulfuric Acid, Rum, Acetone, Battery Acid, red dye#2, Scumm, Axle grease and/or pepperoni.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing that drink has no much water so the soldiers don't get dehydrated

if they got snuck up on they'd be hosed because they'd be probably too busy pissing

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

There is only one accurate grog recipe, as passed on by the Three Pirate Leaders.

Kerosene, Propylene Glycol, Artificial Sweeteners, Sulfuric Acid, Rum, Acetone, Battery Acid, red dye#2, Scumm, Axle grease and/or pepperoni.

But definitely on the pepperoni. It adds a certain subtle piquancy AND provides something to chew on whilst drinking!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The brewery I work at is doing a beer with spruce in it, does that count?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bowmore posted:

I'm guessing that drink has no much water so the soldiers don't get dehydrated

if they got snuck up on they'd be hosed because they'd be probably too busy pissing

Well, grog was a naval ration. I don't know about British soldiers, but American soldiers in the 18th and 19th century mostly drank stuff like spruce beer, ginger beer, regular beer, and coffee.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I found an article on the subject military drinks throughout history :
Drink!
I'm looking forward to your notes on posca.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I found an article on the subject military drinks throughout history :
Drink!
I'm looking forward to your notes on posca.

Awesome! Thanks!

I've read about posca before. I think the challenge is finding a suitable wine so I'm not just trying to drink adulterated vinegar. I wonder if I could get the wine to sour on its own?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I think you'd get a good result by just adding vinegar to cheap wine.
They probably didn't have a standard for sour wine so it would range from slightly sour to near vinegar.
E: If you wish to sour your own wine.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 7, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's at least one Canadian brewery that makes a spruce beer.

As for chicory in coffee, I heard of it though this 1942 Life article on coffee rationing.

Coffee came from south America, and the 1942 U-boat offensive against the USA put a pinch on shipping, so coffee was rationed.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

I work for a brewery, too. Spruce doesn't really grow on the eastern side of the Sierras, where we are, so we made a pine tip saison. It was interesting. Went lactic pretty quickly but that was because our brewers don't quite understand that you need to heat things up to kill off bacteria. They just made a tea of the tips and dumped it into the fermenter; it obviously wasn't hot enough long enough. We've corrected this but haven't tried a pine tip beer again.

We also stuffed a full branch off a pine tree into the kettle once. I need to see if we have pictures of that anywhere.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

skrapp mettle posted:

I work for a brewery, too. Spruce doesn't really grow on the eastern side of the Sierras, where we are, so we made a pine tip saison. It was interesting. Went lactic pretty quickly but that was because our brewers don't quite understand that you need to heat things up to kill off bacteria. They just made a tea of the tips and dumped it into the fermenter; it obviously wasn't hot enough long enough. We've corrected this but haven't tried a pine tip beer again.

We also stuffed a full branch off a pine tree into the kettle once. I need to see if we have pictures of that anywhere.

How in god's name do you rise to the level of a professional brewer and not realize that killing the bacteria via heat is kinda the reason beer was safe to drink when the water was bad?!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

We just dump spruce tips into the kettle in giant tea bags.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

How in god's name do you rise to the level of a professional brewer and not realize that killing the bacteria via heat is kinda the reason beer was safe to drink when the water was bad?!

It's actually the pH drop, anaerobic environment, and alcohol that keep things from growing in the finished beer. Hops are antimicrobial, too. It's difficult to get certain lactic bacteria (wanted ones) growing in beer that's over 18 IBUs, if you're trying to make a berlinerweiss or something like that.

Most of our actual brewers are "special" in my mind. No formal schooling, just brought on off the bottling line. Our lab guy has a PhD and I have a degree in biology but both of us work in the production brewery so the guys are our satellite brewpubs do some things that baffle me.

How about milk punch? Looks like you're going to make cheese, then you strain out the curds and drink the boozey whey. From 1711. Doubt it's military though.

https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/mary-rocketts-milk-punch

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not strictly military food, Famine food is rather interesting.
Would you consider eating Bark bread?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's at least one Canadian brewery that makes a spruce beer.

As for chicory in coffee, I heard of it though this 1942 Life article on coffee rationing.

Coffee came from south America, and the 1942 U-boat offensive against the USA put a pinch on shipping, so coffee was rationed.

Chicory coffee reminds me of Mark Twain's thoughts on the quality of German coffee.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Repro Rations (which is otherwise just commercial food given period labels so you can get away with it during a reenactment) has a story about German coffee in World War I.

quote:

This information comes from Rudi, a new friend who is a German presently living in France.

Rudi’s granddad, Alfons, fought for Germany in WW1 and survived, and in the 1950’s he shared his memories with Rudi.
Old Alfons described the appalling conditions in the trenches of WW1. Food, getting fed and feeding his men was a major issue for Alfons, who was a Hauptmann. Getting the food was one thing, preparing it another. And if "rations" theoretically existed, they were rarely issued as such. Adolf Hitler himself won a medal as a food carrier / message carrier on foot, dragging insulated containers of prepared meals to the men in the front lines. The food was usually cold when or if it ever got there. And food carriers were a prime target for French snipers.

Coffee was a much prized commodity. One day Alfons told Rudi how they brewed coffee in the trenches, in 20 easy steps: (This comes directly from Alfons’s diary.)

1. Send request to higher echelon, stating that the company did not have any coffee for 3 weeks.
2. Get answer, stating that coffee will be included in next main food distribution.
3. Get four 10-litre insulated canisters of brewed coffee, 2 weeks later, cold and stale, since canisters were on a cart that got hit by an artillery shell underway and were only retrieved after two weeks and then brought to the front line.
4. Try to stay polite while requesting 5 Kg of DRY coffee and send request.
5. Get big, new, wax-sealed tin can containing 25 Kg of freshly roasted coffee.
6. Open can and find whole beans.
7. Say something that cannot be printed.
8. Tell men who are off-duty to find one or two coffee grinders.
9. Ignore demeaning remarks from men who have been 5 weeks in the same wet mudhole called a "trench" and not replaced by fresh troops because totally cut off and cannot go anywhere.
10. Briefly think of possibilties of using a machine gun to grind coffee. Decide it would not be a very good idea although there is plenty of ammunition.
11. Sigh.
12. Notice that single French / Senegalese black P.O.W. (who is also stuck in the same hole) is laughing his head off since he noticed that the German Army is not capable of grinding coffee.
13. Ignore Senegalese stupid remarks about village women doing a better job in Senegal and without a coffee grinder.
14. Suppress urge to shoot P.O.W. and put pistol back into holster.
15. Ask P.O.W. how Senegalese women would do it.
16. Get four men to "get and clean that large piece of 380 mm artillery shell fragment that is lying somewhere over there".
17. Tell two men to clear their rifles and carefully clean the butts.
18. Pour 5 Kg of coffee beans in mortar-like shell fragment and tell the men with the clean rifle butts to use the rifles as pestles and grind the coffee, African-housewife style.
19. Have ground coffee distributed to all men of unit who have not died laughing and tell them to do with it whatever they like, avoiding remarks about sunshine.
20. Toss cup at Lt. Muller and tell him to brew coffee.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

gently caress me sideways, crushing 25 kg of coffee beans with rifles sounds horrible.
But probably less so than sitting in a cold mudhole for loving months without even the pleasure of a hot beverage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Not strictly military food, Famine food is rather interesting.
Would you consider eating Bark bread?
If I was starving on the front, sure. Lots of soldiers over the centuries have had to make do with tree bark. Kim Il Sung ate tree bark while he was fighting the Japanese, and now North Koreans eat tree bark just because North Korea sucks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My grandmother told me about how she made "coffee" from acorns during the war.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

My grandmother told me about how she made "coffee" from acorns during the war.

This was a thing in Europe during WW2 as well - I can't imagine it had caffeine so I'm almost not sure why people bothered

In western Canada they sell a Polish coffee replacement made from chicory and beet root. It's not bad, though you can detect the beet flavor

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

This was a thing in Europe during WW2 as well - I can't imagine it had caffeine so I'm almost not sure why people bothered

In western Canada they sell a Polish coffee replacement made from chicory and beet root. It's not bad, though you can detect the beet flavor

I think it really was a placebo effect thing. Even if they couldn't get caffeine, they would at least be able to have a hot drink and pretend that they had coffee with some wishful thinking. As it was put in The Southern Banner in 1865:

quote:

For the stimulating property to which both tea and coffee owe their chief value, there is unfortunately no substitute; the best we can do is to dilute the little stocks which still remain, and cheat the palate, if we cannot deceive the nerves.

Also I got an assistant for the torpedo juice project. She's assisting me by helping me drink it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

They bothered because there was nutrients in it. She was in the bad part of Europe to be in during the war.

As for beet, I had a fruity tea blend with beets in it recently, and while it didn't taste much like beets, it didn't taste much like tea either.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nebakenezzer posted:

As for chicory in coffee, I heard of it though this

They still sell it today, although it's no longer really any cheaper than just more coffee. From a shopping trip earlier today:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm most familiar with chicory coffee through the brand cafe du monde. It's still a thing in Louisiana and I saw it now and then in Tennessee.

My understanding is that It grew in popularity during the civil war thanks to shortages and general poverty, but it's been a thing since probably around the seventeenth or eighteenth century, when Germany had to import nearly all its coffee from the Dutch (and thereby lost silver or gold in trade), and chicory coffee was promoted as a substitute. The French also experienced issues with coffee supplies being adulterated with roasted ground chicory root, too, so it wasn't always a matter of shortages or being broke.

There are some powder coffee replacements I've seen that also use roasted grains and dandelion root rather than chicory. Haven't tried it. I do like the bitter coffee taste, though, so I can see why a caffeine free alternative might appeal to some folks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

All this coffee substitute chat reminded me of Postum, which I haven't thought about in years --- and the last time I was reminded of it, it was reading Roger Ebert's lament that it was no longer being made. So it was a case of:
"Hey remember this thing?"
"Holy poo poo, yeah, boy could I go for----"
"Well it's no longer made, sucks to be you."
"gently caress."
...all in the span of one sentence

I decided to look it up, to see just what exactly Postum was made from*, and oh holky gently caress, they started making it again :woop:

Postum was made by CW Post at the turn of the century as a healthy alternative to coffee, but got real popular during WW2 thanks to rationing. (So, this isn't a total derail!) I guess as folks of my grandpa's generation died off, so did sales, but apparently there are enough Postum lovers to have convinced a company to start making it again.

If anyone's in North Carolina by an Ingles Markets, they appear to be the only retailer carrying it. I can order off their website, but just curious if it'd be cheaper to get it goon shipped (a jar comes to $18+, shipped)

Anyways, thank you thread, for inadvertently notifying me that Postum lives again.

*Roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. It tastes nothing like coffee, it's...its own thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

All this coffee substitute chat reminded me of Postum, which I haven't thought about in years --- and the last time I was reminded of it, it was reading Roger Ebert's lament that it was no longer being made. So it was a case of:
"Hey remember this thing?"
"Holy poo poo, yeah, boy could I go for----"
"Well it's no longer made, sucks to be you."
"gently caress."
...all in the span of one sentence

I decided to look it up, to see just what exactly Postum was made from*, and oh holky gently caress, they started making it again :woop:

Postum was made by CW Post at the turn of the century as a healthy alternative to coffee, but got real popular during WW2 thanks to rationing. (So, this isn't a total derail!) I guess as folks of my grandpa's generation died off, so did sales, but apparently there are enough Postum lovers to have convinced a company to start making it again.

If anyone's in North Carolina by an Ingles Markets, they appear to be the only retailer carrying it. I can order off their website, but just curious if it'd be cheaper to get it goon shipped (a jar comes to $18+, shipped)

Anyways, thank you thread, for inadvertently notifying me that Postum lives again.

*Roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. It tastes nothing like coffee, it's...its own thing.

What's the smallest size of Postum for sale? It would be interesting to bring it to work, where we have a coffee maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It sounds like the beverage equivalent of sitting down to a hearty dinner of brown pegboard.

• Locked thread