Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I don't like Elite, Tippis.

Toops fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tooterfish posted:

Star Citizen is doing a pretty good job of killing Ben.

Jesus, how many jpegs did he eat?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a good post and true. Nothing against homeworld actually, but god drat space games suck.

I’ve enjoyed some space games before.

I liked Starflight and Star Control 2.

Stellaris is pretty neat but I haven’t sunk hours into learning it very well.

X Wing was neat and you know what, so was Wing Commander and Freespace.

I got a kick out of Independence War 1 and 2 but never got more than like a mission in before I knew this wasn’t going to work well for me.

I think the big problem is just space games aren’t great in this modern era. We still get an occasional Mass Effect and Dead Space, but they are just set in space rather than being something like “a space game”.

Nothing against Elite, but it was boring back in the day and I played it briefly before as its newer incarnation and they managed to really capture that deja vu sense of it being boring still, only now it’s pretty and boring (pretty boring?).

Hellion was the sleeper hit that apparently people played for like 4 days.

I think space is just kind of dull. I’d like to see something like Star Citizen because it’s a new take on it by intermixing personal interaction into the space ships, but I doubt CIG will even get as far as Elite, and be 42 times more broken and shallow.

But the potential is there. Maybe.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I'm finding Destiny 2 to be pretty cool in a halo sort of way.

I reckon it'll get pretty stale quick though. They're releasing an expansion on Dec 5th though so that should provide a few more hours of entertainment.

Strikes are fun.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops posted:

I don't care for the SAW franchise, personally. I just think that's going a little too far, ya know?

edit: I'm talking about the violence in the SAW movies, not whatever you were talking about. I've learned that I have to be very specific with you, and you know what? That's ok!

the saw franchise started pretty bad but around saw 6 it really starts to get good

this is not a joke post

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

SomethingJones posted:

It's great with the wheel, I have one of the cheaper Thrustmaster T150 wheels and it's actually the only racing sim that I haven't had to spend hours tweaking wheel settings to get it feeling right - literally changed 2 settings on my first play and haven't had to touch them since.

fuuuck back to ebay then for me.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Serious question. Should I buy Elite on ps4 if I ever see it on sale? I think space games are stupid, but I traded the poo poo out of space drugs in the 1st star system of Rebel Galaxy before getting bored. I also played No Man's Sky for however long it takes to create 100 Stimpire themed star systems. So maybe it'd be fun for like 30-60 hours before I realize space is boring and I'm wasting my life?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

also I think you'll find I called Star Citizen failing way back in 136ad, when I beheld the prophecy of chris roberts saving pc gaming, illuminated by the virgin moon

As an Egyptian slave building the pyramids at the time, I’d like to ensure everybody this story is true. In fact one day while we were hauling giant sand stone blocks that were about 1 cubit by 1 cubit, we had a sweaty conversation about just this thing.

“Hol, nigh sumpter delis, TheAgent!” I chortled happily as my bloody fingers curled around more sandstone cargo.

“Dey bous, The Titanic! Velis navgat fortho jepradihgmn!” He proclaimed, literally calling it at that time.

“Dans sept nar rona reshi!” I said, pointing to the sun for surely the gods had looked crossly upon him today! Surely lightning was about to strike him down!

“Io neg! Flesthi grotha bo rava!” TheAgent said triumphantly!

Why I never, and right there we all dropped out cargo sandstones and just dropped to our knees. Even today I still remember our chanting, “Blog! Blog! Blog! July! Blog! Blog! July!” All night long into the next day, until we were whipped and shown the inevitable result of such heresy as we were beaten most violently over the hard stones. But by Anubis it was called!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Baxta posted:

I'm finding Destiny 2 to be pretty cool in a halo sort of way.

I reckon it'll get pretty stale quick though. They're releasing an expansion on Dec 5th though so that should provide a few more hours of entertainment.

Strikes are fun.

I really like the core the gunplay a lot, but I bounced right off the campaign. Once I figured out that all loot just auto-scales with your level and class, and stats are not really a thing at all, that ruined itemization for me. Now I mainly use it to practice my flick shots so I can climb up those heralded PUBG ladders.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

MilesK posted:

Serious question. Should I buy Elite on ps4 if I ever see it on sale? I think space games are stupid, but I traded the poo poo out of space drugs in the 1st star system of Rebel Galaxy before getting bored. I also played No Man's Sky for however long it takes to create 100 Stimpire themed star systems. So maybe it'd be fun for like 30-60 hours before I realize space is boring and I'm wasting my life?

Yes, just don't take it seriously.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MilesK posted:

If the sale is 100% off, still no.

It's only free if your time is worthless.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is probably the best thing.

The level of loving absurd for this stupid tech demo never ceases to amaze me. :allears:

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Not the head surgeon but I was on the team that was trying to figure out ways to get extra bariatric surgeries performed at our hospital. We have big ad campaigns and everything and are competing with the hospital across the river to get their business. Its how it works. Maybe in Canada or the UK they'll do everything in their power to avoid giving treatment (because they get the same funding no matter what) but its the literal opposite in the US. Because the amount of money we get depends on how much work we do and how well we do it (so they come back).

NHS

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

It's just really difficult to even try explaining just how much of a non-game E:D is. At least skinner boxes reward you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/928039691861004288
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/927681324965662720
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/927648363184640001

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

MilesK posted:

If you think space games are dumb but also want to sit in a vehicle and drive around to look at neato stuff I'd probably push you towards Subnautica. Assuming you don't care about multiplayer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

I agree crunch sucks, but I'm gonna throw a little wrinkle in the hard line. I've worked for a couple different "mature" start ups (20-100 ppl) that went too far the other way. They were so adamant about "work life balance," "no heroics," "keg beer and xbox at 3pm," and "no crunch" that in each case, the culture became pretty half-assed. I come from the old school, where you work until the work is done. That means some 10-12 hour days if you're up against a deadline. That means refactoring over the weekend sometimes because you care enough to do that extra bit. That means some long nights if your deployment went fucky.

So there's a balance. Obviously CIG's perpetual crunch is inhumane and ultimately worse for the end product than 40hr work weeks. But I'm a strong believer that if you show up, do your 40, and peace out, you're not serious about your career, and you'll always just kinda scrape by. Now, that may be all you're looking for, and that's totally fine.

In my game industry days, I was involved in some crunch, but it was at run up to gold master, and drat if I didn't feel alive. But I was young and bored, and they only lasted around 4-6 weeks.

I agree. This is the sort of environment I gravitate towards as well. There is the line between “death to my employees because I have another idea I need asap! Again!” and “dude, let’s just stop now because tomorrow is another day and I don’t want anybody to be stressed.”

I like some stress, but it has to be realistic. I’m kind of management so I tend to enforce the occasional crunches, but they have a firm reason and a clear end point, and I don’t have one every single month for the next great idea. I feel like these environments are healthy, and keeps people motivated to complete tasks without getting lax, but also doesn’t let people play on twitter all day. Sometimes they can; because work is rarely 24/7 constantly, but it tends to be pretty active.

I’ve never worked in game software development though, so I’ve probably avoided the worst of it all and the real horror stories.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Toops posted:

I really like the core the gunplay a lot, but I bounced right off the campaign. Once I figured out that all loot just auto-scales with your level and class, and stats are not really a thing at all, that ruined itemization for me. Now I mainly use it to practice my flick shots so I can climb up those heralded PUBG ladders.

Yeah they need to flesh out itemization a lot. I personally don't like PVP that much so replayability is going to be non-existent for me unless they get their poo poo together with items.

If you liked D2 by the way, play Path of Exile. Its free to play and amazeballs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/927996335881703424
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/928015241056870401

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the epitome of success

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Toops posted:

I don't like Elite, Tippis.

Sorry Toopsie, I like Elite Dangerous too!
But I am looking forward to a ToopsRant of Assassin's Creed:Origins before I buy it

:D

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

the epitome of success

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I see somebody is working real hard in getting enough material to get a degree in irony! I hear it’s from Sandis alma matter where she wrote a dissertation about “International Marketing”. I hope his upcoming works will be just as influential!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Don’t hate Roger Wilco. It’s been a while since he’s been in a game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The transition to $160,000,000 3D models did him well!

Other than the fact he looks like he’s using semen as mascara.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:laffo:
:five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

He's saying Dick Weed

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
He's saying 'hey' dick weed :colbert:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thoatse posted:

He's saying 'hey' dick weed :colbert:

:vince:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dusty Lens posted:

First sentence suggests he is the head surgeon patient inmate

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 8, 2017

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Don’t hate Roger Wilco. It’s been a while since he’s been in a game.

The Titanic posted:

The transition to $160,000,000 3D models did him well!

Other than the fact he looks like he’s using semen as mascara.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipocere

Goosfraba fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 8, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

the epitome of success

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I’ve enjoyed some space games before.

I liked Starflight and Star Control 2.
But did you like Starflight 2

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dogeh posted:

Sorry Toopsie, I like Elite Dangerous too!
But I am looking forward to a ToopsRant of Assassin's Creed:Origins before I buy it

:D

It's ok Dogeh, I don't actually think you should hit yourself in the face with a dinner plate for liking Elite. Braben deserves to break even for his sprawling tone poem on crippling depression.

I haven't bought Assassin's Witcher Threed: Original Gameplay Good Job! yet, but I typically hate 3rd person single-player branching narrative games, and I heard every item can be purchased at "the store" for real money, so get pumped for that rant. I know I am.

One quick youtube search and screenshot yielded this shining jewel of dialogue which, were it whispered from his mourning room, would set the bones of Eliot to tremble in their tomb:

"A pigeon arrived not long ago. I sent Ruia to fetch it, but she is so unreliable. Probably"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cursed ruia, when shall she return with yonder pigeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Titanic posted:

As an Egyptian slave building the pyramids at the time,
Evidence is that the pyramids weren't built with slave labour :colbert: