Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is like boycotting computers because they have parts made in China.

We just had someone in the monitor thread looking for a monitor that wasn't made in china... good luck with that, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

I thought some monitors were made in S Korea like those QNIX and Crossover? My info is old, I haven't been monitor shopping in a few years.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Paul MaudDib posted:

We just had someone in the monitor thread looking for a monitor that wasn't made in china... good luck with that, pal.

To be fair, I have tried before to put together a comedy shopping list of components with as many mentions of the word "Japanese" as possible. Japanese solid capacitors, Japanese SECC steel case, that one $1000 Cooler Master Made in Japan power supply engineered by Murata, etc.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
You see, these clearly ethical shining stars will sleep better at night using labelled MADE IN AMUIRCA products proudly assembled in Trumpreich with 100% China imported components and paying tons more to get the same end.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you don't want your money going to big corporations, just buy all your poo poo used? :shrug:

I mean, yeah, no ethical consumption under capitalism etc. but it's the best you got, I think.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

taqueso posted:

I thought some monitors were made in S Korea like those QNIX and Crossover? My info is old, I haven't been monitor shopping in a few years.

Yes there are a bunch of cheap, high quality, no-frills Korean monitors, panels and major components manufactured and assembled in Korea. However its not like that will mean they don't have any parts manufactured in China in them: capacitors, etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Eletriarnation posted:

If you don't want your money going to big corporations, just buy all your poo poo used? :shrug:

I mean, yeah, no ethical consumption under capitalism etc. but it's the best you got, I think.

If you want to go that way you need to buy virtually valueless stuff. If you pay top dollar for someones 2 year old Macbook Pro you're just subsidising their next one.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The only ethically made computer is an abacus made from repurposed drift wood.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

FaustianQ posted:

The only ethically made computer is an abacus made from repurposed drift wood.

Depends. What country is that wood from? I wouldn't want any blood wood.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Semiaccurate weighs in on AMD + Intel: https://semiaccurate.com/2017/11/06/intel-gpus-officially-dont-work-amd-rescue/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

haha never change Charlie, never change

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12017/intel-to-develop-discrete-gpus-hires-raja-koduri-as-chief-architect

quote:

On Monday, Intel announced that it had penned a deal with AMD to have the latter provide a discrete GPU to be integrated onto a future Intel SoC. On Tuesday, AMD announced that their chief GPU architect, Raja Koduri, was leaving the company. Now today the saga continues, as Intel is announcing that they have hired Raja Koduri to serve as their own GPU chief architect. And Raja's task will not be a small one; with his hire, Intel will be developing their own high-end discrete GPUs.

Starting from the top and following yesterday’s formal resignation from AMD, Raja Koduri has jumped ship to Intel, where he will be serving as a Senior VP for the company, overseeing the new Core and Visual Computing group. As a chief architect and general manager, Intel is tasking Raja with significantly expanding their GPU business, particularly as the company re-enters the discrete GPU field. Raja of course has a long history in the GPU space as a leader in GPU architecture, serving as the manager of AMD’s graphics business twice, and in between AMD stints serving as the director of graphics architecture on Apple’s GPU team.
:captainpop:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Look man if I am stuck in this dumpster fire reality made only of the wrong choices on the probability tree I demand it at least entertain me.
*monkey's paw wiggles, goes limp*

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

LMBO, I guess this will prove what was holding RTG back in about...2-3 years? That's the usual bring up time for a GPU uarch. Like, the earliest this has any impact is January-March 2019, and that's with basically the current gen uarch Intel has.

LMBO if they only want him to just scale up Gen8 and put it on PCB.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We truly are in the comedy timeline.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FaustianQ posted:

LMBO, I guess this will prove what was holding RTG back in about...2-3 years? That's the usual bring up time for a GPU uarch. Like, the earliest this has any impact is January-March 2019, and that's with basically the current gen uarch Intel has.

LMBO if they only want him to just scale up Gen8 and put it on PCB.

if they're doing a clean sheet design with the fab advantage Intel taditionally has, and a good working idea of what needs doing with a new Vulkan/DX12 design, I could see it being pretty compelling. Most likely a dumpster fire, but still.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

...wow. Okay. So, um.

How is Raja doing this without breaking some kind of noncompete?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...wow. Okay. So, um.

Pretty sure they’re just there to scare people and aren’t really enforceable? Stealing IP/proprietary/confidential information and using them can be tough to prove. Or it could be that Lisa cut him a deal when she said to GTFO? Could be anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Non competes are not inforcable iirc

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

There has to be a lot going down right now between AMD and Intel right now. Like WTF.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So are we back to being sour on Intel or nah.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh yeah that’s the good good. Advanced Memeing Devices.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Imagine the darkest timeline where AMD just says gently caress It and sells their GPU division to Intel and CPU division to Nvidia.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nvidia wouldn't get x86 so there would be no point.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This feels like the inevitability of AMD buying ATI instead of NVidia many years ago.

Intel wasn’t going to struggle along with their own effort to bootstrap a graphics platform for too many years, and it’s cheaper to bring AMD into submission than it is to buy NVidia at this point.

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia wouldn't get x86 so there would be no point.

Goodbye amd64.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
HP has their Raven Ridge Envy x360 up for ordering now. http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1

I assume these don't have any HBM and rely on system RAM for the GPU?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Edit I'm wrong. Both parties agreement is terminated if one is sold.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, but there are obviously legal ways around this.

For example, AMD could enter an agreement with Nvidia which would convert AMD into largely a holding company, and Nvidia would "make" x86 processors, but the actual production would be carried out or farmed out to Glofo/TSMC by the shell of the company that was formerly known as AMD.

But the branding would be all Nvidia.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

It also means Intel can't make 64bit chip since AMD holds the license on the 64bit extension.

And with multiple anti-Trust ruling against it in North America and Europe Intel would have to be dumb as gently caress to play hardball with the x86 license.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

3peat posted:

Guys.... GUYS!!...

Buy AMD rig.

'gaza's leaders are its people's worst enemy'

not the israeli military restricting freedom of movement and trade, blockading, bombing, killing civilians etc? what a oval office

taqueso posted:

if it's possible for you to not give money to a supply chain that subsists on slavery and violent death it's probably a good idea though, if you have that luxury. that being said electronics production is so endemically problematic at low levels and so integral to our lives that you'd be hard pressed to even make the choice to boycott it.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...wow. Okay. So, um.

the 'sabattical' was probably to fulfil some gardening leave contract cause RE noncompetes, and they're probably giving intel a fair amount of info about their gpus anyway with the upcoming collab thing?

that or there's a contract a mile long saying what he can't talk about

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 9, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Monk posted:

what a oval office

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Prescription Combs posted:

HP has their Raven Ridge Envy x360 up for ordering now. http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1

I assume these don't have any HBM and rely on system RAM for the GPU?

quote:

AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Cor

:allears:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A Quad-Cor Platfrom if you will.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FaustianQ posted:

A Quad-Cor Platfrom if you will.

Everyone always forgets the brother

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Non competes are not inforcable iirc

Oh cool based on your recollection we can all start violating our non competes, no matter the jurisdiction or structure of the agreement.

If I ask an undercover cop if they're a cop, they have to tell me the truth right? Or else it's entrapment? Just trying to get a little bit more free legal advice here. :v:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Big tech companies got dragged to court because they were agreeing not to cold call each other's employees. And bouncing between companies is the fastest way to get pay bumps

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

For those still following the AMD NPT 10 year old bug, someone put together an actual patch (as opposed to a hack):

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10027525/

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's nice that AMD spent all that time and effort helping Intel APU's become really powerful graphically.