Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MachineGames please let me take an Ubergewehr to a Klan rally tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Really Pants posted:

MachineGames please let me take an Ubergewehr to a Klan rally tia

I just realized, I never saw any Klan members in my playthrough. Are they in side stuff? I kind of blitzed through the storyline since there's a lot of other stuff I'm trying to play right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a lot of klansmen in the southern states during side missions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Episode Zero DLC is short and :effort:. Each character basically represents one of BJ's contraptions which is a little bit lazy, I thought. Unsurprisingly, no new weapons outside of visually different but functionally identical throwables, though each one character does have their own melee animations. Level design is functionally identical to TNC's in terms of look and feel. Well, it's pretty much all recycled assets, I guess.

Hopefully the real, paid DLC actually mixes things up, this was obviously just made to entice pre-orders.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I just realized, I never saw any Klan members in my playthrough. Are they in side stuff? I kind of blitzed through the storyline since there's a lot of other stuff I'm trying to play right now.

The only KKK I hatchet'd in the face were in the downtown Roswell district. There was a lone one in Mesquite for some reason.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Episode Zero DLC is short and :effort:. Each character basically represents one of BJ's contraptions which is a little bit lazy, I thought. Unsurprisingly, no new weapons outside of visually different but functionally identical throwables, though each one character does have their own melee animations. Level design is functionally identical to TNC's in terms of look and feel. Well, it's pretty much all recycled assets, I guess.

Hopefully the real, paid DLC actually mixes things up, this was obviously just made to entice pre-orders.

That doesn't surprise me too much, given that a lot of preorder bonuses simply start you off with a palette-swapped/reskinned weapon and some extra ammo, or credits/money, or maybe a barebones bonus mission recycling existing assets. Hopefully the paid DLC will be higher quality.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kibayasu posted:

The only KKK I hatchet'd in the face were in the downtown Roswell district. There was a lone one in Mesquite for some reason.
They hired a local for the tax break.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Where do I go to farm constrictor kills? Trying to max all perks for the achievement. TNO is the only game I've gotten 100% achievements and I want to try for TNC too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Where do I go to farm constrictor kills? Trying to max all perks for the achievement. TNO is the only game I've gotten 100% achievements and I want to try for TNC too

The new york bunker has a few good spots.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Good luck getting that Mein Leben achievement.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GUI posted:

Good luck getting that Mein Leben achievement.

Ya... We'll see :o

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That doesn't surprise me too much, given that a lot of preorder bonuses simply start you off with a palette-swapped/reskinned weapon and some extra ammo, or credits/money, or maybe a barebones bonus mission recycling existing assets. Hopefully the paid DLC will be higher quality.

If I bought the cool Collector's Edition with the Terror Billy doll, does that come with all the future DLC or am I going to be paying for that as well?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

afaik the CE doesn't come with the season pass.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I didn't actually play TNO. Considering giving it a shot, though. I wonder if it holds up ok?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a very good game

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Just pretend what you paid $60 for is the dual stick controls for the original Wolf3D.

Who cares if TNC is a good game or not?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

yeah, my guess its that its preorder demo taste/test of what the dlc stuff will be, but the DLC will be better and more comprehensive.

TNC was really good but their could have been longer with at least more locations. i liked the themes and how they went with the characters for the most part. it definetly felt like the "dark middle" of a trillogy, with the 2/3rds being dour as gently caress BJ and the last 3rd being much more hopeful. over all it worked. id give it a 8.5.
the biggest problem with the gameplay is i was sorta hoping for a more of DOOM 2016 feel. and i feel like they tried sorta but still kept the tanky COD from tno.

Kibayasu posted:

yeah i was hopping for more klansmen in the main story. then again, i like how they are treated by the nazis as useful idiots.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, my guess its that its preorder demo taste/test of what the dlc stuff will be, but the DLC will be better and more comprehensive.

TNC was really good but their could have been longer with at least more locations. i liked the themes and how they went with the characters for the most part. it definetly felt like the "dark middle" of a trillogy, with the 2/3rds being dour as gently caress BJ and the last 3rd being much more hopeful. over all it worked. id give it a 8.5.
the biggest problem with the gameplay is i was sorta hoping for a more of DOOM 2016 feel. and i feel like they tried sorta but still kept the tanky COD from tno.

yeah i was hopping for more klansmen in the main story. then again, i like how they are treated by the nazis as useful idiots.

Yeah I felt like it was like 2 areas too short, and that it should have dealt with the immediate fallout of starting up a revolution rather than just stopping like it did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first half of the game feels like TNO 2.0 while the second half feels like the preamble to Wolf 3. It's an interesting direction to take the game by sharply dividing the tone down the middle, but it gives me hope that Wolf 3 is going to be more off the rails crazy and high spirited than apocalyptic grimness. The grim, black comedy of TNO, TOB and TNC works really well, don't get me wrong, but if any game has earned its right to a happy ending, it is Wolfenstein. Because holy poo poo does it get bleak.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else have the game crash when you try to find Ferguson?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Insane Totoro posted:

Just pretend what you paid $60 for is the dual stick controls for the original Wolf3D.

Who cares if TNC is a good game or not?

Sounds like somebody 'round here hasn't heard about ECWolf.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I wish Speshie got to live long enough to see the Nazi saucer land on deck of the Hammer

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I wish Speshie got to live long enough to see the Nazi saucer land on deck of the Hammer

He would have had an aneurysm and died.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Speshie must have been a hell of a lawyer to get Grace acquitted. That letter he wrote to grace that you find in Roswell made me tear up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Max Hass. :unsmith:

Just started a replay. Two shots. Two kills. Holy poo poo, Max.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Firstborn posted:

I didn't actually play TNO. Considering giving it a shot, though. I wonder if it holds up ok?

I'm only halfway through TNC right now and enjoying it, but so far I think New Order is probably the better game. So yes, boot it up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The party cutscene was pretty :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hear hear!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I just beat the game, but only now realized that BJ started his videogame career as a disembodied head (at the bottom of the screen) and in Wolf II, he ends up as a literal disembodied head.

I'm sure this has already been covered in the thread but I freaked out when I thought of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first half of the game feels like TNO 2.0 while the second half feels like the preamble to Wolf 3. It's an interesting direction to take the game by sharply dividing the tone down the middle, but it gives me hope that Wolf 3 is going to be more off the rails crazy and high spirited than apocalyptic grimness. The grim, black comedy of TNO, TOB and TNC works really well, don't get me wrong, but if any game has earned its right to a happy ending, it is Wolfenstein. Because holy poo poo does it get bleak.

this is the best way i have seen it put. thanks for that. i didn't mind the grim darkness of the first half it works in context, you hurt the nazis somewhat in tno but you got major hosed in the process, your body is loving shot, your kidneys are hosed, and your intestines and all that are hosed too. the suit is the only thing keeping you mobile at all, plus your still really from what the nazis have done to your home and the only reason you can walk at all is because your last friend from your old life was brutally killed. eventualy you come to terms with all of your deamons and are reborn and thats when the game gets brighter.

Gorelab posted:

Yeah I felt like it was like 2 areas too short, and that it should have dealt with the immediate fallout of starting up a revolution rather than just stopping like it did.

i feel like you should have taken the fight to DC or something. idk. stuff works but i wanted to see more horrors, maybe what an american camp looks like or help grace free slaves.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Levels I wish existed:

Nazi Plantation
KKK level (don't care about the context)
Fighting in the streets revolution level (I keep mentioning half-life 2 but goddamn if that isn't exactly what i want)
Major city that isn't a bombed out wasteland or ghetto level (I want to see what L.A., Chicago or any other major metropolis looks like when fully in the grip of the Nazis)
Outdoor level (We're fighting in the U.S. and they don't even have the decency to have us fight in the wilderness? Deserts, swamps, forests and mountains are all right there Machine games. I want to bash a Nazi's head in with a Cactus)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Both TNO and TNC have a real flaw in that there's very few outdoor levels and the ones that are there are meh at best. Doom showed that the engine could do outdoor environments (Hell and Mars) just fine. There's no level in either game that matches the openness of some of RTCW's levels, even. Remember the airfield level? The forest level's force stealth may have been dumb but hey it was OUTSIDE.

At least TOB had the villages and the cable car.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm sorry what was meh about smashing Herr Faust through a concentration camp?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

kefkafloyd posted:

Both TNO and TNC have a real flaw in that there's very few outdoor levels and the ones that are there are meh at best. Doom showed that the engine could do outdoor environments (Hell and Mars) just fine. There's no level in either game that matches the openness of some of RTCW's levels, even. Remember the airfield level? The forest level's force stealth may have been dumb but hey it was OUTSIDE.

I honestly just got tired of grey industrial areas. TNO was fine with this thanks to every level feeling like it took place in a real location and DOOM had enough of a Sci-fi/Heavy Metal spin on it that I actively enjoyed it. I don't know why TNC has regressed in this regard.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm sorry what was meh about smashing Herr Faust through a concentration camp?

Herr Faust itself was great but that was not a level of sweeping vistas.

AnEdgelord posted:

I honestly just got tired of grey industrial areas. TNO was fine with this thanks to every level feeling like it took place in a real location and DOOM had enough of a Sci-fi/Heavy Metal spin on it that I actively enjoyed it. I don't know why TNC has regressed in this regard.

Agreed.

Still, I can't hate the submarine. That place had so much attention that I can't hate the gray.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 8, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kefkafloyd posted:

It's a testament to Doom's design that you thought the outdoor levels were outdoors. What I remember as being "outdoors" is platforming along the busted up railway line (no actual real running around outdoors) that one exterior area which might as well have been a reskin of the foundry level, and climbing the power generator tower thing.

Even hell had walls boxing you into canyons and poo poo, making them more like very large rooms, as opposed to "outdoors".

None of which were really outdoors levels in that they all could have very well have been indoors and saved themselves having to render a skybox.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm replaying TOB and everything about it feels better than TNC. Movement is tighter, the environments and Nazis don't just blend into each other, stealth is more viable, the weapons feel heavy and mean and versatile. I also forgot that melee weapons were selectable in the weapons wheel, why can't I run around with axes out in TNC? There are also a few random bits and pieces about BJs family he mentions that borderline conflict with TNC.

Level design in TOB is also better, full of vibrant vistas and damp castles instead of shiny tight corridors. I get the story doesn't really allow for castles, but.. hell, Venus would have been so much cooler if the Nazi space stations were designed like Gothic castles instead.

There's just a lot of things that they dropped the ball on this time that hurt the overall fun. The story was.. Too much. Like, Metal Gear Solid levels of silly. Which I enjoy but I don't know how well it sits in between a game where your father makes you execute your own dog. reducing your health the first half of the game was a mistake, that decision would have been fine if it changed a level or two into the game, but halfway thru was just aggravating. Save scumming your way thru a game shouldn't be required, far too many people are relying on that just from reading this thread.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
THAT'S loving WHY BJ SOUNDS SO FAMILIAR.

He's got the same VA as Varric Tethras from Dragon Age.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

echronorian posted:

I'm replaying TOB and everything about it feels better than TNC. Movement is tighter, the environments and Nazis don't just blend into each other, stealth is more viable, the weapons feel heavy and mean and versatile. I also forgot that melee weapons were selectable in the weapons wheel, why can't I run around with axes out in TNC? There are also a few random bits and pieces about BJs family he mentions that borderline conflict with TNC.

Level design in TOB is also better, full of vibrant vistas and damp castles instead of shiny tight corridors. I get the story doesn't really allow for castles, but.. hell, Venus would have been so much cooler if the Nazi space stations were designed like Gothic castles instead.

There's just a lot of things that they dropped the ball on this time that hurt the overall fun. The story was.. Too much. Like, Metal Gear Solid levels of silly. Which I enjoy but I don't know how well it sits in between a game where your father makes you execute your own dog. reducing your health the first half of the game was a mistake, that decision would have been fine if it changed a level or two into the game, but halfway thru was just aggravating. Save scumming your way thru a game shouldn't be required, far too many people are relying on that just from reading this thread.

What difficulty do you play on? A few of my IRL friends played on normal and said basically the same thing as you, that it BJ was too weak for too long, but my brother in law and myself felt aside from a few parts with a bunch of big guys it was bad at all.

I felt like they almost had too many medkits and snacks all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
between the end of quake episode 5 and the end of wolf new colossus its painfully obvious machinegames have a massive hardon for the bruiser bros. calling it now, the end of wolf 3 will have you fighting not one but two mechahitlers.