Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you're going to do just one drive, why not get that external red for $180 and just leave it in the enclosure?

Yeah, especially since that Ae drive only has a 2yr warranty, which is what the shucked Reds were showing when their SNs were dumped into WD's warranty checker. $20 more for 1/3 more space and a more proven drive with fewer downsides seems like a no-brainer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I really need to order 2-3 of them, nearest BB is like a 90 minute drive. I'll probably just pay for shipping.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Assuming the package makes it out of their facility and they don't manage to recall it - I should be getting another $360 of free 8 TB EasyStores from BestBuy :lol:

quote:

You recently received emails from us regarding an order you placed through eBay. We are writing to inform you that you were not charged for this order. This order is a duplicate of one of your previous orders that our system accidentally re-sent to you. When you receive the product, you may choose to keep it, donate it, or give it to another person to enjoy as your gift. This is our mistake and there is no action required from you.
We apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

God, I wish their system would have let me order 4 at a time...

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Holy poo poo. Well done.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
And now 8 TB Easystores are down to $130.

Jesus christ BestBuy, my bank account can't handle this...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6110900.p

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6110900.p

I wish they had those deals in Europe too :negative: I too would buy a big pile for that price.. holy poo poo!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

these are a different sku, no one has confirmed they are RED's yet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Photex posted:

Ya be careful with these. The old known RED drives are still $199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...T&skuId=5792401

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Paul MaudDib posted:

Assuming the package makes it out of their facility and they don't manage to recall it - I should be getting another $360 of free 8 TB EasyStores from BestBuy :lol:

God, I wish their system would have let me order 4 at a time...

Amazing!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

quote:

This item is currently unavailable for online purchase. The item was not added to your cart.

Dangit. Oh well, I'll just stop by after work, I guess.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

I think it's an online only pre black friday deal.

I ordered 2, because why not lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Yeah, that must be what happens when they sell out but the backend hasn't quite synced up with the front to communicate that because now it actually says sold out. Oh well.

Microcenter wouldn't match that would they?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, that must be what happens when they sell out but the backend hasn't quite synced up with the front to communicate that because now it actually says sold out. Oh well.

Microcenter wouldn't match that would they?

Being that this is a special black friday deal with a very specific SKU, different from the regular drive, doubtful. Kinda like how amazon would have deals on cheap poo poo but the SKU's would be different than in store items so places don't price match.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Looks like Best Buy got to the package, UPS says delivery was cancelled today. Nothing on the early BF deal but I'm not overly hopeful, I'm sure they were slammed with orders.

edit: Actually there are still some other "Black Friday" deals still up... so maybe it'll make it. Dunno, don't count your chickens until UPS accepts the package.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 8, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Photex posted:

For $130... does it really matter?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

For $130... does it really matter?

My 8TB Seagate Archive drive has a super fast performance of around 20MB/s when writing data with data already on the disk. If you format it you get like 60-80MB/s on the first write afterwards. If I needed to use the drive for anything except long term backups I would be pissed. As long as WD doesn't have that shingled data crap it should be pretty decent.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looks like Best Buy got to the package, UPS says delivery was cancelled today. Nothing on the early BF deal but I'm not overly hopeful, I'm sure they were slammed with orders.

edit: Actually there are still some other "Black Friday" deals still up... so maybe it'll make it. Dunno, don't count your chickens until UPS accepts the package.

I mean, I guess if you bought enough of them and some USB adapters you could make a big-ish pool in ZFS

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I mean, I guess if you bought enough of them and some USB adapters you could make a big-ish pool in ZFS

Or shuck them, but the real fear is this:

redeyes posted:

My 8TB Seagate Archive drive has a super fast performance of around 20MB/s when writing data with data already on the disk. If you format it you get like 60-80MB/s on the first write afterwards. If I needed to use the drive for anything except long term backups I would be pissed. As long as WD doesn't have that shingled data crap it should be pretty decent.

If they're shingled drives, write performance long term (especially as the array fills up) will be rear end.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

What little research I can find on it suggests that ZFS can work with SMR, provided that you use host-managed SMR and that there is some way that ZFS can tell the difference (on FreeBSD it would be handled by CAM(4), which as of May 2016 knows about SMR).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Red or not, I'm really sad I missed this :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Do these have Reds in them?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-4tb-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-black/5792405.p?skuId=5792405

:ohdear:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or shuck them

I was making a dumb joke because he linked to SD cards in the packrat thread

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I was making a dumb joke because he linked to SD cards in the packrat thread

Derp :downs:

Am I crazy or is that a 2.5" drive? The dimensions look too small and the USB port looks too big.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

That's a 2.5" drive.
That said I bought two of 'em at >1.5x that price because I needed something that day.
They work great as the drives I need to put in the safety deposit box as long term rolling backup.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I feel more depressed about missing out on the deal than I should be.

Here’s hoping for these deals to return later in the season. I’m messing around with my old NAS that seems to have burned out its PSU and shouldn’t really be buying these drives anyway because I don’t have the time to mess with this.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

ChiralCondensate posted:

That's a 2.5" drive.
That said I bought two of 'em at >1.5x that price because I needed something that day.
They work great as the drives I need to put in the safety deposit box as long term rolling backup.

Ack. You're right. I got too excited without doing due diligence.

... I still might buy a few for non mission-critical data, or is that a stupid idea too? :saddowns:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

Ack. You're right. I got too excited without doing due diligence.

... I still might buy a few for non mission-critical data, or is that a stupid idea too? :saddowns:

It's a great price and a good idea as far as I know. I dunno if you can shuck these if that's what you're after.
Edit: I can also say that maybe the controller or the drive is not that fast, I was getting 40-50 MB/s transfers from/to my SSD when other USB3 stuff goes faster on the same setup. But I'm not that unhappy about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ChiralCondensate posted:

It's a great price and a good idea as far as I know. I dunno if you can shuck these if that's what you're after.
Edit: I can also say that maybe the controller or the drive is not that fast, I was getting 40-50 MB/s transfers from/to my SSD when other USB3 stuff goes faster on the same setup. But I'm not that unhappy about it.
Probably a combination of the two. It’s probably an inexpensive Asmedia or JMicron controller, and the drive is SMR which makes some access patterns slow.

Also don’t try to shuck a portable WD drive. As far as I know, all of them have the bridge and USB port integrated into the drive’s PCB. I’ve not checked their portable SSDs, but it’s certainly been the case for their portable HDDs.

ChiralCondensate posted:

That's a 2.5" drive.
WD actually made a 2.5” 1TB Red for a bit :haw:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Munkeymon posted:

A friend just swung by best buy in Denver for me, this was what she was told.

quote:

No go on the item, basically sold out everywhere

And he couldn't even put in a order to have it shipped to you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Meanwhile, in Canada, the EasyStore "brand" doesn't even exist. No shuckable WD Reds for me :(

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Those $130 EasyStores were up on eBay, too. Looks like they only had 500 of them total, though, so it's no wonder they almost immediately sold out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I got 2 on 2 separate orders and they'll be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what's inside :)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235160 shuckable? I keep coming up with stuff about shucking a very different-looking enclosure when I try to find instructions and NewEgg has it at $170 through their email deals today

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Munkeymon posted:

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235160 shuckable? I keep coming up with stuff about shucking a very different-looking enclosure when I try to find instructions and NewEgg has it at $170 through their email deals today

One Amazon reviewer says: WD80EZAZ with 256MB cache
Which looks like some weird white label (rebranded greens). http://www.donordrives.com/wd80ezzx-11csga0-pn-2w10100-western-digital-8tb-sata-3-5-hard-drive.html

quote:

WD80EFZX = Reds
WD80EZZX = Green (now called Blue)

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib posted:

These drives are white-label HGSTs with power-disable feature (i.e. you need to clip your 3.3v line or use a molex-to-SATA adapter).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

These drives are white-label HGSTs with power-disable feature (i.e. you need to clip your 3.3v line or use a molex-to-SATA adapter).

Are these good/bad/indifferent compared to WD Reds? Is it going to be an issue sticking 2 reds and 2 of these in a Synology box?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mattfl posted:

Are these good/bad/indifferent compared to WD Reds? Is it going to be an issue sticking 2 reds and 2 of these in a Synology box?

Apart from potentially needing to clip your 3.3v line (many NAS units do not feed this line on the backplane anyway), and from being less prestigious/having an inferior warranty, probably indifferent in practice.

They apparently have a 256 MB cache btw.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apart from potentially needing to clip your 3.3v line (many NAS units do not feed this line on the backplane anyway), and from being less prestigious/having an inferior warranty, probably indifferent in practice.

They apparently have a 256 MB cache btw.

Good to hear, thanks!

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
I'm considering the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Hub 8TB, which I believe has an archive HDD. I'm looking for somewhere to store my multimedia hoard (mp3s and videos). I'll probably dump 4-5 of my older disks on there. Would this model be suitable for this use?

I live in Europe, and the only other external 8TB I can get is the more expensive WD My Book. No amazing $130 deals and no amazing Black Friday deals to be expected. :(

Rambling Robot fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

I wish they had those deals in Europe too :negative: I too would buy a big pile for that price.. holy poo poo!
Yeah no poo poo. An actual WD Red costs like $300 here, gently caress me. The best I can do is the Archive Seagate for $250 so I went hunting and almost just bought a pair of 4TB Reds for 50% off! Except I noticed just seconds before checkout that they're some sort of refurbished deal with 1 year warranty only :supaburn:

So back to square one. Are the Ironwolf drives ok? Backblaze doesn't seem to have those but they're a bit cheaper. Otherwise 4Tb Red or HGST are pretty similar.