Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Shut up!:gonk:Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
Can we please go back to talking about boring D20 knockoffs?
Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Dallbun posted:

So I've been posting a batch of encounter cards every day. Is that too much, especially if we're getting cards from the other deck as well? Or should I just keep 'em coming?

It feels like the various writers for the deck aren't 100% in agreement about how it's supposed to be used or what its purpose is.

Yeah, but if as a DM you start invoking stuff like the "speed of sound," you've opened that huge can of worms. Get ready for player nitpicking.

:justpost:

Whatever speed works for you works for us! I'm enjoying the level of coverage you are doing for the cards, and I am indifferent to short v. Long posts.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

JcDent posted:

4chan made a translation of Nechronica is anyone is interested in this insane poo poo:
Is this some new development or just the same “piecemeal translation with all the effort you’d expect from 4chan” status it’s been in for years?

[Edit: I confess to reading through a version some time ago out of curiosity, because Kamiya’s other work is solid, and just...even if I was skeevy enough to be into the subject matter, and could find multiple other people the same way, the rules still would have kept me away. Just a confusing mess of Edgy Proper Nouns.]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 7, 2017

MightyMatilda
Sep 2, 2015
I just did a Google image search of Nechronica. Some of the illustrations were a bit grosser than I could manage, but for the most part it looked pretty cool. Disturbing, but not in a way that would keep me awake at night. It might be that I have a high tolerance for this sort of thing. Or maybe it's more disturbing when you actually read the text.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Art looks gross but it seems like you could get some mileage out of some kind of hyper-Frankenstein necro-tech situation. Some kind of "Sally from Nightmare before Christmas" character type/power set is hardly the worst thing in the world, though it's certainly a horror game concept.

I wonder if you could use the same idea for that "9" movie with the weird sack-cloth creatures.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

What you're doing is fine, Dallbun, just go at a pace that keeps you invested but not burning yourself ou.lt.
No worries there, I had 250 cards written up before I made a single post. Here we go, then!

Even a strong opponent can be overborne by a large enough swarm of

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 21: The Deck of Traps and Serial Killers

122: Posse

The PCs are entering a lightly forested area near a large town, when they meet a posse of 20 villagers coming down the road with weapons. They’re led by a “grizzled ranger,” and looking for a 6’1, ~200 kb man with an eyepatch and long red hair - Salier the woodman. (Is that the most detailed physical description any NPC has gotten in the whole deck so far?) They’ll try to hire the PCs to bring him in dead or alive for 3000 gp (!). He’s hiding out in the forests and has loaded the area with traps designed to kill.

OK, that’s fine. Keep.

123: The Village

A small village is “curiously divided right down the middle of the street.” One side is stone, one is wood, and the people are dressed differently on each. The village is dominated by two families, the McLains and Borguns. When the PCs enter, representatives from both sides stand on their side of the street and beg the PCs to join their side. How can they help? Well, apparently most of their feud involves sending someone to the other side of the village to get something only available there. They will be pranked and trapped mercilessly by the opposing side while they’re there. “Many of the traps are harmful both emotionally and physically.”

Eh, I don’t like it. Obviously they’re going for a Hatfield/McCoy vibe, but the way this rivalry plays out is just off. This isn’t how people act. Who would maintain an ongoing trap-based prank feud without it escalating into full-on violence?

Oh wait let’s just say they’re all gnomes. Boom! Better. Keep.

124: Springheel

In a posh neighborhood at night, the streets are mostly deserted, but a figure in a “non-reflective golden cloak” jumps over a 10-foot wall and levels a strange weapon at them. Its face looks scaly and reptilian. It gestures at their money with its weapon (a “6-shot repeating hand-held crossbow,” with sleeping poison on the quarrels”). If crossed, it fires once at them and retreats back over the wall.

It’s not a lizardman, it’s actually Old Man Willis from the hotel a half-elf thief named Springheel wearing a disguise. He also has a ring of jumping and a short sword +2.

Is… this a reference to something? Is it supposed to be Spring-heeled Jack? Was he famously a lizard person? Anyway, I might like this guy fine if he’d just been seen around town and had his own agenda, but I don’t like him as a total moron who tries to mug groups of heavily-armed, dangerous-looking people. Pass.

125: The Night of the Knife

It’s a foggy night in town. The streets are mostly deserted. The PCs hear a scuffle up ahead, then a thump, a muffled curse, and footsteps. A tall man walks past the PCs, doffs his hat, and says “Evening.” He’s polite and charming but tries to avoid showing his face. The PCs could accost the man at this moment (though the card complains that “they have little grounds for this action”), but after that it’s too late - he’s gone. After they pass him, they will find the mutilated body of his victim, a human man, and a bootprint leading back towards where they came.

(The man’s name is Jack. He’s a level 10 thief, settling a question that has confounded Ripperologists for more than a hundred years.)

What is going on with these encounters? Do we put Jack the serial killer in our AD&D game as a random encounter? Well... not like this. There’s no real hook - the PCs are likely to encounter the dead body and say “...okay? And?” Also, it’s poor form to make a point of introducing an NPC, and then try to stop the PCs from following them or whatever because their characters wouldn’t have a reason to. Pass for me.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 8, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Dallbun posted:

So I've been posting a batch of encounter cards every day. Is that too much, especially if we're getting cards from the other deck as well? Or should I just keep 'em coming?

I'm enjoying your write-ups quite a bit. So long as you feel good with the pace, by all means carry on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Writeups good, intro jokes are even better, please post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JcDent posted:

Writeups good, intro jokes are even better, please post.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Yeah, what everybody else said.

Speaking of posting, the PATROL review is not dead! I've just been busy during my normal "write stuff for the Internet" time lately. Hopefully I'll get another update out this week.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm thinking of declaring my German-post-apocalyptic-game FnF dead. Kinda low on steam for that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well, I found it.

All of it.

The Ringworld RPG was published by Chaosium in 1984. It uses a version of the Basic Roleplaying rules which are most famous from Call of Cthulhu in the present day, and uses Larry Niven's "Known Space" works as a setting, up to and including, of course, Ringworld itself. The setting is meant to explore the titular Big Dumb Object, and many of the books are more of an elaborated story bible derived from the Known Space stories than what we'd call actionable material. (Nonetheless it comes in at about three hundred pages. That's half the Exalted 3E core!)

The set was split into four books. The Explorer Book is a standard Player's Handbook and includes information on Known Space and how to roll up a PC, including rules for playing one of the two alien races represented in the original novel (the Kzinti and my own august people.) The Technology Book discusses widgets and wadgets in exacting detail. The Creatures Book discusses aliens, the many humanoids of the Ringworld, and sundry monsters. Finally, the Gamemaster's Book discusses the obvious GMing stuff, provides a giant bucket of secret setting lore/extrapolations, a somewhat smaller but still juicy list of hooks to build schemes around, and a relatively complex introductory campaign, adventure, I'm not sure what to call it.

There is, in addition, a companion book with a whole bunch of elaboration and other material, another campaign featuring at least one of the canonical Ringworld characters, and - somewhere; I don't have it - a writeup in a Dragon issue for playable Dolphins.

habitable surface faces in

Since a great deal of this material is interesting to read, but not interesting to read about, I will be giving selected highlights and summaries for lengthy parts of background information.

Several caveats before I proceed.

First is that this is all going to be spoilery as hell for the Known Space books, which are not exactly great literature but may be enjoyable if you're fond of "old school" science fiction.

Second is some content guidance: biological/ecological motivations come up pretty often when discussing the broad patterns of behavior in this particular setting. Niven avoided what we would probably consider :biotruths: when describing members of Homo sapiens, and in several areas the game's authors create space where Niven closed things off for the sake of a story vs. a game setting. However, it DOES come up for a fair number of aliens. There is also some incidental cannibalism, mass manipulation of populations, and sex outside of one's own species, but that's just the good clean fun of a Role-Playing Scenario.

If there are any broad topics that interest the audience, sing out; I will prepare an exploration of the player's guide in the near future.

I'm the excited creature on center bottom!

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 8, 2017

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

JcDent posted:

Nechronica -The Long Long Sequel-

For some reason that name made me think of an RPG about characters who are in an anime that was good but has been running for far too long and is now full of filler episodes, becoming aware of that and trying to end their own universe..

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hyphz posted:

For some reason that name made me think of an RPG about characters who are in an anime that was good but has been running for far too long and is now full of filler episodes, becoming aware of that and trying to end their own universe..

Isn't that Dark Souls 3?

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

somewhere; I don't have it - a writeup in a Dragon issue for playable Dolphins.

https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg095.pdf page 81.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

hyphz posted:

Ay caramba!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dallbun posted:

Oh wait let’s just say they’re all gnomes. Boom! Better. Keep.

You are clearly not keeping in mind how easily this could turn into Gnomeo and Juliet.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

You are clearly not keeping in mind how easily this could turn into Gnomeo and Juliet.

But soft, what pie through yonder window breaks?

Coconut cream. Hang them all!

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
The backwards, superstitious locals mutter darkly about

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 22: The Deck of Bumpkins, Thieves, and Goddamn Dragons

126: The Haunted Tree

On the border of a small rural community. “The locals are rustic and superstitious, easily given to fears of ghosts and witches.” You… do realize that those are actual, 100% real, highly-dangerous things that exist in this world?

Anyway, a local asks them for help. He built his home around a huge old tree (like, literally around it - the tree grows out through a hole in the roof), but he says he’s seen the tree groan and move at night, and rip pieces off the roof. He wants the PCs to expunge the evil and save his house, and offers them “his grandfather’s flame tongue +2 if they do.” Dang, nice!

The PCs “quickly see that [the tree] is a slumbering treant,” presumably because they are intelligent and educated people, not like these ignorant hillbillies who believe in ghosts and witches. It’ll inevitably tear apart the house when it wakes up fully and decides to leave. “The man will not accept this, and demands that the PCs ensure that the treant never move. What the PCs choose to make of this is up to them.”

I’m not big on the assumed superiority of PCs over the common D&D man, but I like that the house owner is kind of an rear end in a top hat about the situation. True to life. The reward seems a little disproportionate, but that’s easily adjusted if the DM wants. Keep.

127: The Pacifist

Medium danger, in rough terrain - the card specifies that there are boulders, and little trees - “numerous vantage points from which PCs or monsters can launch an offensive.” There’s a holy-looking man with a holy symbol (5th level) backing away from four hell hounds. They’re sort of playing with their food before they eat it. He’ll be grateful if they help, and can cast cure spells, “even risking his own life to drag them out of combat.”

If they save him he’ll be grateful and tag along as their healbot, but won’t fight because he’s a pacifist, and will “continually deplore the party’s use of force if they accept him; he will leave as soon as they reach civilization.”

Why, card! Are you assuming that the PCs are some kind of violent psychopaths? ...well, yeah, that’s a safe assumption. Anyway, we can keep this one.

128: ‘Orace and Wilbur

Two comic relief NPCs have been hired to kill the PCs by someone who would do such a thing. They will set traps that rebound on them comically. “If [they] run into the PCs in a town, they inadvertently reveal the plans for their next scheme, slap each other around, and hope that the PCs will ignore what they’ve just said.” They’re like the burglars from Home Alone with a dash of the Three Stooges and Wile E. Coyote.

They’ll be reoccurring villains because they’ll keep to their contract, but they could also be befriended or bought off. Oddly, the card doesn’t raise the idea of the PCs just loving killing them.

It’s more of a sketchy outline of some NPCs than an encounter. But it certainly paints a vivid picture, and the DM doesn’t have to think up any good murder plans on the spot, just a terrible, badly-thought out one. I’ll take it. Keep.

129: A Dragon and His Orc

Out in farmland at the foot of mountains, the PCs see a dragon scorching crops. It’s a juvenile bronze dragon. “Whaaaat!?” say the PCs. “But skin color is hugely deterministic of morality and behavior, and that is especially true for dragons!” Fear not, players - as you assume, there is indeed an explanation! An orc shaman found a small bronze sphere in which the dragon “stored its life force” (pretty impressive magic for a juvenile) and is using it to control its actions. Oh, an orc. Those are evil. Now it all makes sense.

One nice touch is that if the PCs follow the dragon, it will deliberately fly slowly so they have time to follow it back to the high aerie where the orc is set up.

I mean, I guess if you’re following the D&D paradigm this is reasonable, but the “a good thing is acting bad! No wait it’s an bad thing after all” just rubs me the wrong way. What do you think, jury?

P.S. I would aim higher than crop burning, Mr. Shaman. Can’t you rally an army behind you and go on a conquering spree or something? Especially since the dragon is presumably less vulnerable to harm than one with its life force in the usual place?

130: Apprentices

In a busy part of a city, the PCs are chosen as a target by a gang of five Thieves’ Guild apprentices (each Level 1). The exercise is “to pick a mark clean.” They try to pickpocket small, valuable items, but not, the card stresses, anything heavy like weapons. They each only have a 35% Pick Pockets chance, but there are five of them: if the PCs catch one and don’t call the guard, they’ll “take the opportunity to steal from the PCs while the PCs lecture the failed thief.” Nice. If they call the guard or leave the crowds, the thieves will stop.

The card says the DM can “use” the encounter “to rid the PCs of some powerful item,” which is too adversarial for my style. But I like the possibility that the PCs might get pissed off at the local Thieves’ Guild or vice versa. Keep.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The dragon is just saving dragon cum in a jar because he's insane and also worried about flouridation in the water.

Never let young dragons read dnd/winged_pride or /pol_ymorph/.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe tweak the dragon card by removing the magic ball and have the orc raise the dragon. It doesn't know it's burning life sustaining crops, it's been told to, I dunno, help reclaim the land for nature because the orc pretends to ve a ranger or druid giving safe advice on the life cycle of plants. A good burn is important for new growth now and again. Those human farmers just don't understand what is good for the world is good for them!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The farmers are extremely confused by why the dragon always sticks around to try and talk to them about ecological balance in Orcish. They assume it's just growling.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Bonus points if the orc is right and the humans need to learn about crop rotation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just make the dragon double cross the heroes/keyzer soze itself away from them the second it gets its life essence back. Boom, powerful antagonist the party a absolutely want to kill later.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Make it a great wyrm dragon but keep everything else exactly the same, crop burning and all

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Make the dragon equally malevolent, just way more ambitious than some orc who just wants revenge on Farmer Jenkins for some relatively sympathetic reason. The dragon wants to be off conquering kingdoms and kidnapping princesses, like one does, but is stuck here until the PCs free them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer Fantasy: Realm of the Ice Queen

The Ataman (or Hetman, really) is the lord of a Stanitsa out in the open plains and steppes of Kislev. He (or she, in which case she is an Atamanka) is less like a complete lord and more like a mixture of a noble and a mayor. Ungol settlements elect their Atamans because they lost their old bloodlines when the Gospodar originally conquered them, and Gospodar Atamans are usually from Druzhina families that everyone agrees make decent rulers. The Ataman essentially does everything that another specialist does not do within the town. If there is no judge, they are the judge. If there is no priest, they lead the rites. If there is no captain for the Rota, they lead the soldiers. Even if people for all those positions exist, the Ataman still has some say in them. It is said that a settlement with an Ataman who has to do everything is very likely to fall to darkness, because they can become a tyrant much more easily that way. In game terms, Ataman is a solid diplomatic/political Advanced career. They get a huge Int advance (+30), good Fellowship and Willpower, some okay combat abilities, a lot of Toughness (+15), and a big grab-bag of skills to represent their wide duties. Interestingly, you can enter Ataman from Veteran; if you want your talented fight-guy to suddenly become much smarter and good at politics, this is a good career for it. Otherwise, it makes a great second career for Noble. It can also exit into Noble Lord (Sort of the end-point of a lot of Political lines) or Priest (Yes, the version of Priest that starts to get magic) if you want to go into divine spellcasting.

The Bear Tamer is what I'm pretty sure everyone wanted to see this book to see. The Bear Tamer is a Basic career, so you can start out as one and get all its basic trappings, which include one (1) Bear for taming. Bear Tamers get access to a ton of the Stat Talents (They can, if they stick around, pick up the Toughness, Strength, Agility, and Willpower boost talents!) and can also learn wrestling and public speaking. Their skills naturally focus on bears and the training thereof, and a little bit of showing off and circus performing. They're very strong and brave for a 1st tier (+10 to WP and S), and their one weakness is their Exits; they have no 2nd tier Exit. They can go into Initiate of Ursun, Pit Fighter, Soldier, or Entertainer. Soldier is far from a bad second career, though, since Soldier is one of the best 1st tier fighters. Initiate is never amiss, either. You'll just be a bit behind other players who are-

Right, the bear. You want to hear about the bear. Your bear gets a special career: Trained Bear. It uses the basic Bear stats from the core rulebook (Meaning it has SB 5, 2 attacks, 20 Wounds, TB 4, and Strike Mighty Blow and WS 37). Onto this you can eventually give it +10 WS, +5 BS (what, do you train the bear to throw stuff, if so that's awesome), +5 S, +5 T, +5 Agi, +5 Int (!), and +5 WP. You can eventually give it 2 more Wounds, and teach it all kinds of cool skills like Dodge or Intimidate and give it talents like Stout Heart (brave bear) or wrasslin' prowess. To do this, your bear gets 1/2 your EXP. Every time the bear has 100 EXP, you make a Train Animal check. If you succeed, the bear gets an advance. If you fail, the bear is sleepy and takes a nap or something and loses the EXP. To tell the bear to kill, it either needs to be being attacked (in which case it will defend itself) or you need to make a Charm Animal test as a half action to be able to control it. The bear can, potentially, be an enormous force-multiplier for a starting party. Also, bears are a sacred animal in Kislev and so mistreating the bear or treating it as anything but an honored buddy is religious blasphemy. The bear is a responsibility. If you finish training the bear it can be sold to the temples for enormous sums, or I suppose you could have it promote to Brute or Chief or something and become the mightiest bear in history.

The Chekist is, interestingly, a Basic career, unlike Imperial Witch Hunters. If you want to be a leg-breaker for Katarin, you can start out in an entry level position herding adventurers and beating rumors with your cudgel. Chekists know how to investigate, they know how to fight, and they're a good sort of 'fill-in' character for a party. They also start with a full suit of leather armor *and* a helmet, which is nice, as well as an actual warhorse (which means the horse can fight a bit) and their distinctive beating stick (just a Hand Weapon). They also get Dodge and Strike Mighty Blow (and the option for Strike to Stun, which is surprisingly powerful) in addition to investigation skills, a decent WS, and some minor stats all round. They can also start out knowing how to use a gun, though they can't start with one. A solid 1st tier with good exits like Spy, Sergeant, and Veteran.

The Drover is a Kislevite cowboy. You get a faithful herd dog (Kislevite herding dogs are noted as having +3 int over normal dogs because they are good boys), your solid (but not trained for combat) horse, your lasso, the ability to use your lasso (and Entangling is actually a very useful weapon prof), and good growths in BS, Strength, and Agility. Also a lot of survival and traveling skills. It can go into a bunch of good horsemanship related 2nd tiers, like Highwayman, Scout, or Horsemaster (that's coming up) and is, in general, a solid but uninspiring starting class.

The Horse Archer starts our path to peasant glory here in Kislev. Horse Archer is a 2nd tier cavalry fighter, and Noble and Peasant alike can promote into it (as can Steppes Nomad, we'll get to them). They have solid physical growths (+15 S, +15 T, +15 Agi) and great BS (+25) with okay WS (Okay in the context of a 2nd tier Fighter, +15) while learning some of the more important shooting skills (Mighty Shot, Sure Shot to defeat 1 point of armor, Quick Draw to swap weapons, Rapid Reload to swift attack with bows). They also get Cavalry weapons, so they can use lances if they need to get into melee. Round it out with a solid core of survival and horsemanship skills and you have a great 2nd tier ranged class that can handle the saddle and trail and back others up in melee. They can also Exit into Captain as a 3rd tier, or into 2nd tiers like Scout or Targeteer (Targeteer is 2nd tier, but gets a whopping +40% BS since it doesn't really do anything else). If you were a peasant, now you are a badass.

The Horse Coper is a 1st tier social class. They sell horses. They sell horses in a disreputable manner. As a Horse Coper you are the Kislevite equivalent of a used car salesman. They get a whopping +15% Fel for a 1st tier but not much else, a bunch of commerce skills and talents and some good social skills, they do still know how to ride, care for, and train horses, and they can use a whip or lasso just fine. They also get Suave, so their Fel is effectively +20%. They can go into classes like Merchant, Charlatan, or Horse Master (if they become more honest and respectable, I guess). If you want to be Honest Ivan's Experienced Horses and talk your way out of trouble while trying to sell these fine stallions, Kislev has you covered.

Horse Masters are what every Horse Coper claims to be. These are the talented specialists who take care of, breed, and train the high performance horses that Kislev's military and civil life depend on. They're good merchants who know how to take care of and judge horses, and are solid riders. They're not that great in combat, though they can help out with a +15 BS advance, but this class has a hidden virtue: If you came into it from Drover or Coper, it's going to be a pretty short 2nd tier for you (while still giving you useful stats like Int and Fel) that can lead into the various cavalryman careers (Winged Lancer and Horse Archer) or into Ataman. Still, not likely to be terribly useful or attractive in most campaigns.

Steppes Nomads are Ungol Only basic careers. They wander the steppe, in a nomadic fashion. You get plenty of survival skills and wilderness abilities, good WS and BS advances (+10 both), good WP (+10), and not much else, but it's still a decent foundation for a Basic Career. They can also go directly into Ataman, Horse Archer, or Scout, so you have some very good 2nd tier options and routes you could take from here. A good rider who comes with their own horse, bow, and armor is not the worst start you could find in Hams.

Streltsi totally rule and I can say this from experience, having played Pyotr the Lonely Kislevite Veteran in a long group campaign. These are the soldiers of Erengard, who train with the bardiche and musket. They're a variant on the Imperial Soldier class, gaining a bunch of useful gun skills (They can get Master Gunner and Rapid Reload, making them able to reload a musket in a single turn), good Ranged talents (Mighty Shot, Marksman for +5 BS, and Sharpshooter so Aimed shots are at +20, important for people with a 1 shot weapon) while also getting Two Handed weapons. You also start with full leather and a helmet, a gun (which is a big deal, guns are expensive as hell), a two-handed axe, and your trusty saber. With Exits in Winged Lancer, Sergeant, or Veteran, they have a lot of other combat options for advancement. They're a real winner of a Soldier variant and fun as hell to play as.

Finally, the Winged Lancer. Winged Lancers are like Horse Archers, except they reverse the WS and BS advances (they have +15 BS, but +25 WS) and focus more on getting stuff like Strike Mighty Blow instead of Mighty Shot. They're much like an Imperial Knight, except they trade the wide variety of melee weapons for being decent with ranged (they only learn Cavalry weapons), tougher, and more widely skilled in survival and traveling long distances rather than dealing with court. You can also enter the career from Peasant, much like Horse Archer, and that's awesome. Peasant-Winged Lancer-Captain is a viable career track that will give a character a lot of great abilities. Their exits are a bit limited (only Captain, Veteran, Scout, or Horse Master for some reason) but Captain's in there so you're good. All in all a solid variant of knight and a great way to turn a peasant into a hero of Kislev!

Next: The Mechanical Backing Of Witches.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Make the Dragon a gnome

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Carados posted:

Make the Dragon a gnome

Just make every encounter a gnome, see if it fixes it. Should be a litmus test.

As the party passes through a rustic village a man petitions them for aid. It seems he has literally built his house around a gnome. At first the gnome mostly held still, but now the man swears that at night he sees the gnome move and rustle around. He offers the party a +2 vs. gnomes flaming longsword if they can remove the offending gnome.

The party is passing through town on a foggy night when they hear a scream and a muffled thump. Because they are all gnomes, their infravision easily pierces the fog, revealing Jack the Rippergnome stabbing a male gnome for some out of character reason. They descend upon him because there is good reason to.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Yeah, the thing that weirds me out the most about that encounter is that it hinges on the dragon choosing to be a living lich? Why would it do that?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, the thing that weirds me out the most about that encounter is that it hinges on the dragon choosing to be a living lich? Why would it do that?

The Orc tricked the Dragon. The orb doesn't actually contain its life force, the Orc just pulled a "Got your nose!" prank and the Dragon rolled horribly on sense motive and now things the Orc can controls its soul.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

I like the thread's answer that it's an evil dragon to begin with. Since it's juvenile, I assume it's some kind of angsty adolescent rebellion (that will last 50 years).

theironjef posted:

Just make every encounter a gnome, see if it fixes it. Should be a litmus test.

The PCs are going to end up raising so many baby gnomes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Night10194 posted:

If you finish training the bear it can be sold to the temples for enormous sums, or I suppose you could have it promote to Brute or Chief or something and become the mightiest bear in history.

I fail to see how this is remotely a decision.

Are those specific exits for the bear, or can it just exit into whatever? Can I train the bear to train *more* bears? With hard work and dedication, can my bear become the High Priest of Ursun? Can I send my bear to Wizard College?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I fail to see how this is remotely a decision.

Are those specific exits for the bear, or can it just exit into whatever? Can I train the bear to train *more* bears? With hard work and dedication, can my bear become the High Priest of Ursun? Can I send my bear to Wizard College?

There are no listed exits for the Bear, but trainable creatures generally go into Brute based on Knights of the Grail and the general rules for advancing template creatures.

I used the Bear Trainer rules for Amazons and Lizardmen training Cold Ones in my home-game Lustria stuff because it seemed to fit phenomenally dumb riding raptors as well as it did sleepy bears.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Very excited for Ringworld. What a weird series of books.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Now I really want to play Princess Maker, but with a bear.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

There are no listed exits for the Bear, but trainable creatures generally go into Brute based on Knights of the Grail and the general rules for advancing template creatures.

I used the Bear Trainer rules for Amazons and Lizardmen training Cold Ones in my home-game Lustria stuff because it seemed to fit phenomenally dumb riding raptors as well as it did sleepy bears.

Did you include the Stupidity stuff from Rat Ogres, or just assume their being dumb as a post would be handleable without that?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Did you include the Stupidity stuff from Rat Ogres, or just assume their being dumb as a post would be handleable without that?

I just assumed they'd be dumb as a post. I kinda redid them as really, really unmotivated except by food, mating, and not dying rather than mean. So a well trained one will lazily do exactly what it's told to do and not much more, while a poorly trained one tries to get away from 'pointless' combats to go chase rabbits or the Lustrian Death Chicken. I also took off the whole dumb 'They're covered in evil slime of pain that hurts the riders!' stuff because GW.

Basically, as long as a rider with Ride is on their back, they do roughly what they're told. When no-one is watching they go to sleep or look for food.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So basically big, reptilian horses except less skittish and more lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

So basically big, reptilian horses except less skittish and more lazy.

Also pretty fighty and not as fast or agile. No-one starts with a Cold One, obviously.