Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The guy who maddogged two new hires into quitting (and went out of his way to put the nail in CdC's coffin at that gig, incidentally) is now pulling the do-such-and-so-or-i'll-quit routine and by the butt of the black baby jesus the door is right ---> there, please, let me get your things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wEs9x7G3w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Online food handlers/managers courses that don't let me skip straight to the test can die in a goddamn fire. loving ServSafe

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Plan Z posted:

So I'm used to working more traditional industry kitchens like line station jobs or hotel banquet stuff, and working a small bistro is a pretty noticeable change. I'm used to being locked down at a station for 8+ hours crossing off a prep list/BEO/ticket. At most times in the day, I've got orders cooking, prep working, talking to customers, serving food, cutting down dishes for when the washer arrives, and other stuff. It's an interesting change of pace and I dig it, but man does it really start showing problems when there are weak links in the chain.

It really is different, and it's why it's so hard to hire for smaller places. When I hire a full time cook, they need to be able to open (and all of the prep that goes with it, along with doing a solo lunch service that's sometimes 20 open menus at once, but not often enough to justify two people in the kitchen), they need to be able to work dinner service with two other people and bang out stupid amounts of food, they need to be able to close a restaurant and do ordering/prep lists/etc for the next day. As much as I used to love bringing someone into my restaurant that knew absolutely nothing (when I worked at bigger places) and starting them out on the prep team or garde for a few months before teaching them any more, I can't do that anymore. My crew is myself, two full time cooks, two part time evening dishwashers, and hopefully one more part time person for some mid-day mid-week shifts (I'm currently hiring for that and having a bitch of a time), so adding a full extra person to train them for a month is +20% labour and that's something I just can't do.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

it's always prudent to ensure that your employer is actually sending in your employee payroll tax deductions

How would I go about finding out what information has been submitted by my employer? (not a restaurant but it should be similar)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Online food handlers/managers courses that don't let me skip straight to the test can die in a goddamn fire. loving ServSafe

it takes like 45 minutes and my advice : just take a shot every time you get to a new section

god I can't believe it was 2015 when I drunkenly decided to do a servsafe, I guess mine expires sorta soon

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gently caress, i would have been fine if they just let me skip ahead when i was done reading the text instead of waiting for the audio to finish. that course took loving forever

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The last time I took it online there was a low bandwidth option that didn't load videos and audio... So clutch

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Open date got pushed back a few more weeks. For quite a few reasons, but my favorites that actually pertain to me are:

Ordered a little over 7000 plates for banquet service, plus stuff for 5 other outlets. Only 5k banquet plates were delivered because the manufacturing process is difficult. They picked these plates over a year ago. In a year the supplier couldn't come up with 7k plates that we're spending ~45 each on.

ALL kitchen smallwares are still in the boxes they were shipped in, gotta distribute those all out next week.

None of my banquet kitchen is ready. 8 Rationals are in there, all the tables, Hobart mixer, etc. were dropped off and put in a corner. Rational is supposed to install ovens on Monday, but we can't get to them because someone decided that they should build the 16ft steel table out of all the other things they could have done.

On the upside I have a bunch of J1 culinary students that I plan on stealing for banquets because they don't have any bad habits to break.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
From the bad with money thread:

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Guy's plan seemed to be to drink cider while having no business plan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo, this guy checks off pretty much every single box on the "What NOT to do" list.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I know some people that know that guy, and everything about him just screams "privileged middle class white guy with no business sense".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My favorite part was how he couldn't get a liquor license without three months restaurant experience, so he goes and works in the kitchen of a friend's restaurant for three months. Not to learn anything about what it's like to actually work in or operate a restaurant, because he doesn't do anything but some light prep work, but just to be able to check a box on a form that says "Yep, got that experience."

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I blame the rise of fast food giants for people think it's easy to start a restaurant. Namely the ones that made a lot of money and effectively don't work anymore.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well that was a good laugh this morning.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What’s a business plan? Never heard of that before. Doesn’t seem important.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://youtu.be/vDu74eMv5ME

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like the nice touch about the business finally getting some press and turning a small profit, so welp time to go on vacation!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My family keeps pushing me to open a restaurant because they know I love food. I'd like to open a bar - I ran those things for years and made a ton of money in the process. But food can gently caress off, it's not worth it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like the nice touch about the business finally getting some press and turning a small profit, so welp time to go on vacation!

I was expecting something like him just loving off, and taking the wife and kids somewhere for a week or two. What actually happened is goddamn crazy.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

My family keeps pushing me to open a restaurant because they know I love food. I'd like to open a bar - I ran those things for years and made a ton of money in the process. But food can gently caress off, it's not worth it.

Sell small bites for $8-12 that cost $2-3 to make. Stuff you can freeze and fry, or will freeze well in general.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sell small bites for $8-12 that cost $2-3 to make. Stuff you can freeze and fry, or will freeze well in general.

I currently run a soul food/cocktail restaurant that does somewhere between 50 and 55% of its sales as alcohol. We're doing pretty well, it's good and yadda yadda.

The next property we're looking into opening, we're aiming for 85%-90% of sales as alcohol, and the kitchen being easy poo poo that can be prepped by one person (or ideally, half a person) in the morning and executed by one person at night. Gonna make stupid amounts of money. As a chef: gently caress food.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Meanwhile my owners want to open a second storefront that serves fast casual health food breakfast and lunch grab and go Paleo vegan gluten free items , while operating out of the same too small kitchen that serves our 100 seat casual fine dining bistro, and by the ens of the year add a craft cocktail lounge with a third food menu out of that same too small kitchen by the end of the year.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The hotel I'm opening has mandatory breaks. 30min lunch and 2 15min rest breaks.

It's great and all, but feels absolutely bizarre.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This I'd be perfectly fine with. I just don't want to be food-centric because it's too expensive, too much of a pain in the rear end, and customers there for food are too drat fickle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I considered that way back in the day when a friend had money to invest and wanted me to go in with him. Decided against it because running a bar in a college town had too much liability.

Friend went ahead anyway, it went under the first summer when it turned into a ghost town and they had a kitchen fire. :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's not even the worst part of that terrible idea, closed the last week of August, reopened right after labor day.

I have a toy store that specializes in Nintendos, I'm going to take December off and reopen January 4th.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The hotel I'm opening has mandatory breaks. 30min lunch and 2 15min rest breaks.

It's great and all, but feels absolutely bizarre.

Live the high life CdC. We're supposed to take a 15 as well, but it never happens. Not that I really need it, especially after I got around to replacing my insoles finally. Though I should look into better shoes again. Shoes for Crews can eat pant.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

I considered that way back in the day when a friend had money to invest and wanted me to go in with him. Decided against it because running a bar in a college town had too much liability.

Friend went ahead anyway, it went under the first summer when it turned into a ghost town and they had a kitchen fire. :smith:

If I can get a plan together I'm not particularly worried about the money. That's gonna be the easiest part, really.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I've not had breaks in so long I would actually prefer to work 8 straight and go home, than just hang out around work for an extra hour on break.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the idea is that you spend the same amount of time at work, and some of it not working dude

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shooting Blanks posted:

This I'd be perfectly fine with. I just don't want to be food-centric because it's too expensive, too much of a pain in the rear end, and customers there for food are too drat fickle.

You make more money off booze anyways. And there's less overhead costs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

I've not had breaks in so long I would actually prefer to work 8 straight and go home, than just hang out around work for an extra hour on break.

Honestly, the breaks are great, and give you a chance to relax, eat an actual meal, and think about what you need to do with the rest of your day instead of GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO.

I also have a staff of about 90, so people taking breaks is no big deal.

My banquet kitchen has 13 beautiful Rationals with every accessory for all of them. :3:

I can, if need be, smoke 260 briskets at once with humidity control, probably manage an 8 hour cook time.

e: also, 2 40gal steam kettles, 3 20gal gas tilt skillets, 24 burners, 3 salamanders, 6 deep fryers(still waiting to arrive) a 6 cart blast chiller, 5 walkins, all 600+ sq ft, tons of prep space, a conveyor belt system for plate ups, and a dishing area with 8 drop down heat lamps to finish plates for anything that goes to 2nd floor ballroom.

All my satellite kitchens have the same dish up area where we can reheat in the Rationals, roll to wherever, and finish plates right outside the door, always keeping them hot. It's loving awesome. My new employer truly is a luxury brand. I just can't say who they are, because not supposed to have any deets about the place out in the wild til we open.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 8, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Please share.

The briskets, I mean. You can keep the ovens.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

iospace posted:

Please share.

Seconded.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

iospace posted:

Please share.

Thirded

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Willie Tomg posted:

yeah honestly the mandatory breaks in california kinda suck sometimes cuz often i'd rather just power through and go home instead of being forced to take an unpaid 30. although i know i'd complain even more if i didnt get my break lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

5 walkins, all 600+ sq ft

wait is that 600 square feet total or 600 square feet each cause if it's the second one that's some crazy poo poo

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wait is that 600 square feet total or 600 square feet each cause if it's the second one that's some crazy poo poo

The 2nd. And yes it is. They're all also automatic doors.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

the great deceiver posted:

mandatory breaks in california
Aren't split shifts illegal without extra compensation in your state? And you get actual breaks? Tell me more about how bad it is... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JawKnee posted:

the idea is that you spend the same amount of time at work, and some of it not working dude

yes but i need the money, and don't need 30 minutes waiting to make more money, and i do not actually enjoy being on-property for its own sake. is the thing. :(

if the breaks are paid then hell yes, because i am a profoundly lazy person in many ways. but they generally are not, which harshes my mellow.