Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Cloud-Imperium-Games-RVW17730194.htm

quote:

Pros
* However this project and business turn out I'm happy I got to work on this once in a lifetime project that has really pushed boundaries in many areas of software development, games development, networking, and computer science.
* Despite a lot of my ex-colleagues being younger, newer in the industry and sometimes inexperienced / naïve, they really worked incredibly hard and with huge amounts of enthusiasm, sometimes to the detriment of their own wellbeing and personal lives.
* The offices and infrastructure are great with absolutely no expense spared in allowing us to get our jobs done.
* Despite some of my criticisms below I would definitely do it all over again but I would also get out earlier.

Cons
* A lot of the management have little to no idea what they are doing, use software development methodologies from the last century and are frankly out of their depth. This causes an exponentially increasing spiral of delays that a modern experienced project manager would see coming from a mile away and know how to deal with. The project is getting ever further away from completion despite what public statements to the contrary say. These managers may have been the best of the best back in their day, but it is no longer that day and people rarely have consistent hits their entire career.
* This issue is compounded by the fact that CIG pays below industry average salaries, because they correctly think many people will want the prestige of having worked on such an exciting project to be on their CV, however you also don't get the best talent this way.
* Both the salary and management issues have caused a lot of more experienced staff who were really making the most progress to leave. A lot of the people left are fairly wet behind the ears and need a lot more mentoring before stepping up to the plate. I spent over half my time mentoring other members of staff even in areas I only have a vague passing knowledge of.
* Collectively we ended up grinding harder and harder, losing increasingly more of our lives, over smaller and smaller irrelevant things that the CEO dreamed up. This has been getting worse recently not better, especially with recent technologies added to the game that should have been implemented at the end, not now.

Advice to Management
Hire experienced executives and professional project managers with current decade skills and qualifications - Not family members, friends or old contacts.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Thats the opposite of how it works. We want to give every patient literally any kind of treatment or care they need at our for profit hospital. Because we get paid for it.

Get your leftist retard poo poo out of this thread you sound like a twat who read a blog post once.

Lmao

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

SCtrumpHaters posted:

We'll suck your dick if you choose our hospital for your heart surgery or pregnancy or whatever. Every hospital is like this. Because businesses like being busy. It means they get paid for the goods and services they provide. Virtually all businesses operate in this manner.

Just trying to educate you a bit about the real world for next time you decide to put politics in the thread so you look slightly less stupid.

Lmafo

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ban

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
If you're gonna single word post sequentially, at least turn off that goddamn sig.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
this is like Tophat but worse. I'm amazed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/928241589394305029

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Banning would increase our vulnerability to another surprise testicle picture. It's a weird dynamic, I know.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The worst kind of dynamic.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

I don't like SC any more and have no interest in it, I am here because I love you all and for no other reason tbh

Same. Started a new job with a 2-hour daily commute a couple months ago (it was supposed to be one, but... roadwork) and I'm just too wiped out to even touch games anymore.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Banning would increase our vulnerability to another surprise testicle picture. It's a weird dynamic, I know.

What's wrong with testicles? Are they anime ones?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

"do you not know what your own pay stubs said"

No, because there are 18 loving shell companies.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

If you're gonna single word post sequentially, at least turn off that goddamn sig.

Overweight waifu dude provides a valuable service, I feel.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Hav posted:

wait, you don't all just have sigs turned off by default?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

Same. Started a new job with a 2-hour daily commute a couple months ago (it was supposed to be one, but... roadwork) and I'm just too wiped out to even touch games anymore.

If you don't have time to play games Star Citizen is the game for you.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

Not until this latest set of eye-bleeding posts, no.

Go on, make out like I'm the bad guy here.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Hav posted:

But how will we know who not to quote!?

You know, for Derek's sake.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hav posted:

"Castrated bats are better hung than you, Crazyloon." I guess I cannot deny that, but for some reason I was positive that option required me to get plat account to buy Lowtax a new yacht.

Thanks for correcting me.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

IcarusUpHigh posted:

But how will we know who not to quote!?

Sorry, Derek - Matoi Ryuko's amine signature has foiled you! Oh woe unto thee!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Sounds like some drat charity that would have a 2 minute commercial on the teevee.

"Here's Derek, alone, in cyber space. He can no longer blog." Roll in Sally Struthers. And whatever you do, don't google the images.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Why would you ever switch signatures off? They're an important gauge to measure a poster's stupidity. The dumber the sig, the better you feel for not having one yourself. :smugbird:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fatkraken posted:

why would I turn off all these awesome sigs??

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
He who turns off sigs, admits that they have lost.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

why would I turn off all these awesome sigs??

y'know....<hisses>the anime</hisses>.

You'll get it on you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He who turns off sigs, admits that they have lost.

Oh, like you don't have an ignore list.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Oh, like you don't have an ignore list.

I mean... I do, but its empty

:shrug:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Low rider star citizen mod coming along nicely

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

”A lot of the management have little to no idea what they are doing, use software development methodologies from the last century and are frankly out of their depth. This causes an exponentially increasing spiral of delays that a modern experienced project manager would see coming from a mile away and know how to deal with. The project is getting ever further away from completion despite what public statements to the contrary say. These managers may have been the best of the best back in their day, but it is no longer that day and people rarely have consistent hits their entire career.”

Ouch — this one goes for the tender underbelly and kicks the tenders after. It will surely be claimed as fakery, but as with the Jennison letter, it reads as authentic, holistically informed and bitterly resigned.

One of the great remaining myths that zealots and whales cling to is that Chris, Erin, Tony and the other graybeards are wizards trained in the secret sorcery of ancient forgotten gaming magic. Their willingness to believe this is profound because decades back, the younger versions of these men delivered a nifty game here and there. Or at least had their name on one. And zealots played them at a highly impressionable age. Yet that magic they remember so fondly now was not crafted by Roberts or his cronies — the magic they recall was Youth.

The notion that Chris & Co., rather than being Jedi masters of gaming, are in fact out-of-their-depth relics, hopelessly out of step with the times and simply incapable of comprehending let alone dominating 2017-era AAA gaming — it’s simply unthinkable to the zealot core.

The evidence is everywhere:

—The Zeno’s paradox of infinite subdivisions of distance to 3.0...
—“Welcome to BURNDOWN, our weekly look at our progress in eliminating blockers and bugs keeping us from release of the first fraction of our first of 100 star systems in the first person universe we’re claiming we can build...”
—A space sim that still hasn’t delivered a satisfying flight model after half a decade of futzing around with it...
—“I just want to sell the narrative...”
—“WORM IS NOT A JOKE!”
—The fact that their unironically admitting, in year five, that they’re closing in on their first complete game loop...
—“Legacy armor” (in a pre-Alpha!)
—“You can fit the whole of Skyrim in that crater right there...”
—Face Over IP
—and so on...

The entire project is now a NeoTokyo of bright blinking warning signs yet Chris is himself is so completely and hopelessly deluded — convinced not just of his adequacy (lol) but his supremacy — and his acolytes and enablers derive their misplaced confidence in him from him. It’s from this desperate collusive delusion that for many emerges a similar dread fear of irrelevancy. Star Citizen, while never overtly pitched as such, is their shared escape route from this fear into a utopia of relevancy, power and decisive personal agency — as the ample novellas of therycrafting so often attest. And for Chris, too, the game is meant as such, a statement to the compromised studios and evil publishers that “I’m still here and my game is BETTER than your game because I’m STILL a great Game Developer!”

How strange that only 5 or 6 years ago, a husband and wife had what surely sounds like a kick-to-curb warning, during which she told him, “If this doesn’t work out, I’m sure someone will hire you.”

Good thing it worked out. For both of them. For awhile anyway. But the downward spiral is well underway and everyone who can’t see it clearly senses it anyway. And the bitterest lesson of all is that Chris Roberts was given the greatest opportunity in the history of gaming — a gargantuan budget and limitless freedom — and with that freedom he destroyed the gift and left only the grim and slim hope that some salvageable mediocrity might somehow be recovered from the wreckage. We’ll see how that works out.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 8, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thoatse posted:

*plays Pee-Wee Herman sounds*

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SEE REDDIT!? VISIBLE PROOF THAT CHRIS AND SANDI ARE GOOOOOOOOONS!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tucker Carlson dumped the gimmick a while back.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I realise I'm painting with a pretty broad brush with that last one, and I'm fine with that.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I hope that doesn't mean Fozzie Bear.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

AP posted:

Easing :lesnick: out the door is my guess, also it's been obvious for a while he has not a clue what's going on as they don't really involve him anymore.

wasn't he sat awkwardly in the corner behind cr in all the recordings of the burndown meetings?

he has probably just manovered himself into a position where he is just a full time cr and wc obsessive.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Refundimus Prime

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

I hope that doesn't mean Fozzie Bear.
He managed to evade the list because he's a literal muppet and not a figurative one.

I've got my eye on him though.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Refundimus Prime

Or as believers still call him, unOptomized Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted: