Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm registered for an Imanari seminar this Sunday :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Enjoy all your time off

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm registered for an Imanari seminar this Sunday :woop:

From what I recall of my friend who trains with him on a semi regular basis, he does not gently caress around with heel hooks, even in sparring.

You tap or your knee explodes.

So maybe that will rub off on you? :v:
(stay safe poverty knee)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

From what I recall of my friend who trains with him on a semi regular basis, he does not gently caress around with heel hooks, even in sparring.

You tap or your knee explodes.

So maybe that will rub off on you? :v:
(stay safe poverty knee)

Noted!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

There's a video going around where Imanari is drilling a counter heel hook on a guy that wanted to make imanari tap and when he sees the guy going for his heel hook just blasts his counter heel hook and busts the guy's knee.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

There's a video going around where Imanari is drilling a counter heel hook on a guy that wanted to make imanari tap and when he sees the guy going for his heel hook just blasts his counter heel hook and busts the guy's knee.

Maybe I'll just partner up with my guy from my club and watch the demos and get tips

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Odddzy posted:

Link?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I misremembered, they were rolling, but he punched it in quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddMSKn7s3s

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just started up BJJ. Kind of a unique situation though; I'm deployed on Navy ship and I linked up with a group of guys who roll several nights a week. So it's not class per se, it has pretty much been trial by fire. I would imagine that in a normal school you don't have as much access to high level guys to roll with. They are teaching me a lot too but a lot of it is just getting my rear end kicked over and over.

Two, maybe related questions:

1) Do any of you who train BJJ on a regular basis also lift heavy regularly? I lift 4x a week (5/3/1 program if you are familiar with it). I've cut all the assistance work since started rolling and was just uber fatigued. Any suggestions on adapting my routine to the reality of grappling 3-4 times a week would be appreciated.

2) Maybe related to the above: last couple times I've rolled my biceps have gotten really sore, painful is probably a better word. HAs anyone experienced this? I'm thinking its overuse which is why I cut back on my lifting.I don't think it is tendinitis because the soreness isn't around the joint although it is more towards the lower end of the muscle. Thought?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Just started up BJJ. Kind of a unique situation though; I'm deployed on Navy ship and I linked up with a group of guys who roll several nights a week. So it's not class per se, it has pretty much been trial by fire. I would imagine that in a normal school you don't have as much access to high level guys to roll with. They are teaching me a lot too but a lot of it is just getting my rear end kicked over and over.

1) Do any of you who train BJJ on a regular basis also lift heavy regularly? I lift 4x a week (5/3/1 program if you are familiar with it). I've cut all the assistance work since started rolling and was just uber fatigued. Any suggestions on adapting my routine to the reality of grappling 3-4 times a week would be appreciated.

2) Maybe related to the above: last couple times I've rolled my biceps have gotten really sore, painful is probably a better word. HAs anyone experienced this? I'm thinking its overuse which is why I cut back on my lifting.I don't think it is tendinitis because the soreness isn't around the joint although it is more towards the lower end of the muscle. Thought?

1)I lift when I dont roll, usually 2-3x a week of a 5x5 program (stronglifts). your body is feeling like rear end right now because of all the new & weird strains being put upon it, so consider deloading your weights and maybe cutting a day out or two.

2) it's possible you've pulled something or whatever & there's no advice anyone can give that's better than 'rest', but in order to avoid this happening in the future, try to reel back the amount of strength you're using while you roll, and tap early to submissions instead of trying to muscle out.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

vulturesrow posted:

a lot of it is just getting my rear end kicked over and over.

I've only been training for a few months, but my understanding is getting my rear end kicked over and over is pretty much what I can expect for the foreseeable future.

quote:

I had that for the first few weeks and it's subsided somewhat now. It will probably take a while for you to adapt generally to rolling and lifting so it might not be a bad idea to reduce the lifting a bit until you get more used to the jits. If the bicep is really bugging you just get it checked out by a doctor to confirm regular muscle soreness or whatever vs. actual damage.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I stopped lifting and running the first month or so I started but I found it easy enough to fit back in when I was acclimated. If you don't want to stop other activities all together maybe just dial things back a bit.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I'm not much of nutrition coach, but 1) eat more, 2) Sleep more, 3) you need a rest day. If you're 3-4x grappling + 4x week lifting you need at least 1 recovery day where you aren't lifting/grappling (and probably doing active recovery poo poo like foam rolling and releasing trigger points with lacrosse balls, etc). Get a deep tissue massage every month which will probably help too.

Once you aren't in the business of getting your rear end kicked up and down the mats (and we have all been there), you'll find that you are nearly as fatigued from rolling as you once were. You can then add back in the lifting as you see fit. In the alternative, you can always ask your rolling partners to take it easy on you (and good training partners should respect that decision). I am also familiar with the fact that most brand new people are spazzy as gently caress, since you've never been in positions/situations like BJJ and most people freak the gently caress out and go 110% during the rolling. That may or may not apply to you, but it is something to be cognizant of - are you breathing while you are rolling, are you giving 100% during every second of every roll?

Welcome to the brotherhood, I'm sure that you'll fit right in. Stick with it. :3:

EDIT: hopefully some of this is useful while you are on the navy ship.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I saw Joe Rogan sperging out about lacrosse balls and thought "my sister in law has some of those from when she played, maybe I'll give it a shot because I can get them for free"

Turns out they're super effective. I use one to release the muscles inboard of my shoulder blades and they work really, really well. I hunch over a keyboard most days (and nights, goon4life) and that area gets tense as gently caress.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I generally encourage lifting weights as a supplement to grappling but I think beginners should try to be conscious of when they're falling back on strength instead of technique. Especially if you're already strong when you start BJJ, you're going to rely on strength ALL THE TIME. I'm a pretty experienced grappler and when I start hitting the weights I find myself trying to muscle through positions. I do it because it feels cool and often/usually works. Problem is there will ALWAYS be someone stronger, and relying on strength is setting yourself up to fail against that person. Technique is what beats that guy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I would imagine that in a normal school you don't have as much access to high level guys to roll with. They are teaching me a lot too but a lot of it is just getting my rear end kicked over and over.

Kinda curious as to why you assume these guys are all high level. You're going to get your rear end kicked for a long time (forever) first order of business is to probably stop lifting for a little bit and focus on using and learning technique instead of strength.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

vulturesrow posted:

I was doing 5 / 3 / 1 Big but boring when I started BJJ almost 2 years ago. I had to stop, it was to much to lift 4x a week and BJJ 3 days a week. Now I do BJJ 4 or more days a week, 2 or 3 classes with rolling and 1 or 2 days open mat rolling. I switched to a version of kettelbell "simple but sinister" program 2x a week. I use heavy kettle bells (53lbs, 70lbs, and 88lbs)

However, Jim Wendler has a specific 5 / 3 / 1 routine for MMA and that's pretty much BJJ + striking so you could use that. I guess he re-did his blog so the only copy I find was a copy / paste job, but basically you are doing 5 / 3 / 1 big lifts 2 days a week with no accessory work.

http://evolutionaryathletics.com/blogs/blog/531-and-mma-by-jim-wendler/

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

JaySB posted:

Kinda curious as to why you assume these guys are all high level. You're going to get your rear end kicked for a long time (forever) first order of business is to probably stop lifting for a little bit and focus on using and learning technique instead of strength.

Basically from what they've told me about their background and from watching them roll against each other. One guy was a wrestler/judo guy since he was a kid. Picked up BJJ a little later in life but he is very very good. We have another guy who trained (and competed) in MMA for 4 years who is also very good. We have a couple more guys who are very good but not quite on the same level as those two. There are a couple more who are kind of the next step down. I feel like once I learn a little more I might actually have somewhat of a shot against them. Unfortunately they don't seem to show up very often.

I've tried to be cognizant of not muscling my way out of everything and not being a spazz. I'm sure I still using too much muscle since I'm still internalizing the technique but I've done a pretty good job of not being a spazz at least. Which is important since I'm probably one of the stronger guys in the group and definitely the biggest. The guy who I said was a wrestler is pretty close to me in size though.

spandexcajun posted:

I was doing 5 / 3 / 1 Big but boring when I started BJJ almost 2 years ago. I had to stop, it was to much to lift 4x a week and BJJ 3 days a week. Now I do BJJ 4 or more days a week, 2 or 3 classes with rolling and 1 or 2 days open mat rolling. I switched to a version of kettelbell "simple but sinister" program 2x a week. I use heavy kettle bells (53lbs, 70lbs, and 88lbs)

However, Jim Wendler has a specific 5 / 3 / 1 routine for MMA and that's pretty much BJJ + striking so you could use that. I guess he re-did his blog so the only copy I find was a copy / paste job, but basically you are doing 5 / 3 / 1 big lifts 2 days a week with no accessory work.

http://evolutionaryathletics.com/blogs/blog/531-and-mma-by-jim-wendler/

Yup exactly what I was doing. Any more ideas on the kettlebell routine would be great, that was actually a direction I was thinking about going. Wonder if that Wendler MMA routine is in his newest book....

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You can't muscle out of everything if you're extremely weak

Think about it

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What do you guys think about training one side versus training two sides? What stuff do you think has to be unavoidably trained both sides?

All I've ever trained consistently on both sides is escapes, but I've changed my takedown game up a bit and now my takedowns mostly lead me to the side where I'm bad at passing... so I'm going to start training my passing game on both sides, but then it'll probably lead me to the side of side control where I'm worse at attacking, so I'm probably going to go on a north south adventure to get me back to my ideal attacking side... it's becoming stupid. So I think I'm also going to start flipping my favourite attacks to be double sided.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What do you guys think about training one side versus training two sides? What stuff do you think has to be unavoidably trained both sides?

All I've ever trained consistently on both sides is escapes, but I've changed my takedown game up a bit and now my takedowns mostly lead me to the side where I'm bad at passing... so I'm going to start training my passing game on both sides, but then it'll probably lead me to the side of side control where I'm worse at attacking, so I'm probably going to go on a north south adventure to get me back to my ideal attacking side... it's becoming stupid. So I think I'm also going to start flipping my favourite attacks to be double sided.

In my mind some things you can't choose your side, so you take what you get. Takedowns are the prime example of this, and that's why Judo demands some degree of ambidexterity. I still try to train every technique on both sides whenever I learn anything.

You don't necessarily need to be symmetrical, but you need to be able to have answers on either side. E.g. I can do any throw I know left handed, but in sparring I sometimes take a different approach because things don't always work as well. I'm particularly comfortable at nailing certain throws with backward grips, which allows me to do poo poo like force my opponent to fight left, and then I attack right. It also means that I'm still able to generate offence if someone takes a left-handed grip on me.

A very simple way of putting it is if your side control attacks on one side suck, practice getting around to the side you like.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I like this sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHIQ1BwiAA

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Head control to prevent the pass, Bronze, Paris

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

extremely my jam

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Memento posted:

I saw Joe Rogan sperging out about lacrosse balls and thought "my sister in law has some of those from when she played, maybe I'll give it a shot because I can get them for free"

Turns out they're super effective. I use one to release the muscles inboard of my shoulder blades and they work really, really well. I hunch over a keyboard most days (and nights, goon4life) and that area gets tense as gently caress.

be careful with using those near your joints, its better to use a foam roller and just use a golf or tennis ball or something for specific points of tension

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

drat that's slick

i've never hit a japanese necktie.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Wow, I decided last minute to PPV the Combat Jujitsu tournament (EBI slap Jujitsu) and the streaming is absolute poo poo!!

I went to inch by inch website, see a youtube preview video and then when I purches the PPV I have to install Flash (seriously? Flash?) and some lovely Flash player that does not do HD or chromecast is playing the event.

So, I'm watching on my laptop and it's a lovely standard definition steam. The first to matches were pretty boring, but I'm more mad at the lovely quality of the stream, unacceptable. Also the commentary sucks, they keep comparing this to the first UFC :eyeroll:

TL;DR, gently caress Eddy Bravo I can't believe I gave him money.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I survived the Imanari seminar with my ligaments intact.

First reflections:

• He demoed a couple things on me and all he had to do to cause pain in my knee was just take a heel hook grip, and his achilles lock was a flash tap too, and he wasn't even putting pressure on.
  • He puts huge emphasis on straight ankle locks and straight ankle lock drills. My guess is that this is because they're harder to finish properly than heel hooks, or at least they're safer to drill and they're still good for practising heel hooks.
  • I felt dumb and bad but apparently the brown and black belts were having trouble with some of his stuff too.
  • He seems like a cool dude but in rolls afterwards a few people touched his feet and something seems to snap in his brain.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

I survived the Imanari seminar with my ligaments intact.

First reflections:

• He demoed a couple things on me and all he had to do to cause pain in my knee was just take a heel hook grip, and his achilles lock was a flash tap too, and he wasn't even putting pressure on.
  • He puts huge emphasis on straight ankle locks and straight ankle lock drills. My guess is that this is because they're harder to finish properly than heel hooks, or at least they're safer to drill and they're still good for practising heel hooks.
  • I felt dumb and bad but apparently the brown and black belts were having trouble with some of his stuff too.
  • He seems like a cool dude but in rolls afterwards a few people touched his feet and something seems to snap in his brain.

Cool write up. I might be completely off base here but my guess on why he tilts when people touch his feet is that if he loses to another leglocker, it could affect his reputation and chances of booking seminars later on?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

Cool write up. I might be completely off base here but my guess on why he tilts when people touch his feet is that if he loses to another leglocker, it could affect his reputation and chances of booking seminars later on?

I saw it less as ego and more of as a "we're leg fighting? gently caress yes buckle up!" response. He never started a leg fight, but he ended many.

Like the guy obviously loves leg locks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

I.N.R.I posted:

be careful with using those near your joints, its better to use a foam roller and just use a golf or tennis ball or something for specific points of tension

Could you elaborate on this? A lot of people at my gym like the lacrosse balls. I don't see how a golf ball is much more forgiving than one of those. I foam roll large areas but I was thinking about picking up a lacrosse ball for smaller regions like my foot and shoulder.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Could you elaborate on this? A lot of people at my gym like the lacrosse balls. I don't see how a golf ball is much more forgiving than one of those. I foam roll large areas but I was thinking about picking up a lacrosse ball for smaller regions like my foot and shoulder.

theyre probably all as good as eachother so long as theyre reasonably firm and round .. i just say golf + tennis balls because i dont know what a lacrosse ball is like since ive never held one, the important part is that you dont use them on any joints or tendons or anywhere where there isnt significant muscle cos you can weaken or damage those areas. it would probably be a bad idea to use it on your foot, if the base of your foot is sore i think you should just stretch it regularly instead

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I almost got my first sub the other night, a kimura. However I screwed it up somehow which let him escape when I was trying to tighten it up. I think I let my weight off inadvlyertent which let him turn. But it was encouraging.

One thing I didn't mention in my initial post is that this group I'm learning to roll with is all no-gi. I read somewhere an opinion that starting off no-gi is not good for your bjj training but you take what you can get. No one wants to bring their gi on a ship.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I almost got my first sub the other night, a kimura. However I screwed it up somehow which let him escape when I was trying to tighten it up. I think I let my weight off inadvlyertent which let him turn. But it was encouraging.

One thing I didn't mention in my initial post is that this group I'm learning to roll with is all no-gi. I read somewhere an opinion that starting off no-gi is not good for your bjj training but you take what you can get. No one wants to bring their gi on a ship.

I think it depends more on your goals if anything else. If your goal is to be a mma fighter, then it wouldn't make sense to do a lot of gi training. As long as you're happy and you keep going back, I don't think gi or no gi matters when you start.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

vulturesrow posted:

I'd rather do all nogi than all gi and my suspicion is that starting No Gi is way better than starting Gi as no gi grips and techniques are all transferable to Gi but it's not true in reverse. My gym doesn't let you do no gi classes for sometime and my transition in was awkward because I had developed such a reliance on collar and sleeve grips.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

WayneCampbell posted:

I'd rather do all nogi than all gi and my suspicion is that starting No Gi is way better than starting Gi as no gi grips and techniques are all transferable to Gi but it's not true in reverse. My gym doesn't let you do no gi classes for sometime and my transition in was awkward because I had developed such a reliance on collar and sleeve grips.

Danaher wrote a needlessly lengthy article on the topic and the gist of it is that he believes that, for beginners, gi is better for teaching defense (more submissions available) and nogi is better for teaching offense (less friction and grips to rely on), but long-term bjj is about controlling someone's body and any clothing is only a means to that end.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 14, 2017

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Neon Belly posted:

Danaher wrote a needlessly lengthy article on the topic and the gist of it is that he believes that, for beginners, gi is better for teaching defense (more submissions available) and nogi is better for teaching offense (less friction and grips to rely on), but long-term bjj is about controlling someone's body and any clothing is only a means to that end.

Yeah -- I heard Renzo's doesn't let you take a NoGi class until you have 3 or 4 stripes.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

You probably didn't screw it up so much as he just knew the escape. Also, you shouldn't be worrying about getting subs. You should be focusing on learning fundamentals, defending, escaping, recovering, transitions. Yeah, getting a sub is nice but if that's all you're hunting starting out you're going to get discouraged pretty quick and not learn much.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Or worry about whatever you like. It's not a job and unless you'll be relying on it for self-defence or you're looking to actively compete in the near future just focus on whatever keeps you coming back, whether it's attempting submissions, fooling around with impractical leglocks or drilling bridges five million times to perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah, gently caress fundamentals.