Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I do not want my team to pay the posting fee for Otani. Is this a hot take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kind of since the posting fee has a max value now. Of... what, $25m?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

What can I offer to eat to get Otani to decide to be an Astro

Speaking of the tuna pie, I forgot I'm going to be in Miami from tomorrow night through the weekend so it'll have to be when I get back

Are the rest of the bananas still moldering in the fridge or did you eat them already?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

God I need to eat them still

Don't worry, I won't rob you guys by eating them off camera (because then I'd probably just lie and throw them away)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Intruder posted:

Don't worry, I won't rob you guys by eating them off camera (because then I'd probably just lie and throw them away)

i can no longer make a "no ring" joke

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

This is your toxx and others might not agree, but I'd be willing to let you add peanut butter into the mix if it would help things (and to make more of a monstrosity of a dish).

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'd seriously give you a pass if the ham hollandaise bananas have just been sitting in the fridge for a few days because that sounds vile. You paid the piper on that one.

However you still have to make the pie and eat the whole thing and puke everywhere for our amusement

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist?

1. Sign Cobb or Lynn, either of whom would (hopefully) be a good back of the rotation anchor.
2. Sign at least two of Reed, McGee, Duensing, and Cishek to beef up the pen.
3. Maybe sign Holland or Davis if the price isn't insane, but it's probably going to be.
4. If he'll accept a BUC position resign Avila, otherwise resign Rivera.
5. Don't panic and trade Schwarber for peanuts
6. Don't trade young major league talent for pitching and just give MiMo a loving starting job already, jfc

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'd allow for Intruder to stick the bananas in the freezer and eat them like popsicles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My compassion would leave it open to prepare a new batch because I'm not convinced what's left isn't toxic at this stage, but doing half a promise to the gods is just bad juju.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One banana eaten

I had to pause the video and will continue in a bit

Only two left

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

RIP

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

STAC Goat posted:

Of course I'd love to get Otani but as some point putting it on a "wishlist" feels like the kid who owns an XBox and a Playstation asking his parents for a Switch. It would be awesome if I get it, but I'm not "affluenza" enough to ask for it.

But this describes every Yankees fan every offseason and trade deadline.

I mainly want him because I think he fills a need for the Yankees in terms of front of the rotation-caliber starter and maybe even DH (which became super obvious in the playoffs). Having a DH spot to rotate and rest players is nice during the regular season but you're gonna be starting all your regulars in the playoffs anyway and it was a huge weakness for the Yankees this year (they went 0 for 28 until Headley got the first hit for a Yanks DH in game 3 of the ALCS).

Intruder posted:

Kind of since the posting fee has a max value now. Of... what, $25m?

In the system that just expired, it was $20m that goes directly to the team that is posting him and then the player just gets whatever teams have available in their international pool money and then is forced to sign a minor league contract (because Otani is under 25y/o). This is why people aren't sure if he'll be posted yet. The MLBPA is concerned about the fact that the team that's posting him is getting a much bigger amount than the player, so they haven't agreed to the exception offered by MLB that allows Otani to be posted under this same rule. It's their own fault for agreeing to this system in the first place, though.

If Otani were 25, I believe he could just sign with whoever offered him the biggest major league contract and the team that posted him would get 15% of the value of the contract.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

One banana eaten

I had to pause the video and will continue in a bit

Only two left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxfi7XMS8pw

:ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is the pie this weekend?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

Is the pie this weekend?

No I'll be out of town all weekend visiting my sister in Miami

ihatepants posted:

In the system that just expired, it was $20m that goes directly to the team that is posting him and then the player just gets whatever teams have available in their international pool money and then is forced to sign a minor league contract (because Otani is under 25y/o). This is why people aren't sure if he'll be posted yet. The MLBPA is concerned about the fact that the team that's posting him is getting a much bigger amount than the player, so they haven't agreed to the exception offered by MLB that allows Otani to be posted under this same rule. It's their own fault for agreeing to this system in the first place, though.

If Otani were 25, I believe he could just sign with whoever offered him the biggest major league contract and the team that posted him would get 15% of the value of the contract.

I assumed the objection was that the posting fee is so much, not that the player gets hosed

e: My wife is excited I made hollandaise from scratch and wants me to make eggs benedict with it. I on the other hand never want to taste hollandaise again

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 8, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fair enough, consider your deadline extended for the pie. Enjoy Miami!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hey now my deadline wasn't until a week from today anyway :colbert:

The deadline for the bananas was today though

Speaking of which, the video is uploading

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ihatepants posted:

But this describes every Yankees fan every offseason and trade deadline.

I mainly want him because I think he fills a need for the Yankees in terms of front of the rotation-caliber starter and maybe even DH (which became super obvious in the playoffs). Having a DH spot to rotate and rest players is nice during the regular season but you're gonna be starting all your regulars in the playoffs anyway and it was a huge weakness for the Yankees this year (they went 0 for 28 until Headley got the first hit for a Yanks DH in game 3 of the ALCS).

I mean, yes, he fits a Yankee "need" but if a potential front of the rotation starter who can also hit doesn't fit a role on your team you're either a very good team or a very bad one.

I don't think you worry about your postseason DH in the winter. You have 7 months to figure that out once Spring Training starts and you have to make the playoffs over 162 games before you can worry about 1 of 9 bats in the lineup. There could be a dozen different potential DHs from the current Yankee personnel and without any surprises or trades. Again, of course Otani fits and would be a huge boon but I think it would just be silly for the Yanks to see DH as a big money, locked in necessity this winter.

In general I'm just not a big coveter of huge free agent signings. Maybe that's some "rich guilt" as a Yankee fan. Maybe its a sense of fairness. Maybe its dread over so many Ellsbury type contracts that have come and gone. Maybe its a love of a more organic team. I don't know. But I'm not sure I've actively wished for a big winter acquisition in my time as a Yankee fan. And more often than not I was always the grinch amongst my fans when the move was made.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hello friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqaXz-e1UG4

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Did you reheat them?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I did not

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just watching that made my stomach turn. Even with the improved texture, there's no way I'd have eaten two day old refrigerated ham bananas hollandaise.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Notice how congealed the hollandaise is at this point

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
:911:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Intruder you are a crazy man for not only accomplishing this Toxx but following through two days later :stonk:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I did not

You glorious bastard. The way the third one jiggles, too...ugh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Notice how congealed the hollandaise is at this point

You managed to find the only non-Jello Great American Cookbook recipe and turn it into jello.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
TMZ apparently has video of Halladay's plane going down. Some people were in a boat and saw a plane behaving erratically and of course whipped out their phones because that's the society we live in now.

TMZ is saying he was hot dogging it and lost control, but there seems to be some debate that there may have been some sort of mechanical failure.

You've been warned.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/08/roy-halladay-plane-crash-video-witnesses-showboating/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I am not going to watch that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was about to make a joke about how I didn't toxx to watch Intruder eat that and get myself sick... but that no feels wildly inappropriate with faces of death videos popping up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I am not going to watch that

I hate that kinda stuff and peoples morbid fascination with someone dieing.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The video doesn't show anything, for what its worth. Shows a plane flying low to the water going away from the camera and after about 3 seconds its a tiny spec in the video and the video doesn't show the plane crashing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Intruder you are a crazy man for not only accomplishing this Toxx but following through two days later :stonk:

I needed time to mentally recover from the first three I ate (and then I realized today was the deadline so welp)

Also now I'll never have to eat them again

The pie will probably be more than two sessions

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Which pretty much matches up with this tweet:
https://twitter.com/RoyHalladay/status/925328575372423168
Ugh.

And yeah - the video isn't remotely graphic. Just creepy - the actual crash isn't shown. There's a second video taken from the boat as it races towards and arrives at the wreckage though. Still not graphic, but equally disturbing.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/928396502749405184

He was only 17. :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress, dying of cancer at 17...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Michael Felger making GBS threads on Halladay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist?

Giants:

1. Get a good RF instead of their bad one
2. Get a good CF instead of their bad one
3. Get a LF instead of... IDK
4. Get a 3B in case Arroyo isn't ready
5. Get a solid Middle Reliever, preferably LH

Basically replace all their bad players with good ones

• Locked thread