Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jon joe posted:

DDLC is bad because if it wasn’t anime, no one would care. Anime nerds love anything they can point to for saying, “see, anime is deep”

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't there a dedicated DDLC/VN thread by now?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I mean, looking like a generic anime VN is literally it's initial draw. It just so happens that it's a generic creepypasta instead of a generic VN.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

To my knowledge the only good Visual Novels were made by Cing (Hotel Dusk, Last Window etc) and near everything else is low-rent anime-trash that clogs up Steam. It helped that the Cing games had production-values, a unique and pleasing art-style, and a greater degree of interactivity beyond choosing the next dialogue option. Haven't played the Nonary Games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You forgot Hatoful Boyfriend

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ace Attorney are pretty good visual novels and I dont care who knows I like them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Did the multiple 'things I hate in videogames' threads get shut down or something? Why is this thread suddenly swarmed with people making GBS threads on things?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Barudak posted:

Ace Attorney are pretty good visual novels and I dont care who knows I like them.

I love every Ace Attorney game. Even that one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

jojoinnit posted:

This is the best game I've played in years. I've never seen a silly shooter (as in, no care for realism, dual wield shotguns and eat dog food for health) be so goddamn profound.

It ain't a shooter, but the same thing could also be applied to Metal Gear: Revengeance.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

I literally just saw that bit and came here to post it and decided to at least read the current page and I can't believe I've been beaten to it so recently!

This is the best game I've played in years. I've never seen a silly shooter (as in, no care for realism, dual wield shotguns and eat dog food for health) be so goddamn profound.

His "gently caress you moon" is just delivered so perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NieCPnEXqpY&t=94s

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

haveblue posted:

Isn't there a dedicated DDLC/VN thread by now?

DDLC does have its own thread and man, if ever you wanted to read a thread where every page is a solid wall of spoiler bars, you can head on down there. It's completely unreadable. (There also isn't really a ton to talk about.)

flatluigi posted:

Did the multiple 'things I hate in videogames' threads get shut down or something? Why is this thread suddenly swarmed with people making GBS threads on things?

The bad thread is still open, but people want to make sure you know they don't like thing I guess. :shrug:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the worst post I've ever seen.

:yeah:

I have been watching a lot of the new mario and I just love all the costumes. Nowadays it's easy to imagine the costumes being locked behind dlc or premium currency or something, but they're all standard unlockables, and they're all so cute! I especially like the fancy tux and the aviator outfit (w/ captains hat)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

jon joe posted:

DDLC is bad because if it wasn’t anime, no one would care. Anime nerds love anything they can point to for saying, “see, anime is deep”

Even in anime it's been done before, the idea of a crazy girl who unexpectedly snaps and kills and tortures people is practically a stock archetype at this point. And there have already been plenty of horror VNs that cover the same material.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Eela6 posted:

:yeah:

I have been watching a lot of the new mario and I just love all the costumes. Nowadays it's easy to imagine the costumes being locked behind dlc or premium currency or something, but they're all standard unlockables, and they're all so cute! I especially like the fancy tux and the aviator outfit (w/ captains hat)

The best costume is the wedding dress, hands down.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ghost Trick is also the best visual novel ever so

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I just started playing Earthbound again and I made my favorite food dick and my mom told Pokey, "You don't like dick, do you Pokey? Well T-O-O B-A-D."

I love Earthbound.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Playing Destiny 2 and after the intro you lose your powers and are cooked. Right after this happens they give you a ledge you can’t jump onto without your double jump, so you have to walk over to an outcrop and use that to get the necessary height. Pretty slick.

Also when you are doing the whole walking around powerless thing they give you the sickest track to listen to.

They added a ledge clamber thing, where if you didn't quite make the jump your character automatically pulls themselves up

that's how you're supposed to get past that ledge, no need to jump off another thing

but points for ingenuity, I guess?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Calaveron posted:

Ghost Trick is also the best visual novel ever so

Ghost trick is one of my all time favorite games. I kinda want to make the bass part of the prologue my ringtone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVBDt3VRDfA&t=14s

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

DDLC does have its own thread and man, if ever you wanted to read a thread where every page is a solid wall of spoiler bars, you can head on down there. It's completely unreadable. (There also isn't really a ton to talk about.)

The bad thread is still open, but people want to make sure you know they don't like thing I guess. :shrug:

I'm starting to think we ought to just merge the two threads. It feels more natural to post your disagreement here than to pop in to other thread that is basically all the same people.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s a real different attitude in the two threads though. Sometimes people in this thread aren’t really looking for a bitchfest about every petty nuisance in a game that they like, and sometimes it’s nice to just have a place to commiserate without annoying everyone else. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I'm starting to think we ought to just merge the two threads. It feels more natural to post your disagreement here than to pop in to other thread that is basically all the same people.

I avoid the other thread honestly specifically because it becomes a lot of really annoying complaining, I'd rather not see them be the same thread.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I avoid the other thread honestly specifically because it becomes a lot of really annoying complaining, I'd rather not see them be the same thread.

:same:

Okay so in the Half-Life series there are headcrabs, parasitic beasts which latch onto your head and turn you into a shambling, gibberish screaming zombie. In Half-Life 2, the Combine use headcrabs as boilogical weapons. In Half Life 2: Episodes 1&2, because of your actions in HL2, the Combine have lost control of the headcrabs and occasionally you get a zombified Combine soldier running around.

The neat thing is that Combine soldiers have artificial larynxes which give them very deep, mechanical sounding voices. If you aren't listening closely when a Zombine stumbles by you might think that they are just mumbling and groaning the same gibberish that the other zombies are screaming. If you listen, though, you can actually make out words.

*beep* "Necrotics... inbound..."
"...parasitics...."
"...sector is... not... secure." *beep*

They're still conscious enough to warn their fellow soldiers about the danger. Imagine hearing that over your radio.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ariong posted:

Okay so in the Half-Life series there are headcrabs, parasitic beasts which latch onto your head and turn you into a shambling, gibberish screaming zombie. In Half-Life 2, the Combine use headcrabs as boilogical weapons. In Half Life 2: Episodes 1&2, because of your actions in HL2, the Combine have lost control of the headcrabs and occasionally you get a zombified Combine soldier running around.

The neat thing is that Combine soldiers have artificial larynxes which give them very deep, mechanical sounding voices. If you aren't listening closely when a Zombine stumbles by you might think that they are just mumbling and groaning the same gibberish that the other zombies are screaming. If you listen, though, you can actually make out words.

"...parasitics...."

They're still conscious enough to warn their fellow soldiers about the danger. Imagine hearing that over your radio.
:aaaaa:
that also explains why they would suicide by just holding up a grenade and running at you

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Regular headcrab victims speak too, but its reversed. Nothing very profound, just varying degrees of “help/kill me” but it’s still a neat touch.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Echoing the writing in the Wolfenstein games there is a section where a character tells BJ over the radio to avoid killing any Nazis.

Bj then proceeds to fake static noises while going "Kill all the Nazis? Ok!"

You then go and kill all of the nazis.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lechtansi posted:

Ghost trick is one of my all time favorite games. I kinda want to make the bass part of the prologue my ringtone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVBDt3VRDfA&t=14s

That's just dumb and stupid. Clearly you should be using the Panic Dance! :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgilCN-7Ar4

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SkeletonHero posted:

Regular headcrab victims speak too, but its reversed. Nothing very profound

If you think "YABBA MY ICING" isn't profound, you're a Philestine. :frogout:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ariong posted:

"...parasitics...."

For an enemy that you'll be killing by the hundreds without a second thought, a lot of thought went into the Combine soldier's visual design, which I like. In Episode 2, they have more mud on their boots, because they've all been marching out in the wilderness after you. There's also a bit where they have them blend between two different walk cycles so they all aren't marching in lockstep.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Nov 9, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Here's another fun headcrab fact. The ones in Half-Life 2 have no eyes. Now you might be thinking, well, that's nothing new. Not true! This is a headcrab from Half-Life. Look very closely.

Not only does it have eyes, it has six of them!

Poison Headcrabs will reduce your health to one if they hit you, but your HEV suit will administer an antitoxin to restore it. This is a function of the HEV suit, which you can tell because when an NPC gets bitten by one, their health won't come back. That applies to all NPCs except for Father Grigori, who is immune to their venom! This is probably just a gameplay contreivance to make sure he doesn't get killed offscreen, but I like to imagine he made himself immune to it like Tim Friede.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't see any eyes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Here's another fun headcrab fact. The ones in Half-Life 2 have no eyes. Now you might be thinking, well, that's nothing new. Not true! This is a headcrab from Half-Life. Look very closely.
Headcrabs in HL 1 also had a different walk animation where they kept their front legs pointed up in the air instead walking on them like they do in the second one, iirc. A friend had a theory that the differences were because of Combine genetic engineering, which is also where the different types cane from.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I don't see any eyes.

Bottom left and right side of its head, theyre extremely difficult to see even if you are looking for them. They're kind of in the area where it looks more angled, right above the pointy triangle parts.

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Nov 9, 2017

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

Regular headcrab victims speak too, but its reversed. Nothing very profound, just varying degrees of “help/kill me” but it’s still a neat touch.

Super creepy and I should not have watched this video in a dark house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CP30zgAw2o

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Don Gato posted:

Headcrabs in HL 1 also had a different walk animation where they kept their front legs pointed up in the air instead walking on them like they do in the second one, iirc. A friend had a theory that the differences were because of Combine genetic engineering, which is also where the different types cane from.

Maybe something like atomic gardening with headcrabs?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been influenced by a friend into playing through the Megaman Legacy Collection, which I'm doing sequentially, and I just tonight finished Mega Man 1. It's not a game with a difficulty curve that's aged well, but it gets pretty fun. I did think it a little weird though that they bound the non-menu pause, which existed for that game only, to LB. NES games don't cover a lot of buttons, but that one did feel a little far away from the rest of the control scheme.

Then, in the Wily stages, I realized why: It's very easy to press independent of every other button in use.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The roaches in HL1 actually have some interesting AI routines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elwb2lV88hM

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I picked BOTW back up after tiring myself out on it, and god, it is SO satisfying to one-shot the Guardians after they were such a terror in the early stages of the game.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm playing through Transformers: Devastation. The game isn't terribly deep, not that I'm expecting that from a Platinum game, and the gameplay itself is just so-so. I'm still having fun with it though, based almost entirely on the visuals and sound. It's an extremely bright and colorful game with G1 Transformer cartoon graphics, and a lot of the original voice actors reprised their roles.

Also, every time you transform it makes the classic Transformers sound effect and it just makes me feel like a kid again.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crypt of the NecroDancer (and its AMPLIFIED prequel DLC) is on sale for 80% off on Steam! Thanks again for getting it onto my radar.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

if you set your outfit to random in Mario Odyssey it changes it up every time you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hirayuki posted:

Crypt of the NecroDancer (and its AMPLIFIED prequel DLC) is on sale for 80% off on Steam! Thanks again for getting it onto my radar.

Necrodancer is such a drat good game. Lately I’ve been playing it a lot and really digging into the DLC (which is super great too).

It’s one of those games like Nuclear Throne that just seems monumentally tough, but once you get used to it you start to see the patterns and you’re able to predict things and make educated choices on the fly.

I’m at the point now where I can string wins together (with the easy characters, granted) and it feels so drat good.