Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do miss Reali cat calling from off camera though.

*dumb joke in cold open*

Reali (off camera off mic): "Aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooo!"

edit: Does LeBatard still BAM when he co-hosts? Or did that gag die like, 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

quote:

Apparently unsatisfied with the repugnance of his takes, Felger decided to let his listeners know that he is glad Dale Earnhardt died during a NASCAR race. “Was it Dale Earnhardt who died? The race car driver who died? I root for the wall. I really do. That ain’t no tragedy ... I’m supposed to feel bad for you? Give me a break. Oh God,” he said.

Jesus Christ :stare:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

algebra testes posted:

I watched PTI for the first time in like, 5 years last night.

It's still good? And easy to see why it spawned so many imitators.

PTI's biggest asset is that their takes are interesting but not like "hot takes" a lot of the time. And obviously the natural chemistry. The way that Mike is always calling into Tony's podcast and talking about how he calls him on the weekend makes it clear that they're actually friends which is kinda sweet, even if they're both giant idiot gas bags.

Originally Tony was the stereotypical old white dude and Wilbon had some quality refreshing takes, but somewhere along the way Wilbon became starstruck and started huffing his own farts. Now Wilbon is the old white dude and Tony is the more interesting fellow

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Originally Tony was the stereotypical old white dude and Wilbon had some quality refreshing takes, but somewhere along the way Wilbon became starstruck and started huffing his own farts. Now Wilbon is the old white dude and Tony is the more interesting fellow

I think the main difference is that Wilbon got image-conscious and started becoming more of a "persona" rather than giving his honest opinions, depending on which athletes he's buddies or feuding with. Meanwhile, Tony doesn't give a poo poo and is basically the same person he's always been, which is almost refreshing in today's Hot Take Artist era.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah he strikes me as that guy that never got out of the teenage LOOK HOW EDGY I AM phase

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I cannot remember a single time where Wilbon wasn’t also the stereotypical old guy. If anything Tony tends to be the less stubborn of the two which is saying something. Literally anything Wilbon dislikes in sports is the fault of “analytics” a word he defintiely does not actually know the definition of.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wilbon is also annoying because he is ESPN's go to for "How people in Chicago feel about X"

And he is so cosmically disconnected from anything chicago sports nowadays.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looping back to the whole "they're good friends" bit, I think it's why Fox has been advertising "First Things First" as sort of a "Two friends talking sports" show, especially with showing that Nick Wright is supposedly an average guy, as opposed to Undisputed where it's clearly Skip and Shannon arguing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I generally like Nick Wright. And Cris Carter surprised the hell out of me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexo posted:

I generally like Nick Wright. And Cris Carter surprised the hell out of me.

I had never heard of him prior, to be fair.

Or well, the name didn't ring any immediate bells.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Dexo posted:

Wilbon is also annoying because he is ESPN's go to for "How people in Chicago feel about X"

And he is so cosmically disconnected from anything chicago sports nowadays.

I will never forgive Michael Wilbon for the shameful way he blamed Sean Taylor for his own death. That the intervening years have turned him into a crotchety old man yelling at clouds, analytics and DC sports fans has done nothing to change that opinion.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Listen you bozos I talked to my friend EARVIN MAGIC JOHNSON and he told me that MICHAEL JORDAN would wipe the floor with these young upstarts!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

iospace posted:

Looping back to the whole "they're good friends" bit, I think it's why Fox has been advertising "First Things First" as sort of a "Two friends talking sports" show, especially with showing that Nick Wright is supposedly an average guy, as opposed to Undisputed where it's clearly Skip and Shannon arguing.

I would consider watching FTF if I wasn’t dead asleep when it was airing live.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know anything about Nick Wright besides him being the guy who went on national radio shows saying the Warriors were worse off signing Kevin Durant.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iospace posted:

Things I didn't know I needed in my life.

the only ESPN programming worth watching/listening to comes out of the second floor of a South Beach hotel and features things like an elderly Cuban man miming snakes whenever he talks about LeBron/DWade, lengthy discussions about a producer's days working at Victoria's Secret, and them dressing up as the "Robert Smith Mashup" (football pads and a Vikings jersey over eyeliner, lipstick, and a stringy wig) because they picked the wrong football team out of a bucket

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

the only ESPN programming worth watching/listening to comes out of the second floor of a South Beach hotel and features things like an elderly Cuban man miming snakes whenever he talks about LeBron/DWade, lengthy discussions about a producer's days working at Victoria's Secret, and them dressing up as the "Robert Smith Mashup" (football pads and a Vikings jersey over eyeliner, lipstick, and a stringy wig) because they picked the wrong football team out of a bucket

this is the truth

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

I had never heard of him prior, to be fair.

Or well, the name didn't ring any immediate bells.

I used to lurk on a local KC sports message board Nick Wright posted on while he was going to school and later just getting started.

He would sound out things with the internet (albeit more of a group of idiot friends, there were never more than like 50 users, or 25 regulars) about his show. I don't know if this is a point in his favor or not.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so I have to say, Fox's scoring bugs, at least for baseball and hockey are pretty good. Baseball tells you exactly what you want to know, batter AB history (or average if 1st time up), pitcher pitch count/pitch MPH, score, count, outs, inning, and people on base. Hockey now includes the shot count which is cool. The flat colors grew on me after a while.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea the Fox hockey thing is top notch

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSBoston/status/929062298806824965

also i can't listen to kornheiser's podcast anymore because his loyalty to the same people means chris cillizza will always be around

and it just feels really out of touch

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Just a 3 day suspension?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/930120106838855680

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSBoston/status/929062298806824965

also i can't listen to kornheiser's podcast anymore because his loyalty to the same people means chris cillizza will always be around

and it just feels really out of touch

Wait why does a sports guy have loving Chris Cilizza on his podcast?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

First draft names for shows are the best.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Hot Take Machine

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol if they put that on the main ESPN Sirius channel and bump Golic to ESPN Extra. Not that it matters, since they're a channel apart, but still.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wait why does a sports guy have loving Chris Cilizza on his podcast?

konrheiser's made it pretty clear over the years the show isn't strictly sports

speaking of satellite radio

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/930155811854102528

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Good. Now it can stop making GBS threads up the one I listen to

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lol stephen a. keeps giving

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mike francesa's replacements

https://twitter.com/NYDNSports/status/930253102745309184

i heard carlin was doing afternoons in philly to probably warm up for this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have never understood why anyone not from New York would give even the slightest poo poo about mike and/or the mad dog

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I have never understood why anyone not from New York would give even the slightest poo poo about mike and/or the mad dog

Some people are just really into sports radio for some reason. My roommate used to listen to Francesa (mostly because it’s entertaining when he fucks up) and also listens to Toucher and Rich out of Boston.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

They're going at it as fast as they can

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
In seriousness though, the WFAN AM transmitter hits most of the eastern seaboard and you can pick it up in Florida.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

In seriousness though, the WFAN AM transmitter hits most of the eastern seaboard and you can pick it up in Florida.

Yeah, 660AM is clear channel.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

exploded mummy posted:

You can pick up WHO for a long way too but no one ever wants to hear my Gary Dolphin takes

Like I get that New York is very big and has lots of people I just don’t know why people not from there want to hear some fat old guy hollering about the Mets or whatever

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 14, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

You can pick up WHO for a long way too but no one ever wants to hear my Gary Dolphin takes

Like I get that New York is very big and has lots of people I just don’t know why people not from there want to hear some fat old guy hollering about the Mets or whatever

They weren't strictly NY oriented. Focused, sure. They generally spent the first hour or two discussing NY sports in general, and then went onto more broader topics. They did take a ton of calls from different regions and cities. (It didn't hurt that just about all of the major rivals for NY teams could get WFAN)

Also listening to fans bitch about the Mets and Jets sucking is extremely cathartic to anyone not a Mets or Jets fan so I dunno what to tell you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

USMNT playing Portugal in a friendly and of all loving people to have on as guest commentator, Fox has Bruce loving Arena :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I love that they use the wrong form of "its" in their announcement tweet. Just seems so very Barstool.