Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CyberPingu posted:

If you are using RGB as a way of identifying keys in the dark id recommend getting some proper lighting for your desk otherwise you are going to screw up your eyes. (I have RGB at home and i love sparkling things too)

True. I guess I would consider RGB as more of a looks thing than anything that's actually helpful. I should get a good lamp...

I think I'll keep doing some more research. RGB I can take or leave, but I really like the MK Disco's button-swapping dip switch - maybe I can find a TKL with clears that has one of those.

EDIT: Given that clears don't work well with LEDs, does that mean RGB keyboards with clears like this one aren't a good idea? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=997 Guess that's something I wouldn't have caught onto without knowing about the clears thing.

Also, is it just me, or are clear switches a lot rarer than other colors?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Single or even double light keyboards like that work fine. They simply mount the LEDs outside the switch housing as a lil nubbin. RGB switches mount the LEDs inside the switch housing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Yeah backlit clears are fine. If I could be arsed id put LEDs in my ergodox which has clears.

If you want RGB then go for it. That MK board looks nice.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

EDIT: Given that clears don't work well with LEDs, does that mean RGB keyboards with clears like this one aren't a good idea? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=997 Guess that's something I wouldn't have caught onto without knowing about the clears thing.

That keyboard doesn't have RGB lighting?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Does anyone have a suggestion for a wireless, preferably rechargable, full size keyboard for mostly gaming? I can give or take other bells and whistles and I'd prefer to find something under $100. I have a g710+ (the brown one) right now which I like but I want to switch to wireless.

I've found the keys sometimes don't come back up quite fast enough (for things with precise timing) because I bottom out with them but I don't know if I should go with a lighter switch that comes up faster or a heavier switch so I don't bottom out?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Keep an eye out for anything new that uses Halo Clears (by Input Club). They're very similar in feel to MX Clears, maybe a bit more "deliberate" feeling if that makes sense. Anyway, they have the RGB compatible transparent housing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eh, gently caress it - I'll go with the MK Disco. Browns are probably fine, anyway.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

pr0zac posted:

That keyboard doesn't have RGB lighting?

Nope. Each key has a two way LED that can light up either Red or Blue.

True RGB lighting allows each key to light up in some combination of Red, Blue, and Green values that will result in the key having any color of the rainbow.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

teethgrinder posted:

Keep an eye out for anything new that uses Halo Clears (by Input Club). They're very similar in feel to MX Clears, maybe a bit more "deliberate" feeling if that makes sense. Anyway, they have the RGB compatible transparent housing.

There’s a whole poo poo show involving the Halo Clears and Massdrop (Input Club sold the patent rights to Massdrop because they put too much faith in human kindness). Input Club just put up preorders for the “Hako Clear” switch on https://kono.store and they’ve apparently changed the tooling enough to sell it themselves and get around the patent situation.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

mewse posted:

I think if you wanted to put godspeed on it you would've had to have ordered the TSAFOX modifiers.

Yeah, I didn't see them in the latest drop unfortunately, I think they went with a non-standard blanks set. I have enough weird modifiers for everything but the shift key though.

CyberPingu posted:

Id checkout /r/mechmarket, usually guys sell off random caps on there so you may be able to pick up some spares from other GodSpeed sets.

Good call, I'll check in February when the newest drop starts arriving, gotta imagine people who did order the blanks will have extras.

Matching non-standard keycaps with weird keyboards is a hell of a thing~

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a wireless, preferably rechargable, full size keyboard for mostly gaming? I can give or take other bells and whistles and I'd prefer to find something under $100. I have a g710+ (the brown one) right now which I like but I want to switch to wireless.

I've found the keys sometimes don't come back up quite fast enough (for things with precise timing) because I bottom out with them but I don't know if I should go with a lighter switch that comes up faster or a heavier switch so I don't bottom out?

Logitech g613, also you want a heavier switch which won’t come from Logitech.

Ditch the wireless requirement and we can give a better recommendation.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And if tenkeyless is acceptable over full-size, Varmilos are an option for wireless.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
My first keycap purchase: SA Godspeed Solar Alphas and Novelties arrived in my home mailbox from Massdrop without incident:

had a heckuva time figuring out which arrow keys went on which row

Should be getting the Modifiers set delivered straight to my office tomorrow.

unrelated: ugh this is so bad https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-combat/

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 9, 2017

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

There’s a whole poo poo show involving the Halo Clears and Massdrop (Input Club sold the patent rights to Massdrop because they put too much faith in human kindness). Input Club just put up preorders for the “Hako Clear” switch on https://kono.store and they’ve apparently changed the tooling enough to sell it themselves and get around the patent situation.

Yeah, if you care to follow the saga the latest update is here.

Here are force curves for Hako True, Hako Clear, and, for reference, the force curve for Topre 30g and 45g. (I couldn't find a better force curve source for Topre, and I could find nothing for the 55g, so better links are welcome.)

Recall that the Halo Trues were intended to mimic the Topre force curve, and the Hako Trues are ostensibly the Halo True replacements. Meanwhile, the Halo Clears mimic Cherry Clears, and the Hako Clears replace the Halo Clears. All fairly straightforward.

Except maybe not? Not only do the force curves for the Hako Trues look quite different from the Topre curve (and the Halo True curve too, for that matter), they're not even being positioned as comparable to Topre. Meanwhile, the Hako Clear is getting marketed as "approximate[ly] a mixture between a Cherry MX Clear and a Topre switch."

Oh, and fulfillment has slipped to mid-February from January 30. It was originally going to be mid-December. Given the issues this project has had, I'm surprised it will just be two months late. (If, indeed, it is only two months late.)

I can't say I'm shocked that a Kickstarter has had issues, and this is 100% what I expected after things went sideways with Massdrop. Nonetheless, my expectations are set very, very low right now. If I didn't just love the Whitefox look and layout I'd probably bail; the Kaihua switches and Cherry Clears they're offering as alternatives don't do it for me. I suppose I could get a kit and get whatever switches I wanted, but that's a lot more work than I wanted to put in at this point.

And besides, I'm driven by semi-morbid curiosity and dark humor. In terms of laughs, this is the gift that keeps on giving.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Keyboards are great.

Code with browns, and the Midnight Galaxy keycaps from Pheilcia.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
^^ True. Nice keeb! I got another variety of Phelicia keycap and learned the hard way I'm not as good of a touch typer as I thought, but man they're pretty.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

My first keycap purchase: SA Godspeed Solar Alphas and Novelties arrived in my home mailbox from Massdrop without incident:

drat that makes me excited for mine to arrive, looks great! Post pics when you get it all put together please.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

unpronounceable posted:

Keyboards are great.

Code with browns, and the Midnight Galaxy keycaps from Pheilcia.

My keyboard does the same thing under a blacklight

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Modus Pwnens posted:

My keyboard does the same thing under a blacklight

That took me way too long to get.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Where can I get keycaps with the letters printed in Comic Sans? I need this to annoy someone.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Collateral Damage posted:

Where can I get keycaps with the letters printed in Comic Sans? I need this to annoy someone.
Probably the WASD DIY design service would be appropriate since the legends will probably wear off but not until after the joke does. It'd take some work on your part but it'd be feasible.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/designer/index.php?action=main&model=104-Key%20Custom%20Cherry%20MX%20Keycap%20Set&case=v2

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It will cost you more than the joke is worth.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a coworker who's one of those rabid "Comic Sans is literally worse than hitler!" people.

I'm not going to get a complete keyset, but it would be funny to replace something like the Ctrl/Alt or insert-block caps and see how long it takes for him to notice.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I have a coworker who's one of those rabid "Comic Sans is literally worse than hitler!" people.

I'm not going to get a complete keyset, but it would be funny to replace something like the Ctrl/Alt or insert-block caps and see how long it takes for him to notice.

I assume you send all emails to him in CS already yeah?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Hey thread, I'm looking for a good but normal looking 100% board. Is it better to get a white Masterkeys L and then get some better caps for it or try to save some money so I could later buy a Leopold or Vortex? G104 looks simple and elegant enough and I don't care about backlight.

I'm in EU so any of the US vendors are off the table.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking for a good but normal looking 100% board. Is it better to get a white Masterkeys L and then get some better caps for it or try to save some money so I could later buy a Leopold or Vortex? G104 looks simple and elegant enough and I don't care about backlight.

I'm in EU so any of the US vendors are off the table.

Leopold is a good shout and id go with them over others. Might want to watch out as i think Leopolds have a weird bottom row that can make finding custom caps a bit of a pain. but i can double check that for you

Edit. here is a spacing guide https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keycap_guides#wiki_key_spacing

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Logitech g613, also you want a heavier switch which won’t come from Logitech.

Ditch the wireless requirement and we can give a better recommendation.

teethgrinder posted:

And if tenkeyless is acceptable over full-size, Varmilos are an option for wireless.

Unfortunately wireless is like the one thing I really want at the moment. G613 looks like a good deal for me at the moment since best buy has that and the mouse I want on sale. Gonna take a look at those Varmilos too. Thanks for the suggestions!

E: the full-size requirement is less important than the wireless.

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 9, 2017

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Bonus question: I know "gamer" keyboards are frowned upon but one of the local stores is clearing the warehouse and selling new 6GV2 for $50. Is it worth it at that price? Is it moddable?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I had a similar 7G. At the time I could not find keysets that accommodated the "big rear end enter key" layout, but I've seen them around since. Definitely rarer though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

foutre posted:

^^ True. Nice keeb! I got another variety of Phelicia keycap and learned the hard way I'm not as good of a touch typer as I thought, but man they're pretty.

You and me both :(:hf::(

One thing I've definitely noticed is how different the sound is compared to my work keyboard (in the OP). I can't tell how much is the keyboard vs. the caps, but it's a quieter, deeper sound. I'm really liking it, and I hope I never have to replace this thing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

foutre posted:

drat that makes me excited for mine to arrive, looks great! Post pics when you get it all put together please.

:getin:

I originally wanted Cockpit + Modifiers, but I later found out that the profile of the Cockpit set is much flatter and less SA-ish. Turns out it was a good thing that the Massdrop fiasco prevented me from getting that and instead forced me to the Solar Alphas, which have the traditional SA profile.

I also installed the WASD 40A-L O-rings on this. Typing now somehow feels more responsive, and the keyboard is significantly quieter to the benefit of my open-plan office mates!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7bybx9/usnc_h_keyboard_clearance_sale_w_paypal_local_cash/

poo poo. if you're looking to take the dive into mech keyboards, p much everything this guy is selling is a pretty good deal.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

NewFatMike posted:

Gotta return the Leopold, turns out it's not compatible with any key cap sets. I've had my eye on a board from MecKeyAlpha.com that has the odd layout I want (numpad, no nav cluster), will post a trip report.

Is this a problem with only this model or Leopold in general?

I'm thinking of getting a Leopold FC660M with MX Browns. Not sure I want to get into keycaps but it'd be nice to not lock myself out.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I have a filco tenkeyless that I really like but the cord is too short. If i open up the keyboard is there a way I can install one of my custom usb cables?

e: Nevermind. Going to get one of these
https://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/new-style-mod-kit

Should be a fun project.

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 10, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Phosphine posted:

Is this a problem with only this model or Leopold in general?

I'm thinking of getting a Leopold FC660M with MX Browns. Not sure I want to get into keycaps but it'd be nice to not lock myself out.

Looks like that model will also have issues with keycap sets. The main problem is the bottom row of keys, including the spacebar. Most keysets are compatible with this layout (courtesy WASD Keyboard keycap compatibility page):

See the bottom row. It has seven 1.25u modifier keys around a 6.25u spacebar (the image doesn't show this, but that is the "standard"). Your Leopold looks to have a 1.25u, 1u, 1.25u, spacebar of indeterminate length, and two 1.25u keys in the bottom row, so you might have trouble replacing that 1u Windows key.

Also, if you look at the WASD Keyboard keycap compatibility page linked above, it seems to indicate the Leopold spacebar, while apparently being the "correct" 6.25u length, is not compatible with the standard 6.25u spacebars that come in custom keycap sets. Maybe there's something else about the construction, like how it uses a stabilizer, that prevents it from working with custom keycaps.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The FC660M also has a 2.25u right shift, and most keycap sets only comes with one for the left shift. Most additional/compatibility sets for the same keycap set will provide a 1.75u shift but not a 2.25u one. That's why sometimes, FC660M owners have to buy two main sets just to get two 2.25u shift keys.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I forgot to mention it would be the iso version, but that doesn't really change anything in the problematic parts. That is a shame :/

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Have you looked into the Varmilo VA69M with ISO layout? Not sure if you're located in Europe, but Candykeys.com sells them:
https://www.candykeys.com/product/va69m-custom/

eta: oops, that order page will group your order in with a bunch of other custom orders and send all orders at once to Varmilo on Dec 20, 2017. Then, Varmilo builds the boards and ships them to CandyKey (I think), then they ship it to you. Long lead time, but might be worth it if you don't need a 60% keyboard tomorrow

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 10, 2017

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah I've seen that one as well but it costs like 50% more, and I don't really want the extra keys on the right. I would prefer one without the arrows and insert delete too, but haven't been able to find one that was both iso and shipped to Sweden without being 200+. The Leopold I can get for about 120.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe you would be interested in a Pok3r ISO keyboard then? It seems like it has the layout you're looking for.

The secondhand market seems to be your best bet for getting one now... There seem to be a few EU folks selling theirs in r/mechmarket, like this guy in Germany (hopefully it has not already been sold)

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Massdrop is starting a Hall effect keyboard drop on Monday. These seem pretty cool, although I've never typed on one I'd get one just for the novelty if I could afford it. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xmit-hall-effect-keyboard-massdrop,33060.html