Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!

Is that from something or did they write it for this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This is some straight up Shadowrun poo poo, I love it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn this poo poo is good. This overhead cam and that shot over the wall of the building to show the street below...gently caress man!

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

timp posted:

Just a common protest chant.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

timp posted:

A silly chant for silly left-wing protestors.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

timp posted:

have you never been to a protest?

it's a very common chant

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 9, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah idk, never heard that one before. I like the rhythm of it

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jesus. How much of this was a single shot?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

geeves posted:

There were plenty of cheats in there but who cares. The effect was awesome.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
JESUS gently caress that was good.

geeves posted:

I read an interview with Esmail this morning that said it was 30 shots over nine days in several locations very carefully stitched together. Hopefully this behind the scenes thing that is about to show has some cool insight into it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

J33uk posted:

There were plenty of cheats in there but who cares. The effect was awesome.

Agreed. I should have used "long shot" (ala Birdman). But it just made it all the more tense for what ~10+ minutes

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Angela is gonna have to "Dark Army fuckup" herself with the gun in that bag, isn't she?

Great episode, very nice. Would've liked more Mr. Robot in this show called Mr. Robot.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Also I guess China now has a buttload of coltan

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That was a hell of a Monday

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
da gently caress is this crap. I don't care about this poo poo.

I want my hour* of show.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 9, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This is my first actual exposure to the after show and hoooo boy. I'm sure there are great intentions at work here but Christ Almighty it's awkward.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

This guy who's showing up in the news now seems like a dead ringer for the head of E-Corp.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/928368230414069761

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Ok so what did Angela *do* exactly? Was I just slightly drunk or was that unclear?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ok so what did Angela *do* exactly? Was I just slightly drunk or was that unclear?

Overrode/circumvented Elliot's firmware patch which will thusly lead to the UPS cook-off that destroys the backup paper records and any poor bastards in the records building. The destruction of these records is somehow vital to the success of Phase 2.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

J33uk posted:

Overrode/circumvented Elliot's firmware patch which will thusly lead to the UPS cook-off that destroys the backup paper records and any poor bastards in the records building. The destruction of these records is somehow vital to the success of Phase 2.

:yeah:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

timp posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXgUw5t47_Y

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The records are stage 2; without them one opportunity to rebuild what was lost is gone.

Also, this episode was wild. I'm glad Darlene confessed to Elliot; she's my favourite character by far. This is the nth week in a row that redditors have failed in predicting her death.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

timp posted:

go outside

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mameluke posted:

This is the nth week in a row that redditors have failed in predicting her death.

And may they continue until the show's end.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
For all the dangerous work she's involved in and with the chaos around her, Angela still reverted to her helpless former self. She should have kicked that security guard in the nads and bolted at the first opportunity, but no. Her expression of dismay at the end where she realized she's just a cog in the machine as opposed to an actual revolutionary who would have a big part in things sealed the deal that she's not as cut out for this as she thinks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Where do you live that you can simply go outside and hear protest chants on a regular basis

Goons learn that they know something that another goon doesn’t know and immediately pretend like their own personal collection of knowledge should constitute as common knowledge

Speaking of which, If you didn’t know that the beginning of this episode was scored using Philip Glass’s Einstein on the Beach then you’re a FREAKING IDIOTTT

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shitenshi posted:

For all the dangerous work she's involved in and with the chaos around her, Angela still reverted to her helpless former self. She should have kicked that security guard in the nads and bolted at the first opportunity, but no. Her expression of dismay at the end where she realized she's just a cog in the machine as opposed to an actual revolutionary who would have a big part in things sealed the deal that she's not as cut out for this as she thinks.

What

Angela literally did all of the things this episode. She got herself out of the security guard situation by yelling to get the attention of the rioters. Her expression of dismay at the end was one of “Holy poo poo I just ordered the execution of an innocent woman.”

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 9, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
She also got that security guard beaten/killed.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

qbert posted:

What

Angela literally did all of the things this episode. She got herself out of the security guard situation by yelling to get the attention of the rioters. Her expression of dismay at the end was one of “Holy poo poo I just ordered the execution of an innocent woman.”

Except the rioters still went after her and she made up a half-assed excuse to get away from the guy before anyone else arrived on the scene. She yelled to those rioters as more of a "Look over there!" thing. I don't think she even realized she would get the woman killed. She followed her orders to the letter thinking that she would get a big piece of the pie, but Irving being a nonchalant rear end in a top hat at the least shows she is in no way is she playing a larger part in this. She's valued for her connections to Ecorp, but in the end she's disposable to the Dark Army.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 9, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Spoilering because why not.

Angela sure didn't have any sense of urgency about her. Calmly and gingerly sorting through a pen holder, slightly glancing around a desk as if she misplaced her cup of tea on a lazy Sunday. Making sure everything is in it's place and undisturbed. Her part of the episode seemed to take forever. Her expressions and actions seemed like polar opposites.

At first, seeing her walking around a riot as if it wasn't happening gave me the sense that she was going to be a total badass about all of this. She knows what's happening, isn't worried, and is going to seamlessly handle poo poo, and slip out pretending to be just another victim. Which she kind of did, only with the look of sheer and absolute soul shattering terror on her face.

I couldn't tell if she was terrified, or in complete control. It couldn't have been both, she isn't that strong willed. It was a bit hard to see what Angela's state of mind was, and coupled with her scene moving slowly, it kind of took me out of the situation.

It was a good episode and a lot of fun to watch, I just wish I would have felt more invested.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
People on reddit are saying Elliott was on the same floor as the one Angela did the thing on.

Kinda looks like it actually.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I just watched that scene again and it's totally him. The camera even follows his direction, and it's right where Angela just came from. Which means he could've just undone everything Angela did.

[edit]If you watch the scene when Angela walks through, right after the other masked guy spots her it pans over a door with an Exit sign on top of it, and that's where he runs out of a moment later. Elliot took the stairs.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 9, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Reasonably convincing, although given Darlene's confession it's possible that Mr. Robot emerged again and that the Elliot we see running around and at the end isn't Elliot. Or it's some rando. Or it's possibly the synthesis between Mr. Robot and Elliot that we've kind of been waiting for. If he can summon a facsimile of him at will then why not follow that through to it's logical conclusion?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

People on reddit are saying Elliott was on the same floor as the one Angela did the thing on.

Kinda looks like it actually.

Yeah that's definitely him. I'm guessing that he pulled something to gently caress up Stage 2; we're only halfway through the season and I don't see them blowing up the building this early.

The big question to me is why Dark Army specifically wanted Elliot to do the hack and not Angela. They didn't sound happy when Angela told them she did it herself, like their plan went unexpectedly-off course.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

sticklefifer posted:

I just watched that scene again and it's totally him. The camera even follows his direction, and it's right where Angela just came from. Which means he could've just undone everything Angela did.

[edit]If you watch the scene when Angela walks through, right after the other masked guy spots her it pans over a door with an Exit sign on top of it, and that's where he runs out of a moment later. Elliot took the stairs.

He can't undo a backup of the HSM or the recent signing of the malicious Dark Army software from the HSM.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mannnnnnnn, this episode is the best this show has been in a while, holy gently caress :suspense:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I was not prepared for that at all.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I forgot this was the 'single shot' episode because about 20 minutes in I started thinking "man we haven't had a cut yet what is.....oh :aaa:"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is everything slightly out of focus?

I don't have access to an HDTV in this location not sure if it's the lovely tv.

I watched it in 720p and it looked fine to me (not counting video compression artifacting - Stupid cable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

J33uk posted:

Reasonably convincing, although given Darlene's confession it's possible that Mr. Robot emerged again and that the Elliot we see running around and at the end isn't Elliot. Or it's some rando. Or it's possibly the synthesis between Mr. Robot and Elliot that we've kind of been waiting for. If he can summon a facsimile of him at will then why not follow that through to it's logical conclusion?

Elliot seemed very Mr. Roboty during the confession scene.

Anyway, in order to have found and followed Angela, Elliot (or MR) must have intuited that the protest going violent was fomented by the conspirators, mixed in with the crowd, and figured out where Angela would have to go to override his firmware patch. Although if it really was him in the background of those scenes, it raises the question of why he didn't try to stop (or at least confront) Angela while she was doing the hack, when he already knew roughly what was up.

• Locked thread