Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spincube posted:

He drove, angry, in Drive Angry, is what. There is nothing in my heart but earnest love for that film.

God, that movie was a great return to form for Cage. Just pure grade-A trash, in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

spincube posted:

He drove, angry, in Drive Angry, is what. There is nothing in my heart but earnest love for that film.

He was also pretty great in Ghost Rider 2, Kick-rear end, and particularly Bad Lieutenant. Basically Cage seems to need a particular kind of director who's capable of really harnessing the full Cage insanity and making it work well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

spincube posted:

You misspelled Drive Angry: Shot in 3D.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ariong posted:

You misspelled Drive Angry: Shot in 3D.

The flashback that plays out in focus in the windshield while he's driving and is also in focus is one of the few worthwhile shots in 3d cinema

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cage did a fairly good restrained performance in Lord of War but that's a role I imagine any decent actor could've played. It's not really a Cage role like, I don't know, Castor Troy is.

Big missed opportunity is that there was never an official movie adaptation of any of the Time Crisis games because Cage could've been Wild Dog. :v:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Dejawesp posted:

My favorite Nic Cage films are dumb films where he is just crazy.

Sensible triple-A Nic Cage is boring.

I like how he gives his roles 100%, even when they're obviously not exactly Oscar-bait; his special talent on top of that just happens to be unfiltered id, without being mawkish or layered in tedious irony.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

spincube posted:

I like how he gives his roles 100%, even when they're obviously not exactly Oscar-bait; his special talent on top of that just happens to be unfiltered id, without being mawkish or layered in tedious irony.

He's also incredibly patient and enjoys savouring moments - he could eat a peach for hours.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Re: Steve Martin & Eddie Murphy,

if you haven't watched Bowfinger, watch that poo poo. It's real good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The specific thing was that Spade was doing Hollywood Minute, and a picture of Murphy popped up as if there was going to be a news item, and Spade went "Look children, a Falling Star!". Apparently Murphy wouldn't even appear on the anniversary special that just happened a couple years back.

Blog Free or Die posted:

Re: Steve Martin & Eddie Murphy,

if you haven't watched Bowfinger, watch that poo poo. It's real good.

Fuckin' A.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
It hadn't aged well, even while it was still first-run airing, but I guess Two and a Half Men is about to age even worse.

Charlie Sheen alleged to have raped Corey Haim in 1986

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mister Mind posted:

It hadn't aged well, even while it was still first-run airing, but I guess Two and a Half Men is about to age even worse.

I like how the article all but ignores that Brascia (whose biggest role was as the challenged kid who gets killed at the beginning of Friday the 13th Part 5) has been alleged by Corey Feldman to have been a major link in the chain in the 80s and 90s for connecting young kids wanting to make it big with hollywood elite pedos. Like, regardless of how terrible Sheen (probably) was, you might want to get a better source.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If you need to look for a bright side to an accusation of child rape, that was at least before he had feline AIDS.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

I like how the article all but ignores that Brascia (whose biggest role was as the challenged kid who gets killed at the beginning of Friday the 13th Part 5) has been alleged by Corey Feldman to have been a major link in the chain in the 80s and 90s for connecting young kids wanting to make it big with hollywood elite pedos. Like, regardless of how terrible Sheen (probably) was, you might want to get a better source.

Sure but Corey Feldman has been alluding to this for years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mister Mind posted:

hosed if true, but I'm withholding judgment until it comes from a source which doesn't straight-up lie about literally everything.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

He's also incredibly patient and enjoys savouring moments - he could eat a peach for hours.

I just wanted you to know that this post is wonderful :-)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

So when you see Joey get axed to death every Halloween, take special pride that not only is Vic doing the world a favor, he's literally butchering a possible child molester on screen as well, making that scene the Best Thing Ever For Multiple Reasons.

Also, the National Enquirer does occasionally do good investigative reporting. They're not always scum, just like...95% of the time. And honestly, it has been hinted that Sheen did some really REALLY shady stuff at the time.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

CommonShore posted:

hosed if true, but I'm withholding judgment until it comes from a source which doesn't straight-up lie about literally everything.

The National Enquirer may (and does) deal exclusively in tawdry crap, but they do get their stories straight before publishing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mister Mind posted:

The National Enquirer may (and does) deal exclusively in tawdry crap, but they do get their stories straight before publishing.

Are you sure? I've seen front-page poo poo this year from them that was clearly false Trumpist propaganda.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

purple death ray posted:

Is it hearsay or a rumor that Eddie Murphy wanted to make movies that his kids could watch instead of like, Coming to America?
I'm pretty sure I first watched that movie when I was about 8, on TV in the middle of the afternoon. Why can't kids watch it?

oldpainless posted:

I paid good money to see Vampire in Brooklyn in a theater and it is my life’s greatest regret
I've seen that movie four or five times. It's the best.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

CommonShore posted:

Are you sure? I've seen front-page poo poo this year from them that was clearly false Trumpist propaganda.

Okay, false Trumpist propaganda, that's definitely something they do now. :( I am really not helping my case. (At any rate, this rumor has been going around just as long as the open secrets about Weinstein and Spacey.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure I first watched that movie when I was about 8, on TV in the middle of the afternoon. Why can't kids watch it?

because of the stuff they cut out of the movie to show it on TV in the middle of the afternoon :v:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Circling back to the Drive Angry discussion, something from the late 00s and early 2010s that didn't age well and will continue to get worse are movies from the period that hinged on use of 3D. Very few people have 3D TVs so now we have a good number of movies that shoehorn in obvious 3D shots where something comes toward the audience without any 3D happening.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Perestroika posted:

He was also pretty great in Ghost Rider 2, Kick-rear end, and particularly Bad Lieutenant. Basically Cage seems to need a particular kind of director who's capable of really harnessing the full Cage insanity and making it work well.
He should work with Werner Herzog again. They're both lunatics who always seem to produce something worth watching, even if it's not exactly good.

Since we're talking about movies too, has anyone else watched Team America: World Police recently? I finally watched the first half and couldn't stop thinking of Poe's Law the entire time. I don't know what i'd have thought if I'd watched it when it first came out but it was really, really weird watching it now. Especially since part of the humor seems to come from the delight of being politically incorrect in a way that made the movie look like it was made by assholes.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Nov 9, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

trickybiscuits posted:

Especially since part of the humor seems to come from the delight of being politically incorrect in a way that made the movie look like it was made by assholes.

The South Park guys did make it, yes.

I rewatched it recently and yeah, it was weird because it really didnt feel like an over the top parody anymore. At the time I thought it was the most subversive and biting movie i had seen, but I was also in 7th grade when it came out so my opinions from back then should be shunned even more than my present ones are.

However, the scene where the guy sneaks into a terrorist club by saying gibberish like "derka derka Mohammed jihad" still makes me laugh. I wont even try to defend it

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Alaois posted:

because of the stuff they cut out of the movie to show it on TV in the middle of the afternoon :v:

Yeah, there's not much cut from tv for it, but there IS a bit of sexual content cut. Most notably in the opening where we see how the prince takes a bath--by having three naked ladies bathe him. One pops up and says "The royal penis is clean, your highness" to his delighted sigh.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

trickybiscuits posted:

Since we're talking about movies too, has anyone else watched Team America: World Police recently? I finally watched the first half and couldn't stop thinking of Poe's Law the entire time. I don't know what i'd have thought if I'd watched it when it first came out but it was really, really weird watching it now. Especially since part of the humor seems to come from the delight of being politically incorrect in a way that made the movie look like it was made by assholes.

I saw it in theaters when it came out in college. The entire point was that it was politically incorrect as well as over the top and offensive. I watched it again a year or two ago and it's kinda aged in that "stuff that used to be edgy isn't quite so much anymore" way. You have to remember it came out only about a year and a half after the US invaded Iraq, and a few months after the (at the time) hugely controversial Fahrenheit 9/11. If you watch it without trying to put yourself in the mindset of the middle of the Bush administration, at the height of the Terror Alert Color Code period, it's probably going to seem extra weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, there's not much cut from tv for it, but there IS a bit of sexual content cut. Most notably in the opening where we see how the prince takes a bath--by having three naked ladies bathe him. One pops up and says "The royal penis is clean, your highness" to his delighted sigh.
Not sure if they showed the full version during the day, but I've definitely seen that scene on TV. But I don't think there's anything in the movie (that scene included) that's particularly explicit. I just checked and it's rated M in Australia ('Recommended for people aged 15 years and over. People under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. This category contains material that may require a mature perspective but is not deemed too strong for younger viewers. The content is moderate in impact.' - 'Sexual activity should be discreetly implied, if "justified by context".')

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: Tom Hanks: do the Oscars not like him any more? Because the only things he seems to do nowadays are biopics and other "prestige" stuff that looks like it's supposed to win Academy Awards, but he never seems to get nominated for any of it, much less win.
Hanks has a second job as a producer through his company PlayTone. He seems canny enough to know that if he can't exactly star in it, he can use his name to get a project going with big hits in the TV industry with Band of Brothers and From the Earth to the Moon. Most of the stuff he's been in since 2000 he has some stake as a producer or co-producer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

Sure but Corey Feldman has been alluding to this for years.

I listened to his autobiography (yeah, I know) and he's crazy as a loon, but you can tell he's serious about pedophiles and is still hosed up about what happened to Haim.

And he specifically mentioned Haim getting raped on the Lucas set, but he couldn't name the rapist because there's no proof.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

I listened to his autobiography (yeah, I know) and he's crazy as a loon, but you can tell he's serious about pedophiles and is still hosed up about what happened to Haim.

And he specifically mentioned Haim getting raped on the Lucas set, but he couldn't name the rapist because there's no proof.

Yeah, he's a nutter but who wouldn't be. :( I hope that making his movie will bring him some peace. God knows he needs it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Choco1980 posted:

His sigh was out of boredom though. The joke being that he was fed up with all these naked girls satisfying his every whim and he wanted to see the real world.

That movie had some amazing scenes I forgot about

https://youtu.be/RD-vzGvxf6U?t=92

My favorite scene is probably the one where Arsenio Hall slams the door on James Earl Jones. Which incidentally is the one scene that's not on youtube.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder what it's like when you ruin your career starring in family-friendly garbage that makes everyone sick of you because you want something your kids can watch, and your kids hate it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There always felt like there was a bit of a raunchy undercurrent with Murphy's family films, though. Maybe it was an attempt to give the grown up audiences something to laugh at that the kids wouldn't get or that kids did get some of the humor from just a few bad words or funny moments.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's funny to me that Murphy and Steve Martin starred in a funny move together, Bowfinger, shortly before their careers went to poo poo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Who exactly can consider two-time Oscar for lead role-winning actor to be "just keep on rolling with a stalled career doing things they find interesting sometimes"?

I would hope that Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep and Daniel Day-Lewis have better things to do than to talk poo poo about Tom Hanks.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's funny to me that Murphy and Steve Martin starred in a funny move together, Bowfinger, shortly before their careers went to poo poo.

Bowfinger's pretty great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CRINDY posted:

Circling back to the Drive Angry discussion, something from the late 00s and early 2010s that didn't age well and will continue to get worse are movies from the period that hinged on use of 3D. Very few people have 3D TVs so now we have a good number of movies that shoehorn in obvious 3D shots where something comes toward the audience without any 3D happening.

One of the worst movies I've seen in the cinema was the third Spy Kids movie (I saw all three of them in the cinema when they came out) which made a huge deal of being 3D to the point where the characters in the film all wear 3D glasses so they can see the shorty CGI monsters, and it looks like a bad motion ride at a theme park.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jim Carey did pretty well in a few serious roles, before he went over the edge, whatever the hell happened to him.

He's literally insane for one thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmNKGfFj7w

JigglyPuff
Jun 3, 2002
Speaking of Eddie Murphy's decline - I read years ago he was slated to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Dreamgirls and make a big comeback. However he fathered a child with Mel B from the Spice Girls and then vehemently denied it was his, and insisted she must have slept with another man. Victoria Beckham, another Spice Girl, had become a big deal in Hollywood by then and her influence and the whole controversy soured Hollywood on the idea of him winning an Oscar so he lost out on the win. Paternity test on the baby proved he was the father of course.

So he could have had this big comeback as a dramatic actor and pissed it all away by being an enormous shitheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JigglyPuff posted:

Speaking of Eddie Murphy's decline - I read years ago he was slated to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Dreamgirls and make a big comeback. However he fathered a child with Mel B from the Spice Girls and then vehemently denied it was his, and insisted she must have slept with another man. Victoria Beckham, another Spice Girl, had become a big deal in Hollywood by then and her influence and the whole controversy soured Hollywood on the idea of him winning an Oscar so he lost out on the win. Paternity test on the baby proved he was the father of course.

So he could have had this big comeback as a dramatic actor and pissed it all away by being an enormous shitheel.

What I'd heard (and probably mentioned last page or page before) was that it was massive posters for Norbit all over Hollywood that cost him the Oscar, although it always seemed like a bit of an over-simplification to me.