Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

It makes sense, Jedha was a backwater planet subjugated by the Empire who only wanted it for the kyber crystals. Scarif was a full on Empire military planet. It would have taken a lot more time to evacuate that than the one Star Destroyer on Jedha.

Leland Chee up there said Tarkin not doing so was more about covering his arse and making sure no one could survive to tell of his incompetence than a problem with logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even in Jedi the Emperor gives no shits about blowing up a moon full of his best dudes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Dave Syndrome posted:

Much as before with Mark Hamill voicing Darth Bane's ghost on The Clone Wars, I wonder the point is of having a well-known actor record the lines and then distorting their voice all the way to hell and back so that it's virtually unrecognizable.
I mean, voices like George Takei, Clancy Brown, Brent Spiner, Tim Curry, Tom Baker or even recently Seth Green I might recognize and go "huh, that's neat", but would I recognize Hamill and Davis like this? Never in a million years. For those roles they could have hired any schmuck fresh out of acting school for a lot less money.

Did you notice that the Lizard captain in this episode was voiced by Seth Green?

Vinylshadow posted:

Rebel Assault Synopsis: "Hera leads a courageous attack against Grand Admiral Thrawn's forces, but when things go awry, her battle to win must become a daring escape if she is to survive."

So it looks like they're going to fail miserably which is a good thing and shows that the Empire isn't a joke like it was in previous seasons

Oh yeah, the season 1-3 recap video they published had a little bit of season 4 tacked on at the end and going by that next episode the rebel attack gets totally hosed. RIP Xwings.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

banned from Starbucks posted:

Even in Jedi the Emperor gives no shits about blowing up a moon full of his best dudes.

At no point was blowing up Endor even floated as an idea; on either side. The DSII's superlaser recharged fast enough for it to be used on rebellion capital ships.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

At no point was blowing up Endor even floated as an idea; on either side. The DSII's superlaser recharged fast enough for it to be used on rebellion capital ships.

Not quite; The Mk.II could just spit out low-power shots that "merely" killed capital ships rather than need to fully-charge the Superlaser. If they'd fired at full planet-killing strength they'd still be stuck recharging for the full 24 hours. You were right about that being the plan though; "Guess what, Rebel Scum? It kills ships as well as planets :murder:"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wasn't DS1's capable of the same thing? It's why they weren't ready for a snubfighter attack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wasn't DS1's capable of the same thing? It's why they weren't ready for a snubfighter attack.

I fully admit I may be wrong, but I swear blind I read somewhere it only had the one setting. Rogue One also went out of its way to say they were just test-firing the thing on one working reactor as a proof-of-concept too. The snubfighter attack was more because their general defenses were turbolaser turrets, and the Mk.2 fixed that little mistake with a shitload of laser cannons for general AA fun.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jivjov posted:

I forgot it was a deleted scene
https://youtu.be/9JLOcquqyJI?t=38s

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 9, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Wonder if that means he’ll have the same ending.

If Thrawn dies and doesn't utter "But...it was so artistically done." we riot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vinylshadow posted:

If Thrawn dies and doesn't utter "But...it was so artistically done." we riot.

I doubt he will die this season myself. I am have a feeling they will keep him alive for the EU to use.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I fully admit I may be wrong, but I swear blind I read somewhere it only had the one setting. Rogue One also went out of its way to say they were just test-firing the thing on one working reactor as a proof-of-concept too. The snubfighter attack was more because their general defenses were turbolaser turrets, and the Mk.2 fixed that little mistake with a shitload of laser cannons for general AA fun.

They barely scrambled any ships to aid in the first death stars defense.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MonsterEnvy posted:

They barely scrambled any ships to aid in the first death stars defense.

IIRC Tarkin outright refused to launch any of the (doubtless) hundreds/thousands of TIEs stationed on the deathstar. The ones that did go out were under Vader's personal command/orders.

drat near everything with the Death Star can be traced to Tarkin's Ego and hubris.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC CGI Tarkin outright refused to launch any of the (doubtless) hundreds/thousands of TIEs stationed on the deathstar. The ones that did go out were under Vader's personal command/orders.

drat near everything with the Death Star can be traced to CGI Tarkin's Ego and hubris.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best dudes awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

Yeah, it's an improvement

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

drunkill posted:

Did you notice that the Lizard captain in this episode was voiced by Seth Green?

He did sound familiar, and when I read the name in the credits I went "ah, that's why". :)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As part of the Disney shareholder conference call from eralier today that announced the new Rian Johnson movie trilogy, Bob Iger also announced that a live action Star Wars show will be coming to their new streaming service in 2019.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm decades behind, but I'm finally reading the original Thrawn trilogy. Goddamn is that some good poo poo.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The electro-whip was a great homage to Starchaser -- the Legend of Orin.

If we're going to go full garbage and just be about nostalgia, expanding the scope of that nostalgia is good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The slaver's whip was in a few episodes of The Clone Wars as well

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Looks like we're only getting one episode this week ("Rebel Assault") instead of two before the show goes onto its break. So that's 9 episodes now, 7 later?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zebulon posted:

Looks like we're only getting one episode this week ("Rebel Assault") instead of two before the show goes onto its break. So that's 9 episodes now, 7 later?

Nothing until the new year (something something not wanting to interfere with The Last Jedi, or maybe writing scripts for the next show... who knows)

Guess it's time to rewatch Clone Wars for the Nth time

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
What time do the new episodes usually pop up on the website again?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well...

That's a pretty strong cliffhanger at least. Roll on 2018

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

An Xwing just pulled a cobra in space and killed a TIE-D with s-foils closed.

gently caress I love this show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watching the new episode now. So did Hera get like a field commission as a General before the attack? She was a Captain last episode heh.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

teagone posted:

Watching the new episode now. So did Hera get like a field commission as a General before the attack? She was a Captain last episode heh.

"A detachment cannot be led by a Captain, it must have a General in command. Rules

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chiwie posted:

An Xwing just pulled a cobra in space and killed a TIE-D with s-foils closed.

gently caress I love this show.

Yea that whole space battle was fantastic. Hera really is really deserved of her rank and loyalty she instills in her troops. I also like how Rebel generals tend to be front line leaders, at least in regards to the pilots. Also its nice to see her hold her own, at least for a little while, against Rukh

I wonder if the in show excuse for why we won't see TIE Defenders later is that they're deemed to expensive, but some of their design concepts are used to develop the Interceptor. Which is a reverse of legends.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if the in show excuse for why we won't see TIE Defenders later is that they're deemed to expensive, but some of their design concepts are used to develop the Interceptor. Which is a reverse of legends.

Interceptors are already around, though. They even remark on their presence on the Imperial base (Sabine: "I see some Interceptors, but that's nothing new,") in Flight of the Defender, so that's out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

twistedmentat posted:

From an earlier trailer the defender is competing with Krennic's death star for funding.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hera owns so much. I hope we see her in another animated series after this season is over.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

teagone posted:

Hera owns so much. I hope we see her in another animated series after this season is over.

A Post ROTJ show would be perfect. The guy on Star Wars Explained said that he thinks the reason its such a unknown period of time is that they don't want to spoil what Luke has been up to before Last Jedi.

Hera and chopper can easily be part of that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like Poe does something similar in one of the TV ads. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k_Dap2HRL8

What a loving great episode - I wish they were longer! :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

"Lock S-foils in attack position" :neckbeard:

Mimicking the look of the X-Wings in "flight" from A New Hope was a great touch.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Seeing that Tie Defender take out an Arquitens and then an ISD should probably make the Rebels consider getting some Z95s and just going kamikaze.

e:Actually I'd forgotten they have started doing that way more, just usually with capital ships.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Wow, the space battle stuff looked really good here. I was kind of surprised that X-wings didn’t get a dramatic debut in the show; they just showed up and even got mostly jobbed out. (Duke, nooooooo!)

I’m a sucker for reappearances by minor Rebel characters (see the comics series Empire and Rebellion for the platonic ideal of this), so I liked that Mart got to join in the action here. He’s even become kind of competent!

Sign me up for more of Action Hero Hera. Action Hera!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/930239134240686080
I see the hiatus has already struck the Rebels team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt9ZmN-V-k
And so begins the dark times

Nice Pablo-class Stormtrooper armor though
When will that become a part of the films?

I wonder how much more material we'd have for TCW and Rebels if TV Episodes were allowed to be 25-28 minutes long (Ideally without counting intro/outro credits)

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 14, 2017

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's odd they went with the purple Special Edition engine exhaust for the X-wings.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is it, though? They did the same in Rogue One:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Holy poo poo was that the music from Rogue Squadron 3D at the very beginning? :neckbeard:

That was a great episode. This season has been really solid and I'll be sad when it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fine, they allow the conditions to exist that allow slavery because they can't police the margins of their empire effectively.

I mean, slavery is only shown in Hutt space which is recongized as its own soverign government. The Republic would need to declare war on the hutts to end it.

• Locked thread