Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

dehumanize yourself and faceos to bloodshed

what do you meant by this? :freakfuta:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
thanks, mike

i tried dragging an icon like that, but it apparently only works when combined with the slide-up move

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fasces: the mobile choice of the alt-right

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple only has one OS, Darwin. on top of Darwin are several platforms.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Endless Mike posted:

swipe up to bring up the dock, grab the icon of the app you want to add, drag it over to the side you want it on

e: https://youtu.be/22XziO3t6KY

in it voted 5

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
hard to call tvos a major os

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
easy to call it a major pos tho

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it’s the best tv os on the market

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

hard to call tvos a major os

What's watchos then

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Millstone posted:

What's watchos then

wearable pos

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

What's watchos then

not much! watchOS with you?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the amount of blogger thinkpieces screaming about how IT IS APPLE'S MORAL DUTY TO AVOID AS MUCH TAX AS LEGALLY POSSIBLE is loving sickening ngl

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

that tax poo poo is pretty bad and not cool

also drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R59TevgzN3k

y’all probably seen this but ouch

clearly they fell into the water in 2016 as her phone was exploding in her pocket causing severe burns

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

the amount of blogger thinkpieces screaming about how IT IS APPLE'S MORAL DUTY TO AVOID AS MUCH TAX AS LEGALLY POSSIBLE is loving sickening ngl

i wouldn't say they have a moral duty to do so, but they do have a duty to their shareholders to maximize their profits within the confines of the law. if the law lets them do so then change the law.

now i'm no expert on tax law, so if all this is illegal, nail them to the wall.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

but they do have a duty to their shareholders to maximize their profits within the confines of the law.

they literally don't but thanks for keeping this stupid meme alive

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Chris Knight posted:

my friend have you heard about capitalism?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
corporations are people. specifically, really rich people who are legally obligated to behave like sociopaths

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
companies and individuals don’t have a moral imperative to avoid taxes, but they also don’t have a moral obligation to pay more taxes than legally required. it is the right of every person and legal entity to use the law to their advantage to minimize their tax burden. if you’re angry about this then amend the laws to close loopholes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Chris Knight posted:

they do if the shareholders demand it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it’s the best tv os on the market

webos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*windows

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

please tell me then why anybody invests in a company, certainly it's not with the expectation of making the least amount of money?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

please tell me then why anybody invests in a company, certainly it's not with the expectation of making the least amount of money?

Ask the investors in the 95% of companies that don't have extensive tax avoidance arrangements.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Management posted:

companies and individuals don’t have a moral imperative to avoid taxes, but they also don’t have a moral obligation to pay more taxes than legally required. it is the right of every person and legal entity to use the law to their advantage to minimize their tax burden. if you’re angry about this then amend the laws to close loopholes.

yeah i'm not singling apple out specifically, it would be a bit rich to do that for something that's more of a nebulous institutional injustice and perpetrated by most multinational companies. the main thing i was saying was that the amount of apologism for it in the tech media when they're not outright avoiding the issue entirely is pretty loving contemptible, imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax legally possible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chalks posted:

Ask the investors in the 95% of companies that don't have extensive tax avoidance arrangements.

only because they can't afford to implement them yet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apparently iphone ecks cant into cool weather

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

i thought every multinational based in america does something similar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i really do hope these like 50 posts i just saw about screen malfunctioning after 30s exposure to temperatures lower than 5c are bollocks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cvs lost a cool billion coz they dropped tobacco, are they public? did that effect like shareholders losing dollars

like they have to maximise profits? but like? in every single quarter or can they look toward making more later for less now?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol not only does the iface or itouch not function if you're not a lily white programmer, now it won't work if your environment isn't roughly that of california

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax legally possible
the best you could say is 'paying the least amount of tax legally required is not a moral failing or ethical violation, in itself'

correctness would have to have reference to a particularly moral philosophy or ethical code

but yeah

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the implication being a code in which keeping the money is more ethical and moral than giving it to the government which while defensible in some respects, is mostly to rile pro-tax yosposters

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

the implication being a code in which keeping the money is more ethical and moral than giving it to the government which while defensible in some respects, is mostly to rile pro-tax yosposters

i think you were supposed to leave this out on the script

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
yeah fair enough. it was just to say the vast majority of actions are generally neutral in a vacuum and the law itself is neither a moral or ethical code

you could even argue that certain us governments, maybe even the current one, are morally unworthy of receiving anything more than the bare minimum of required tax dollars, due to corruption, incompetence and dereliction of fiscal duties to the american public. you could do that for sure

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 9, 2017

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

this is only true in the US where theres a 100% chance your money will be used to murder brown people

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not quite 100% cause we both spend more than we take in and we also spend more on keeping boomers alive than we do on the military (tho its a close second) so theres a chance your money goes there instead!!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its me im the guy who pays more tax than he could. im ethical as gently caress

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
apple clearly isn't the only company to do this and it is certainly fine by law and professional ethics. That being said, professional ethics and tax law don't define what is good or what ought to happen and I feel that articles couched in that way kind of miss the point. the point seems to be that this example might provide a good vehicle to consider whether we should change things so that the wealthiest corporation pays appropriately for access to us markets, IP protections, and workers.

anywho i'll shut up now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

at least we know why shaggar elected lepage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

its not quite 100% cause we both spend more than we take in and we also spend more on keeping boomers alive than we do on the military (tho its a close second) so theres a chance your money goes there instead!!

also don't forget we're still paying off the 4 trillion+ in 30 year treasuries reagan sold at the end of the cold war