Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mons Hubris posted:

What are middle range games?

Mid-range covers a wide category of games that don't fit into the extremes of AAA games (Destiny, Assassin's Creed) and indie titles (Stardew Valley, Golf Story). They don't have the feature set or production values of AAA games but they do cost more to make than the usual indie titles. On consoles like the PS4 and XB1, the market has become polarized towards these extremes.

This is a problem for Square-Enix since a good deal of their catalog fits into the mid-range category which is being forced out of the market. With the Switch, they have a platform where players are receptive to mid-range titles. Middleware can allow them to hit multiple platforms with their games, including the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BisterdDave posted:

This confused the hell out of me. Why? What's the point of allowing you to buy 10 at a time if they don't mean anything?

It's pay to win if you want to go to the final level but aren't good enough or don't want to collect all those moons the old fashioned way

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That final level sucks. Idk if that's rage talking, or if it really just doesn't hold a candle to Champion Road. Either way, there's no Gusty Garden Galaxy so gently caress it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

irlZaphod posted:

Cat Quest - $12.99 / £ ? / € ? (Nov 10 NA / Nov 10 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Cat Quest is an open world RPG set in the pawsome world of cats! Leap into a grand adventure in purrsuit of the evil Drakoth and your catnapped sister! Explore Felingard's huge overworld map, risk life and limb delving into dungeons for epic loot, and lend a paw to a furry cast of characters in a flurry of side quests.

All right, what the hell is this thing? My interest is piqued. I love cats, and puns, and especially cat puns! Is this terrible shovelware or actually decent?!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Real hurthling! posted:

Test the joycon on your grip to see if its loose there.
Good idea. Yeah, it slides right back out of the Joy Con grip.

Well drat, does this type of thing fall under the Nintendo warranty for the system or no?

Edit: Nope "Nintendo's warranty does not cover physical damage"

Well... this is loving annoying. I may just order a replacement JOycon and swap them out

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Silver Falcon posted:

All right, what the hell is this thing? My interest is piqued. I love cats, and puns, and especially cat puns! Is this terrible shovelware or actually decent?!

It's been in development for a while (it was shown off during the first Switch Nindies video), so there's that -- it didn't just materialize out of nowhere like crappy games tend to do. I did tell myself I'd buy this right away when it came out, but haven't bit yet. Looks kinda like Fantasy Life with cats.

Apparently it came out on mobile in September and has good reviews there. That's all I've got.

Here's 20 minutes of gameplay -- is anyone else seeing a bunch of jarring frame drops or is it just me? That's incredibly distracting.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 9, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just pre-ordered Xeno 2 collecters edition along with the custom pro crontroller. I've been wanting to get one for a while and now seems the perfect time.

Also in Odyssey: is there a way to set the music that plays on different worlds? I did the thing with the toad in mush kingdom where he makes you set the music and could have sworn there was a message that said how to it from anywhere but if there is I can't find it.

And another thing: I can't seem to get the amiibo feature to work. I was able to scan the bowser amiibo and get his outfit but any other time I try to use it I just get the failure message. I must be missing some step.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I just pre-ordered Xeno 2 collecters edition along with the custom pro crontroller. I've been wanting to get one for a while and now seems the perfect time.

Also in Odyssey: is there a way to set the music that plays on different worlds? I did the thing with the toad in mush kingdom where he makes you set the music and could have sworn there was a message that said how to it from anywhere but if there is I can't find it.

And another thing: I can't seem to get the amiibo feature to work. I was able to scan the bowser amiibo and get his outfit but any other time I try to use it I just get the failure message. I must be missing some step.

Yup, open the map, push Y for lists, and push R to scroll over to music.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You have a magnificent avatar! :D
(I think I might start telling other posters with great avatars on the forums because they should know!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

That final level sucks. Idk if that's rage talking, or if it really just doesn't hold a candle to Champion Road. Either way, there's no Gusty Garden Galaxy so gently caress it.

If you're still stuck on it, you can actually skip the bullshit second half in the Pipe with Pokio and the death-rings. Waggle while gliding as you hit the updrafts and you can sail right over the platform with the forks and magma all the way past to the one with Bowser's Painting.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

enojy posted:

It's been in development for a while (it was shown off during the first Switch Nindies video), so there's that -- it didn't just materialize out of nowhere like crappy games tend to do. I did tell myself I'd buy this right away when it came out, but haven't bit yet. Looks kinda like Fantasy Life with cats.

Apparently it came out on mobile in September and has good reviews there. That's all I've got.

Here's 20 minutes of gameplay -- is anyone else seeing a bunch of jarring frame drops or is it just me? That's incredibly distracting.

Oh man. That looks very cute and Fantasy Life was so extremely my jam you don't even know! I loved that game!

I will say, from the footage, I give that game barely a passing grade in terms of cat puns. I saw a few, but not nearly as many as I was expecting. Maybe I'm spoiled by Monster Hunter, though. Now there's a game with some quality cat puns.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

VideoGames posted:

This is a joke post, yes?

It depends a lot on the game's art style but I think that overly sharp textures can make a scene look really fake and hard to look at, like a bad HDR photograph. Witcher 3 otherwise goes for a mostly realistic look but then sharpens everything so much in post-processing that it makes the game look like it's taking place inside a giant vacuum chamber where there's no air to diffuse the light at all. In something like Mario where it's more cartoony and there are supposed to be crisp, sharp lines everywhere, sharper textures do make things nicer.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Well drat, does this type of thing fall under the Nintendo warranty for the system or no?

Well... this is loving annoying. I may just order a replacement JOycon and swap them out
Try contacting them anyway. They're pretty good about service and trying to keep their customers happy. That bit you quoted is probably more about things like a kid tossing their Switch out of a moving car window or stepping on it or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Astro7x posted:

https://youtu.be/wuAcqg2VJ_Q

This video has some good fixes, especially if you know someone with a 3d printer, but the other fixes are good too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Switch is finally getting streaming video in the US!

but it's just Hulu :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ha, everyone assumed they were waiting to put those all out at once in some kind of strategy but nope!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

For Square-Enix, a "middle range game" is one that doesn't take ten years or more to make

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch is finally getting streaming video in the US!

but it's just Hulu :(

And I'm in Canada :negative:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

irlZaphod posted:

Mario x Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (assuming it's good)
Disgaea 5
Rayman Legends
Snipperclips
Pokken Tournament DX
Steamworld Dig 2
Sonic Mania
Fast RMX
Blaster Master Zero
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
GoNNER
Slime-San

Indie ports you may not have played:
Shovel Knight
Binding of Isaac
Cave Story
Overcoked
Snake Pass
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

i specifically waited to get rime on switch instead of ps4 even though reviews were midrange, so there's also that, maybe

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh man. That looks very cute and Fantasy Life was so extremely my jam you don't even know! I loved that game!

I have no idea why but Fantasy Life scratched a gaming itch that basically no other game had before (or has since) and so gently caress it I'm buying the cat game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disgaea 5 is still my favorite game on Switch. This is seriously the best strategy RPG ever made.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://gonintendo.com/stories/295101-hamster-acquired-rights-to-release-irem-s-titles-on-nintendo-swit

HAMSTER is going to start doing IREM games. Hope this means Ninja Baseball Batman

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The reviews for the Switch version of Doom don't look too bad. It has frame drops sure, but not the apocalyptic kind I was imagining. Doom back on maybe??

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Might want to wait for a patch, depending on how common the other issues are.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nintendo doesn't want streaming services because it distracts from the GAMES and it's a device for GAMERS, they're being strategic duh - silly geese in this thread

Hulu is loving garbage though

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Gimme Netflix and Hollow Knight or go to hell!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not really worried about the other issues, I'm sure there will be a patch. My biggest worry was that the performance would make it unplayable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah that's my plan. In the meantime I'll choose between either Skyrim or XC2 for my next major purchase, with rocket league as a tasty treat in between

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Real hurthling! posted:

When did they give metroid prime 4 a release year? Twas but a jpeg at e3

The thread also thinks pokemon is next year and that was nought but a man saying it exists and may take a long time

mp4 has been in dev since at least 2014 going by a few quotes. new pokemon won't be next year tho. rumour is that new footage will be in the jan direct for mp4 with a new subtitle, you'll know for sure that this will happen if by christmas day we have themes on switch.

industry and nintendo are now realizing its best to announce games a few months before release rather than years for best sales/hype. it tracks, you can thank skyrim for that.

reminder, we only found out about samus returns remake for 3ds a few months ago. hell, around this time last year we were only aware of zelda coming out at some point in 2017, the greatest year nintendo has had in a long time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

mp4 has been in dev since at least 2014 going by a few quotes. new pokemon won't be next year tho. rumour is that new footage will be in the jan direct for mp4 with a new subtitle, you'll know for sure that this will happen if by christmas day we have themes on switch.

industry and nintendo are now realizing its best to announce games a few months before release rather than years for best sales/hype. it tracks, you can thank skyrim for that.

reminder, we only found out about samus returns remake for 3ds a few months ago. hell, around this time last year we were only aware of zelda coming out at some point in 2017, the greatest year nintendo has had in a long time.

MP4 is still a ways off, they only released the announcement to make people stop goddamn asking them about making it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

KingSlime posted:

Nintendo doesn't want streaming services because it distracts from the GAMES and it's a device for GAMERS, they're being strategic duh - silly geese in this thread
This was literally something which Nintendo said at launch, not just something made up by people in this thread. :rolleyes: It was always implied as a limited-time thing, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

Zelda was announce in like 2013

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

MP4 is still a ways off, they only released the announcement to make people stop goddamn asking them about making it.

they've been dropping hints for years. earliest they started was 2014 iirc, i'll see if i find the quotes again but i dont care that much. mp4 is next year, you can take it to the bank.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm all for having streaming options on the switch but I wonder what percentage of Nintendo's user base doesn't have another way to stream to TV + a phone or tablet for portable streaming

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a relase date for Cat RPG?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Zelda was announce in like 2013

yeah, and? when was mario odyssey announced and then released. when was the switch announced then released. when was metroid 2 remake announced and then released. arms, splatoon 2, xenoblade2. industry has been slowly changing the way they announce poo poo for awhile now to due to how the hype building and sales track. the only one who is gonna keep announcing poo poo and not releasing poo poo for endless years is kojima.

bethesda are the ones who proved how well this poo poo works with skyrim and they've been doing that ever since, everyone else is slowing catching on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I admire your passion.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

it's tough, but i do what i can.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hell, I hope you're right because waiting for years after announcement has been the worst thing about gaming for a long time

Yep not even microtransactions suck as much as waiting for products that are 2 years away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a day ago I heard It's Always Sunny was being taken off Netflix and going to Hulu. Now Hulu is on Switch. God what are you telling me

• Locked thread