Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Same reason people hated Hitman: Absolution. It wasn't that the game was *bad*, it was that the game before it (Blood Money) was very, very good and so Absolution by being mediocre became the worst game ever and an affront to Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zereth posted:

... What is the problem you're trying to show off here?

Crippling autism.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DeathChicken posted:

Same reason people hated Hitman: Absolution. It wasn't that the game was *bad*, it was that the game before it (Blood Money) was very, very good and so Absolution by being mediocre became the worst game ever and an affront to Jesus.

Absolution has two kinda good levels and that's it. It's loving dogshit dude

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dyz posted:

Not so much hate as the only word most people can think to describe it is “meh”.

Yeah, it's a perfectly adequate game. I don't regret buying it, but I didn't bother finishing it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Leal posted:

I don't get why Fall4 has so much hate, this game is entertaining.

For me the loot was boring as poo poo, there were no truly unique things to find cause you can craft literally every weapon or piece of armor you find anyways and the world being completely devoid of any cool populated cities or towns just killed any reason for me to give a poo poo about it.

I think Diamond City is really the only major town you find... otherwise the game wants you to personally create settlements and it's a loving chore and I hate it.

Like sure, it's a wasteland but it's not unreasonable to expect that humanity would start rebuilding after 200 years... especially considering the amount of settlements we saw in past games.

And on that point, the story is likely the worst that Bethesda has ever spewed forth from their poo poo hole.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still love that you effectively rebuild civilization, reinvent agriculture and chemistry, and turn the resources of an entire city towards the singular purpose of building you a laser sight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

corn in the bible posted:

Absolution has two kinda good levels and that's it. It's loving dogshit dude

Barring the godforsaken helicopter level I thought it was decent, if nothing mind blowing. I think people way overblow the idea that it's on rails. Some of the levels are (see the helicopter stage), but for the most part, it felt like what would happen if Blood Money tacked on the irritatingly suspicious guards from the earlier Hitmans (and a lovely new mechanic to compensate for it). You get...mediocre.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I really liked some of the more actiony levels. I'd really not mind more Hitman games like that so long as they didn't do as much score popup nonsense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Deakul posted:

For me the loot was boring as poo poo, there were no truly unique things to find cause you can craft literally every weapon or piece of armor you find anyways and the world being completely devoid of any cool populated cities or towns just killed any reason for me to give a poo poo about it.

I think Diamond City is really the only major town you find... otherwise the game wants you to personally create settlements and it's a loving chore and I hate it.

Like sure, it's a wasteland but it's not unreasonable to expect that humanity would start rebuilding after 200 years... especially considering the amount of settlements we saw in past games.

And on that point, the story is likely the worst that Bethesda has ever spewed forth from their poo poo hole.

Yeah, to be fair, Bethesda don't seem to be able to move past the original Fallout setting, despite constantly moving the timeline on. I get why you'd want to make a game set in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse, just stop saying they're 200 years later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Absolution was a meh third person stealth game that didn't need to where about Hitman at all. It was fun enough at the time but after playing Hitman A World of Assassinations it seems like a bigger mistake than it did.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hitman Absolution was good, not great. The sound design in particular was amazing. The library level they used to "demo" it was a good example. All the guards there have little backstories and they all respond differently (audio-wise) to different threats. Like one of the guys they pick on for being a rookie, and if you take him as a human shield all the guards know that he's the rookie and respond accordingly. It's extremely impressive. Even Thi4f has some good poo poo in there, for instance after you alert the guards in an area and they resume their patrol, they are way more antsy and one edge and it comes across in both their audio and their physical demeanor (they get nervous and fidgety)

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 9, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, to be fair, Bethesda don't seem to be able to move past the original Fallout setting, despite constantly moving the timeline on. I get why you'd want to make a game set in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse, just stop saying they're 200 years later.
Which is weird because Fallout 2 did that. The NCR had built a brand new city with paved roads and everything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zereth posted:

Which is weird because Fallout 2 did that. The NCR had built a brand new city with paved roads and everything.

Yup, and New Vegas did as well. Fallout 3 and 4 feel like games that should be in the same timeframe as the original Fallout.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a lot more fun to explore a post apocalypse than a post post one where things are fixed up, and people kind of just expect it in Fallout now even though it makes increasingly less sense.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a lot more fun to explore a post apocalypse than a post post one where things are fixed up, and people kind of just expect it in Fallout now even though it makes increasingly less sense.

The fun setting is the one thats well written with well written characters. Its up to the writers to have the imagination necessary to make it interesting.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I can get why people want to explore that world, and it's really easy for Bethesda to just say "This is the same time as original Fallout, just on the east coast" and make it fit. It's a really minor nitpick though, I know.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RBA Starblade posted:

Why would it make no sense for humanity to have rebuilt some cities after 200+ years? Ignoring Fallout's built-in unrealistic radiation logic.(realistically the whole of the planet should still be uninhabitable and everyone should probably be dead or still living in their vaults)

Especially in a setting where drat near everything is nuclear powered: you've got vehicles with fission reactors, vertibirds, power armor, laser weapons/probably tools too, etc.
The technology is obviously still there and so they would have the perfect means of rebuilding civilization right there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I agree, I'll never understand why FO3 was set 200 years after the bombs, and yet it seems like it's maybe 20 years instead. It's just so weird; if you want post-apocalyptic, then don't put it at a time when the world would have definitely mostly moved on.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Dyz posted:

Not so much hate as the only word most people can think to describe it is “meh”.

Yeah, I don't hate Fallout 4. I nothing it.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree, I'll never understand why FO3 was set 200 years after the bombs, and yet it seems like it's maybe 20 years instead. It's just so weird; if you want post-apocalyptic, then don't put it at a time when the world would have definitely mostly moved on.
It's because Bethesda are kind of poo poo at writing and have only the shallowest possible appreciation of Fallout.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This revisionist Hitman: Absolution history is making me frown a lot.

Also can we not have the Awful Mods Thread Fallout farming discussion in here too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grey Goo is hitting all of my childhood memories quite well - interesting yet easy to grasp mechanics, controls that make sense, and best of all, the campaign is fun! The cinematics are pretty, the aliens are weird, and while I can't judge if these maps are "good" or not as I'm not a skilled RTS player, they're fun to play! Storming a bunker with my heavies is lots of fun, and the flying units are just...mm.

So for a dollar I'm happy. It's Warcraft 2, 3 and Starcraft all over again, enjoyable at my strategy-poor level. :D

e: A brief story: back when I was 11 and my brother was like 9, we did a match where we teamed up against a Warcraft 3 VERY EASY AI and still lost.

We never did figure out how to beat the drat thing, but man did we have a lot of fun with the campaign and custom maps and so on. ... I should find those discs and reinstall and find out if the years have made me any better...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grey Goo is hitting all of my childhood memories quite well - interesting yet easy to grasp mechanics, controls that make sense, and best of all, the campaign is fun! The cinematics are pretty, the aliens are weird, and while I can't judge if these maps are "good" or not as I'm not a skilled RTS player, they're fun to play! Storming a bunker with my heavies is lots of fun, and the flying units are just...mm.

So for a dollar I'm happy. It's Warcraft 2, 3 and Starcraft all over again, enjoyable at my strategy-poor level. :D

e: A brief story: back when I was 11 and my brother was like 9, we did a match where we teamed up against a Warcraft 3 VERY EASY AI and still lost.

We never did figure out how to beat the drat thing, but man did we have a lot of fun with the campaign and custom maps and so on. ... I should find those discs and reinstall and find out if the years have made me any better...

I'm similar, but Age of Empires. Never figured out how to win without turtling back then, and I really want to just go back in time to young me and punch myself in the face and say "YOU CAN BUILD MULTIPLE PRODUCTION BUILDINGS OF THE SAME TYPE DUMBASS, GET TEN SWORD DUDES AT ONCE INSTEAD OF ONE AT A TIME". That secret of RTS gaming needs to be told to every dumb kid in the world.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You could do some absolutely incredible things with the Fallout setting hundreds of years out from the war. Just exploring the evolution of something like NCR from a tiny village to a sprawling nation-state could span a dozen games, focusing on different aspects of its growth into a wholly new society. Cultural norms, architecture, customs, everything would be so wildly different hundreds of years after a nuclear war that it would hardly be recognizable.

Instead I'm pretty sure Bethesda has a branding document that they drop on the desk of every producer of the series that's filled with screenshots of Fallout 3 and directions to do this but in different colors and at higher resolutions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm similar, but Age of Empires. Never figured out how to win without turtling back then, and I really want to just go back in time to young me and punch myself in the face and say "YOU CAN BUILD MULTIPLE PRODUCTION BUILDINGS OF THE SAME TYPE DUMBASS, GET TEN SWORD DUDES AT ONCE INSTEAD OF ONE AT A TIME". That secret of RTS gaming needs to be told to every dumb kid in the world.

:same:

It felt taboo to build multiple factories in Grey Goo just now, but... woah, it works! So many more units!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Too Shy Guy posted:

You could do some absolutely incredible things with the Fallout setting hundreds of years out from the war. Just exploring the evolution of something like NCR from a tiny village to a sprawling nation-state could span a dozen games, focusing on different aspects of its growth into a wholly new society. Cultural norms, architecture, customs, everything would be so wildly different hundreds of years after a nuclear war that it would hardly be recognizable.

Instead I'm pretty sure Bethesda has a branding document that they drop on the desk of every producer of the series that's filled with screenshots of Fallout 3 and directions to do this but in different colors and at higher resolutions.
Bethesda does the same thing with Elder Scrolls. Elder Scrolls secretly has the some of the nuttiest lore and setting in a video game, i.e. space-faring ancient alien dwarves, everything about CHIM, etc., but you wouldn't know this if you weren't diving into in-game books and the like because Bethesda is just content making ES as generic Tolkein-esque fantasy as possible.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 9, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know how you manage to stay so upbeat with such a crippling disease (bad at RTS), Strix. It's a real inspiration.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

I don't know how you manage to stay so upbeat with such a crippling disease (bad at RTS), Strix. It's a real inspiration.

Haha. I'm bad at a lot of games, but as long as I'm having fun, it doesn't matter!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The only thing Skyrim did that I found legitimately cool was the enormous glowing mushroom and Crystal cave that stretched under Skyrim.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I blame Red Alert /Command and Conquer for this. Building more then one factory/barracks only made units build faster not produce two or more at the same time in that game series.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Orv posted:

Games are fun. Not something this thread grasps, easily, I know.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BexGu posted:

I blame Red Alert /Command and Conquer for this. Building more then one factory/barracks only made units build faster not produce two or more at the same time in that game series.

...wait what

You're loving with me right?

Please tell me I didn't just discover this ability 15 years after the fact.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

And you're a loving idiot who never posts anything useful in here so why do you keep posting? It was a joke, dumbass.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The only people left after the bombs fell are like, the shittiest assholes in the world (except for The King). My inner canon is that they're all just too lovely to ever do anything that would resemble progress, and then having lovely offspring to perpetuate the cycle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deakul posted:

Why would it make no sense for humanity to have rebuilt some cities after 200+ years? Ignoring Fallout's built-in unrealistic radiation logic.(realistically the whole of the planet should still be uninhabitable and everyone should probably be dead or still living in their vaults)

I meant that it makes increasingly less sense as the centuries pass that those cities are still shitholes where no one even bothered to pick up the skulls.

quote:

It's because Bethesda are kind of poo poo at writing and have only the shallowest possible appreciation of Fallout.

I enjoy FO3, FO4, and NV equally but for different reasons for all three.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Orv posted:

And you're a loving idiot who never posts anything useful in here so why do you keep posting? It was a joke, dumbass.

Jesus christ, calm the gently caress down.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Looks like there's a truck fleet manager now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/494670/TransRoad_USA/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIcP2eXzJJ0

Vaguely reminds me of Motorsport Manager. Shot straight into top sellers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It would be difficult for me to not understand management games more, but awful open Hawaiian shirt man might have something to say about that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Olive! posted:

Jesus christ, calm the gently caress down.

He's right, but in a very grumpy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

are they as fun as perpetually making GBS threads on steam thread posters in the steam thread, though