Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

zoux posted:

I think the deal was the Duffers wanted to have an rear end in a top hat teenage bully like so many 80s movies did and that was supposed to be Steve Harrington but turns out everyone liked Joe Keery so much they changed their mind and wrote him into a nicer guy. So this season they took another shot at that kind of character.

Which explains Steve's Wayfarer sunglasses, all he needs is the 80's movie dickhead cackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I think the deal was the Duffers wanted to have an rear end in a top hat teenage bully like so many 80s movies did and that was supposed to be Steve Harrington but turns out everyone liked Joe Keery so much they changed their mind and wrote him into a nicer guy. So this season they took another shot at that kind of character.

They gave Steve so much depth that the redemption arc, even if it was last minute, felt totally earned. He's now one of the best characters on the show. The fact he always loses fights against humans but kicks some monster rear end is one of his best character traits, too, I hope he never wins a fist fight.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean to be fair, Billy is a square-jawed bohunk who has like 80 lbs of muscle and mass on Steve. The fact that Steve even landed a few hits at all and made him bleed was impressive enough.

I doubt that Billy would be laughing very hard if Steve had used his whackin' bat.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

King Vidiot posted:

I mean to be fair, Billy is a square-jawed bohunk who has like 80 lbs of muscle and mass on Steve.
Not to mention he totally cheated by using a plate.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Not to mention he totally cheated by using a plate.

That was a really sturdy plate though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

They gave Steve so much depth that the redemption arc, even if it was last minute, felt totally earned. He's now one of the best characters on the show. The fact he always loses fights against humans but kicks some monster rear end is one of his best character traits, too, I hope he never wins a fist fight.

It's been pretty fun watching the reaction to Steve from fans, people are loving bonkers in love with him. It must be gratifying to act in a role that connects with so many people.

Creepy racism aside, Billy's a pretty funny character. Pumping iron in his living room, listening to Ratt, smoking and drinking a beer. And that poo poo with Mike's mom is hilarous. I think they were going for this over the top absurd bully character but maybe went too far.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

King Vidiot posted:

I doubt that Billy would be laughing very hard if Steve had used his whackin' bat.

Like we need any comparisons to Negan to happen.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just realized that since Steve ditched his high school friends and got dumped by Nancy, the kids are his only friends now. I fully expect to see him playing Dungeons and Dragons next season.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Count me as one of the people who hopes Steve's poor educational prospects and knack for saving the day leads him to stick around and join the Hawkins Police.

Just so I can see scene where Hopper catches Steve hammering nails into a truncheon.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Lycus posted:

I fully expect to see him playing Dungeons and Dragons next season.

If this is the first scene of the next series I'll die happy :3:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Lycus posted:

I just realized that since Steve ditched his high school friends and got dumped by Nancy, the kids are his only friends now. I fully expect to see him playing Dungeons and Dragons next season.

If this is a reference to how Freaks and Geeks ended then good on ya man, proud of you

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I did think of Freaks and Geeks after I wrote that.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i wanted to see more of the kids playing d&d. but i guess we're moving into video games and skateboarding now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Skizzzer posted:

i wanted to see more of the kids playing d&d. but i guess we're moving into video games and skateboarding now.

I mean the next season might take place in October of '85 right? If that's true then everyone is just gonna be playing Super Mario Bros/Dunk Hunt by then.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Lycus posted:

Oh, it's worse than that. He's still friends with Nancy and Jonathan. Having him in a kids' D&D game would be too much of a direct rip off of Freaks and Geeks, but it was just last night when I realized how much this show is beating Paul Feig at his own game. (Haven't caught the Ghostbusters remake myself though.)

I'm positive Steve had some dialogue in season 2 that foreshadowed him going into the family business instead of going to college. I don't know how you would write someone like Nancy sticking around instead of going off to college, but maybe they'll come up with something. Jonathan it's easy to see as too poor, uninterested, or attached to his family to go off to college somewhere. Billy's already going nowhere.

Even if we don't see the kids play that much D&D anymore, it's still the lens they use to understand all the sci-fi stuff happening. It's also where they come from whether or not it's where they're going.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean the next season might take place in October of '85 right? If that's true then everyone is just gonna be playing Super Mario Bros/Dunk Hunt by then.

I'm just waiting for the show to reach Pop Culture Singularity once the kids in the show have all seen The Goonies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orange Crush Rush posted:

We're going to hear about the Minus World next aren't we

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Onomarchus posted:

Oh, it's worse than that. He's still friends with Nancy and Jonathan. Having him in a kids' D&D game would be too much of a direct rip off of Freaks and Geeks, but it was just last night when I realized how much this show is beating Paul Feig at his own game. (Haven't caught the Ghostbusters remake myself though.)

I'm positive Steve had some dialogue in season 2 that foreshadowed him going into the family business instead of going to college. I don't know how you would write someone like Nancy sticking around instead of going off to college, but maybe they'll come up with something. Jonathan it's easy to see as too poor, uninterested, or attached to his family to go off to college somewhere. Billy's already going nowhere.

Even if we don't see the kids play that much D&D anymore, it's still the lens they use to understand all the sci-fi stuff happening. It's also where they come from whether or not it's where they're going.

i'm pretty sure nancy and johathon still have one more year of school to go, they're not as old as steve.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IMDB put together some shot-for-shot comparisons between s2 and the movies it homages. Some of them seem like stretches but most of them are bang on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYiWTm089k

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

IMDB put together some shot-for-shot comparisons between s2 and the movies it homages. Some of them seem like stretches but most of them are bang on.

It might not have been a shot-for-shot recreation but the sequence of the kids splitting up to hunt for Dart in the school is a pretty direct homage to the Ghostbusters splitting up to hunt down Slimer in the hotel (calling out hallways as they clear them, accidentally attacking an old lady, veeeery carefully radioing in and then immediately getting "slimed.")

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Skizzzer posted:

i'm pretty sure nancy and johathon still have one more year of school to go, they're not as old as steve.

drat, you might be right about Nancy. I took her conversation with Steve about college apps to mean she was getting them in too, but she could have just been forward looking and concerned. Jonathan though was driving around in his own car in November of the last year, so it didn't seem like he was just a sophomore then. Could have been I guess, now that I think about it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lots of places sophomores have cars and are old enough to drive. My highschool had a sophomore parking lot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Onomarchus posted:

drat, you might be right about Nancy. I took her conversation with Steve about college apps to mean she was getting them in too, but she could have just been forward looking and concerned.

I think in that conversation, they talked about him going off to college while she's still in Hawkins, strongly implying that he's older than her.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
And the A+ overachievers are definitely getting started on college prep in junior year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lycus posted:

I think in that conversation, they talked about him going off to college while she's still in Hawkins, strongly implying that he's older than her.

I am old and I still get residual stress thinking about that time when classmates out of nowhere started talking about college prep in junior year and I'm behind the 8 ball obliviously wasting my time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just finished season 2, liked it a lot, had been told that it wasn't as good as season 1 because the slow discovery of abnormal poo poo can't happen for the same characters again - but I don't really see that as a criticism because... well you just can't put that cat back in the bag. Could have dealt with the new season being about entirely new characters/a situation, but I'm glad to see the old ones as the interactions between them and with respect to the fantastical poo poo they deal with was always more interesting than the fantasy stuff itself.

I wonder if they go with the same threat for season 3? Is the government going to play a more involved role with the characters? Too bad it's going to take another year to find out lol

Away all Goats posted:

I think they just kinda forgot about it, like the first demigorgon having telekinesis.

it's possible the others would get this if the molt a few more times, they didn't look fully grown in ep. 9 even

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

zoux posted:

"Feeeeed me, Dustin! Feed me all night loooong!"

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I watched the scene again and Steve is definitely a year ahead of Nancy. Jonathan I have no idea on, but it doesn't really matter since he's the one most likely to stick around anyhow.

Some people are getting started on college prep in kindergarten, or are forced to. Hopefully not on this show. Some things really were better in the 80s.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Jonathan and Nancy are in the same class when that girl is handing out party flyers as they leave.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what the hell is that video? will convulsing is much closer to the thing than it is invasion of the body snatchers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Onomarchus posted:

Like, the game of nostalgia capitalism or are you arguing this show is better than Freaks and Geeks?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Billy is not racist, he just has a justified concern about socializing with nerds

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Like, the game of nostalgia capitalism or are you arguing this show is better than Freaks and Geeks?

Well, both. Freaks and Geeks was good for what it was, but I don't think it's as good as Stranger Things and it certainly didn't get renewed or do as well. Feig landed the Ghostbusters remake but everything I've heard about it is that it was a disappointment, while ST season 2 spun a great episode around Ghostbusters. In both cases Feig was doing what Stranger Things does first, but Stranger Things did it better. I guess what I meant was quality, with commercial success just following from that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

LinYutang posted:

Billy is not racist, he just has a justified concern about socializing with nerds
People who hate on Billy are the real racists.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Billy and Max felt somewhat tacked on after the first couple episodes, and in a show where the characters have shown so much complexity and depth (and avoiding stereotypes very well, looking at you Steve), his presence was very one dimensional and jarring. Not that I didn't enjoy his scenes but I kept thinking "where's he gonna turn into someone else/we going to learn more about him?". Closest the show comes is him getting smacked around and yelled at by his dad; but that doesn't add much explanation for how he acts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm of the opinion that it's an essential scene. For the first time, lil Billy is finally getting getting some discipline, and you immediately realize that this it not the solution, but the very reason why he's such a piece of poo poo. Billy's stepmom is terrified. You even have Max explicitly saying that she doesn't want to act like Billy, she doesn't want to perpetuate the abuse.

In a story about people young and old self-actualizing (El, Hopper, Max, Steve), Billy stands alone as a contrast.

Maybe you can give him a redemption arc in later seasons. Though Steve had some depth to work with in S1, Billy just seems incredibly one dimensional. Maybe you can let him break out of his toxic masculinity or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

Well, both. Freaks and Geeks was good for what it was, but I don't think it's as good as Stranger Things and it certainly didn't get renewed or do as well. Feig landed the Ghostbusters remake but everything I've heard about it is that it was a disappointment, while ST season 2 spun a great episode around Ghostbusters. In both cases Feig was doing what Stranger Things does first, but Stranger Things did it better. I guess what I meant was quality, with commercial success just following from that.

These are fighting words. I see a shared interest in exploring characters and giving them freedom to develop in unexpected ways, but the characters in Stranger Things don’t have nearly the complexity or depth of those from Freaks and Geeks. The characters on Stranger Things are a real delight and the actors play them well, but they don’t have a lot of substance to them. They’re built on types and then given some unexpected features that make cool moments.

I am glad Stranger Things gives priority to character over story and that it works so hard to give them all things to do and puts them in fun pairings or groupings. But Freaks and Geeks was lightning in a bottle—and not any one person’s vision. There was more future talent there in every aspect of production than any other show that’s ever been, even X-Files.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also, who’s everyone’s favorite breakout player this season? Mine’s Bob for sure, but I really like that scene where he teams up with Paul Reiser. They’re just two impotent nerds in way over their heads trying to help each other. It was unexpected and fun. Well, until the end.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and counted 5 licensed music tracks, not sure why everyone is complaining about licensed music in the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

They were fairly perfunctory this season. Also I missed Hopper being a copper from the first season. He had more scenes bouncing off of different people and it felt like it was just some farmers and Reiser this go around. His relationship with 11 felt a little underwritten considering his backstory, too.

• Locked thread