Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

six no substitute posted:

I’s a well-known urban legend. Supposedly cockroaches get in there and eat through your brain.

Excuse me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

:stare: Well i wasnt planning on sleeping tonight anyway

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, getting boiled to death in a street fight may be one of the manliest horrible ways to die.

All that was left was his whale-bone pipe and his mutton chops

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The only other most badass way to go is having a bear push you into one of those boiling acid pools at Yosemite.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Untrustable posted:

The only other most badass way to go is having a bear push you into one of those boiling acid pools at Yosemite.

Ah time for my least favorite story of all time.

https://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hotspring.asp

quote:

The hot springs found in abundance throughout Yellowstone National Park’s thermal areas are bubbling cauldrons of steam and boiling water, most of them hotter than 150°F, and many of them in the 185°-205°F range.

On 20 July 1981, 24-year-old David Allen Kirwan from La Cañada, California, was driving through Yellowstone’s Fountain Paint Pot thermal area with his friend Ronald Ratliff and Ratliff’s dog Moosie. At about 1:00 P.M. they parked their truck to get out and take a closer look at the hot springs; Moosie escaped from the truck, ran towards nearby Celestine Pool (a thermal spring whose water temperature has been measured at over 200°), jumped in, and began yelping. According to bystanders, several people tried to warn Kirwan off by yelling at him not to jump in, but he shouted “Like hell I won’t!” back at them, took two steps into the pool, and then dove head-first into the boiling spring.

Kirwan swam out to the dog and attempted to take it to shore; he then disappeared underwater, let go of the dog, and tried to climb out of the pool. Ratliff helped pull Kirwan out of the hot spring (resulting in second-degree burns to his own feet), and another visitor led Kirwan to the sidewalk as he reportedly muttered, “That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did.”

Kirwan was indeed in very bad shape. He was blind, and when another park visitor tried to remove one of his shoes, his skin (which was already peeling everywhere) came off with it.

I think this story has been posted in this thread a couple of times now but good God I cannot think of a worse way to go.

ETA: The Chicago Tribune's version of this story adds a couple extra gruesome details.

Depressio111117 has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Nov 9, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Depressio111117 posted:

I think this story has been posted in this thread a couple of times now but good God I cannot think of a worse way to go.

ETA: The Chicago Tribune's version of this story adds a couple extra gruesome details.

This time around can we not talk about how this dude "made humanity a favor and removed himself from the genepool"?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Depressio111117 posted:

The worst part of this is that he lived long enough to die in a hospital the next day. I hope he was at least loaded up with as much morphine as his veins could hold.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Antivehicular posted:

The worst part of this is that he lived long enough to die in a hospital the next day. I hope he was at least loaded up with as much morphine as his veins could hold.

morphine is for closers

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

morphine is for closers

dang

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Dude wanted to save his friend's dog :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm assuming they were dating or something because diving into boiling water after a friend's dog is not something you'd normally do.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming they were dating or something because diving into boiling water after a friend's dog is not something you'd normally do.

I'm sure he didn't know it was boiling water, and an almost certain death sentence. Watching a dog die in front of you would be pretty terrible and a your natural instinct would be to try and save it.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Sometimes people do wild stupid moves on an impulse. The sad thing about this is I can kind of imagine doing this if I hadn’t already known how horrifyingly hot those fuckers are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

I'm sure he didn't know it was boiling and a death sentence. Watching a dog die in front of you would be pretty terrible and a your natural instinct would be to try and save it.

So he thought the dog was dying in regular temperature water? I agree that he probably didn't know how bad it was actually gonna be, but he had to know there was danger involved in it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

So he thought the dog was dying in regular temperature water? I agree that he probably didn't know how bad it was actually gonna be, but he had to know there was danger involved in it.

He was probably willing to get burned to some extent to save the dog. I doubt he jumps in if he thinks there's a good chance of him dying.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, whether they were dating or not, dude was a good friend.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Actually the most badass way to die is taking eleven wolves with you

quote:

Cochrane was employed in trapping animals when he was attacked by a large pack of timber wolves. When searchers arrived at the horrific scene they found the bones of Cochrane's body, a rifle with a broken buttstock, and the bones of eleven huge timber wolves. Seven of the wolves had been shot and four had been clubbed to death by Cochrane's rifle buttstock. The remaining wolf pack overwhelmed Cochrane causing his death.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

He presumably thought of it as a hot spring like those monkeys in Japan bathe in sometimes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah and a small dog will be overwhelmed by it faster than a grown human.

That said, also, I am going to be honest, those pools don't look even close to how hot they are. They don't steam nearly like you'd expect for something as gruesomely hot as they are, and apparently there are one or two the park service used to let people bathe in, I don't know. It's a bad and gross way to go.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Didn't Liam Neeson star in this movie?

drat lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The worst way to go was probably for Hisashi Ouchi who received possibly the largest dose of radiation for a human ever and was kept alive, against his will, for 83 days. There are some pretty gruesome pics in that link so be warned.

quote:

As his condition worsened, he was transferred to University of Tokyo Hospital and, reportedly, underwent the world’s first transfusion of peripheral stem cells. He was also given many blood transfusions, fluids, and medicine that wasn’t even available in Japan yet. He also had to undergo several skin transplants which couldn’t help the loss of fluids through pores. After being treated for a week, Ouchi managed to say, “I can’t take it any more… I am not a guinea pig”. However, the doctors kept treating him and taking measures to keep him alive, which only ensured a very slow and very painful death.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

zoux posted:

The worst way to go was probably for Hisashi Ouchi who received possibly the largest dose of radiation for a human ever and was kept alive, against his will, for 83 days. There are some pretty gruesome pics in that link so be warned.

This is horrific but man, rough name.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Depressio111117 posted:

This is horrific but man, rough name.

I'm laughing so hard. God I feel terrible.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EmmyOk posted:

This is how I would like to go, they will call it "Trial by Eleven Wolves" and I will be both the victim and the victor

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wolf Trial is gonna be the name of my new black metal band.

edit:

OK, anyone play drums?

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Nov 9, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wolf Trial is gonna be the name of my new black metal band.

edit:

OK, anyone play drums?

My artist name will be Keith Moon Moon

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

My artist name will be Keith Moon Moon

:rock:

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

zoux posted:

:nws: :nws: nws: https://imgur.com/r/crimescene/JH4hJ :nws: :nws: :nws:

here's a longer writeup with more pics.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Depressio111117 posted:

was that the one where the dog was completely dissolved the next day? or was that another person that was dissolved in a really short time

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DemonDarkhorse posted:

I've seen this a few times and this is always the part that freaks me out the most:

quote:

“[N]one of Ouchi’s chromosomes could be identified or arranged in order.”

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

datajugend posted:

was that the one where the dog was completely dissolved the next day? or was that another person that was dissolved in a really short time

That was a more recent case where a woman's brother fell in

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

DemonDarkhorse posted:

It says link not found now. :/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It works for me. I like this chromosome picture:

One method of post-accident dosimetry is to take a blood sample, separate the lymphocytes out of it, add phytohemagglutinin (you can get it from red kidney beans) to induce the cells to divide, then add a dye so you can see the chromosomes under a microscope. Then you look at individual cells and count how many messed-up chromosomes there are, and after you get a big enough sample to get a good average you can compare the average to data and determine how big a dose the person was zapped with.

The main way that radiation damages cells is via DNA damage. Radiation doesn't harm many types of cells in your body, but anything that dies and is replaced on a schedule can be harmed. This includes a bunch of cell types related to your skin, intestinal walls, hair, and blood cell production. If radiation zips through the DNA and breaks both sides of the strand close together, the DNA can come apart. It can stick itself back together, but sometimes it will stick to something else or stick back together incorrectly. This results in hosed-up chromosomes.

Any cell that has messed-up chromosomes will not be able to reproduce. This is bad because a big enough dose that kills the reproduction of too many cells will have consequences when your existing intestinal lining, blood cells, etc. die and are have no replacements waiting. This is why radiation has a lead time before symptoms appear and why the symptoms manifest as bloody diarrhea, low blood cell counts, sunburn-like skin damage, hair falling out, etc..

Here's a picture of a chromosome sample with a couple of standard chromosome aberrations:

Just one aberration is enough to kill a cell. The number of aberrations from cell to cell may vary, which is why you need to take a large number of counts and average them. If you have an average of 3 aberrations per cell, as in a lot of your cells look like this picture, you probably got hit with a lethal dose in the excess of 10 gray. Compare that to Ouchi's chromosomes and you can see that while the 3 in this picture are slightly messed up, all of his are unrecognizable :stare:

edit: It's awful that he suffered so much but the only way you can get data is to study people who get huge doses in accidents so hopefully what was learned is used to save lives in the future

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Nov 10, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

BattleMaster posted:

edit: It's awful that he suffered so much but the only way you can get data is to study people who get huge doses in accidents so hopefully what was learned is used to save lives in the future
IIRC he was in a medically induced coma and as far as they could tell was not in any way aware for those 83 days. I wouldn't think it was ethical to keep someone alive, awake, and aware for that period of time after a horrible accident with incurable wounds just to get medical data from them, but that's not what they were doing. It's still unsettling, but it's not quite so horrific, thank god.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PetraCore posted:

IIRC he was in a medically induced coma and as far as they could tell was not in any way aware for those 83 days. I wouldn't think it was ethical to keep someone alive, awake, and aware for that period of time after a horrible accident with incurable wounds just to get medical data from them, but that's not what they were doing. It's still unsettling, but it's not quite so horrific, thank god.

I hadn't studied that particular case in depth but supposedly he asked to die at some point so he was in a bad state for some time before they did it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Labes for days posted:

It says link not found now. :/

Imgur links don’t work properly on mobile. I have the same problem. There’s probably an obvious solution, but :effort:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

PetraCore posted:

quote:

After being treated for a week, Ouchi managed to say, “I can’t take it any more… I am not a guinea pig”.

That does not sound like someone in a coma.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
That last picture in that imgur link, where you can (I'm assuming that's what it is) see the damage done over time to his face is disturbing as hell. Poor guy.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Speaking of terrible things happening to faces, has this thread talked about the auto-icon before?

Jeremy Bentam's Preserved Corpse Will Haunt Your Nightmares posted:

Jeremy Bentham was an English philosopher who will be forever known to critical theorists as “that rear end in a top hat that invented the panopticon.” He was also a proponent of utilitarianism and animal rights.

So what does a utilitarian ask for in the last days of his life? Well, it just so happens to be the coolest thing ever: Bentham wanted an auto-icon made of himself. What’s an auto-icon? I’m glad you asked, because it’s Bentham-speak for “put my preserved corpse in a closet…forever.”

Wait, auto-icon, are you saying this a thing other people do? I mean, a term like auto-icon seems to imply that it was a practice widespread enough to warrant its own word. But the idea was Bentham’s own, and written in his will. Now, say what you will about the Soviet’s, but to my knowledge Lenin was never said “Hey comrades, if you could preserve my corpse forever, I would be sooooo happy.” Additionally, the whole “dictators in glass coffins” thing seems to stick to the traditional “dead” pose, not the “Grandpa’s skeleton is watching you masturbate” pose.

Oh, did I say skeleton? Because half of this thing is a skeleton.Bentham didn’t want his whole body preserved, no, that would be crazy. Bentham requested that his head be mummified using the process performed by indigenous New Zealanders. The rest of his body, or specifically his skeleton, would be stuffed with hay and adorned with Bentham’s clothes. Because apparently the world’s most pre-eminent utilitarian wants to be forever remembered as the coolest scarecrow ever.

But it gets better. The whole “guy attempting a foreign mummification process” went as swimmingly as you’d expect. As the University College London site notes: “Unfortunately when the time came to preserve it for posterity, the process went disastrously wrong, robbing the head of most of its facial expression, and leaving it decidedly unattractive.” So the head you see is, in fact, made of wax. Don’t worry though, Bentham’s horrifying mummified head is still preserved nearby.

The University College London (UCL) eventually gained possession of the icon, where it has remained since 1850. There is a myth that Bentham’s auto-icon still attends every UCL meeting and is noted as “present but not voting.” While that is false, the auto-icon did make an appearance this month for the last council meeting that UCL’s retiring provost would attend.

I’d like to request that all Critical-Theory readers email University College London and demand immediate production of “Weekend at Bernies III: The Funopticon.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Goon Danton posted:

Speaking of terrible things happening to faces, has this thread talked about the auto-icon before?

UC Berkeley has the preserved remains of an Anthro professor who thought it would be rad to have that done and be donated to the musuem collection. It kinda just hangs out.