Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Got a link?

e: It appears to be just the cover

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Intruder posted:

Got a link?

e: It appears to be just the cover

Nope, it's the full issue (option to purchase issue is on the right hand side, $19.95):

https://backissues.si.com/storefront/2014/baseball-s-great-experiment-george-springer/prodSI20140630.html

Here's a link to the other cover:

https://backissues.si.com/storefront/2017/si-presents-2017-world-series-champions-a/prodSI20171119ASPEC.html

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Favorite Astro Memories!

I used to work for the city and went to some Astros and Parks & Rec thing in 2010 for a new little league field. Annise Parker was there to give a speech and threw out a first pitch on the little league field to Wandy Rodriguez. She nailed it and then told Wandy it was a better pitch than anything he had thrown that season.

It owned.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

hi i just want to point out that as of this moment, right now

the astros are world series champions

well, have a good day

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

Favorite Astro Memories!

Being at the Jeff Kent walkoff game after the near no-hitter by Galveston Ball's own Brandon Backe.

My brother-in-law and I said to each other "we're going to the World Series" because we were up 3-2 heading back to St Louis at that point. We did not. :negative:

Oh also being at the Chris Burke walkoff game as well. My hands literally hurt from applauding at that game, but it was six hours long so...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My favorite Astros memory is very hazy. It was sometime in the late 80s, the Astros were down and I wanted to leave the game, my dad refused even though Glenn Wilson who was garbage was the Astros last hope, he came through and they won and my dad told me I should never give up hope

Which is a lesson that clearly didn't sink in because I give up hope constantly. I have no idea which game it is

But at the time it was amazing and the memory at least stuck with me

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
My favorite Astros memory was being at Game 5 of the 2017 World Series.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Sab0921 posted:

Favorite Astro Memories!
Mostly spending time with my Granny watching baseball. I also have bittersweet memories of being at the dome with my parents. It's one of my earliest memories. We were in the upper deck, first base side, and Jose Cruz came up to bat. I remember running down the stairs to the rail yelling, "CRUUUUUZ!" and looking back at my dad smiling, then running back to them and hugging my mom after Cheo got a hit. It was the last birthday I ever got to spend with them before they died.

I was at game 3 of the 2005 World Series, and I made it to all three home games of this year's World Series. I went to the last Astros game in the Astrodome, and the first game in Enron Field. I was in the Crawford Boxes for Biggio's 3,000th hit.

I would have been at Fiers no hitter, but I gave my tickets to Intruder because one of my best friends was back in town for the evening, and I thought, "I can miss a Fiers start."

God, I love baseball.

G-Hawk posted:

hi i just want to point out that as of this moment, right now

the astros are world series champions

well, have a good day

It still doesn't feel real!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I remember when Imasalmon met me and my dad at a game and thought my dad was some weird dude just talking to me for no reason. It was hilarious.

For those who saw my video of the bananas, which is like everyone: it's hard to believe my dad is pale with blond hair and blue eyes

Which is why my kids are one of them blond with blue eyes and the other a ginger with green eyes, and here I am very latino looking with brown hair and eyes lol

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 7, 2017

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

and favorite astros memories

at the dome for randy johnson's home debut. loudest i ever heard the astrodome

at the backe/jeff kent walkoff in 2004 and 18 inning game in 2005

also last astrodome, first enron field

and off the wall one, going to a corpus christi hooks game in the 2000s where i got to hang out with nolan ryan and nerd about the astros farm system

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astrodome memories: Jose Lima in a beat up pickup truck with like five other people in it in a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off blasting tejano music and signing tons of autographs out of the window

It owned

Back in the dome days you could line up outside of the player entrance and a bunch of them would stop and sign autographs. Bagwell didn't sign many but Biggio signed for everyone

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hell, just my first game at MMP (vs the Pirates in 2001) was a great experience. Even though it's not regarded as a great ballpark, the game-day experience was infinitely better than at the few games I had seen at Joe Robbie Stadium or whatever they're calling it these days

Also, going to the final game of the season in 2004 when we were riding a hot streak and clinched the wild card spot. MMP was absolutely electric

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i miss the astrodome and i wont apologize for it

also being at the derby when berkman went nuts was cool as poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Back in the dome days you could line up outside of the player entrance and a bunch of them would stop and sign autographs. Bagwell didn't sign many but Biggio signed for everyone

I did this a few times when I was maybe 5 or 6. Jose Cruz signed a hat for me and Luis Gonzalez gave me a bat. I was there when they clinched at the last Dome game and Biggio rode his harley around the field.

My favorite memory doesn't really involve me directly. They used to do that kids baseball clinic thing and I got to go in '98. A month or two before that, we were at a game and my sister (just barely 4 at the time) was hit by a Jose Lima foul ball (indirectly, luckily, it had bounced off a seat near us). Well, my sister went with me to this clinic and Lima happened to be there. When she saw him, she took off running, went over to him, tugged on his pants, and said "You hit me with a foul ball!" and pointed at her arm. Without missing a beat, Lima scooped her up and hugged her, apologized, and signed a ball for her. Somewhere in my folks old photos is a polaroid of Lima and my sister mugging for the camera.

Jose Lima owned :unsmith:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

G-Hawk posted:

i miss the astrodome and i wont apologize for it

I did too until I started going to Minute Maid on my own when I got into my teens and it's so much easier to get to than dealing with 610.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The interesting thing about this particular World Series for me has to do with the first game I can remember going to.

I was about 6 and my uncle and dad took me to see the Astros. Their opponent that day? The Dodgers.

Now this was the first exposure to baseball that my mind can recall, and because I didn't really know how anything worked, I somehow ended up thinking that the Astros and Dodgers were the only two teams in existence. And since the Astros were the good guys, that made the Dodgers the bad guys.

I continued to have this misconception for like a year.

I thus grew up with a completely irrational hate of the Dodgers. So this series was especially surreal.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That doesn't make you weird, that makes you an old timer. Back in the NL West days they were the Astros' first nemesis. It wasn't til our lifetimes that the Cardinals took that title over.

Speaking of the Cardinals, if you really want old timers there are still native Houstonians out there that are life long Cards fans by way of the Houston Buffs.

Intruder posted:

Jose Lima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVKgbmfx3P4&t=22s

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 7, 2017

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
While I wasn't raised in Houston Nolan Ryan was the reason I feel in love with baseball and the Astros in the late 80s. By the time we moved here he was long gone (but I did have many chances to watch him in Dallas, including being at the game when Ventura charged the mound) but my personal favorite Astros memory was still the very time I got to visit the dome when we moved here in 96. After seeing it so many times on TV it was just amazing to see in person. Couple of years later we had season tickets and I snuck off to as many games as possible, was at last game in dome, first at MMP. As much as I love and miss the astrodome, MMP was amazing to step into that first year.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Imasalmon posted:

Mostly spending time with my Granny watching baseball. I also have bittersweet memories of being at the dome with my parents. It's one of my earliest memories. We were in the upper deck, first base side, and Jose Cruz came up to bat. I remember running down the stairs to the rail yelling, "CRUUUUUZ!" and looking back at my dad smiling, then running back to them and hugging my mom after Cheo got a hit. It was the last birthday I ever got to spend with them before they died.

Oh my god dude. :(

Go Astros! Glad they are a point of happy memories for you.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Korranus posted:

I did too until I started going to Minute Maid on my own when I got into my teens and it's so much easier to get to than dealing with 610.

Getting in and out of the dome parking lot was a nightmare compared to dealing with downtown

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Oh my god dude. :(

Go Astros! Glad they are a point of happy memories for you.

Sorry, didn't mean to bring the mood down. Astros rock!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Getting in and out of the dome parking lot was a nightmare compared to dealing with downtown

Agreed - Downtown ballpark is awesome.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

https://youtu.be/NKUM9YBA26Q

I'm so happy that Altouwee and those Southern boys from the Southwestern South took us to the highest length by winning the world serious.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Imasalmon posted:

https://youtu.be/NKUM9YBA26Q

I'm so happy that Altouwee and those Southern boys from the Southwestern South took us to the highest length by winning the world serious.

I hate politicians

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

I hate politicians

Indeed. But it's ok because the Astros won the World Series!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

You still making those avatars TheChirurgeon? I had requested Lance McCullers but don't worry about it if you're done.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MrMidnight posted:

You still making those avatars TheChirurgeon? I had requested Lance McCullers but don't worry about it if you're done.

I am! It's a busy week, though, so I may not get another one done until tomorrow night. But I'm still working on them!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Random thought popped into my head the other day and I wanted to share it somewhere so my comedic genius didn't go unnoticed.

What if Justin Verlander went a super-progressive route and took his wife's last name when they got married eh?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It dawns on me that the Astros won 101 games with barely any effective pitching from McCullers thanks to injury, missing 2+ months of Keuchel, not having Verlander until the final month, and Correa missing six weeks. They'll also presumably improve the pen, the biggest weakness on the team. As well as the DH spot with Beltran likely to retire (and he was on a one year deal anyway)

Next season could be :stare:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that’s in a vacuum. The rest of the AL West will.....

....nevermind.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm bored. What is y'alls favorite non-Astros AL West team?

I am a big fan of the Mariners other than when they're playing the Astros

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm bored. What is y'alls favorite non-Astros AL West team?

I am a big fan of the Mariners other than when they're playing the Astros

I like the A's. Was a big fan of the bash brothers back in the day.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Probably the Mariners and it's 100% because of Griffey

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I only have one non-Astros team, and it’s the Blue Jays.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

My non-Astros team was the White Sox until, well you know. I guess it's kind of the Royals now just because some good friends are from Kansas City and are Royals fans.

As for other AL West teams? gently caress em all. A's I guess I dislike the least but meh.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Living in the Baltimore area left me with a small rooting interest in the Orioles and Nationals, but every year that goes by I'm more and more glad I don't have a strong emotional investment in either.

In the AL West I kind of like the A's but it's all driven by enjoying the Michael Lewis book.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you haven't seen this screen a million times I feel sorry for you

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

If you haven't seen this screen a million times I feel sorry for you

Griffey pretty much hit a home run every time he was batting in that game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The pitching physics were... questionable

I always enjoyed waiting until the last second to have the ball veer into the other batter's box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've somewhat adopted Seattle / Portland teams since living up here so I'm cool with the Mariners.

• Locked thread