Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm glad the Louis CK stuff is finally out with names and all. It was aggravating watching him still dismiss it as rumors when there was so much smoke. It is funny that only a few months ago Tig Notaro sent him that public message to address it all.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know how CNN makes those documentary series about the decades? I have a feeling that 2017 is going to need an entire series of its own.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
wow i heard the ck rumours but some time later the woman said she wasn't talking about louie

gently caress i wanted another season of louie

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One of the more disturbing reoccurring stories is that of these attractive foreign models that barely speak english going to meetings. So many of them tell the same story. They enter a hotel room and see a large figure appear from a dark corner wearing only a bathrobe. The figure is that of Harvey Weinstein and he's there to help them rehearse sex scenes. Some of the women have described him as an anthropomorphized pig.

I already have a lot of cynicism but hundreds of new revelations make me wonder if every...single...woman in major films has been seriously abused.

Has anyone heard much lately about Robert De Niro frequenting underage prostitution dens in Europe? It's one story I keep seeing online but never on TV/print media.

Also, Bill O'Reilly paid $32,000,000 USD to silence Lis Wiehl. One wonders what transpired there.

If Jack Chick was still alive he'd have so very much material right now.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Charlie Sheen is being accused of raping Corey Haim

Connecting the dots I suspected this would be revealed but I didn't want to throw a name out there (even if Sheen is highly unliked). If I had to bet $$$ I'd say this was going on during that film called Lucas. Jeremy Piven was also in that one.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpZwtkc0H8

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 9, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Louis CK's publicist is named "Lewis Kay"? Is that a joke? :psyduck:

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Well I'll be damned, the swamp is getting drained afterall.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It really feels like a big lovely band aid is being ripped off right now and I hope it continues. I want every disgusting prick in the public sphere to be outed by this time next year at the latest. Hopefully this leads to more people feeling safe enough to speak up about non-famous assholes in their lives too.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The thing I keep coming back to is how there are so many amazing actresses who just completely drop off the radar and you end up thinking years later, "What happened to her? Why hasn't she been in any good movies lately" and then all this comes out and you have the answers.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If there's some silver lining to all this awfulness maybe men in power will stop thinking they can sexually harass/abuse women with impunity.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I feel so sorry for Olivia Munn. Imagine walking into what you think is an empty trailer and that fat slob Bret Ratner emerges from the bathroom furiously masturbating and ejaculates right in front of you.

I would never stop vomiting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i updated teh op with C.K., Segal, Matthew Weiner, Charlie Sheen, and a few others

god this is depressing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think it's helping to fall into the trap that women can't or don't do this stuff too though. It just makes the women who do feel like they're untouchable because nobody would believe other women or men coming forward about them. I've been abused by women who had power over me, it probably happens less as a de facto function of more men being in power but absolutely not because women are inherently less scummy than men.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

i updated teh op with C.K., Segal, Matthew Weiner, Charlie Sheen, and a few others

god this is depressing

A woman has come forward stating that Robert Knepper assaulted her years ago.

https://www.avclub.com/prison-break-s-robert-knepper-accused-of-sexual-assault-1820308183

Also HBO is pulling a Netflix with Louie CK and removing all his stuff from their service, removing all his comedy specials and Lucky Louie from their streaming services.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought better of my friends. I really hope this guys being his normal contrary self and doesn't mean it.

quote:

Who's really at fault if someone asks to masturbate in front of them, proceeds to do exactly what they ask, but the witness stays all the way through completion? I mean, you're an adult, get the gently caress up and move if you don't want to be party to it. One of the witness was quoted as being paralyzed by fear

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Len posted:

I thought better of my friends. I really hope this guys being his normal contrary self and doesn't mean it.

ask him how he'd feel if it was his boss, and if he felt that if he did "get the gently caress up and move" he'd destroy his career. like, it's not just "some rear end in a top hat on the train" doing this, it's someone who is either a direct superior or someone who is well respected and has a lot of power in the field that all of the people involved are in.

and then if he continues to say dumb poo poo just drop him like a hot, masturbating rock.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

A woman has come forward stating that Robert Knepper assaulted her years ago.

https://www.avclub.com/prison-break-s-robert-knepper-accused-of-sexual-assault-1820308183

Also HBO is pulling a Netflix with Louie* CK and removing all his stuff from their service, removing all his comedy specials and Lucky Louie from their streaming services.

*Louis

God drat the Louis CK thing is disheartening. He's one of the best standups working today. Unapologetic biting social satire.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Super Fan posted:

*Louis

God drat the Louis CK thing is disheartening. He's one of the best standups working today. Unapologetic biting social satire.

He should probably consider being somewhat apologetic at this point.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He should probably consider being somewhat apologetic at this point.

He's probably done careerwise.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I got bored of CK's standup a few years back, but I'm really depressed to have those rumors more or less confirmed.

He's loving done for. I mean, shy of criminal charges or a civil suit that goes somewhere, he's a multi millionaire and nothing is gonna really hurt him or his lifestyle, but good luck ever seeing him again.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The pathetic, self-loathing desperation pervading all of those accounts of Louis CK really illustrates how emotionally stunted and needy these men are. His daughters are 15 and 12, it's difficult to imagine how they're processing this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Terry Crews has officially reported his groping incident to the LAPD. It eventually came out that the man responsible was Adam Venit, a top level executive at WME, Terry's talent agency. Venit has been placed on leave pending an investigation and Crews has left WME.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Terry Crews has officially reported his groping incident to the LAPD. It eventually came out that the man responsible was Adam Venit, a top level executive at WME, Terry's talent agency. Venit has been placed on leave pending an investigation and Crews has left WME.

I'm curious as to the thought process behind sexually assaulting a man who could tear your arms off with minimal effort.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm curious as to the thought process behind sexually assaulting a man who could tear your arms off with minimal effort.

It's a power thing, someone like venit getting off on the fact they're powerful enough in the industry to basically bully a giant man like Crews into compliance.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This past month has made me really rethink my rule of liking actors for their roles and not caring about their crazy real life antics. It was one thing when it was liking Tom Cruise and not caring about his Scientology stuff. I didn't even care about all of the cheating and drug abuse and honestly, even domestic abuse. Those things happen in the real non-Hollywood world too and I'm not going to stop liking the old Pirates of the Caribbean movies because Johnny Depp beat his wife 5 years later. But I do think a line has to be drawn for what appears to be a systemic abuse of power by producers and lead actors to sexually abuse young actresses. I mean this poo poo has to be like cockroaches. There's probably thousands of more stories that we haven't heard yet or never will hear about, and it's probably gone back a very long time.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One thing that stopped Crews from punching him was how it would have been reported in the media.

I think one of his tweets said something close to "240 pound black man beats down Hollywood honcho."

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Super Fan posted:

If there's some silver lining to all this awfulness maybe men in power will stop thinking they can sexually harass/abuse women with impunity.

Dobutful, unless the whole Hollywood system changes.

Many people get selected to work in a movie depending on how hot they are or who they know. Not to mention what they are willing to endure to get the job: work ungodly hours, do unsafe stunts, get almost no pay. All for the chance to reach super-stardom and now be the one who can dictate the terms to others.

And it's also not limited to women: see what Terry Crews had done to him, what Corey Feldman has been saying for years, and the whole Kevin Spacey affair.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I don't think it's helping to fall into the trap that women can't or don't do this stuff too though. It just makes the women who do feel like they're untouchable because nobody would believe other women or men coming forward about them. I've been abused by women who had power over me, it probably happens less as a de facto function of more men being in power but absolutely not because women are inherently less scummy than men.

Quoting because this was basically what I was going to say. I hope this leads to not only more women feeling empowered to speak out, but men as well, they arguably have even more a stigma talking about abuses and not being taken seriously.

I'm just glad this poo poo is finally starting to come out. So many of these people were already known creeps, but kept skating past any repercussions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing I worry about is the inevitable first false accusation, as it will start casting doubt on every accuser, and in some of these cases there is literally no way to "prove" that the incident took place (eg when someone is dead, as with Corey Haim). We try to live by "innocent until proven guilty" but when it comes to things like this, we (myself very much included) tend to just automatically believe everyone who comes forward. But it's naive in the extreme to think there just won't be false accusations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Brace yourself for backlash in general. Someone will get hit by this that the general public really likes, and can't accept the accusations against. At that point false accussation wont matter. There is going to be a saturation point as well. Hollywood will not blacklist everyone to the detriment of its own economy beyond a certain point. People will not be willing to let go of their most beloved idols, no matter what they're accused or even convicted of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

basic hitler posted:

Brace yourself for backlash in general. Someone will get hit by this that the general public really likes, and can't accept the accusations against.

Didn't that already happen with Cosby though? Or hell, OJ Simpson?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I hope the DOJ or something has full-time bodyguards for those kids in Stranger Things and IT now. It's almost certain some Predator in Hollywood has at least plotted to rape them already.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

viral spiral posted:

I hope the DOJ or something has full-time bodyguards for those kids in Stranger Things and IT now. It's almost certain some Predator in Hollywood has at least plotted to rape them already.

I read some article about how the kid who plays Mike had to ask everyone to stop being creepy towards him and his co-stars. Apparently there are a bunch of people who are RPF shipping him and the girl who plays Eleven. And I guess some 27-year old model told him to "hit her up in 4 years" and then claimed that she totally wasn't propositioning a child when people said that was gross.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shipping doesn't have to be all gross and poo poo, Mike and Eleven would make a cute in-show couple.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Appropriate shipping of the characters in show is fine. Erotic fanfic/RP or shipping of the actual actors is creepy as all hell imo.

Even if it's harmless fun, some fans get out of hand and will like read that poo poo at Q&A panels, it's super uncomfortable for adults let alone kid actors.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

One thing I worry about is the inevitable first false accusation, as it will start casting doubt on every accuser, and in some of these cases there is literally no way to "prove" that the incident took place (eg when someone is dead, as with Corey Haim). We try to live by "innocent until proven guilty" but when it comes to things like this, we (myself very much included) tend to just automatically believe everyone who comes forward. But it's naive in the extreme to think there just won't be false accusations.

There's probably been a false accusation already. Like you said, how would you know? The sheer volume of some perpetrators' incidents virtually guarantees that someone would try to get in on it for greed or fame or a twisted sense of justice. It's even easier with this new wave of "I don't remember but I apologize anyway" PR management responses. And it absolutely shouldn't affect the search for earnest truth and reconciliation, but it will, because it's always easier to deflect and counterattack than to accept and redress.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah I mean if you want to write fanfiction of the characters I don't care. But when it's (presumably) adults writing about how they want these two real kids to hook up... that's pretty weird.

Man, it's probably super crazy to be a child star nowadays. I'm sure it's always been difficult, but there are so many creepy people with no boundaries out there, and now they all have super easy access through social media.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah I mean if you want to write fanfiction of the characters I don't care. But when it's (presumably) adults writing about how they want these two real kids to hook up... that's pretty weird.

Man, it's probably super crazy to be a child star nowadays. I'm sure it's always been difficult, but there are so many creepy people with no boundaries out there, and now they all have super easy access through social media.

It's always been like this. There is a reason most child actors end up messed up

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

viral spiral posted:

Predator's don't rape, they hunt you down and rip your spine. Stop alien-shaming. :colbert:

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

And I guess some 27-year old model told him to "hit her up in 4 years" and then claimed that she totally wasn't propositioning a child when people said that was gross.

Geez, couldn't she just waited those 4 years, and then contact him? At least she would be propositioning a (young) adult, instead of a kid.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The other day there was a vile Twitter thread about some photos of 13-year old Millie Bobby Brown dressed up for a premiere. I can't imagine what it does to you to go online and come across poo poo like that about yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shipping is a cancerous practice and you can't have the mild stuff without also implicitly encouraging the depraved stuff.